Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    7077247-L.jpg
    Sid, I love your "Stairway!" Especially in B&W. Great composition, texture, and tonal range. Nicely done!
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mitchell... I like your fence. I think for me it is all of the texture that draws me in.
    http://www.dgrin.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2071&stc=1
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Snappy... I love your "Hole Digger"... You have really put in some effort and some tough competition! Great color! (Laughing.gif though... I saw your saw and read "Bone Saw" and I'm thinking Ewww, Snappy is even grosser than I am, But that does'nt look like a bone saw... so I quick went back and looked again, and saw the right name... "Bow Saw.")
    7038154-M.jpg
    ginette

"In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2004
    Sunday's Efforts
    I am really stymied... Would really love some input and comments concerning the next few photos... Had a couple of ideas and ran with them... Talking about pushing it to the last minutes... Auuggghhhh...

"One"

7094915-L.jpg

"Two"

7095083-L.jpg

"Three"
    7095150-L.jpg

"Four"

7094653-L.jpg

"Five"
    7079565-L.jpg
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I shot for a few hours yesterday. Nothing great, I'm afraid. They're all missing the second element, I think. What perplexes me (and may drive Rutt up a wall!:D) is that I always seem to prefer the B&W version.

Sid, I do like to convert some things to black and white. People act like it is either or. In this digital game, I think I can have my cake, eat it, and then decide which to keep (bad metaphor).

So, since I like black and white also, perhaps sometime you could tell me how you prepare your photos for black and white, and what method you use to get them there. I have been using the Hue, Saturation, Lighter thing. Then I want to do something to make them pop, we have become spoiled by POP, I think. If not pop, I want a deeper black, or something.

I started to read the Dan Margulis book. "Started" is the operative phrase there. I did get the fact that the preparation is very important in the conversion process. Since you have been doing your thing for awhile, what have you found works for you.

I have a simple, levels to saturation to contrast (sometimes) to sharpening (most times) assembly line way I do most of my photos. There are some I spend hours on, but I do prefer simple. If the results are not good, simple can turn into hours.

Anyway, have you written a tutorial on it, I think Andy has, but what do you do to convert yours.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    I am really stymied... Would really love some input and comments concerning the next few photos... Had a couple of ideas and ran with them... Talking about pushing it to the last minutes... Auuggghhhh...

"Two"

7095083-L.jpg

ginette
    2 is my fav.thumb.gif

Tim
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2004
    AltPro wrote:

ginette
    I like some of those, don't know how they would fit, but then my brain is a bit slow on the subject of curves and lines right now, too.

But didn't you have Rory's Bum?

Why don't you throw a slight tint on it, pinkish, babyish, you know, and then throw some G Blur on it and just hand it in and get out your wide lens.....just don't worry about it. I wouldn't. Can't wait for the wide contest to start.

Or sepia tone it, that is innocent looking and blur that a bit, either wiping off, or putting that "soft light" blend in layers on the blur, then going down to an agreeable percentage. That is only one step, not counting the sepia and the blur. It is the only thing I really know how to do in layers.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Lines and curves??
    Lynn, that looks like a painting. I like it very much; soft pastel tones and.... blur. mwink.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    I love the lighting on the comb/brush/mirror photo! Really nice shot!

I haven't read this monster thread in a long time, just popped in to say that there are a lot of great images entered in the contest. It's nice to have 20+ in there for the judges to choose from. My company used to have an ad slogan "Everybody Wins"; I think that phrase fits here! thumb.gif

Now on to "wide angle"...
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    7094915-S.jpg

Altpro, if you had a studio, you'd kick some butt. Your ideas are really interesting. This one's a cool idea. Looks dark on the inside of the whisk. I guess you're trying to draw the eye to the reflection. I think the shadow behind it is also interesting. It feels kinda dark.
    AltPro wrote:
    7095083-S.jpg
    [/QUOTE]

I like this one a lot. Nice shape, color and idea. I think the fact that you don't have proper lighting makes this difficult to pull off. Bits that you'd like to make lighter are a wee bit dark.

AltPro wrote:
    7079565-L.jpg

This is really interesting. The golden light spilling through the comb and brush makes it jump to life. It leaves me wanting to see more of the comb; the framing forces my attention to the mirror handle, when I want to follow the light and shadow of the comb and brush.

Really creative work, Altie.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    I was determined to get some shots for this challenge, so I went out today to see what I could get. These are the two I like. Lynn, the water pump is very nice.

7090117-S.jpg

Sandy, what a wild, surreal first image! I have no idea how you pulled it off, don't suppose it matters. Love the energy and strangeness of it. Is it trying to say something?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    Ginger, with regard to B&W conversion, I have no secret method. I've tried the Zero-Zero method, and been frustrated by its randomeness.

So I use the Channel Mixer. The first thing I try is jacking the bottom/blue slider far to the left, and pushing the green and red sliders to the right. I'm always looking for strong contrast, and I read this was a way to do it. It doesn't work for all shots, but when it does work, you get strong whites, blacks and a good range of grey. Nice pop.

Failing that, I'll try the sliders in extreme positions, always looking for contrast without blowing out any highlights, or making the image too dark. I fiddle a lot. One other thing I do to give it some pop, is to go under Selective Color, select Black from the drop-down menu, then play with the black slider.

And finally, I'm not shy about messing around with the Contrast slider, adding just enough Brightness to prevent the thing from looking hideous.

I hope that helps.
    Sid.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I shot for a few hours yesterday. Nothing great, I'm afraid. They're all missing the second element, I think. What perplexes me (and may drive Rutt up a wall!:D) is that I always seem to prefer the B&W version.

7074746-M.jpg

I think this shot may be the sole exception - the B&W doesn't jump as much as does the color.

This is my kind of photo (especially the colour). Love this one! Great job ...
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    Time's up. :cry Here's one last idea.

7098524-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    I'm sure I'm not the only one that sometimes feels 3 steps behind the pack ... A few of you are in a league of your own ...

7099600-L.jpg

7099602-L.jpg

All I know is that my pictures are getting better because of these challenges ...

Time for bed ...
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    Merci, mes amis.
    wxwax wrote:
    Altpro, if you had a studio, you'd kick some butt...
    This is really interesting. The golden light spilling through the comb and brush makes it jump to life. It leaves me wanting to see more of the comb; the framing forces my attention to the mirror handle, when I want to follow the light and shadow of the comb and brush.
    Really creative work, Altie.
    Thanks Sid... I submitted the 1950's vanity set, as "Vanity." The warm light was what caught my eye, too... I miss having studio lights... Hard to go back to using a "Mag-Light!" Thanks for taking the time to comment... Means a lot.

Thanks Shakey... Thanks Ginger... I really do appreciate your critiques. Ginger, I decided not to use RoRy's BuM, as it just wasn't what I was headed for... When I get a chance I'll dig up the negative to one I want you to see...

Good Luck All. Lots of G-R-E-A-T work out there... Stiff competition to say the least.

ginette
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    Altie, no kidding about the competition. Everyone's game keeps getting better, it's great to see. A rising tide and all that. 1drink.gif

I lied, I had one more that needed some Photoshop meatball surgery before it was ready to be seen.

7101604-L.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Altie, no kidding about the competition. Everyone's game keeps getting better, it's great to see. A rising tide and all that. 1drink.gif

I lied, I had one more that needed some Photoshop meatball surgery before it was ready to be seen.7101604-S.jpg
    Solid shot Waxythumb.gif It nails the challenge and holds interest.
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    Thanks, it took some work, you would be surprised if you saw the original. Don't know what it is saying. There are some others, now I can't decide which photo to enter.

wxwax wrote:
    Sandy, what a wild, surreal first image! I have no idea how you pulled it off, don't suppose it matters. Love the energy and strangeness of it. Is it trying to say something?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    Beautiful!!!

wxwax wrote:
    Time's up. :cry Here's one last idea.

7098524-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    Now we are down to the wire. I have to agree, the photos on this challenge are incredible. Had fun today photographing these.

7104585-L.jpg

7104586-L.jpg

7104587-L.jpg
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    Lighting was amazing yesterday afternoon....

7107203-L.jpg
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    7107605-L.jpg
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    this is so cool to hear ....
    digismile wrote:

All I know is that my pictures are getting better because of these challenges ...

Time for bed ...

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Lynn, that looks like a painting. I like it very much; soft pastel tones and.... blur. mwink.gif
    gotta have the blur sid..and I still love your stairway in black and white..clap.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    *** good news ***
    so far 21 entries in this challenge - that means that we'll have 10 finalists.

remember too - now your job, each and every one of you, is to make sure that you all "get out the vote" we need lots and lots of voters.

finally - a good friend, and fine photographer, penelope duns, is going to be guest judge for our next challenge clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    Great work everyone. I've been "out of the loop" the last couple of weeks. Too many new posts to comment on, but it looks like everyone has been busy. Great to see some new folks posting as well.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2004
    tmlphoto wrote:
    Great work everyone. I've been "out of the loop" the last couple of weeks. Too many new posts to comment on, but it looks like everyone has been busy. Great to see some new folks posting as well.
    Welcome back Tom :D
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 9, 2004
    Geezus! it seems like i can't afford to play on the weekends anymore... can we setup a "dgrin working man's challenge"??? :D

PS. Lynn, count me in on that slump. umph.gif Even the new lens from Andy hasn't really jumpstarted me. I was hoping that some of his talent may have rubbed off on it. Andy: what'd you clean that thing off with!!!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Now we are down to the wire. I have to agree, the photos on this challenge are incredible. Had fun today photographing these.

7104587-S.jpg

Sandy, I really like this shot. Dunno if it's a challenge shot, but who cares? You got a really nice feel for this person. It just feels right.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    Thank you Wxwax for your comments.

QUOTE=wxwax]Sandy, I really like this shot. Dunno if it's a challenge shot, but who cares? You got a really nice feel for this person. It just feels right.[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2004
    Last efforts.
    Hey All....
    At 3:00 in the morning, having nothing better to do, I was up playing with another idea, while my husb
    and slept snoring in the bed to my right... The kittens were quite amused with the whole thing, as normally when night falls and the hour is late, I am urging them to be still and sleep...
    IF you have time, let me know, one of these? or the "Vanity" shot?

"Dreamstate"
    7111506-L.jpg

"Nights Revisited"

7110941-L.jpg

"Vanity"
    7079565-L.jpg

Dugmar, I like your beach scenes, very soothing. I suspect that you too, as others, are having trouble deciding "which picture?"

Lynn, Very nice hand pump... I love them. You really have gotten the "glamour blur" down to an art, eh?

Sandy, I too like your woman weaving the palms... Even if it is not right for the challenge, it is a gentle image. She looks content in her task.

Bonne Chance, mes amis...
    ginette