Options

Dgrin Meetups - Western US

Comments

• Options
    LuckyBobLuckyBob Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    I was thinking in front of the usual fish-throwing guys, but there's always a horde there. How 'bout in front of Market Spice? It's got a relatively low-traffic hallway right next to it and isn't all that loud - I figure it'd be a good place to do introductions.

Also, I note that it's "walking distance" which leaves the Olympic Sculpture Garden open since it's 15min by foot or so.

Hrm... Maybe I'll pick up a 50mm f/1.4 before the shoot... I've been drooling over it for a while, plus somebody could borrow my f/1.8 :D
    LuckyBobGallery"You are correct, sir!"
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    I was thinking in front of the usual fish-throwing guys, but there's always a horde there. How 'bout in front of Market Spice? It's got a relatively low-traffic hallway right next to it and isn't all that loud - I figure it'd be a good place to do introductions.

Also, I note that it's "walking distance" which leaves the Olympic Sculpture Garden open since it's 15min by foot or so.

Hrm... Maybe I'll pick up a 50mm f/1.4 before the shoot... I've been drooling over it for a while, plus somebody could borrow my f/1.8 :D

:D I'm not above borrowing!!! :D
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    just $120 buys you the indeispensable 50mm 1.8 at Glazers (or $105 at B&H + $15 shipping).
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    just $120 buys you the indeispensable 50mm 1.8 at Glazers (or $105 at B&H + $15 shipping).

Rhuarc and I shoot Canon, so we get to enter the 50mm prime world a bit cheaper mwink.gif. $80 at Kenmore Camera.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    Rhuarc and I shoot Canon, so we get to enter the 50mm prime world a bit cheaper mwink.gif. $80 at Kenmore Camera.

Would you reccomend this lens for indoor shooting? I'm talking things like family get togethers, kids opening christmas presents, etc...
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 15, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Would you reccomend this lens for indoor shooting? I'm talking things like family get togethers, kids opening christmas presents, etc...
    In as much as this is a thread for Western US Meetups, do you think it might be appropriate to take this discussion off-line?

Thanks,
    -joel
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    Good point :D - PM sent to Rhuarc
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    In as much as this is a thread for Western US Meetups, do you think it might be appropriate to take this discussion off-line?

Thanks,
    -joel

Good idea! deal.gif

Back on topic, what time were you guys thinking of meeting on Sunday? I could probably be down there around 1pm or so, but I don't think the contest itself starts until around 1:45.
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Good idea! deal.gif

Back on topic, what time were you guys thinking of meeting on Sunday? I could probably be down there around 1pm or so, but I don't think the contest itself starts until around 1:45.
    Yeah, just to clarify. The official meeting place is in front of the fish throwers at 1:30. So, if we Dgrinners want to meet up beforehand, it has to be before 1:30. It's going to be tight for me to make it much earlier than that. But, I could probably make 1:15 work. Market Spice?--I'll have to see where that is, but I'm sure I can figure it out.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2007
    Uhhh... Is Market Spice inside Pike's Place? If it is someone may need to point me in the right direction to find it, I've only been to Pike's Place 2 or 3 times, and am not completely familiar with where everything is.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Here's a map of the market: http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/livefiles/documents/31/MarketMap.pdf

The fish throwers where everybody will be meeting is basically right where the pig is on the map, and Market Spice is behind them to the left near the back of the market. It's kind of a wedge-shaped store with two hallways on either side, and a butcher on the other side of the righthand hallway.

Directions: Go to the pig, walk back and to the left :D

I'll plan on being there right around 1PM or so.
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2007
    LuckyBob wrote:
    Here's a map of the market: http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/livefiles/documents/31/MarketMap.pdf

The fish throwers where everybody will be meeting is basically right where the pig is on the map, and Market Spice is behind them to the left near the back of the market. It's kind of a wedge-shaped store with two hallways on either side, and a butcher on the other side of the righthand hallway.

Directions: Go to the pig, walk back and to the left :D

I'll plan on being there right around 1PM or so.

Hey guys, I'll also try and be there at 1PM, and just so your not looking for some person with the name "greenpea"... greenpea = Andrew. :D
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2007
    Lol, and in my case Rhuarc = Wendell, and I'll be wearing a red SmugMug cap, courtesy of MI3!! (thanks Harry!!) And 1pm it is!!
  • Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2007
    Rhuarc wrote:
    Lol, and in my case Rhuarc = Wendell, and I'll be wearing a red SmugMug cap, courtesy of MI3!! (thanks Harry!!) And 1pm it is!!

Son of a motherless goat, I wanna go! But I have my directory shoot tomorrow. I highly suggest you have the 50mm 1.8 in your bag. It's an all around lens. And it's cheap as dirt. :) check out my last 2 images posted, shot with the 50mm f/1.8.

Lex
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Hey guys, I'll also try and be there at 1PM, and just so your not looking for some person with the name "greenpea"... greenpea = Andrew. :D

Along those same lines, LuckyBob = David, and I'll be there at 1 or slightly earlier. Dunno what I'll be wearing, but I shoot an origional Digital Rebel and I'll probably be there with the 50mm f/1.8 on and my 550EX (what with it being a photo shoot, I figure this will be more applicable :D).
  • Options
    edited February 18, 2007
    alol, the more I hear about that 50/1.8 the more I want one! Lol, unfortunatley as I only have the kit lens I'll be shooting with the kit lens taped at 50mm, and with an fstop of something like 5.0 I think. :cry I know, pretty bad. Ah well, I'm doing this to have fun right? Lol...

I'll actually probably be there earlier as well. I'll be leaving Everett around noon or so. probably be down there quarter to 1. Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

We'll miss you gmonkeh!
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2007
    Downtown LA March 31st - April 1st anyone?
    I am thinking of getting some stately shooting done, if not for submission then just for the sake of it.
    I know of a few places that can qualify (Mormon Temple, Manns' Chinese Theater), but I trust there are more interesting and less trivial.
    It doesn't have to be downtown per se.
    It's just I live in the 'burbs, the highest building around here is 3 story tall (if you don't count a couple of rather ugly hotels), so I'm looking for something more pronounced height wise...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited March 29, 2007
    Point Mugu Air Show March 31st - April 1st
    Skies are clear, so this gotta be fun.
    Bring a chair, a hat and a lot of water!
    http://www.nbvc.navy.mil/airshow07/index.html

This is what I got out of it in 2004:
    http://nik.smugmug.com/gallery/227319#8808064

(I also added this to calendar)

I will most likely attend Saturday.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2007
    Conejo Valley and LA area
    There is a couple of events going on in our valley this coming weekend on 21-22: Classic Car Show (Saturday only) and Scandinavian Festival (both days). See the Calendar for more details, directions and prior coverage.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2007
    Anyone attending the Adobe Lightroom Tour hosted by Scott Kelby? It's being held at the L.A. Convention Center next Wednesday, April 25th. He will be discussing his workflow from beginning to end using Lightroom and Photoshop. If I can get off I'm going. I haven't used Lightroom, but I have a free copy coming so will definitely be trying it out. Also thinking of upgrading CS, so I'm interested in what he has to say about the combination. Haven't made my reservation yet, I know my boss is going to have a cow. rolleyes1.gif

The price of admission is $99 or $79 if you are a NAPP member. Wish it was a Saturday.....hate the traffic.

http://www.photoshopseminars.com/class/146/
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Disneyland - Tomorrow 5/5/7
    I'm heading to Disneyland tomorrow with a couple of LA Shooters. There is 1 slot left for a *free* entry. PM me if interested. Regular posters only please (you know who you are... mwink.gif).
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    I'm heading to Disneyland tomorrow with a couple of LA Shooters. There is 1 slot left for a *free* entry. PM me if interested. Regular posters only please (you know who you are... mwink.gif).
    Thanks for the invite! thumb.gif
    Sorry, nocando. Conejo Valley Days Parade, both my kinds are in the marching band, I'm in Trouble if I'm not there..
  • Options
    edited May 18, 2007
    34th Annual Valley Greek Festival (Northridge, CA)
    http://www.valleygreekfestival.com/
    May 26-28.

I added the calendar event, you can subscribe once mods clear it out.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Have An Open Slot For Antelope Canyon And Canyon X
    For anyone living in the vacinity of Northern Arizona or Southern Utah (or anyone able to make it short notice) there is an opening to shoot Antelope Canyon and Canyon X this coming weekend.

Tours are already booked:

Friday June 22nd 10 am
    Upper Antelope Canyon
    cost $45.00

Saturday June 23rd 7 am
    Canyon X
    Cost $150.00

These are photography tours with a local photographer as a guide. The Antelope Tour will be approx. 3 hrs and the Canyon X approx. 6 hrs!

Canyon X is limited to one tour a day and we have 1 slot left since a photographer has recently backed out.

If anyone is interested that can for sure make it please contact me immediatly.

Aaron
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Tacoma/Seattle, WA Aug. Meetup
    Anyone interested in a Seattle or Meetup? My dad will be here for the month of August and I'd love to organize a meetup.

Not sure how to coordinate one of these. Help!

Jesse
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2007
    Thanks for the link to your dads gallery, indiegirl. I am up north in Bellingham, but would love to hear if anything frutates (sp?) with your meetup.

Tony
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    Anyone interested in a Seattle or Meetup? My dad will be here for the month of August and I'd love to organize a meetup.

Not sure how to coordinate one of these. Help!

Jesse

I live in Seattle. Pick a place and a time, and I'll be there if I can.
    Andrew

• Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    Southern CA Meetup
    I am looking for some people in South OC to meet up and shoot sometime soon. Any takers?ne_nau.gif

S
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    Sure thing. I'm more in North OC (HB), but it's not that far. I am planning on attending the HB July 4th parade & fireworks show next week--hopefully a couple of FMers will be too.

It seems the OC camera club scene is pretty quiet, at least online.

Oh, I've also got a year pass to the SD Zoo/WAP, and plan on heading down there several times this year. Well worth it--two trips and you're ahead. thumb.gif
  • Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    oc shootout
    Chris,
    I will be shooting the half marathon on the 4th there in HB. I also have passes to the WAP/SD Zoo through the fall. The new Journey through Africa tram is nice.

S