Show us your mug! Introduce yourself here.

Comments

• faust0maticfaust0matic Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2008
    Greetings
    Hi all,
    My name is Joe Graziano. I'm in Everett, WA, USA. I recently found this place while searching for used camera bodies and decided to join. I'm fairly active on Flickr. I shoot a lot of local bands and I work occasionaly with some of the pinup girls around here. I'm self-taught (read that as uneducated camera owning retard) and I work fulltime as a machinist. Someday, when I figure out what I'm doing I'd like to make a living with my camera (HA!). Here's a shot of me...assuming it works...if not there will be a link to it below. Hey it works! I'll link you to my Flickr anyway...

">1267817594_94a7c6b88b.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/faust0matic/1267817594/in/set-72157601766856775/
  • photogurrlphotogurrl Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 6, 2008
    Hello!
    Hi! I'm Jenn, aka photogurrl. I've been dabbling for years now. Am thinking about taking it to the next level. Would love to do this and earn a little money. I also am on Flickr. Am thinking about smugmug. This looks like a cool forum.

Cheers!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 6, 2008
    Welcome Joe and Jenn!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Michael DinesMichael Dines Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 6, 2008
    316711135_XRvF8-M-1.jpg

My name is Mike, and I'm new 'round these parts... I found Smugmug by accident not too long ago, and I'm quite impressed with everything so far. I was able to set up a web presence with relative ease, and in exactly the way I had always wanted to do without having to do it from scratch!

I'd had several false starts with my site in the past year, and it's nice to have whipped up something nice here in under a weekend. Thanks! :)

The community is a really pleasant surprise as well. I'm looking forward to doing some reading and learning here.
  • TdcomptonTdcompton Registered Users Posts: 212 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    I dunno if this is allowed - But I finally have a decent self portrait that I took before shooting fireworks this weekend, I'd like to submit it for consideration as a replacement to the crappy camera phone image I submitted when I joined. :D

07-04-2008-SchmoopeeMe.jpg
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2008
    Tdcompton wrote:
    I dunno if this is allowed - But I finally have a decent self portrait that I took before shooting fireworks this weekend, I'd like to submit it for consideration as a replacement to the crappy camera phone image I submitted when I joined. :D

Your most welcome.

This thread is about photos of d/grinners.
    edited July 7, 2008
    Hi all,
    My name is Joe Graziano. I'm in Everett, WA, USA. I recently found this place while searching for used camera bodies and decided to join. I'm fairly active on Flickr. I shoot a lot of local bands and I work occasionaly with some of the pinup girls around here. I'm self-taught (read that as uneducated camera owning retard) and I work fulltime as a machinist. Someday, when I figure out what I'm doing I'd like to make a living with my camera (HA!). Here's a shot of me...assuming it works...if not there will be a link to it below. Hey it works! I'll link you to my Flickr anyway...

">1267817594_94a7c6b88b.jpg
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/faust0matic/1267817594/in/set-72157601766856775/
    Great photo. I bought one of these on ebay a few weeks back to see what i can get out of it for photos.
    edited July 8, 2008
    gus wrote:
    Great photo. I bought one of these on ebay a few weeks back to see what i can get out of it for photos.

Thanks :) I'm getting to where I have a collection of masks and helmets. I bought this gas mask on Ebay too Laughing.gif! If you search for Russian Gas Mask, you can find them for under $10. I also picked up a cheap Darth Vader helemt and I have Vietnam era tanker's helmet that I turned into a set of headphones...I was 16 and stupid at the time. I almsot forgot, I have V for Vendetta mask around here somewhere too...hmm. Haven't used that one yet :) I'm not a fan of being in front of the camera, but I figure I can suffer through it if I'm wearing a mask.

Cheers :)

Joe
  • KCBearcatKCBearcat Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2008
    My goofy-lookin' self...
    326331330_gsVBG-S.jpg

Ok, technically not a self-portrait, but it is me and a big honkin' volcano taken with my camera. I'm a Dgrin newbie and I'm hoping to learn a lot.

I'm also self-taught, but I'm focusing on sports photography right now, especially soccer. I actually have a field credential for KC Wizards games. No, they don't just give them to anybody, but I'm also a season ticket holder and I know some people. I'm also shooting for a friend's blog. I'm using him just as much as he's using me. thumb.gif

Called my SmugMug site www.caughtlookingphotography.com because, at certain times in my life, I've been a baseball umpire (aka abuse victim) and when a guy strikes out without swinging, he was "caught looking"... :D

Anyway, it's late, my Wizards lost to Seattle tonight and that put a cherry on a turd sundae of a day, so I think I'm going to bed.
    Alan H.
    http://www.fountaincityphotography.com
    Camera Gear: Canon 400D (XTi), 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 75-300 f/4.0-5.6, 70-200 f/4 L, 50 f/1.8 II
    edited July 9, 2008
    Thanks :) I'm getting to where I have a collection of masks and helmets. I bought this gas mask on Ebay too Laughing.gif! If you search for Russian Gas Mask, you can find them for under $10.

Joe

Thats exactly what i did however im sure you [cough] got a bit of a fright at the 'personal tastes' these masks also cover lol3.gif I didnt want the bloke to leave me any feed back to his ebay shop with the descriptions & innuendoes for these things !!
  • TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2008
    new member to the forum, but have been around for a few years.
    when the site is up and running again, I will post a picture.

anthony
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • strikingvikingstrikingviking Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Great site!
    Hola amigos! I'm a motorcycle rider who has been to a few interesting places while bummin' around the world on two wheels and was recently referred to this site from the crew over at advrider. Just last week, I stepped up to the plate and upgraded from a Sony 828 to Canon Marklll EOS and some cool lenses to go with it. Now I just need to figure out how to use it and this place seems like a wealth of information. I have zero technical knowledge of photography or how to use settings beyond Auto, so up until now, all my pics were just point and shoot.
    Thanks in advance for any and all advice,
    Glen Heggstad (the tattooed guy)

339078271_KRW7H-L.jpg
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited July 26, 2008
    Hola amigos!

Hola, Glen, and welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif
    edited July 26, 2008
    Damn Glen, that's a heck of a step up in cameras Laughing.gif! What are you riding? I have a 2000 Triumph Speed Triple 955i. I haven't tried a long haul on it yet, but I'm planning on trying Seattle to Portland first. If my butt doesn't fall off I might shoot for a trip down to California next summer.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2008
    Welcome !! :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited July 26, 2008
    Damn Glen, that's a heck of a step up in cameras Laughing.gif! What are you riding? I have a 2000 Triumph Speed Triple 955i. I haven't tried a long haul on it yet, but I'm planning on trying Seattle to Portland first. If my butt doesn't fall off I might shoot for a trip down to California next summer.
    Since I live in Mazatlan and communte back to the US every other month by air, I leave a 2003 BMW 1150 Adventure in Tijuana for use north of the border--and then, for buzzing around Mexico and Central America, a 2006 BMW HP2.
    edited July 26, 2008
    Welcome !! :D

Hey I think I know you...I love Pakistan! How have you been amigo?
    edited July 26, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Hola, Glen, and welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif

Thanks amigo. Please check out my web page www.strikingviking.net
    Got a few pics and assorted stories.
  • timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Hola amigos! I'm a motorcycle rider who has been to a few interesting places while bummin' around the world on two wheels and was recently referred to this site from the crew over at advrider. Just last week, I stepped up to the plate and upgraded from a Sony 828 to Canon Marklll EOS and some cool lenses to go with it. Now I just need to figure out how to use it and this place seems like a wealth of information. I have zero technical knowledge of photography or how to use settings beyond Auto, so up until now, all my pics were just point and shoot.
    You spent 2+ years going around the world taking pictures in who-can-say how many different photographic conditions, and you're saying "zero" knowledge?

Wow.

I guessed some of your pics were on auto, but even with that - there were a number that were very well composed. I think if you've been doing as well as you have with what you've had to work with so far, a bit of training'll produce some tremendous results.

My first suggestion is for you to find someone local to explain all the buttons on your gear. I took 2 1-hr introductory courses when I got my Rebel XT, and even that little bit of training was a serious eye opener.

Also, considering adding some software to your collection of gear. If you're going to be taking lots of pictures, I've found Adobe Lightroom good at processing and managing a fair number of pics in a pretty efficient workflow.

If you've got the skin for it, take some of your best shots (and I know you've got some hum-dingers in your inventory) and post them to the Whipping Post - you'll get some valuable, no-holds-barred feedback on what people think of your images. (Read the forum rules first though - they've gotten picky over there recently. mwink.gif) Alternatively, there's also the Shots forum, which has all kinds of categories for you to post shots and ask for critiques, comments, and suggestions.

Anyway, I'll stop now - but I'm sure you'll find this place as friendly as it is instructive.

Welcome! clap.gif
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
    edited July 27, 2008
    Got a few pics and assorted stories.
    Harumph. Don't let this guys modesty fool you.

Besides his website, he also posted his Round-the-world Ride Report on Advrider here.
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    Thanks in advance for any and all advice,
    Glen Heggstad (the tattooed guy)

339078271_KRW7H-L.jpg

Glen,

Glad you took the walk across the corridor rolleyes1.gif . Welcome to dgrin,

Seamus. (shay on advrider).
  • hoffaladyhoffalady Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2008
    is me.... hoffalady... April.... hey you chick.... all of the above and many more... :D

339306585_oLJFH-L.jpg
    edited July 28, 2008
    timk519 wrote:
    Harumph. Don't let this guys modesty fool you.

Besides his website, he also posted his Round-the-world Ride Report on Advrider here.
    Thanks amigo but I was not trying to be modest. After looking at the quality of photographs on this site, I was understandably intimidated. There is a huge difference between mastering speed and aperture settings and getting lucky with a few pics out of seven thouand point-and-shoot. My knowledge is limited to trying to remember to keep the sun behind me and being ready at all times to shoot.

After using my new camera only a few times and so far, figuring out the on/off switch, I can only imagine the studying ahead learning how to use the rest of the buttons. I like the idea of a tutorial course--is there someone who offers this in Southern California?

Although I live in Mazatlan, I return to the US every other month for a week and would appreciate any info on the subject. I have a shot at spending a few days with Anthony Mandler, just to pick his brain while he works but I don't to waste valuable time like that with explanations about camera settings.
    edited July 28, 2008
    Hey I think I know you...I love Pakistan! How have you been amigo?

Hello amigo yes i left comments about the documentary at your gallery. Thanks for loving Pakistan

Take care :D and keep Posting ! thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited July 28, 2008
    After looking at the quality of photographs on this site, I was understandably intimidated. There is a huge difference between mastering speed and aperture settings and getting lucky with a few pics out of seven thouand point-and-shoot. My knowledge is limited to trying to remember to keep the sun behind me and being ready at all times to shoot.

After using my new camera only a few times and so far, figuring out the on/off switch, I can only imagine the studying ahead learning how to use the rest of the buttons. I like the idea of a tutorial course--is there someone who offers this in Southern California?
    I can't speak to Southern CA, but Canon has web pages of Educational opportunities including an EOS Discovery Day here and a calendar of events and locations here. I'm sure there's something in there that's suited to your needs.
    Although I live in Mazatlan, I return to the US every other month for a week and would appreciate any info on the subject. I have a shot at spending a few days with Anthony Mandler, just to pick his brain while he works but I don't to waste valuable time like that with explanations about camera settings.
    I Googled his name, and a few days with him is quite the opportunity.

Another good read is any of the Muench University threads in the "Landscapes" forum (he's another well-known shooter). The Whipping Post reviews are also instructive, as are the multitude of other forums here.
  • SmugMugLoriSmugMugLori Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 30, 2008
    I'm new here
    Just saying hi
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 30, 2008
    Welcome Lori, StrikingViking (hey, have you talked to Chanderjeet lately?), hoffalady!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • 8zil8zil Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2008
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    Welcome, 8zil wave.gif
    edited August 5, 2008
    welcome mwink.gif

My Gallery