Dgrin Meetups - Western US

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Nisei Week in LA
    Big event in the Little Tokyo
    http://www.niseiweek.org/
    Sunday is supposed to be the climax. I'm thinking of coming. My friend is playing taiko there.
    Anybody wanna join me?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Ken LappKen Lapp Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    quark wrote:
    Hi All,
    Just polling the crowd to see if there would be interest in a Seattle area adventure of somekind the first few weeks of October?

And also suggestions for what to go shoot. Should be leaves changing about then if anyone knows the best places to pick up fall photos?
    Possibly a trip to the Washington Park Arboretum would be fun.

Anyone game?

This is a great idea, count me in. The arboretum is beautiful in the fall.
    Ken Lapp, White Hawk Images
    Portrait, Wedding & Event Photography

• Options
    PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Seattle area meet-up
    Ken Lapp wrote:
    This is a great idea, count me in. The arboretum is beautiful in the fall.

This sounds like fun to me too.

I need to send my 18-200mm lens (only one I have) in for service (won't focus at infinity past about 70mm). I hope that it's back by then!
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Sounds like we have a few takers - how are schedules? First week or second week of october work better? Afternoons or weekends?

I recommend we meet by the Japanese gardens - but I think they charge $5 to get into that section.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    fashiznitsngrinsfashiznitsngrins Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    quark wrote:
    Sounds like we have a few takers - how are schedules? First week or second week of october work better? Afternoons or weekends?

I recommend we meet by the Japanese gardens - but I think they charge $5 to get into that section.

First weekend in October works for me. I think I can even spring for the $5 entrance fee.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2007
    Aurigids are coming!
    September first, about 4am.
    http://leonid.arc.nasa.gov/aurigids.html
    Calendar link is also ready.

I'm thinking of Mt.Pinos, or some other place in Upper Ojaj. I have got my remote timer device, so it's gonna be fun!
  • Options
    Ken LappKen Lapp Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    First weekend in October works for me. I think I can even spring for the $5 entrance fee.

The 1st weekend in October works for me also. The Japanese garden will be a good place to meet.
    Ken Lapp, White Hawk Images
    Portrait, Wedding & Event Photography

• Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    Looks like the Wife and I will be making a surprise visit to Cali this weekend. It's my Mom's bday and we are going to surprise her :)

We moved to AZ about a year ago after living our whole lives in Cali.

Anyway... Will be spending all day Saturday at the L.A. County Fair :)

So if ya see me around (I'll be shooting with my Canon 30D with Grip and most likely a tamron 28-75 f/2.8) feel free to say hi and introduce yourself ;)

anyway... just holler if you're goin

Steven

P.S. I'll try and find a pic of myself so ya know what you're lookin for.... or... trying to avoid ne_nau.gif
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex
  • Options
    PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    Wild West Festival- Phoenix AZ
    The Wild Western Festival will be at the Pioneer Living History Village just North of Phoenix Sept. 28th- 30th.
    http://www.wildwesternfestival.com/

I'll be there Saturday- meeting up with some other local photographers.

PM if want to meet up.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2007
    Seattle area meet-up at Arboretum
    Saturday, Oct 6
    18.gif
    High: 53 °F RealFeel®: 44 °F
    Rain; breezy in the afternoon

Sunday, Oct 7
    18.gif
    High: 58 °F RealFeel®: 52 °F
    Breezy and rainy

The weather looks nasty for this weekend:cry . Perhaps we should consider another time/date. - paul
  • Options
    quarkquark Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    Agreed. Karen and I were thinking the same thing since several folks (including me) have conflicts this weekend.

Suggestions for a new date/time are welcome. Today would have been good ... I can actually see the sun as I type this.
    heather dillon photography - Pacific Northwest Portraits and Places
    facebook
    photoblog

Quarks are one of the two basic constituents of matter in the Standard Model of particle physics.
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2007
    quark wrote:
    Agreed. Karen and I were thinking the same thing since several folks (including me) have conflicts this weekend.

Suggestions for a new date/time are welcome. Today would have been good ... I can actually see the sun as I type this.

If your looking for a rainy day alternative, I'm planning on attending the Issaquah Salmon Days festival on Saturday morning, this should make for colorful pictures rain or shine.

When you live in the Pacific Northwest, you gotta know how to take a picture while holding an umbrella. :D
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited October 4, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    If your looking for a rainy day alternative, I'm planning on attending the Issaquah Salmon Days festival on Saturday morning, this should make for colorful pictures rain or shine.

When you live in the Pacific Northwest, you gotta know how to take a picture while holding an umbrella. :D

As I live in Issaquah, I will definitely be there!

As for the arboretum, I am not available the weekend of the 13th/14th, but I am on the week after - just not too sure if there will be any leaves left clinging to the trees...
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2007
    Boyce Thompson Arboretum- AZ
    Any Photographers in Phoenix for Thanksgiving weekend that are interested in shooting?

Saturday the 24th is the APS Fantasy of Lights opening night. Light parade down Mill Ave in Tempe

I will be going to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum Sunday the 25th of November. The Arboretum is in Superior about 40 minutes east of Phoenix and Gates open at 8am.

More info

Aaron Newman

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Any Photographers in Phoenix for Thanksgiving weekend that are interested in shooting?

Saturday the 24th is the APS Fantasy of Lights opening night. Light parade down Mill Ave in Tempe

I will be going to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum Sunday the 25th of November. The Arboretum is in Superior about 40 minutes east of Phoenix and Gates open at 8am.

More info

Not on Thanksgiving weekend, but I will be out there two weeks later...
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2007
    Not on Thanksgiving weekend, but I will be out there two weeks later...

Give me a shout- Dec. 8th is APS Fantasy of Lights Boat Parade. Lit boats on Tempe Town Lake- I believe fireworks over the lake may even follow.

Aaron Newman

• Options
    edited December 7, 2007
    Skagit River eagle photography meetup
    Anyone up for a Pacific Northwest dgrin eagle photography outing?

per wikipedia: "The Skagit River supports the largest wintering Bald Eagle population in the continental United States"

The number of eagles seem to peak in early January. I'm thinking of keeping an eye on the site that gives the count of eagles (as of this posting they haven't started updating it for 2007/08 yet); then plan a trip for the first Saturday or Sunday after the count gets to 200+. Last year the count was as hight as 859 eagles!

I'm posting now, so that everyone has a chance to put a 600mm lens on their holiday wish list. :D
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Anyone up for a Pacific Northwest dgrin eagle photography outing?

per wikipedia: "The Skagit River supports the largest wintering Bald Eagle population in the continental United States"

The number of eagles seem to peak in early January. I'm thinking of keeping an eye on the site that gives the count of eagles (as of this posting they haven't started updating it for 2007/08 yet); then plan a trip for the first Saturday or Sunday after the count gets to 200+. Last year the count was as hight as 859 eagles!

I'm posting now, so that everyone has a chance to put a 600mm lens on their holiday wish list. :D

Hey greenpea, I'd be interested in tagging along if you decide to go. I've got dibbs on renting the Nikkor AF-S 600mm f/4 ED-IF II from Glazer's tho :D . PM me if you want to set something up. I can usually be somewhat flexible with my schedule.

-paul
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    Hey greenpea, I'd be interested in tagging along if you decide to go. I've got dibbs on renting the Nikkor AF-S 600mm f/4 ED-IF II from Glazer's tho :D . PM me if you want to set something up. I can usually be somewhat flexible with my schedule.

-paul

How many 600mm does Glazer's have? Let me know when you're going and if it is a Saturday or Sunday, I'd be interested too, but I'd have to rent something in advance.

- Karen
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007
    How many 600mm does Glazer's have? Let me know when you're going and if it is a Saturday or Sunday, I'd be interested too, but I'd have to rent something in advance.

- Karen
    There is always borrowlenses.com mwink.gif You will even get dgrin discount deal.gif
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2007

- Karen
    WHOO HOOO!!! clap.gif They have started up the eagle count for 2007/08 (they just moved it to a new site, here).

I will keep an eye on the count, its a bit low so far compared with past years, but I'm still hoping for it to peak end of December or beginning of January.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited December 20, 2007
    Skagit River eagle photography meetup
    The plan is to do a morning photo shoot of the Skagit River eagles on Saturday January 5th (2008).

According to the Skagit River eagle viewing web site, the best time to view the eagles is between dawn and 11 am, with the eagles being most active just after dawn.

Sunrise is around 8AM, so I'm thinking of trying to get up there between 8:30 and 9 AM. If there are any dgrinners who care to join me, let me know and we can plan on meeting between 8:30 and 9 am in Marblemount, WA. There is a parking lot just across the Skagit River from highway 20 where we can meet (here's a map). I'll wear my red smugmug hat. :D The park next to the parking lot is also a good spot to see eagles.

Depending on how pictures go, we can all meet for lunch at Buffalo Run around 11 AM.

Past experience tells me you will want to have a big fast lens and dry warm clothes.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited December 20, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    The plan is to do a morning photo shoot of the Skagit River eagles on Saturday January 5th (2008).

According to the Skagit River eagle viewing web site, the best time to view the eagles is between dawn and 11 am, with the eagles being most active just after dawn.

Sunrise is around 8AM, so I'm thinking of trying to get up there between 8:30 and 9 AM.

Count me in - Rain or Shine. See you there.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    greenpea wrote:

Past experience tells me you will want to have a big fast lens and dry warm clothes.

Sigh, Andrew - this is the kind of event I might like to join - flying in to Seattle or Vancouver for a weekend never hurt anyone :D

but that particular Sunday, I will still be on a beach on the Riviera Maya.... maybe next year (or later in the month even?)

ann
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Sigh, Andrew - this is the kind of event I might like to join - flying in to Seattle or Vancouver for a weekend never hurt anyone :D

but that particular Sunday, I will still be on a beach on the Riviera Maya.... maybe next year (or later in the month even?)

ann
    Just cancel plans to be laying on a beautiful beach under the warm sun in Mexico with a gentle sea breeze and instead fly to cold rain soaked Seattle, then drive 2 hours so you can stomp around in the wet and the snow with huge heavy expensive rented lenses and tripod trying to take pictures of birds who would rather not be photographed. :D

Seriously Ann, I don't know what about a scene like this apeals to you :lol ...
    163177474-S.jpg
    (full disclosure: this was taken on the other side of Mexico)

...have a great trip!
    Andrew

• Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    Skagit River eagle photoshoot
    Looks like its going to be cold and wet tomorrow morning for the eagle photography, according to NOAA

As of 8:30 AM PST 1/4/2008:
    Occasional showers. Temperature rising to near 44 by 1pm, then falling to around 31 during the remainder of the day. Breezy, with a south southwest wind between 16 and 24 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

and I would expect snow on the ground.

But as of the last count there is suppose to be 205 eagles in the 10 miles between Rockport and Marblemount (which means we'll see a dozen or so).
    Andrew

• Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    Argh!
    I was really hoping to join you guys (even tho I have found myself highly incapable of shooting anything when I am cold!) but my husband took off for the weekend, leaving me with the 3 kiddos - I'll be thinking of ya and looking forward to seeing the results!!! Good luck :D - Karen
  • Options
    anmoldagreatanmoldagreat Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 22, 2008
    any new plans for seattle meet ups?
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2008
    any new plans for seattle meet ups?

I'm always up for anything, but I'm booked this weekend. Maybe next Saturday we could do meetup. See if we can stir up some interest between now and then.
    Andrew