Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    becksiebecksie Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 3, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    Hi, Becksie. I believe you actually have to open a gallery to use the buy button for products. On categories and galleries pages, the buy button does as you said. mwink.gif

Oh thanks! That worked!
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    I am surprised this is the only place that there is a validation error. While I try to write valid code - the biggest validator for me is how it renders in the most popular browsers :)

Is there any hack that relies on the ID of the style element? Maybe removing it all together would be better.
    jfriend wrote:
    I discovered this issue when running someone's page through the W3C validator (because they were getting weird errors in IE).

If you pick a username that starts with a number, then you will end up with an invalid CSS ID in your page. There's one place in the page where an ID is generated with the username and no prefix on the username. If your username starts with a digit as in the example below, the W3C says that it's an invalid CSS ID. A simple solution would be to use an alpha-prefix on the ID. Here's an example:
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" id="4EverPhotographyCSS" href="http://www.4everphotography.com/include/css/gecko/1.9/win/user_4EverPhotography-20081230125246-stretch.css" />

From this customer's site:

http://www.4everphotography.com/

I don't know if it does any harm or not, but seems like something that's easy to change to not take any risk that some browser will barf on it.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2009
    {JT} wrote:
    I am surprised this is the only place that there is a validation error. While I try to write valid code - the biggest validator for me is how it renders in the most popular browsers :)

Is there any hack that relies on the ID of the style element? Maybe removing it all together would be better.

Oh, there are plenty of things that the validator complains about. I'm not trying to be picky that way. This one just seemed like a clear violation of a CSS rule that IDs don't start with numbers and it gets triggered when an account holder picks a name that starts with a number (which is probably fairly rare, but does happen).

I'm not aware of any hacks that reference that ID. It seems a bit of an odd place to put an ID (I can't think of any customization reasons to reference it) so I assumed you guys put it there for your own purposes.

Why not just preface it with a fixed prefix so there's still an ID there if somebody somewhere is using it. The change would break them, but at least it would be a trivial fix rather than having no ID.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    I seem to have 'all of a sudden' lost the ability to 'get a link' on any of my pictures. I have checked the settings in numerous galleries that I have linked to before and all are the same. When I click on 'share - get a link' I get the screen with the various sizes but nothing in any of the spaces.

I've already tried logging out & back in, move to different computer, and waiting a day to see if it came back. Is it just me or is there a problem?

Thanks,
    Sherry
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    slpollett wrote:
    I seem to have 'all of a sudden' lost the ability to 'get a link' on any of my pictures. I have checked the settings in numerous galleries that I have linked to before and all are the same. When I click on 'share - get a link' I get the screen with the various sizes but nothing in any of the spaces.

I've already tried logging out & back in, move to different computer, and waiting a day to see if it came back. Is it just me or is there a problem?

Thanks,
    Sherry
    Try updating your Flash?
    http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2009
    Andy wrote:

That seemed to do the trick.

Thanks,
    Sherry
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2009
    Stats "Photos Viewed" this month showing "0"???
    It is Jan 5 PM. Why is Control Panel/Stats "Photos Viewed" for this month showing zero? I know there have been a number of viewers since the 1st...received comments from some. headscratch.gif
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    It is Jan 5 PM. Why is Control Panel/Stats "Photos Viewed" for this month showing zero? I know there have been a number of viewers since the 1st...received comments from some. headscratch.gif
    It's busted right now, I've made our engineers aware and I'm sure they will fix - sorry for the hassle!
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    It's busted right now, I've made our engineers aware and I'm sure they will fix - sorry for the hassle!
    Thanks. thumb.gif
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    mine has been behaving very oddly since I started trying to upload 5Dmk2 jpgs to my 5Ds Mk2 first impressions gallery

e.g I clicked on the gallery thumb and got the SM homepage, tried again and it was OK. Also took ages to save image descriptions sometimes - I mean like 5 minutes etc
    plus ther odd goings on

No biggie, it'll get sorted I knowmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    JKLionheartJKLionheart Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2009
    Smugmug Login and File Upload Order
    I've been having these problems for a while, but have found reasonable workarounds so I didn't bother reporting it, but now I'm curious:

1) Login: After I login, I always have to hit reload to see what I should see when logged in: Control Panel, Upload buttons, etc. Not sure why this is, but it's easy enough to hit F5 once. :D

2) Uploading: Batch uploads using the 'simple' Java uploader don't always upload photos in the order that I specify (seems IE is the only browser that allows the Java uploader to click and drag to reorganize order, Firefox doesn't as far as I've experienced).

So I've changed my methods to upload files one-by-one while I'm going through post-processing. The thing is, even uploading files one-by-one, sometimes (and here's where I'm not sure) the single photo gets sorted between the last uploaded photo (in the gallery, the last photo of the last page of the gallery). So if I have 5 photos, and upload photo 6, 7, 8, the order will be: 1,2,3,4,6,5 -> 1,2,3,4,6,7,5 -> 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,5. And then I will have to drag-to-arrange to sort it out. Usually after sorting it back manually, subsequent uploads return to being placed at the end. I do not have auto-sort enabled, if that helps.

I'm currently at work, so I didn't have time to browse if others were having similar issues. Apologies if this has already been brought up many times ne_nau.gif
    Canon 5D Mark II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | EF 28-135mm | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | Feisol CF 3301N Tripod + Kirk BH-3 Ballhead | Speedlite 430EX

Canon S95 | Panasonic FZ-20 w/ 36-432mm (35mm equiv.) | Canon SD500 | and of course my old Canon S230 =D

http://photos.jklionheart.com
    http://jklionheart.smugmug.com
  • Options
    wlandrumwlandrum Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 7, 2009
    My photos aren't showing up when I click on the gallery to view them. I cannot see the thumbnail or picture. They do show up if I do the slideshow or editing (captions, order, etc). The gallery thumbnail on the main page does show.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    wlandrum wrote:
    My photos aren't showing up when I click on the gallery to view them. I cannot see the thumbnail or picture. They do show up if I do the slideshow or editing (captions, order, etc). The gallery thumbnail on the main page does show.
    We would need a link to your site in order to help. I would suggest putting the link in your dgrin footer so it's always there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    Will do. Thanks!

Everything was great last night and then the problem started when I logged in today.

http://landrumfamily.smugmug.com/

ETA: I just check in IE and it works but not in Firefox. So I guess the problem is that. Still not sure how to fix it though.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    wlandrum wrote:
    Will do. Thanks!

Everything was great last night and then the problem started when I logged in today.

http://landrumfamily.smugmug.com/

ETA: I just check in IE and it works but not in Firefox. So I guess the problem is that. Still not sure how to fix it though.
    They are all working for me in Firefox 3. I would suggest clearing your Firefox cache and, if that doesn't help, then clear your Firefox cookies (or at least clear all the Smugmug cookies). Is it all galleries? Or just some galleries? If only some, please link to one causing the problem for you.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2009
    Thank you. Everything is fixed.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2009
    1) Login: After I login, I always have to hit reload to see what I should see when logged in: Control Panel, Upload buttons, etc. Not sure why this is, but it's easy enough to hit F5 once. :D
    If you're logging in on a custom domain, that's the way it needs to be done for the cookie to be set on your domain as well. This does not happen if you use your nickname.smugmug.com address to manage your site.
    2) Uploading: Batch uploads using the 'simple' Java uploader don't always upload photos in the order that I specify (seems IE is the only browser that allows the Java uploader to click and drag to reorganize order, Firefox doesn't as far as I've experienced).
    The reason for that is that your photos are not getting necessarily processed in the same order they were received from the uploader. That's because we have lots of processing servers.
    If you would like to have the gallery arranged as it was received by the uploader, you would have to set 'autosort' to 'by date uploaded'.

I hope that helps.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    If you're logging in on a custom domain, that's the way it needs to be done for the cookie to be set on your domain as well. This does not happen if you use your nickname.smugmug.com address to manage your site.

The reason for that is that your photos are not getting necessarily processed in the same order they were received from the uploader. That's because we have lots of processing servers.
    If you would like to have the gallery arranged as it was received by the uploader, you would have to set 'autosort' to 'by date uploaded'.

I hope that helps.

Sebastian
    Thanks for the response! #1 makes sense to me now. #2 should have made sense to me before, but is crystal clear now too, thanks!
    Canon 5D Mark II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | EF 28-135mm | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | Feisol CF 3301N Tripod + Kirk BH-3 Ballhead | Speedlite 430EX

Canon S95 | Panasonic FZ-20 w/ 36-432mm (35mm equiv.) | Canon SD500 | and of course my old Canon S230 =D

• Options
    vinnieevinniee Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 8, 2009
    HELP logging in
    I can't log into my site for some reason. Is there a sitewide problem? Thanks
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2009

I hope that helps.

Sebastian

This is a related question: If I choose to 'autosort' using 'by date uploaded', would I be able to do an initial sort this way, and then use 'drag to arrange' or 'arrange mode' to manually sort w/in this context at a later time? Or does the 'autosort' preserve the sort method permanently, ignoring all manual order adjustments? The context is that I may want to put different variations of a post-processed image next to the original image that are created/uploaded much later.

• Options
    edited January 8, 2009
    This is a related question: If I choose to 'autosort' using 'by date uploaded', would I be able to do an initial sort this way, and then use 'drag to arrange' or 'arrange mode' to manually sort w/in this context at a later time? Or does the 'autosort' preserve the sort method permanently, ignoring all manual order adjustments? The context is that I may want to put different variations of a post-processed image next to the original image that are created/uploaded much later.
    You can always turn auto-sort off. Then, do a manual one-time sort by date uploaded (a different gallery command) which can become your starting point for manually ordering. The key is that you have to first turn auto-sort off. Then, you can decide if you want to use a manual sort as a starting point before manually ordering the images.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2009
    Problem with Most Popular Photos?
    My Most Popular Photos on my Homepage display two "golden oak" photos that look the same (but from different galleries). Yesterday, I "replaced" both photos in their galleries with same pic but with larger file size for printing larger prints.

Today, although the two thumbs still show on Homepage MPP, clicking on them takes me to the .../popular gallery where they are not shown. I understand that replacing them probably changed the photo ID which lost any related ratings. But how do I get the thumbs off of the Homepage MPP display?
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    ThandoThando Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    My Most Popular Photos on my Homepage display two "golden oak" photos that look the same (but from different galleries). Yesterday, I "replaced" both photos in their galleries with same pic but with larger file size for printing larger prints.

Today, although the two thumbs still show on Homepage MPP, clicking on them takes me to the .../popular gallery where they are not shown. I understand that replacing them probably changed the photo ID which lost any related ratings. But how do I get the thumbs off of the Homepage MPP display?

They still there? I'm not seeing any popular photos that are not loading. Should be gone now. Sometimes it takes a while to work itself out.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    You can always turn auto-sort off. Then, do a manual one-time sort by date uploaded (a different gallery command) which can become your starting point for manually ordering. The key is that you have to first turn auto-sort off. Then, you can decide if you want to use a manual sort as a starting point before manually ordering the images.

Yeah, you have to turn auto sort off in the Customize Gallery settings. Unfortunately, when you do so, it probably won't stay in the order of Date Uploaded but will go back to the original positions that you started with. The Arrange Photos tool under the Tools menu has a quick sort that will let you sort by Date Uploaded to then allow you to move the photos around before saving their positions.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    vinniee wrote:
    I can't log into my site for some reason. Is there a sitewide problem? Thanks

You still having a problem? There shouldn't be any issues with logging in any more.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    Thando wrote:
    They still there? I'm not seeing any popular photos that are not loading. Should be gone now. Sometimes it takes a while to work itself out.
    No, they are no longer there because I viewed my site from test browser and added a few thumbs up to other pics until they got pushed off. Crappy way to do it. Is there any way to delete or change Popular Photos ratings for individual photos?
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    agallia wrote:
    No, they are no longer there because I viewed my site from test browser and added a few thumbs up to other pics until they got pushed off. Crappy way to do it. Is there any way to delete or change Popular Photos ratings for individual photos?

Change ratings... Yes and no. Yes, you can always rate photos down with the thumbs. You'd have to do it before the photos are replaced. And because you can't change the ratings very quickly, that gets very tedious for you. No, you can't do it without the usual rating methods. Yes we can, but our method is not much better. Either way, it's tedious to change the rating on a photo until it falls off the visible Most Popular. As far as just removing thumbnails that are stuck, just let us know at the help desk and we'll see if we can clear things up for you.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2009
    This thread is getting a bit long. I'm closing it and opening a new one. I think everything was addressed, I know everything is not fixed, but hopefully everything has had some needed attention. If we missed any problems, please remind us here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=117244
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Please fix the slideshow so that it will still display and NOT use 100% of your CPU if the splash image is not correct. Good defensive coding techniques should still be able to display the slideshow and not gobble up your Windows CPU just because the splash image URL is incorrect.

Here's the latest customer victim of such a behavior in the slideshow.

being fixed as we speak and going out soon with a bunch of other slideshow fixes.
This discussion has been closed.