Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

Comments

• Options
    glad2badadglad2badad Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2008
    Thanks, not sure what it was...
    Allen wrote:
    They load here in IE6. Try clearing your cache, might be a corrupt cookie.
    Thanks. I just did a page refresh and everything is fine now. It had been a while since posting about it. I had refreshed earlier to no avail. There was a javascript error (icon showing in lower left of browser window) at the time, but I forgot to note exactly what it said.

Anyway...all's good for now. :-) Thanks.

BTW - I know what you mean by clearing the cache...just didn't get that far (no need at this point).
  • Options
    Andrea H.Andrea H. Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Trying to upload some photos just now and it toggles saying that it's got connection problem and is "retrying" and just sits there and retries repeatedly. I just upload files not 10 minutes ago and it worked great. Now on both computers (one is xp and one is vista), I have internet, but smugmug won't let me upload.

Any ideas?

ETA:

And if I try to use a different uploader, the page doesn't even load to offer me other options.
    Canon 40D & Canon Rebel XT
    [canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5] [canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6]
    [canon 35L] [canon 50 f/1.8]
    [canon 75-300 f/4-5.6] [canon 430ex]
    [various - hoods, CFcards, diffuser]
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Andrea H. wrote:
    Trying to upload some photos just now and it toggles saying that it's got connection problem and is "retrying" and just sits there and retries repeatedly. I just upload files not 10 minutes ago and it worked great. Now on both computers (one is xp and one is vista), I have internet, but smugmug won't let me upload.
    Hi Andrea,

Could you give it another try? The uploading page had a temporary glitch, but all is back to normal.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Andrea H.Andrea H. Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    There's a glitch in the Matrix!

Yes, it's working now. Thanks for looking at that for me!
    Canon 40D & Canon Rebel XT
    [canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5] [canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6]
    [canon 35L] [canon 50 f/1.8]
    [canon 75-300 f/4-5.6] [canon 430ex]
    [various - hoods, CFcards, diffuser]
  • Options
    lungdoclungdoc Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 20, 2008
    Uploading Issues
    Hi. Been having issues today (and never prior) uploading to my account. Pictures seem to "go" from Send to Smugmug or LR uploader but nothing shows up in gallery and get an error message. Using a more basic default uploader directly it seems to "freeze" after about 500-600 kb of data on a shot. Tried uploading to a new gallery with Send to Smugmug and it creates the gallery but no pictures in it - at least none yet and usually they start popping up nearly immediately. No real changes made on my end - Win XP.
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2008
    Interesting - works ok from my laptop. I'll need to try a reboot and cache clearance - sort of surprised cache would matter as Send to Smugmug and Lightroom uploader aren't Firefox apps. Open to any brighter explanations. Same internet connection and home network for both.
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    lungdoc wrote:
    Hi. Been having issues today (and never prior) uploading to my account. Pictures seem to "go" from Send to Smugmug or LR uploader but nothing shows up in gallery and get an error message. Using a more basic default uploader directly it seems to "freeze" after about 500-600 kb of data on a shot. Tried uploading to a new gallery with Send to Smugmug and it creates the gallery but no pictures in it - at least none yet and usually they start popping up nearly immediately. No real changes made on my end - Win XP.

Interesting - works ok from my laptop. I'll need to try a reboot and cache clearance - sort of surprised cache would matter as Send to Smugmug and Lightroom uploader aren't Firefox apps. Open to any brighter explanations. Same internet connection and home network for both.
    Looking at your upload log, it looks like the connection drops during upload and the entire file was not received.

Could you try again and also run traceroutes/line quality to determine where the problem is.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/3385500/
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2959046/

Send the results to the help desk and one of the engineers will take a look for you. http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2008
    lungdoc wrote:

yeah that'\s what Im getting tooheadscratch.gif

Normally I only upload one or two pics but last night I tried to upload 86 pics but this morning it has hung at about 20.
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited October 21, 2008
    richW wrote:
    Looking at your upload log, it looks like the connection drops during upload and the entire file was not received.

Could you try again and also run traceroutes/line quality to determine where the problem is.

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/3385500/
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/2959046/

Send the results to the help desk and one of the engineers will take a look for you. http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

Did this - long first hop of 81 MS on the Line quality Test - told that might be my problem - but the laptop where uploads work fine gets the exact same result and is on same router/network. Still a mystery to me.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Slideshow splash
    I think further instructions are needed on this wiki page. Have ran into this on
    a few sites that are not doing this and it causes the visitors cpu to run at
    close to 100%. Or fix the flash show code.:D
    splash: '<url>'     

* Url to an image you want to set as your splash image
        * Default: blank
        * URL must use #46; instead of any dots '.'
        [COLOR=red]* WARNING! Remove this line if you don't want a splash[/COLOR]

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    I think further instructions are needed on this wiki page. Have ran into this on
    a few sites that are not doing this and it causes the visitors cpu to run at
    close to 100%. Or fix the flash show code.:D
    splash: '<url>'     

* Url to an image you want to set as your splash image
        * Default: blank
        * URL must use #46; instead of any dots '.'
        [COLOR=red]* WARNING! Remove this line if you don't want a splash[/COLOR]

I really think the slideshow code should be hardened against invalid parameters so it doesn't mess up when any invalid parameter is put in, particularly any of the URLs. This is end users, mostly cutting and pasting who have no idea what Javascript is. They are going to make mistakes. It wouldn't be bad to fix the wiki too, but the code should be hardened.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I really think the slideshow code should be hardened against invalid parameters so it doesn't mess up when any invalid parameter is put in, particularly any of the URLs. This is end users, mostly cutting and pasting who have no idea what Javascript is. They are going to make mistakes. It wouldn't be bad to fix the wiki too, but the code should be hardened.
    Hi John, we have your request by email as well. Thanks for taking the time to point this out!
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    Iphone Bug with Timeline
    For over a month now - when viewing my site on my iphone and I choose the path:

TIMELINE / SHOW ALL - NEWEST

the page sits and spins like its waiting to display the newest photo but then it just stops and sits on that page.

when I select the SHOW ALL - OLDEST
    it works fine and returns a photo very fast -

Am I the only one experiencing this - or is it a bug? I'm thinking we need to get the bug spray out.

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2008
    For over a month now - when viewing my site on my iphone and I choose the path:

TIMELINE / SHOW ALL - NEWEST

the page sits and spins like its waiting to display the newest photo but then it just stops and sits on that page.

when I select the SHOW ALL - OLDEST
    it works fine and returns a photo very fast -

Am I the only one experiencing this - or is it a bug? I'm thinking we need to get the bug spray out.

Thanks.

http://www.twincitiesphotography.com/iphone/#_years works for me on my site on my iphone and your site here

http://www.twincitiesphotography.com/iphone/#_years

try it, you may just have to wait a bit.....
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Andy - it still does not work for me - interestingly the URL does not change at all when I click the SHOW ALL - NEWEST

But when I click the SHOW ALL - OLDEST, the URL changes to:

http://www.twincitiesphotography.com/iphone/gallery.mg?Timeline=1

However when I click on SHOW ALL - NEWEST, the url stays the same, which is:

http://www.twincitiesphotography.com/iphone/timeline.mg

When I click on SHOW ALL 2008 it changes to:

http://www.twincitiesphotography.com/iphone/timeline.mg?Year=2008

The same thing happens on my iphone browser and my pc browser - the URL seems stuck at http://www.twincitiesphotography.com/iphone/timeline.mg

Shouldn't the "timeline=1" change to some other value for hte show all newest?

UPDATE - I did try this on my work pc and the URL finally changed to: http://www.twincitiesphotography.com/iphone/gallery.mg?Timeline=1&order=recent

However I've tried this multiple times over the last month on my iphone and its almost like it times out after about 20 seconds -

UPDATE 10-30-08 Andy - I was finally able to get this to work - after restarting the search 3-4 times - however - as you know - it only loads about 20 images at first then you need to click the 'load more images' link at which point it does the same exact thing - it sits and spins as if it trying to load more images and then stops. At this point that link to load more images is gone so you have no choice but to go back to the very beginning and start over.
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,243 moderator
    edited November 1, 2008
    Gallery link does not take viewer to specified photo
    I posted this as a thread on October 13th. I've added a note to that thread today, and I'm going to post a link here too since the previous request seems to be lost... I still have hopes that you will fix this small but very annoying behavior soon.

The gallery link from the Get a Link page used to take the viewer to the specified photo. Unfortunately at some point around October 13th the URL for Gallery on that page was broken.

Instead of a correct url http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/6145242_yiNwf#387020598_WawNF, which takes the viewer directly to the photo in the gallery, a url like this is shown - http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/6145242_yiNwf//387020598_WawNF. This takes the viewer to the first photo in the gallery, which is not what the gallery link should do, and not what it did earlier in the month.

Yes, I know, I just need to change the // to # to get the link to work properly. But I shouldn't need to do that!

Here's a link to the full thread - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=955192#post955192.

A fix please!

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2008
    I posted this as a thread on October 13th. I've added a note to that thread today, and I'm going to post a link here too since the previous request seems to be lost... I still have hopes that you will fix this small but very annoying behavior soon.

The gallery link from the Get a Link page used to take the viewer to the specified photo. Unfortunately at some point around October 13th the URL for Gallery on that page was broken.

Instead of a correct url http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/6145242_yiNwf#387020598_WawNF, which takes the viewer directly to the photo in the gallery, a url like this is shown - http://denise.smugmug.com/gallery/6145242_yiNwf//387020598_WawNF. This takes the viewer to the first photo in the gallery, which is not what the gallery link should do, and not what it did earlier in the month.

Yes, I know, I just need to change the // to # to get the link to work properly. But I shouldn't need to do that!

Here's a link to the full thread - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=955192#post955192.

A fix please!

--- Denise
    We'll check it asap. Sorry about that :(
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We'll check it asap. Sorry about that :(
    Thanks Andy - looks like this is fixed now.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    Move photo
    I moved a couple photos to another gallery and the one photo that should
    have been left in the originating gallery also moved. It looks like when going
    to the move photos page the photo that you're on in the gallery is
    automatically highlighted on the move page so it gets moved also if you don't
    notice it's highlighted. Could be a problem in larger galleries noticing
    that. I've used move many times and never had this happen.
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    I moved a couple photos to another gallery and the one photo that should
    have been left in the originating gallery also moved. It looks like when going
    to the move photos page the photo that you're on in the gallery is
    automatically highlighted on the move page so it gets moved also if you don't
    notice it's highlighted. Could be a problem in larger galleries noticing
    that. I've used move many times and never had this happen.
    It's not a bug, it's new intentional behavior, I neglected to get it in the release notes. When you use any tool, we'll preselect the photo you are on. Sorry. Will folks get used to it or do you think it needs notice somewhere?
  • Options
    edited November 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    It's not a bug, it's new intentional behavior, I neglected to get it in the release notes. When you use any tool, we'll preselect the photo you are on. Sorry. Will folks get used to it or do you think it needs notice somewhere?
    Tried a gallery with many photos and the highlighted one was buried a few
    scolls down so it isn't easily noticed. It could be common with recently
    uploaded photos, photos that fall at the end or top, jumping to the end with
    the end key would miss the highlighed one. Or just clicking the ones at the
    top with not scrolling far enough.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    Andy wrote:

It sounds like a generally good idea to me. I've personally been annoyed when I select an operation on the current image and then I get a screen of all the thumbs and I have to go find the current image all over again. This new functionality solves that issue.

The issue that Allen points out could be solved if the initially selected image is scrolled into view so the user can clearly see that it's already been selected for you. It's a problem when it's not initially visible.

If you can't do that, then you're in a bad spot. User's will think it's a pain they have to go refind the current image just to select it (like I thought it was a pain) or users will not realize that one is already selected (like happened to Allen).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    stats still invisable...
    my stats have not been working for at least a month...get a blank page when I go to "details," if I hit "last months" and then go foward to "next months" sometimes the current will apear, I posted this problem once but got no response.......could someone please check it out for me? thanks allen
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Fishead wrote:
    my stats have not been working for at least a month...get a blank page when I go to "details," if I hit "last months" and then go foward to "next months" sometimes the current will apear, I posted this problem once but got no response.......could someone please check it out for me? thanks allen
    Would love to - can we have a link to your site so we can check?
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    Get a link screen, links do not copy to clipboard in IE7
    I often use the "get a link" screen to pick up links to my galleries/photos.

I noticed today that clicking on a link to copy it does not place anything on the clipboard in IE7. It works correctly in Firefox (using version 3.0.3).

I click on the link, get a "copied" confirmation, then paste into a document. The link isn't pasted; instead I get the last think that I "copied".

Added a little later... I did find a workaround for this behavior. I click on the link to copy it. Once I've clicked on it once, and knowing that it really wasn't copied, I can right click on it again. This time copy is available, and when I click copy, the link really is copied.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2008
    I often use the "get a link" screen to pick up links to my galleries/photos.
    Known bug - it's cuz of Adobe Flash 10 -which you apparently have in IE but not for FF yet. :D

We'll get it fixed.
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2008
    Problems viewing XL & larger sizes; also Slideshow
    Since the Tools upgrade a few days ago, I have discovered that certain photos in my galleries cannot be viewed at XL or larger sizes???? Not all photos...just certain ones that worked fine before. Clicking on XL or larger brings up view window which continuously says "loading..." but no photo.

Also, Slideshow hangs up on those galleries when it reaches the problem photos that can't be enlarged.

Please help. Thanks.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Known bug - it's cuz of Adobe Flash 10 -which you apparently have in IE but not for FF yet. :D

We'll get it fixed.

Thanks for staying on top of it Andy!clap.gif
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • Options
    clscdkclscdk Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 4, 2008
    Link to Control Panel gone
    The link to the most important function is gone? What's up with that?

I now have some weird buttons on the top of my screen when logged in. But the link to my control panel is gone?

How can this be? The control panel link is the most important link!

Please somebody get the control panel link back.

---

On a related note: Why its it that there's this page when I log in where I have to click on a link to my control panel? In stead of just showing me the panel?

I mean... I log in for chrissake ;) so I'm supposed to go to my control panel. I do that each and every time. Why do I have to click an extra link and wait extra seconds? My browser's got a "back" button already, I don't need no steeenken link for that ;)
  • Options
    TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2008
    for me, even when I am logged in, I still have to enter my password again to get into the control panel....weird.
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
This discussion has been closed.