Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Me too dug... I'm in a slump too..umph.gif we'll slump together..rolleyes1.gif
    Only one way out of a slump... gotta hit your way out... when the bell rings, ya gotta come out snapping!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Me too dug... I'm in a slump too..umph.gif we'll slump together..rolleyes1.gif

I think you deserve a well earned slump rolleyes1.gif
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2039&stc=1
    attachment.php?attachmentid=2018&stc=1
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    forum members slumping together? heheh
    maybe we need a "behind the red door" forum :Diloveyou.gif:Diloveyou.gif

here's a bit of line and curve, found at a local classic car show i was at today.

7030045-L.jpg
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    Old Milk Can
    7032929-M.jpg
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2004
    Bow Saw
    7032931-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2004
    Hole Digger
    7038154-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2004
    Iron Bench
    7032930-M.jpg
  • Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    milk can (smooth honest look)

bow saw (I love it but it pulls my eyes down and to the left.)

hole diger

I love

I feel the iron bench has to much going on

I know nothing about photos so feel free to disregard.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2004
    andy wrote:
    maybe we need a "behind the red door" forum :Diloveyou.gif:Diloveyou.gif

here's a bit of line and curve, found at a local classic car show i was at today.

7030045-S.jpg
    I am not, am not, I repeat, racing out to a car show. Looks like you had a great sky there, though.

Nice. Good lines and curves.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    Thanks for the comment...
    ysr612 wrote:
    milk can (smooth honest look)

bow saw (I love it but it pulls my eyes down and to the left.)

hole diger

I love

I feel the iron bench has to much going on

I know nothing about photos so feel free to disregard.

Bow Saw - Now that you mention it, there is too much light in the lower left corner. I can darken that. Distracts from the main subject.

Iron Bench - You're right there. I guess I thought the same thing. Just needed to hear someone else say it.

Thanks for the other kind words.
  • Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    I liked this one, shot sat. as a teaching tool

master1.jpg
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    I can't comment on any of these pictures until I come out of my slump...eek7.gif
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I can't comment on any of these pictures until I come out of my slump...eek7.gif
    Still having rain here in Florida. Not many lines and curves in sight with the deadline looming!!

Tried my spiderweb again.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    This is a ball moss in my fence.
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    6993042-M.jpg

6993004-M-1.jpg

Yeah, so I wanna play too???
    What do you guys think?
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    Need more time ... need more time ...
    I can't believe how prolific a group this is!
    Every time I blink, a couple hundred more additions have been made! I have been struggling just to make time for the various challenges, let alone actually get something to submit.

I didn't seem to do too well with curves, mostly lines ...

7071535-L.jpg

7071538-L.jpg

7071537-L.jpg
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    Pipe Organ
    7076743-L.jpg

I have not had much time to shoot... How is this. From a wedding last night.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    Bryan wrote:
    7076743-S.jpg

Judging by the number of toe pistons and box pedals, this has to be a fairly massive organ! Must have sounded great.

About the only thing I would have done differently is to have all four of the box pedals in the same position. The one on the right (positif) looks out of place. But other than that, a very nice and interesting photo!
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:
    Still having rain here in Florida. Not many lines and curves in sight with the deadline looming!!

Oooh, Mitchell, I really like this one. The spider in the corner absolutely makes the shot. Excellent!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    Bryan wrote:
    7076743-S.jpg

Nice shot, Bryan. If you're looking for any feedback, maybe bring out some shadows to give it depth? That might help accentuate your already strong composition. It's a cool shot, love the flow, your eye is pulled through the shot.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    I can't believe how prolific a group this is!
    Every time I blink, a couple hundred more additions have been made! I have been struggling just to make time for the various challenges, let alone actually get something to submit.

I didn't seem to do too well with curves, mostly lines ...

7071535-S.jpg

I like it. it's the kind of thing I find myself shooting a lot of.

digismile wrote:
    7071537-S.jpg

Great idea. Perhaps the moon's slightly artificial? Maybe fade it out just a wee bit, to make it look more natural? (:D I'm assuming you pasted it in?)
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    I shot for a few hours yesterday. Nothing great, I'm afraid. They're all missing the second element, I think. What perplexes me (and may drive Rutt up a wall!:D) is that I always seem to prefer the B&W version.

7077247-L.jpg

7076269-S.jpg

7072753-L.jpg

7075799-L.jpg

7074746-S.jpg

I think this shot may be the sole exception - the B&W doesn't jump as much as does the color.

7074191-M.jpg

7070612-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I like it. it's the kind of thing I find myself shooting a lot of.

Great idea. Perhaps the moon's slightly artificial? Maybe fade it out just a wee bit, to make it look more natural? (:D I'm assuming you pasted it in?)
    The moon was actually in several shots I did that evening to the right of the right pyramid in the photo. I simply switched to my telephoto and shot it and pasted it in. I liked the pictures with the moon, but I just wanted it to look BIG. I'll play with it a bit more and decide whether to keep it ...
    Thanks for the feedback
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I shot for a few hours yesterday. Nothing great, I'm afraid. They're all missing the second element, I think. What perplexes me (and may drive Rutt up a wall!:D) is that I always seem to prefer the B&W version.

7076269-S.jpg

Good gracious, Sid, that reminds me of a restored bldg we have downtown. They fixed it up in those colors............. well, they had a lot of explaining to do, guess people used to like that stuff.

Anythere, is that picture of the clouds and a grid, I couldn't figure it out, thought maybe it was a cat on top of the thing. Disappointed that it was clouds. I think you should get a cat, put it on the grid and do it in blk and white:D

The only one I liked better in color is the one at the bottom. The bldgs, they had good color, or colors that I like.

So, things like that can go either way. I have read re the psychological effects of color vs blk and white. Take an urban scene, particularly a poor urban scene, would look more depressing in seeing kids jump rope (a famous picture, it was used as an example), the kids looked poor and depressing in the blk and white, and looked cheerful no matter their circumstances in the color.

Interesting. Usually I can take a picture either way. Kind of like carrying whichever lens.

What you ought to do is take a color picture with a glorious sky, but blow a highlight right in the middle, just a tad, so it looks fixable. Then post that in blk and white, let Rutt know that you have the color, but the blown sky is driving you nuts. It would keep him busy for awhile.

Smile, I think of Rutt everytime I see what I call a Turner Sky, he called it that first. I am seeing them all over now, and I think of him.

I didn't know he doesn't like blk and white til you mentioned it. Why doesn't he like that. Are we stealing from the masters........? I have one particular photo from this lines and curves, I call it alone, it is a beach thing, and it is blk and white, because of the psychological thing I was talking about. I like it best that way.

Everyone is too good now for me to worry about them who started all this photography. I wish I had known it was a "profession" when I was choosing a college, I wish a lot of things. Never thought I would get into this stuff now, too much good stuff. Good stuff on this challenge. Everyone and their uncle carries a camera. Gotta do blk and white to show we are "pros" about this stuff, serious people, or different. I did blk and white for my daughter's wedding, love it. I loved your winning shot last time.

We all probably have our "Rutt" stories. Smile. That shows he is popular.

I like him. I want everyone to know I am working on something, but not mad at anyone, no one.

ginger

I can even work my little finger today, either it is OK, or it has become numb.

7075799-L.jpg

That shoud be a cat, g.

I think this shot may be the sole exception - the B&W doesn't jump as much as does the color. (Hey, you saw it, too, g)

7070612-M.jpg
    g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

I think this shot may be the sole exception - the B&W doesn't jump as much as does the color.
    Sid I really like number one.. the stairs and I personally love the black and white.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Snappy I like your shots of old tools.. I still like your shot of the hills for your entry tho.
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    ysr612 wrote:
    I liked this one, shot sat. as a teaching tool
    Hi ysr612 .. interesting shot.. welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing more shots. You might want to increase the contrast a tad to add a little drama. Just my two cents:D
    Lynn
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    Lines and curves??
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    I was determined to get some shots for this challenge, so I went out today to see what I could get. These are the two I like. Lynn, the water pump is very nice.

7090117-L.jpg

7089361-L.jpg
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    It's not easy to get a good spider web, but you did. We don't have spiders like that around here.

Mitchell wrote: