New Card, Want Feedback
    Here are 3 of several variations on the same card:

#1 Baseline card
    403144264_NqDJG-L-1.jpg

#2 18% Colored background
    403144067_hcAm8-L-1.jpg

#3 Same as #2 but with slight white lines between images
    403144031_WiBfF-L-1.jpg

I would like feedback on white vs grey background and having the photos bleed into each other or broken up by the white line. There are several other versions (#1 with lines between images, etc) but you get the idea.

Since I can get this printed ganged 8 up in any combination, there are different versions with different images emphasizing landscapes, music/urban, kids/sports, and 'general purpose' card (above).
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Here are 3 of several variations on the same card:

I don't care for the white lines, but that could be because they're on a gray background. If you're going to use a rule to break up the images, have it be the background color, IMO. But I do like them unbroken.

I like the card overall, but I think that your name and "photography" are floating a bit awkwardly up in the corner. Not that you should move them from the corner, but it's something to do with the font size/leading/spacing. I guess that your name and photography are not different enough. They don't contrast enough in size and weight. A kind of neither here nor there thing. Also, what kind of photography? Are you selling services? If so, I want to know which ones. If it's just a calling card for a hobbyist, then no detail is needed.

Why is your domain a different color than the other type? It makes your logo not special and confuses your message about what is your contact info and what is your artistic flair (logo).

If you're going to do the gray background, I would make the logo darker, or make the background darker and make the logo white, or off-white. Again, more contrast, but this time I mean contrast like we mean in photography, in color values. deal.gif

Overall, I would go for the white background, make the URL the same as your other contact info, and fix your name/photography in the upper left so they feel more designed, more intentional.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    I don't care for the white lines, but that could be because they're on a gray background. If you're going to use a rule to break up the images, have it be the background color, IMO. But I do like them unbroken.

Thanks for the feedback. Points all well taken. The word Photography was originally the thinner line of that font, but I see what you are saying about no differentiation. I concur on darkening the logo if a gray background is used. The intent on the matching color for the logo and web URL was to tie them together. Earlier versions had the URL match the other contract info.

I have something like 24 variants (down from MANY more) and after awhile you just end up being too close to the process eek7.gif

Here is the white background/white rule version.
    403144449_LYQAT-L-1.jpg

Thanks for the feedback thumb.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    dyrangeddyranged Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2008
    www.dyranged.com
    404972605_NNcYy-XL.jpg
  • Options
    kristencatakristencata Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Help, please
    Hey David,
    I was looking through the posts about business cards and came across yours. I have been working on mine for a few days, but I'm still not happy with it. I was wondering what program you designed yours on. I love how you were able to showcase multiple photographs, and I would like to do something similar. Hope to hear from you soon.

Best, Kristen :-)

quote=DavidTO]I knew there was a reason that I put this up here.

So here's two more. I like the idea of getting rid of the big friggin' name, I mean, who really cares, anyway? It's in the URL, right?

First is Trajan, the font on my site, the second is Optima, stretched out a bit.

52711301-M.jpg

52711328-M-1.jpg[/quote]
  • Options
    CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2008
    My attempt
    I'm trying to come up with a new clean modern swirly fun yet elegant look... ne_nau.gif
    These are still in the work it out stage so any honest critique appriciated.
    :D

Front attempt:
    Note the sun/star between Inspiring Designs... not sure I like it but that's kinda the element I"m leaning towards.

406175370_zFyVU-O.jpg

Back side attempt 1:
    I have the computer gal with camera in color or black N white... I lean towards liking the color better.

406175327_Xa3H6-O.jpg

Back side attempt 2:
    Did this one simply cause it better matches my current smugmug header... but I do not like my current one and if I change my look to the above then I'll create a header to match it better.

406175350_eMZBr-O.jpg
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Cindy - did you realize you have a typo in your 1st two cards (they say "inspirng")

FWIW, I find the front side some what busy. I like the design of the back more, but think the cartoon photographer doesn't fit.

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,459 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Cindy wrote:
    I'm trying to come up with a new clean modern swirly fun yet elegant look... ne_nau.gif
    These are still in the work it out stage so any honest critique appriciated.
    :D

Front attempt:
    Note the sun/star between Inspiring Designs... not sure I like it but that's kinda the element I"m leaning towards.

Back side attempt 1:
    I have the computer gal with camera in color or black N white... I lean towards liking the color better.

Back side attempt 2:
    Did this one simply cause it better matches my current smugmug header... but I do not like my current one and if I change my look to the above then I'll create a header to match it better.

Honestly, I think the front is WAY too busy, but I don't care for 'swilly things' anyway. The whole look (front/back) doesn't say 'clean or elegant' to me. It looks a bit 'urban/street/amateur' to me.

Good luck!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2008
    Hey David,
    I was looking through the posts about business cards and came across yours. I have been working on mine for a few days, but I'm still not happy with it. I was wondering what program you designed yours on.

Just Photoshop. thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    madocmadoc Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 1, 2008
    ...and this is mine.
    407269114_DCzZW-M.jpg
    407274417_iPxWG-M.jpg

I've reworked it many times, trying to improve it more and more.

I want to keep it simple and clean, with as little information as possible.

Any suggestion to help me making it better?
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    Kalrog wrote:
    My first attempt... thoughts would be appreciated.

Apparently the compression pixelated the font... it doesn't look like that on the original.

It doesn't even look like a business card. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    chrismoore wrote:
    I used VistaPrint, good price, good quality.
    I too use Vistaprint and have been very happy with the cards I recieved from them- They send rather a lot of junk mail though, how many cases of customised stationary do they think I'll order :)
    408206254_v3QuN-S-2.jpg
  • Options
    pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Here's my card. I did double-sided to avoid cluttering up the front (edited my tel# here)...

pmbimages_card_front.jpg

pmbimages_card_back.jpg

I was going to use Overnight Prints until I found out that they rasterize everything as TIFFs, even if you submit a sharper quality vector/Illustrator file! eek7.gif I figure why submit the cleanest version of my text (esp. for business card size), to only have them downgrade the quality? headscratch.gif I use Adobe Illustrator and wanted to submit vector format / text as outlines to keep the text clean and sharp, not bitmapped.

So, I used Vistaprint. They accept and print Illustrator / vector formats, so that sold me, as well as their samples. This was my first time ordering cards online (I usually deal locally). I ordered my cards on a Wednesday night, and they arrived in my mailbox within a day! I got the "overnight" speed, and the print quality I wanted.clap.gifI was happy with the stock quality as well.

I don't receive any junk mail from them either, thank goodness. thumb.gifI went over each order page with a fine-toothed comb to make sure nothing was automatically selected/checked (re receiving any "special offers", etc).
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Frog Lady wrote:
    Cindy - did you realize you have a typo in your 1st two cards (they say "inspirng")

FWIW, I find the front side some what busy. I like the design of the back more, but think the cartoon photographer doesn't fit.

C.

Thank you, thank you as no I hadn't noticed the typo. You'll are wonderful!
    I've been re-considering the cartoon photographer myself... seems everyone around here likes her though and says it's so me... camera in hand, coffee and computer nearby... fun at work. Hmmmmm... decisions like these I hate.
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Honestly, I think the front is WAY too busy, but I don't care for 'swilly things' anyway. The whole look (front/back) doesn't say 'clean or elegant' to me. It looks a bit 'urban/street/amateur' to me.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for responding. I love swirlies... (could you tell :D ) but after talking to several people it seems everyone agreed too busy.

After re-reading what I'd wrote and your responce I realized more what I'm after... I said I wanted clean and elegant... but... clean and elegant isn't me... I'm down in the dirt with my sleeves rolled up laughing all the while and having a blast while getting the shots the customer wants.
    urban/street with a touch of elegance would be nice but leaves out the country fun loving person in me.
    I want my card to say (without words): Fun, down to earth, approachable, at work for you the customer.

Do you feel like the cartoon photographer says amateur? I havn't yet decided whether to keep her or let her go...

Here's a new Cartoon Photographer Card I've been working on along with a matching header for the website. What do ya think? I replaced the fake sun with a star burst.
    Should I totally trash this theme or work on it somemore?
    408837968_Bxjr5-O.jpg

408837948_ySEWw-O.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Cindy wrote:

Do you feel like the cartoon photographer says amateur? I havn't yet decided whether to keep her or let her go...

Yes, very much so.
    Here's a new Cartoon Photographer Card I've been working on along with a matching header for the website. What do ya think? I replaced the fake sun with a star burst.
    Should I totally trash this theme or work on it somemore?

Honestly the whole card seems 'amateur-ish to me. Sorry. ne_nau.gif

PM sent.
  • Options
    JzazziJzazzi Registered Users Posts: 111 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Cindy:
    The art looks great, but to me it looks copy-paste from a clipart gallery. Perhaps a different style of cartoon would be better, or something that filled the card more. I like a lot of the material on deviantart.com if that helps any.

What a great thread! How about this design? I like it, except that it's completely generic and does not hint that I cover sports, events, and corporate. Not really sure how to make it clear in that regard. Any ideas?

-Justin
  • Options
    FedererPhotoFedererPhoto Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Jzazzi wrote:
    Cindy:
    How about this design? I like it, except that it's completely generic and does not hint that I cover sports, events, and corporate. Not really sure how to make it clear in that regard. Any ideas?

-Justin

I think it would be more effective if jzazzi.com was a working site.

I really like the comedy factor of the "I shoot people"... it would make me remember it. And that (combined with giving them your contact information) is really the point, right?
    Minneapolis Minnesota Wedding Photographer - Check out my Personal Photography site and Professional Photography Blog
    Here is a wedding website I created for a customer as a value-add. Comments appreciated.
    Founding member of The Professional Photography Forum as well.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Here is my newly designed card. Photography is a hobby, but sometimes it is nice to have
    something to give people I meet along the way when photographing sth. It matches the
    theme of my website:

I think I'll also need a backside design to make it complete, or maybe I should just leave it black?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,251 moderator
    edited December 22, 2008
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I think I'll also need a backside design to make it complete, or maybe I should just leave it black?
    I would recommend using one of the lighter grays from your design on the back. That would allow people to write notes on the card, where a black background wouldn't.

--- Denise
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2008
    Jzazzi wrote:
    Cindy:
    The art looks great, but to me it looks copy-paste from a clipart gallery. Perhaps a different style of cartoon would be better, or something that filled the card more. I like a lot of the material on deviantart.com if that helps any.

What a great thread! How about this design? I like it, except that it's completely generic and does not hint that I cover sports, events, and corporate. Not really sure how to make it clear in that regard. Any ideas?

-Justin

AWESOME! "hello, my name is....(i shoot people)..." i like that! that's really catchy! clap.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited December 22, 2008
    com3 wrote:
    AWESOME! "hello, my name is....(i shoot people)..." i like that! that's really catchy! clap.gifthumb.gif
    Creeped me out a bit lol3.gif

Hi Joe wave.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Creeped me out a bit lol3.gif

Hi Joe wave.gif

hey ian! long time no see!
  • Options
    takeflightphototakeflightphoto Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    Clubflyers.com
    www.clubflyers.com

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this site or not, and with 149 pages of posts, I'm not reading through the whole thread to find out.

They do a very nice job with two sided, glossy business cards and postcards and are quite reasonably priced. Mainly marketed to the indie music scene, but heck, why not photographers?

jon

Jon Lyksett
    Take Flight Photography
    www.takeflightphoto.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited December 26, 2008
    com3 wrote:
    hey ian! long time no see!
    Hiya Joe!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2008
    I have been reading this thread with interest. There are some nice card designs and some not so nice.

But all think they should have ONE card design. I disagree.

Personally I have two cards, for two purposes. One as a Real Estate Broker and one as an officer of an unrelated corporation.

Photographers who work in different environments serving different clients should consider the market they wish to sell to and match the card to that market.

Example: Suppose you shoot portraits for a living and your card reflects that. But you love to shoot motorsports and want to get published. Would you give the "portrait" card to the art director at the social event and expect to get credibility? Hmmm....

It seems to me, the biz card can be the first step of a new relationship, it can be an advertisement (stylishly subtle or in your face) and a lot of posters recognize that. But the design can categorize you, for better or worse.

my .02

Rags
    Rags
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2008
    www.clubflyers.com

Not sure if anyone's mentioned this site or not, and with 149 pages of posts, I'm not reading through the whole thread to find out.

They do a very nice job with two sided, glossy business cards and postcards and are quite reasonably priced. Mainly marketed to the indie music scene, but heck, why not photographers?

looks like they do hav pretty good prices! thanks for the link! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2008
    I ditched the cartoon computer girl I had previously (thank you everyone) and come up with this.
    Because I'm in a rural area 4 miles out of town I've put a small map and driving directions on the back. Here's the front. Thoughts?

443827644_qfwEF-M.jpg

Website header is along the same lines however I'm still playing with it... http://www.inspiringdesigns.net
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2008
    Cindy wrote:
    I ditched the cartoon computer girl I had previously (thank you everyone) and come up with this.
    Because I'm in a rural area 4 miles out of town I've put a small map and driving directions on the back. Here's the front. Thoughts?

Website header is along the same lines however I'm still playing with it... http://www.inspiringdesigns.net

Can you really see these six small pictures at 2" x 3"? I can hardly see them on the web. I'm not a fan of pictures on a business card, but if you must have a picture on your card, pick one. I think your recent attempt is better, but it still looks too busy.

If you have a map on the back, them list the address there. I would remove the "Owner/Photographer"...that should be obvious.
  • Options
    JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2008
    Looking for a little bit of help here. I am going to be using these mainly for racing events. I am trying to keep it simple and clean but a little "edgy" or grungey.

445142966_Gjh2n-M.jpg

445142973_WQuiz-M.jpg

These are going to be 4x6 hand out more than business cards. Not going to get into the whole bit of it, not like I would explain it to everyone I hand it out to but, it's really all metaphorical. The card has two sides, one clean, one not so much; a lot like my self. Trying to keep with this, can anyone help?
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX