Dgrin Meetups - Western US

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2006
    Popies/Canyons - moved to Sun
    Forecast shows showers on Sat. I still wanna go out and shoot, so I'm changing it to Sunday. Short stop by Reserve and off to some canyons...
    Kendall, is it OK?
    David, maybe now that the track meet is "out of the pictire" :-) you can join me/us, too?
    Lemme know!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited April 18, 2006
    OK, any ideas?
    I realized the Red Rock Canyon SP is a bit too far away for what I was thinking for an easy-to-medium one-day trip.
    Is there something closer around that is still photogenic enough?
    Aero-nut, Angelo, do you guys know this area?

BTW, do you know this area?
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I realized the Red Rock Canyon SP is a bit too far away for what I was thinking for an easy-to-medium one-day trip.
    Is there something closer around that is still photogenic enough?
    Aero-nut, Angelo, do you guys know this area?

BTW, do you know this area?

Hey Nik,

Yeah, Red Rock is usually my "local" trip...but there are some areas up in the Angeles Forest area. It looks like that's basically where your map of the lake is looking at, but I'm not sure which lake that is..I'll have to look it up on my topo map software.

If we do something on Sunday, I can only do a half day thing, because I have to be back in Lancaster by 3:00 pm.
    edited April 19, 2006
    Kendall,
    aero-nut wrote:
    Hey Nik,

Yeah, Red Rock is usually my "local" trip...but there are some areas up in the Angeles Forest area. It looks like that's basically where your map of the lake is looking at, but I'm not sure which lake that is..I'll have to look it up on my topo map software.

If we do something on Sunday, I can only do a half day thing, because I have to be back in Lancaster by 3:00 pm.

Lancaster by 3pm is totally fine by me, since it means I'm home 4-4:30, just in time for martini:-)1drink.gif

It would be great if you could find something in Angeles Forest, it seems like a nice area...thumb.gif
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    Nik, I won't be making it this time, but I would love to make it out to Vasquez Rocks sometime...or the poppies...Anza Borego....Venice Pier....
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    I also wouldn't mind going... but I am baby-bound on Sunday (and going to Anaheim on Saturday).

I'm also still interested in Joshua Tree... after seeing so many on my recent trip, I'm curious as to what it's like.
    Chris
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I also wouldn't mind going... but I am baby-bound on Sunday (and going to Anaheim on Saturday).

I'm also still interested in Joshua Tree... after seeing so many on my recent trip, I'm curious as to what it's like.

Yes! That, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited April 22, 2006
    Tomorrow?
    Nik, Are you still wanting to go shoot somewhere up here tomorrow? I'm looking at some maps right now. I'm itching to go out and do some shooting, especially since I somehow ended up with this today:

65723790-S.jpg

Well, that tax refund didn't last very long. mwink.gif
    edited April 22, 2006
    Congratulations!
    aero-nut wrote:
    Nik, Are you still wanting to go shoot somewhere up here tomorrow? I'm looking at some maps right now. I'm itching to go out and do some shooting, especially since I somehow ended up with this today:
    {30D img}
    Well, that tax refund didn't last very long. mwink.gif

Nice toy:-)

As to the trip - no, sorry, had to scramble. Tomorrow busy at work ne_nau.gif Went today to Angeles Crest (pkchas coming soon).

But don't mind me, this new baby of yours MUST go and play outside:-)
    Have fun!
    Congrats once again!!clap.gif
    edited April 22, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nice toy:-)

As to the trip - no, sorry, had to scramble. Tomorrow busy at work ne_nau.gif Went today to Angeles Crest (pkchas coming soon).

But don't mind me, this new baby of yours MUST go and play outside:-)
    Have fun!
    Congrats once again!!clap.gif

Cool. No problem. Sorry for the last minute response. Glad you got to go out yesterday. I'd like to see some of your pics.

Will go out and play tomorrow. Stay tuned. mwink.gif
  • pmccurdypmccurdy Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited April 22, 2006
    aero-nut wrote:
    Cool. No problem. Sorry for the last minute response. Glad you got to go out yesterday. I'd like to see some of your pics.

Ooh, I got a new one of those, too! I'm in Riverside. Where were you thinking of going?

Patrick
    edited April 23, 2006
    Sat trip piccies
    aero-nut wrote:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=32603

Enjoy!
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Like, this is the place, man.. and don't harsh my mellow, OK? deal.gif
    Hi,
    I am in the US for about 2-3 months, and since I am located in San Jose, any idea about some meetup happening here? If you are planning do take into consideration that the area should be accesible via VTA(http://transit.511.org) since I dont have a car here and travel by public transport
    edited July 20, 2006
    LA Area: Mt. Pinos anybody?
    One of my daughters was invited by her college BF to join the astronomy field trip on top of Mt. Pinos this coming Saturday night, July 22d.

I was thinking of getting there earlier, get some sunset shots, maybe get some grilling (or at least some beer.gif), and then join the "astronomers" and also shoot some star trails. I'm thinking of something like 7pm - 11 pm.

I don't have all the details at this point, but I will :-)

I'll be coming from Thousand Oaks.

Anybody wanna join in? Email me at dgrin at photosocal d-o-t c.o.m.
    edited July 23, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    One of my daughters was invited by her college BF to join the astronomy field trip on top of Mt. Pinos this coming Saturday night, July 22d.

I was thinking of getting there earlier, get some sunset shots, maybe get some grilling (or at least some beer.gif), and then join the "astronomers" and also shoot some star trails. I'm thinking of something like 7pm - 11 pm.

I don't have all the details at this point, but I will :-)

I'll be coming from Thousand Oaks.

Anybody wanna join in? Email me at dgrin at photosocal d-o-t c.o.m.

Nik,

Sorry, I didn't see your post until today..which was too late. Did you go? Did you take any cool pics?
    edited July 23, 2006
    No problem, Kendall!
    aero-nut wrote:
    Nik,

Sorry, I didn't see your post until today..which was too late. Did you go? Did you take any cool pics?

Nah, I didn't. Next time, I guess :-)

Man, it was hot here yesterday.. 107 during the day, 90 at midnight, it only got down to 80 in the morning.. eek7.gif
    edited July 24, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Nah, I didn't. Next time, I guess :-)

Man, it was hot here yesterday.. 107 during the day, 90 at midnight, it only got down to 80 in the morning.. eek7.gif

Know what you mean...110 here today...with thunderstorms turning off my air conditioning every 20 minutes due to brown-outs. umph.gif
  • aporiaaporia Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2006
    I'll be back in the East Bay Area at the end of next week to introduce my son (a recent High School grad) to the joys of Pleasant Hill, Oakland, Berkeley, SF, etc. If anyone is up for a meet-up and/or shoot-up, let me know. It would be great to meet some DGrinners live.

Looks like we'll also be searching for some respite from the heat.:yikes
    Tom in Niagara (CAN/US)
    Real Body Integrated Arts
    GMT -5
  • aporiaaporia Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Meet DGrinners live?
    Anyone in the SF/Oakland area up for a local meet or photo shoot at the end of the week or early next week?ne_nau.gif

We're leaving tomorrow. I'll check in again here later today and after we arrive.
    Tom in Niagara (CAN/US)
    Real Body Integrated Arts
    GMT -5
    edited August 11, 2006
    LA area: Saturday, Aug 12th 2006
    LA Shooters (yahoo online group) are meeting at Huntington Library, 10:30 AM at the gate.
    Looks like I'm coming (from T.O.).:):
    From what I understand it's a nice place, with gardens, parks, statues and such. Plus you got to meet your fellow shooters and talk shop all you want without being snuffed at :-)
    Anybody wanna join in? mwink.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    LA Shooters (yahoo online group) are meeting at Huntington Library, 10:30 AM at the gate.
    Looks like I'm coming (from T.O.).:):
    From what I understand it's a nice place, with gardens, parks, statues and such. Plus you got to meet your fellow shooters and talk shop all you want without being snuffed at :-)

I don't know for sure if I can make it, but I might try Nik. I know Seefutlong (Gary) is a member of this group, so he might be there. You could PM him. :D
    edited August 11, 2006
    Saurora
    saurora wrote:
    I don't know for sure if I can make it, but I might try Nik. I know Seefutlong (Gary) is a member of this group, so he might be there. You could PM him. :D

It was Gary who got me into that :D
    It would be nice if you could come! iloveyou.gif
    edited August 12, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:

Hey, Nik. I'm gonna try and make it tomorrow. My wife says they have a children's garden which she wants to let our toddler toddle in... all depends on sleep tonight, though.:snore
    Chris
    edited August 12, 2006
    Very cool, Chris!
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Hey, Nik. I'm gonna try and make it tomorrow. My wife says they have a children's garden which she wants to let our toddler toddle in... all depends on sleep tonight, though.:snore

Hope to see you there! thumb.gif

I'll be wearing black or red Smugmug hat :-) and most likely looking like this (David_S85' shot):

71628300-O.jpg

or like that (CatOne's shot):
    71883311-L.jpg

or, if I'm in my IR mood, like this (Gluwater's shot):
    72614816-L.jpg

rolleyes1.gif

C u! thumb.gif
    edited August 12, 2006
    Well, we slept okay... but Gareth woke up with some sort of allegeric reaction, so I'm probably not going to be able to make it. :cry
    Chris
    edited August 12, 2006
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Well, we slept okay... but Gareth woke up with some sort of allegeric reaction, so I'm probably not going to be able to make it. :cry

He's looking better now. Apparently he ate an omelet last night for the first time... So we're back in. I'll look for the Smuggy hat! I don't think we'll see many of those big red rocks though. rolleyes1.gif
    Chris
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 12, 2006
    hey guys... sorry I didn't make it but I found myself carless today... needed a new master cylinder installed =(

if timing permits I'll still hit downtown LA for the big political protest

www.answerla.org
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2006
    Nik, sorry I didn't make it this morning....had my gear all packed, new spare batteries charged, etc. and woke up feeling lousy. Maybe next time! :cry
    edited August 13, 2006
    Sorry you couldn't make it, Angelo and Saurora... There were definitely a lot of good photo opportunites, too bad I missed most of them. :): So how was the protest?

Nice meeting you, Nik! Looking forward to seeing your shots...

My pics are here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=40230
    Chris
    edited August 13, 2006
    Chris,
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Nice meeting you, Nik! Looking forward to seeing your shots...
    My pics are here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=40230

Likewise, very pleased to meet you and your lovely wife!
    Mine are here: http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/1768360