Options

Dgrin Meetups - Western US

Comments

• Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2008
    Olympic National Park shootout
    I was just reading about a course that Art Wolfe is offering in and around Olympic National Park, it sounded interesting but right now it's a bit out of my budget. :cry

However, I'm wondering if any dgrinners would be interested in an informal shootout shootout in Olympic National Park some weekend later this Spring? We could even make it a camping/photo trip (unless everyone is opposed to tents).

For inspiration, here are the pics from last years trip to Deer Park in Olympic National Park, and here are the pictures from my 2006 trip to the Olympic Nationla Park coast.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    I was just reading about a course that Art Wolfe is offering in and around Olympic National Park, it sounded interesting but right now it's a bit out of my budget. :cry

Thanks for posting this. We watch Art Wolfe's show every week on PBS and I told my wife about this workshop. She wants me to go. Now to check my schedule to see if that is possible.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 26, 2008
    LA Fabric District, Saturday March 29, noon
    I'm going to LA Fabric District, need to get some b/g material.
    I'm planning to be there around 11-ish-noon.
    Any of the fellow angelenos wanna meet? mwink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2008
    Vancouver or Seattle?
    I am going to be in Vancouver on a course May 1 (arrive April 30 late afternoon). Think I'll burn a vacation day and stay the weekend, maybe visit my aunt in Bellevue Wash.

Greenpea - you available? Others?

ann
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I am going to be in Vancouver on a course May 1 (arrive April 30 late afternoon). Think I'll burn a vacation day and stay the weekend, maybe visit my aunt in Bellevue Wash.

Greenpea - you available? Others?

ann

I would love to but when will you be in Bellevue? I'm headed South down to Mount Hood in Oregon on May 2nd for a few days of photographing the mountain.
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    I would love to but when will you be in Bellevue? I'm headed South down to Mount Hood in Oregon on May 2nd for a few days of photographing the mountain.

Aww, shucks. I would be there that same weekend.
  • Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Aww, shucks. I would be there that same weekend.

Bummer. Well next time you end up in Vancouver, let me know. I would have no problem driving up there for a day. I've been known to go all they way up Whistler just for a day of skiing. :D
    Andrew

• Options
    edited April 22, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    Bummer. Well next time you end up in Vancouver, let me know. I would have no problem driving up there for a day. I've been known to go all they way up Whistler just for a day of skiing. :D

Thanks, Andrew. Hopefully another opp will pop up.

Meanwhile, any other Seattle or Vancouver grinners around that weekend?

ann
  • Options
    Ken LappKen Lapp Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Thanks, Andrew. Hopefully another opp will pop up.

Meanwhile, any other Seattle or Vancouver grinners around that weekend?

ann
    Hi Ann,
    My wife, Victoria, and I plan to visit Bellevue Botanical Gardens on Saturday, May 3. Maybe we could meet up there?
    Let us know, thanks,
    Ken
    Ken Lapp, White Hawk Images
    Portrait, Wedding & Event Photography

• Options
    edited April 24, 2008
    Ken Lapp wrote:
    Hi Ann,
    My wife, Victoria, and I plan to visit Bellevue Botanical Gardens on Saturday, May 3. Maybe we could meet up there?
    Let us know, thanks,
    Ken

Hi Ken

I will keep you posted. I have spoken to my aunt and cousin and confirmed my visit. Flight details not arranged yet, but plan on leaving Vancouver Friday and leaving Seattle area Sunday.

That means I am in Greater Vancouver Wed p.m. and Thurs p.m., some of Friday - any Vancouver shooters?

ann
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2008
    Alright, my plans now are:
    Arriving Thursday night from Vancouver by plane. Looked long and hard at taking the ferry and making Friday an adventure, but I couldn't make the last step - ferry landing at Annacordis to my aunts, work. I've since had the bright idea to visit a customer in Lynnwood on Friday, thus my flight into Seattle is expensed! hehehe. So I am working Friday morning, and looking for either shooting or shopping Friday afternoon. Will spend Friday evening with aunt and cousin, probably Saturday day as well. (not sure about the gardens, so don't count on me). The only flight home that I could get was early Sunday morning.

So, if I can't meet with any of you, can you point me to something to shoot?
    (like the pacific NW is unattractive or something rolleyes1.gif )
    ann
  • Options
    Bassett1976Bassett1976 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2008
    March Field Airfest 2008 (May 3 & 4, 2008)
    March Field is hosting another air show next weekend. They will have numerous demonstrations and the Thunderbirds will be performing.

Information can be found at:
    http://www.marchfieldairfest.com/
    bassett1976.smugmug.com
    www.fitmet.com
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2008
    Seattle, Sunday Sep 7th
    I'm gonna be in Seattle on a business meeting on Monday Sep 8th.
    I'm thinking of flying in Sunday morning Sep 7th and have a look/shoot (I've never been to this fine city:-).
    Anybody want to meet up and show me around?
    My schedule is fairly loose at the moment (except the meeting date itself:-)
    Let me know! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 30, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm gonna be in Seattle on a business meeting on Monday Sep 8th.
    I'm thinking of flying in Sunday morning Sep 7th and have a look/shoot (I've never been to this fine city:-).
    Anybody want to meet up and show me around?
    My schedule is fairly loose at the moment (except the meeting date itself:-)
    Let me know! thumb.gif
    Hey Nikolai, I would be glad to show you around. PM me the details of your schedule.
    Andrew

• Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    dead thread much???

Anyhow, I'd love to get some sunset shots in on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. And if you think 6 days at home means I have free time, I'm gonna laugh in your face. Alas! Course, there's always sunrise... hmm...

Location? Marin County, although San Francisco is quick to get to at 5am as well :)

I grew up in this area yet didn't get photographically TOO creative about *where* i lived until I moved too far away to make day trips impossible. And I sure as heck can't afford to ever live there again. YAY for parents who bought housing in the early 70s.

Anyone got some good places to go or suggestions?? I keep wanting to skip over to China Camp since it's awfully close (parents are in San Rafael now) but I haven't been there in 15+ years.
    //Leah
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2008
    catspaw wrote:
    Anyone got some good places to go or suggestions?? I keep wanting to skip over to China Camp since it's awfully close (parents are in San Rafael now) but I haven't been there in 15+ years.

Want a short or long list? I moved to the north bay this year, and have found loads of cool places to shoot and plenty more on the "see" list.
    For my short list of must see for the north bay.

The Headlands, Mt. Tam, Pt. Reyes, Bodega, Bolinas Bay (great for seals in the morning), Armstrong Woods, and Fort Ross..

I could offer a hundred different places, but for now just keeping the dead thread alive :D
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2008
    Want a short or long list? I moved to the north bay this year, and have found loads of cool places to shoot and plenty more on the "see" list.
    For my short list of must see for the north bay.

The Headlands, Mt. Tam, Pt. Reyes, Bodega, Bolinas Bay (great for seals in the morning), Armstrong Woods, and Fort Ross..

I could offer a hundred different places, but for now just keeping the dead thread alive :D

Well, 'seen' them all and practically lived at others, but any good for photo trips? I guess in some way the 'popular' places are so bleah to me. Oh gee. Marin Headlands. Gosh, never been there, oh, 50 times. Love those class trips. Pt. Reyes was my place of 'escape' as soon as I could drive (15 minutes away...) and Mt. Tam was quite literally the view out my bedroom window.

In retrospect I suppose it's silly of me to expect to find something 'new' in a place I explored on foot, bike, car and school bus until age 18 and even past then (escaping the house was a BIG theme....) on trips home. Last time I zipped around San Francisco on Thanksgiving Day (which had the LEAST traffic EVER, if you ever want to *really* see the sights without the headache wings.gif ) and played around the Presidio the day before. Friday is reserved for friends (gosh, how silly) and my mom has some weird urge to take me shopping on Tuesday so I'm not exactly wanting to say no to THAT .....

righto. I'm babbling. Time to get offline, especially as my customizations are breaking.
    //Leah
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    Phoenix
    Going to be in Scottsdale for Dec 23-31. clap.gif I usually do Sedona, Grand Canyon & Apache Trail. Any alternatives? I would be happy to hear from you.
    Davethumb.gif
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2008
    davemj98 wrote:
    Going to be in Scottsdale for Dec 23-31. clap.gif I usually do Sedona, Grand Canyon & Apache Trail. Any alternatives? I would be happy to hear from you.
    Davethumb.gif
    So you're right in Aaron's domain! thumb.gif
    Word of advise: stay away from Rock Genie, she bites mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    coming to So Cal...
    Going to be in Camarillo, CA from the 19th though the 28th. Nikolai has been kind enough to offer to show me the fine art of fine model photography. :Dmwink.gifAnyone else got some time to show me some of the sites shooting in that area or possibly offer up some suggestions of good photo ops North of LA?
    Andrew

• Options
    AldazarAldazar Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Nothing going on in SoCal? LA, specifically? =P
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2009
    Aldazar wrote:
    Nothing going on in SoCal? LA, specifically? =P
    If you want random street/landscape action, join LAshooters. I think they still go out every weekend or so.
  • Options
    AldazarAldazar Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Thanks, I'll check it out!
    Nikolai wrote:
    If you want random street/landscape action, join LAshooters. I think they still go out every weekend or so.
  • Options
    clikrf8clikrf8 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Wanted: shooting buddy for a trip anywhere in the West
    Hello out there in SM land. I am semi-retired and am looking for someone to shoot with anywhere in the west. Hubby and and I spent 2 weeks in the Eastern Sierras/southern Nevada area and after editing all our images, I find that I am suffering from withdrawals. What I want to do is find someone who wants to do some week long scenic shooting; preferably Southern Utah, Eastern Sierra Nevadas, Nevada, Arizona, etc. maybe because all it will be doing in Northwest Washington for the next 5 months is rain. I am a lousy driver but great navigator and am more than will to share any expenses. I am from north of Seattle but can arrange to meet you almost anywhere public transportation can take me. We have a 2 week shoot scheduled for Southern Utah/Northern Arizona next may but I can't wait. Take a chance.

To contact me:
    shoot an email (link on my SmugMug home page)
    or send a private message or reply to this thread
  • Options
    edited October 2, 2010
    Draconids, la LA land, Oct 8th anybody?
    The coming Friday, Oct 8th, supposed to be almost new moon (7th) and maximum of the Draconids meteo shower. I'm thinking of going to Mt. Pinos, away from the lights. Anybody from la LA land wanna join?

Here's some info from meteoblog
    http://www.meteorblog.com/

and an image from there:
    meteor-shower-draconids.jpg
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited October 6, 2010
    Nik, that's Friday morning you know, as in Thursday night. I googled Mt. Pinos, and it's a little far for me. Death Valley on the other hand.... mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Nik, that's Friday morning you know, as in Thursday night. I googled Mt. Pinos, and it's a little far for me. Death Valley on the other hand.... mwink.gif
    Oh, rlly? Thursday night? Well, even better since it's gonna be new moon (unless I misread that day, too). Of course, OTOH I'd have go to work next day.. :-(
    Now, the Death Valley... It's about 8 hours from me (or more)... I can't make that trip in the middle of the workweek... ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    I know, I know, work sucks. At least I can work remotely. I've done that before, travel and shoot by night, and work in the hotel by day.
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    Actually, Kelso, CA would be about half-way for both of us, and smack in the middle of the Mohave Desert. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Actually, Kelso, CA would be about half-way for both of us, and smack in the middle of the Mohave Desert. deal.gif
    4-5 hours.. hmm... lemme think...headscratch.gif