Options

SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    TBTTBT Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2008
    Votes for: Bulk Download, Videos in slideshows, Support for slideshow transitions
    Votes for:

1. Bulk Download of a gallery, ideally automagically import into picasa.
    2. Automagic playing of videos in slideshows.

Picasaweb has both features and my audience misses them.

Also, I would like to request support for text based transitions to enhance slide shows.

Currently I use MS paint to create a blank jpeg with text in the center. and maybe a few small pictures. For example, I'm getting ready to post pictures from a trip to Maui for the family on the east coast. I'll be creating blank pictures (to insert into my slideshow) with text on them with the titles:

Maui Trip July 2008
    Ferry Boat!
    Water Play
    Walks on the Beach
    Evening Fun

It would be nice if the task could be completed in smugmug, for example through controlling the size of the slideshow caption for specific slides.
  • Options
    ThandoThando Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2008
    Feature Requests
    Thanks for the feature requests so far. I'm going to send them on to the rest of the crew this morning. They've all been recorded so far. Keep 'em coming!
  • Options
    lashmonsterlashmonster Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2008
    email templates
    While it's already asked for, I'm just casting my vote for it as well....

When emailing from SM, I'd like to either choose the photo that sends the viewer to the gallery - or even better have a few templates to choose from. For example - the standard large first photo - but maybe a few more in a row like the top of dgrin, or a "Polaroid" view/collage view (another stolen idea from picasa- but you get the idea).
  • Options
    hammockhammock Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 17, 2008
    New Picture onmouseover
    I saw this on .mac and would be a very simple hack.

When the mouse goes over the thumbnail for a gallery, a new thumbnail should display whenever the mouse moves (while still hovering over the thumbnail).

Was the explained clearly?
  • Options
    nicnic Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Overseas printing center?
    just a suggestion for all the users that are overseas but still using smugmug.

i am located in Australia, and honestly I'm not to keen in having people buy the prints from the US and then having to get the shipped. i would much prefer to have an Australia based printer that will allow for us Aussies to get it printed easier and faster.

so in short, is it possible for smugmug to get a printer in Australia? this would help me and im sure alot of other Australians that are currently or thinking about signing up to smugmug.

thanks all, Nic
    Canon 400D + Grip - tamron 70-200 - canon 18-55 - canon 75-300

www.ndavphotography.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Hi nic, sure it's possible, but we're not working on that at the moment....thank you for the request!
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2008
    hammock wrote:
    I saw this on .mac and would be a very simple hack.

When the mouse goes over the thumbnail for a gallery, a new thumbnail should display whenever the mouse moves (while still hovering over the thumbnail).

Was the explained clearly?

Are you referring to the thumbnails used to identify the gallery on the homepage? So, just by moving the mouse over them you can see multiple thumbnails from the gallery? I don't see the benefit that that sort of thing inside the gallery. Just want to be clear on this.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Maybe there is a way. But I have linking and things turned off for my gallery. However I'd like an easy way to submit the link for an image to a service such as tineye.com.

Tineye lets you send any picture and it will find where else it is used even with heavy modifications. Right now it's free and I'd like to take advantage of it.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2008
    Here is a great one. Allow visitors to create e-cards. Using the same card interface, allow a visitor to make a card from any picture (gallery enabled) then email that card to friends. The email would include the card, along with a link inviting the person to come see the rest of the pictures. This can result in more sales for everyone.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    TomNisbetTomNisbet Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited August 19, 2008
    Image Name in Replace Photo
    This one has been requested before, but it never seems to make it to the FR lists. Can we get the image number displayed on the actual replace image screen? When I process a proof-delay order, the image name is shown on the order screen, but when I press the Replace button to go to the screen where the file name is REALLY needed, it isn't anywhere to be found. It would be great to have the image name right there on the screen while browsing through my local files. Please add this for the sake of all of your users with short attention spans!

I did just recently notice that the gallery name is printed at the top of the replace screen. That's awesome, because it usually corresponds to a directory name on my local storage.
  • Options
    hammockhammock Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 19, 2008
    Thando wrote:
    Are you referring to the thumbnails used to identify the gallery on the homepage? So, just by moving the mouse over them you can see multiple thumbnails from the gallery? I don't see the benefit that that sort of thing inside the gallery. Just want to be clear on this.
    That is correct. For example, a quick google search for ".mac photo galleries" turns up:

http://gallery.mac.com/emily_parker

Hover the mouse over the thumbnail for an entire gallery. As the mouse moves, you can see different thumbnails from within that gallery.
  • Options
    JoeGJoeG Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 19, 2008
    hammock wrote:
    That is correct. For example, a quick google search for ".mac photo galleries" turns up:

Hover the mouse over the thumbnail for an entire gallery. As the mouse moves, you can see different thumbnails from within that gallery.

I like that! I don't know how practical that is for SM since thumbnail loading is so painfully slow already, but it's pretty sweet.
    Joe Gearhart
    Photos | Blogs | Twitter | MySpace | Facebook
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2008
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    Here is a great one. Allow visitors to create e-cards. Using the same card interface, allow a visitor to make a card from any picture (gallery enabled) then email that card to friends. The email would include the card, along with a link inviting the person to come see the rest of the pictures. This can result in more sales for everyone.

Cool. Nice request
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2008
    hammock wrote:

K, Got it. Thanks for the request
  • Options
    edited August 20, 2008
    TomNisbet wrote:
    This one has been requested before, but it never seems to make it to the FR lists. Can we get the image number displayed on the actual replace image screen? When I process a proof-delay order, the image name is shown on the order screen, but when I press the Replace button to go to the screen where the file name is REALLY needed, it isn't anywhere to be found. It would be great to have the image name right there on the screen while browsing through my local files. Please add this for the sake of all of your users with short attention spans!

I did just recently notice that the gallery name is printed at the top of the replace screen. That's awesome, because it usually corresponds to a directory name on my local storage.

It's made it to my list now. I'll keep track of it.
  • Options
    encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2008
    Please consider allowing quasi-HTML (like in the BIO section on a user's front page) in the gallery descriptions on the gallery page...

I have a highly tweaked front page (thanks to the quasi-HTML in my BIO) which links only to the categories I want to show people, the rest are for personal use only... I really like this... I wish I could have even more control over this front page! But not enough to upgrade! Heheh!

Anyway, I can see request this maybe conflicting with the short gallery descriptions on the gallery listing pages (when it comes to allowing the use the image tag)... But it would be great to be able to use pretty hyperlinking in these descriptions instead of ridiculously long full URLS... For example!

Pretty please?
    Ta!
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    vonwyssvonwyss Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 24, 2008
    Thando wrote:
    Got an idea? Give it to us here. All of the SmugMug crew read this thread so feel free to share your ideas. Go ahead, give us the requests.

Summary of "hot requests" (NOT implemented yet!
    Virtual Galleies
    Backup Customizing!
    Customizing widgets
    more levels of categories
    Coupons packagages
    Pro 'lightbox' or 'favorites'
    Better organizing!
    Self Fulfilmnet
    More Pro Lab Options
    Metallic Prints
    Improve Bulk Setttings in many ways
    PWD protect a category
    EXIF in display copies
    Better control over true/auto
    Improve the Search- vastly improve it!

When this thread is closed, you can be sure that all of the feature requests have been shared with everyone at SmugMug.

As an international Smugmug user, I'm disappointed to see that the request for working UTF-8 support in categories and keywords is missing in the "hot list" - although it seems to have been present in almost every FR thread (and several bug threads).

The current situation is somewhat strange: when a keyword including a non-ascii character is uploaded, this character seems to be preserved (it appears in the "edit keyword" field), but is dropped when the keyword is rendered. This produces very strange words (maybe sometimes even "bad" words) in all the languages that use such characters (for instance, German needs the äöü & such). When the non-ascii is uploaded as an HTML entity, it causes the edit keyword feature to break completely (the string is cut where the entity character used to be).

The reasons for not supporting UTF-8 that were mentioned in the prior posts are varied but non seems very valid. Handling UTF-8 using AJAX is not a problem (in fact, it works at smugmug for captions and such) and URL encoding for any unicode character is defined using UTF-8 (RFC3987).

I do think that this feature would make smugmug much more attractive for an international audience - and should not be difficult to implement (definitely an easy one compared to many of the above).

Regards,

Leo
  • Options
    hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2008
    Did a search and didn't find this one, but somehow I suspect it's been requested before. Anyways: how about a "batch" edit geography interface? If I want to assign geography to a pile of pictures already in SM it's cumbersome to have to do it for each photo - reloading, re-locating and so on.

I know there are plenty of third party apps to do this before uploading, but I have a bunch of pictures that I'd like to go back through without having to remove and re-upload.

By the way, if you can implement:
    Summary of "hot requests" (NOT implemented yet!
    Self Fulfilmnet (sic)

When this thread is closed, you can be sure that all of the feature requests have been shared with everyone at SmugMug.
    I know some religious leaders who would like to speak with you.
  • Options
    pancamopancamo Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    New photos since last visit
    Like the "Most Popular Photos" feature, I would also like to see a "New Photos" feature that would show new photos since the visitors last visit.

I watch several smugmug galleries, but it would be nice to be able to click on "New Photos" someplace to see the new pics since last visit...

I know I can use RSS, but I also want a way to allow users to click on "New Photos" to view new stuff...

dan
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2008
    I would love for users to be able to email subscribe to my updates/new uploads. I know that RSS is available, but my parents/grandparents have no idea what that is and aren't keen on learning all this "newfangled stuff".

If they got an email saying

Hello Pam,

Joe updated his photo gallery. View his newly updated photos here (link to photos added since their last visit), or view all his galleries here (link to my smugmug homepage).
    Joe Gearhart
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2008
    pancamo wrote:
    Like the "Most Popular Photos" feature, I would also like to see a "New Photos" feature that would show new photos since the visitors last visit.

I watch several smugmug galleries, but it would be nice to be able to click on "New Photos" someplace to see the new pics since last visit...

I know I can use RSS, but I also want a way to allow users to click on "New Photos" to view new stuff...

dan

I'm not arguing against having Smugmug offer this, but it would be possible with some Javascript and some HTML to implement this yourself. You'd use the Javascript to cookie the visitor with the date of their visit. On their next visit, you'd read the previous cookie to see when they last visited (and set a new cookie). You could then offer some HTML that would offer them a link to click on that would do a date search from the date of their last visit until now and they'd see all the recent photos.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I'm not arguing against having Smugmug offer this, but it would be possible with some Javascript and some HTML to implement this yourself. You'd use the Javascript to cookie the visitor with the date of their visit. On their next visit, you'd read the previous cookie to see when they last visited (and set a new cookie). You could then offer some HTML that would offer them a link to click on that would do a date search from the date of their last visit until now and they'd see all the recent photos.
    But we don't all have pro accounts :cry
    Joe Gearhart
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    JoeG wrote:
    But we don't all have pro accounts :cry

Agreed. This would only take a "power" account (ability to customize).

And, upon further reflection, the view by date in Smugmug is "date photo taken", not "date photo uploaded" so this probably wouldn't work anyway.

Edit: there's a preference in the control panel to set whether the timeline uses "date photo taken" or "date uploaded". This could work.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2008
    Add another vote for metallic prints…

Besides me personally wanting them, I know of two pros who stay with Miller's ONLY because they offer metallics and you don't.
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    pancamo wrote:

dan
    Have you tried the timeline feature? It will show the newest photos added
    across all public galleries.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    JoeG wrote:
    I would love for users to be able to email subscribe to my updates/new uploads. I know that RSS is available, but my parents/grandparents have no idea what that is and aren't keen on learning all this "newfangled stuff".

If they got an email saying

Hello Pam,

Joe updated his photo gallery. View his newly updated photos here (link to photos added since their last visit), or view all his galleries here (link to my smugmug homepage).

Hey JoeG... You could sign up with FeedBurner.com and set up something with them... It's free and works off your SmugMug feed... It'll take you some time and paitience to set it up, but once it's working and customised they way you like, it should work a treat! I've used it on my tumblr blog recently and have just set it up for my SmugMug gallery feed now too... Check it
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    kdizzkdizz Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 27, 2008
    show sender for email additions
    Could the email address for the sender be saved somewhere for stuff that's added via email? Preferably in such a way that its sortable. So all pix from Andy@Andy.com can be easily moved to Andy's gallery?
  • Options
    HenfotoHenfoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 30, 2008
    Zenfolio features needed
    I used a trial for Zenfolio just to check out what else is out there. I was surprised by the pricing options that they offer. Their interface is lacking but I would like to see Smugmug use:

Coupons
    Photo Packages
    Pricing Lists/Tiers
    Better home page with more info available.
  • Options
    BafloBaflo Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    Catagory/Gallery Thumbnail Sizes
    This is a copy of request that I saw from an earlier post that I would like to see also. It is this:

It would be great if there was an overidel option for users to choose concerning which thumbnail size would display on their category pages. Right now it's different depending on the number of galleries in a category. (I think <5 galleries gives bigger thumbnails.) How about letting a user choose one size that stays consistent across categories regardless of the number of galleries in the category.
  • Options
    FunguyphotoFunguyphoto Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2008
    I just moved to SmugMug from Sharpcast (they are going to replace their photography tool with a new product called SugarSync in February 09). SmugMug is a better package in almost every way and I love it!

...But...The sharing features, specifically the address book and grouping, in Sharpcast are very nice. I think enhancing the address book and sharing tools in SmugMug would make it more compelling package.
This discussion has been closed.