Options

Dgrin Meetups - Western US

Comments

• Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited January 30, 2007
    BenA2 wrote:
    Oh man... sorry I missed your post. I was there on Saturday from 11:00-1:00--not exactly the sweet spot for light and the crowds. But, I still got some keepers. I saw several other serious shooters as well. I'm definitely planning on more trips in the future when the crowds die down. The photographic opportunities appear endless right now.

Okay, 7 AM was way too early (no sun until 7:45 AM). By 8 AM there were dozens of people with cameras (some with tripods). I found myself wandering around asking random people if they were with dgrin (I'm lucky security didn't pull me out of there for less than sane behavior).

One of these days we'll have a Pacific Northwest Dgrin meetup that actually happens. I'm thinking in a couple months (say March or April) we do a meetup at the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks to get some pics of the nesting Great Blue Herons at Kiwanis Ravine. Harryb has his eagle pics, but we'll get the awesome Great Blue Heron pics!!!

But until then, here are the pics I got at the park (before security pulled me out of there): http://initialphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/2397836/
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    Photo Exhibition in SoCal (Pasadena)
    I added the info to the calendar.
    Opening night on Sat, Feb 10th, 7pm, can be a blast.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2007
    The link to the calendar event is here.

And Nik, I truncated the repeating event to just the one night. It being there every day for 30 days was just too much for the calendar. Let me know if you have any questions...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2007
    David,
    DavidTO wrote:
    The link to the calendar event is here.

And Nik, I truncated the repeating event to just the one night. It being there every day for 30 days was just too much for the calendar. Let me know if you have any questions...

Thanks, I think that's OK. Maybe make it for the weekend, so sombeday can visit Sunday, too?

Anyway, the expo is from Feb 10 to March 10 (since it's not on the calendar anymore for this period)
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 5, 2007
    Salton Sea Shoot -- This Sat, Feb 10
    Just want to make sure that nobody's missed the Salton Sea shoot which is happening this weekend. Details here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=51526

The Salton Sea is only a couple of hours from LA and promises to have some excellent birding this time of year. Turnout is pretty low so far. Confirmed is me, Dallas (William), Angelo, and possibly RiddimMaker (Russ). It would be great to meet some other LA 'grinners.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2007
    KDog,
    I'd love to... but I can't..:-( ne_nau.gif
    Shooting big bicycle event in Palm Springs on Saturday. deal.gif
    Next time mebbe mwink.gifthumb.gifiloveyou.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    I'd have loved to make it, but cannot (got a yard sale to do & probably a funeral now :cry).
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'd love to... but I can't..:-( ne_nau.gif
    Shooting big bicycle event in Palm Springs on Saturday. deal.gif
    Next time mebbe mwink.gifthumb.gifiloveyou.gif
    Palm Springs? That's pretty close by. Maybe you can reroute the race around the lake and kill two birds with one stone. (oops, bad choice of words. rolleyes1.gif)

Next time...
    -joel
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2007
    I'd have loved to make it, but cannot (got a yard sale to do & probably a funeral now :cry).

My condolences.

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    safaricat70safaricat70 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Next time there's some shootin' goin on in the Emerald City (Seattle), let me know! Would love to meet some new people who enjoy photography!
  • Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Bump...

What no takers? None of you dgrinners from the Pacific Northwest are interested in dragging themselves out of bed and joining me down at the Olympic Sculpture park tomorrow at 7AM[...]

Dang, I missed the post also. Count me in for the locks as the last Seattle-area meeting kind of fell flat and I finally want to put faces to names :D
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    Dang, I missed the post also. Count me in for the locks as the last Seattle-area meeting kind of fell flat and I finally want to put faces to names :D

If anyone in the Seattle, WA area is up for it, maybe this weekend or next might be a good time to set up a meet at Hiram M. Chittenden Locks. From what I read here, February when the Great Blue Heron's arrive at Kiwanis Ravine and mating season begins.

With that said, I shoud also say I know nothing about photographing Great Blue Heron's or if a Great Blue Heron that is trying to mate would make for a good photograph. rolleyes1.gif ...but it makes for an excuse to go out and take some pictures.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    If anyone in the Seattle, WA area is up for it, maybe this weekend or next might be a good time to set up a meet at Hiram M. Chittenden Locks. From what I read here, February when the Great Blue Heron's arrive at Kiwanis Ravine and mating season begins.

With that said, I shoud also say I know nothing about photographing Great Blue Heron's or if a Great Blue Heron that is trying to mate would make for a good photograph. rolleyes1.gif ...but it makes for an excuse to go out and take some pictures.
    I'm out of town this weekend. Next weekend might work. But, I've got to say, I'd probably be lost shooting Heron's myself. Birds have never been a big interest for me and I'm pretty sure I'd need longer glass than my 70-200 to get anything worth while. But, that depends on how close you can get. I'm not sure, even after reading your link, where they will be--in the locks? In a park nearby?

I think the locks are pretty interesting when boating season gets going. There's tons of pleasure boat traffic that could be interesting.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    I'd be up for getting together next weekend, I'd probably rent a 100-400 IS zoom from glazers in Seattle. I think I could rent one from there for a full day for 30 bucks. Not too shabby.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Weather permitting, lets aim for next weekend...

As for how close can you get to the heron's, last year I got almost close enough to reach out and grab one of them near the locks (but that was in June). And there is always Glazers for rentals if Rhuarc doesn't rent all the good lenses. rolleyes1.gif

I have no idea how easy it will be to photograph the heron's this early in the year, but the locks provide lots of photo ops other than just birds.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Lol, I'll try to leave a couple of decent ones! So where exactly are these locks? I'm still a little new to the area and am still getting my bearings! Saturday would work best for me to do this. I can drop by Glazers on my way to wherever this to pick up the lens. I'll be coming from North of Seattle in Everett.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Lol, I'll try to leave a couple of decent ones! So where exactly are these locks? I'm still a little new to the area and am still getting my bearings! Saturday would work best for me to do this. I can drop by Glazers on my way to wherever this to pick up the lens. I'll be coming from North of Seattle in Everett.

Here is a map to the Hiram M. Chittenden Locks.

On th map, just south of the Locks, you'll see where Kiwanis Ravine is.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Hmm, for some reason themap isn't coming up when I click thelink, only the main live local search page.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Hmm, for some reason themap isn't coming up when I click thelink, only the main live local search page.

Here is the google map for the locks.

Here is the yahoo map for the locks.

:D
    Andrew

• Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    So who all is planning on metting next Saturday at the locks in Seattle? So far I think it is just greenpea and myself. safaricat70 and LuckyBob and BenA2 also mentioned the possiblity for meeting up I think. I really want to put some faces and real names to fake names! So come on people! :D
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    I'm in :D I havn't got any (decent) long glass, but I'll be playing with my macro all over the place. What time should we plan on?
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    I don't know, I wouldn't mind getting down there pretty early, get some of that early morning light. As far as long glass goes, I may be renting a 70-200 from Glaziers, but I'm not sure yet. If not I'll just be fooling around with the 18-55 kit lens on my XTi, which should be arriving Tuesday!! I'll still be learning the camera, so I'll have plenty to do even if I don't get the 70-200.

What part of the area do you live LuckyBob?I'm just to the north about a half hour in Everett.
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    Edmonds. Even closer to Seattle than you mwink.gif
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    One of these days we need to have a model shoot. I live in the Seattle area as well. We can share techniques from shooting to post processing.
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Grand Canyon South Rim
    Have Presidents Day off so heading up to the Grand Canyon Sunday the 18th and staying the night up there.

Any interest in a meet let me know.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    gmonkeh wrote:
    One of these days we need to have a model shoot. I live in the Seattle area as well. We can share techniques from shooting to post processing.

Are you coming over on Saturday to the locks to shoot? It looks like so far there will be at least 3 of us.
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2007
    I have a big shoot coming up on Sunday so I wont be able to make it. The money I get from this gig gets me a D200 and a new lens so I'll take a raincheck :)
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2007
    Seattle Photo Shoot on Sunday, Feb 18th.
    greenpea wrote:
    Weather permitting, lets aim for next weekend...
    Hey guys, just want to let you know about another Seattle shooting opportunity this upcoming weekend. It's a contest on Sunday, Feb 18, with the following rules: Shoot in walking distance from Pike Place Market from 1:45-3:15 with an 85mm full-frame equivalent focal length. The winner may be published in Popular Photography. There's a $10 entry fee.

This sounds a bit more up my alley than shooting herons, so I'm going to go for it instead. Hopefully some of you other Seattle Area Dgrinners might be able to make it too.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    BenA2 wrote:
    Hey guys, just want to let you know about another Seattle shooting opportunity this upcoming weekend. It's a contest on Sunday, Feb 18, with the following rules: Shoot in walking distance from Pike Place Market from 1:45-3:15 with an 85mm full-frame equivalent focal length. The winner may be published in Popular Photography. There's a $10 entry fee.

This sounds a bit more up my alley than shooting herons, so I'm going to go for it instead. Hopefully some of you other Seattle Area Dgrinners might be able to make it too.

I think Ben2A has come up with a better plan for Sunday Feb 18. The herons will be around until June/July.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    Hmm, well, this would save me 30 bucks renting that lens, I'll have to call tomorrow and cancel it. Are the DGrinners going to meet somewhere, or just see if we happen to run into each other?