Options

Show us your mug! Introduce yourself here.

Comments

• Options
    fatdrfatdr Registered Users Posts: 522 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Richard wrote:
    Welcome Daveb, Fatdr and Gudge. wave.gif
    Thanks Richard, Great site, but apparentley, I am spending too much time here...:D
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    fatdr wrote:
    Thanks Richard, Great site, but apparentley, I am spending too much time here...:D
    :nah one can never spend too much time here :D
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2008
    Me and my baby
    409029605_oKQQz-M.jpg

me after a company softball game
    409029679_BN7Wg-M.jpg
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    KelMarieKelMarie Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited November 13, 2008
    Here I am:ivar

From Western, Wisconsin. Have 2 kiddos, a 4.5 year old son Rayce, and 2 month old daughter Camryn. I'm sure I will post lots of photos of them...the poor things have to put up with me practicing my photography on them all the time.
    ~Kelly~:marlin
    Facebook
    "Although life may lead you where you least expect it, you can have faith it's where you're meant to be."
  • Options
    CFBSrCFBSr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 15, 2008
    From St. George, UT. Semiretired!
    3022071189_31203c2a3a_m.jpg
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited November 16, 2008
    wave.gif Welcome, all!
  • Options
    Mohamed.GhuloomMohamed.Ghuloom Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2008
    Mohamed Ghuloom from Bahrain
    Mohamed Photos
    Give a Message
  • Options
    edited November 30, 2008
    Welcome Mohamed and roamer. clap.gif
  • Options
    cerpintorcerpintor Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    This is me. Took this a few weeks ago using my PC flat screen monitor with a blank tab open in Firefox as a light source. It's a 3 or so second exposure hence the slight blur:

417565377_9s7pj-L.jpg

I'm based in London. Despite having been pointing cameras at people and things for quite a long time, I'm just at the start of learning how to take photographs beyond the "happy accident" stage. I'm glad to see the wide range of styles and abilities on display here, I think I'll be able to learn a lot and it's nice to be able to give feedback on others work. I think it'll be a while before I brave the whipping post though!
  • Options
    SandRazorSandRazor Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited November 30, 2008
    Just wanted to say thank you
    I'm new to smugmug and the dgrin forum and just wanted to thank all of the wonderful people that have spent time helping others. Even though I didn't post anything asking for help, it doesn't mean that I didn't read through dozens and dozens of threads as I figured out how to customize my site. Here's to a great service and a great community.... THANK YOU!

425661721_Q6Tmd-S.jpg
  • Options
    PreachermanPreacherman Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2008
    You asked........!!!!!!

422244767_urXuz-M.jpg
  • Options
    loubellloubell Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited December 2, 2008
    New Shutterbug to the forum
    Amateur photographer! Looking for ideas, tips, new thoughts, new pictures, new art, etc...

Also like to comment on other's photographs! clap.gif

Awesome place! I am thoroughly enjoying it!

The picture attached of myself is a scan from film - I have indulged in the world of digital and know I'm in love! iloveyou.gif
    ~If you're photographing in color you show the color of their clothes - if you use black and white, you will show the color of their soul.~

http://www.myspace.com/loubellsunrise

http://www.freespiritphotography.com/smugmug
  • Options
    sathyasathya Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited December 4, 2008
    smug·ger - Exhibiting or feeling great satisfaction with one's situation; [because of owning a smugmug account :ivar]

Hi all, This is Sathya here from Salt Lake, Utah.
    Not long back signed up for a smugmug account. Kept lurking around to get info on smugmug customization. Was just using google to get my answers from the customization forum.
    Accidentally clicking on the images on the header took me to the LPS Challenges winners page with great shots. That is when I started looking around to find treasures in nook and corner. My first post around here was in the DSS#13 round (he he he mwink.gif)

Love the community here, hanging around & learning a lot.

and btb my smugsite customization too came out good. In the process of loading my photos. Here is the link to the same. Do drop in and would love all ur feedback

p.s: one of these days need to try out the self portrait - had been postponing it for a long time ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2008
    Welcome all. clap.gif
  • Options
    baldmountainbaldmountain Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2008
    Hi there, yep, this is me.

I'm finding my way back into art through Philosophy and Aesthetics of all things. As a kid I wanted to be a physicist or an artist. My dad convinced me that I wouldn't be able to make a living as an artist. If I did physics I'd end up as an engineer, so why not take engineering? Foolishly I listened. But I've always found art tugging me back and so here I am.

429583877_hLYkh-L.jpg
    geoff
  • Options
    Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2008
    behind the lens...
    Hey everyone, just introducing myself. My name is Matt. I've always enjoyed photography for as long as I can remember. I took a photography class some 17 years ago during my senior year of high school, and since then I've been hooked. I enjoy photography in general, but for me it is less about artistic expression and more about story telling. I enjoy writing as well, so putting the two together is something I'd like to get more into.

Since I prefer to be behind the lens, I cordially decline to post my mug. I wouldn't want to be held liable for cracking anyone's monitor. thumb.gif

Maybe I've missed it, but is there a forum here for asking general photography questions? ne_nau.gif It seems like everything is categorized into specific areas.
    Please do not copy, edit, rehost or repost my images without permission.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey
  • Options
    HuzbandHuzband Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    You asked for it...you got it.

434880355_RBYvx-L.jpg

The name's Danny. I stumbled across this fine forum today while doing a search on a lens. I was instantly intrigued, as I'm on another forum that has the exact same layout. Go figure. mwink.gif (Hint; the crest on my shirt is just above where it says KTM.)

Anyway, I've been a mild shutterbug since getting a 300D a few years ago for a European vacation. Got a used 30D about four months ago, & have decided to get serious.

I find photography to be very therapeutic. After a stressful day at work, if I go out for even just thirty minutes to make pictures, the stress melts away, & I'm much more pleasant to be around. Even for me. :D

I look forward to not only contributing, but especially learning from this forum.

Glad to be here. wave.gif
    "Most of us work from life as a starting point." Ken Rockwell

Canon 50D, 30D, various lenses
    '08 BMW R12RT "Hammerhead"
    '08 KLR 685 "Rover"
    '03 Golden Retriever "Farley"
  • Options
    Matt518Matt518 Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2008
    Welcome Danny! wave.gif
    Please do not copy, edit, rehost or repost my images without permission.

We must look at it. We're required to look at it. We are required to do what we can about it. If we don't........who will? - James Nachtwey
  • Options
    ozwebfxozwebfx Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 12, 2008
    G'day!
    n522105287_1932582_4911.jpg
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2008
    G'day mate! Welcome to dgrin. Come on inside, hang out, and have fun! No problems.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    KillerPrillerKillerPriller Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2008
    Hey y'all,

ok, the wife and i are new Digital photo junkies. We have a his(silver) and hers (black) set of XTis with enough flashes, stands, widgets and whoodizzles to produce great stuff. If only we had skill.

i don’t have a lot of time to practice, but the wife (Luv) is working at it and coming up with some great stuff.

So, thats my (our) introduction.

I am, as you can see from the post count, a noob to the site. Im not sure what topics or questions go where just yet. So, if some one could point me in the right direction for a few, i would appreciate it.

questions:

#1) where can i go to trouble shoot a Pocket Wizard Plus II to Canon 580 flash interface? Specifically, i cant get the flash to work in manual mode when its controlled by the PW. It will test in TTL mode (which i didn’t expect) and as you can imagine, doesnt function properly. Searches bring up 580's or PW's but im unable find anything regarding my problem.

#2) i still prefer film, but i am no good at shooting it. I want to continue learning and shooting with the XTi, but keep using the film camera to supplement occasional shots. If i have the film processed directly to digital, is the quality as good? Are there some film processor equipment that’s better than others? Any special settings i should ask for?

#3) Where in the forums can i go to get some good advice on file management? My wife has been doing both our photos so far, but its become a mess. Too many files, too large of files, no coordination, cant find anything. Moving files between the camera, bridge, Photoshop, and our website is a mess. Is there a place where someone has written some good advice on how to manage this?

well, that’s it. Introduction over and call for links to good advice all in one post. Thanks for the help.

cheers

Nick

img_1216.jpg
  • Options
    JRSEEJRSEE Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2008
    New guy
    Hi everyone. Just got my website up and running. Its A-JIMAGES.COM
    I think i have been through the help files and threads a hundred times but I still have a lot of
    questions. First though, I would appreciate everyone taking a look and seeing what I missed.
    Opinions good or bad are appreciated.

thanks

Jay

430878063_VomVU-S-2.jpg
  • Options
    David-StallardDavid-Stallard Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Morning / Afternoon / Eveninig - that should cover it.
    Hi one and all, quick introduction:

I'm David from just outside London, I have always loved taking photos but up until last month only ever used standard digi / coolpix cameras, then last month bought my first DSLR 'Sony a350 and the SAL 18-250 lens.

First week I nearly sold it again as all the settings confused the hell out of me "what is an 'f' setting, ISO? whats that then' but after a grilling from the wife I took a week off and went out to play and I am slowly getting the hang of things now so yes I am a real NewBee (so be gentle)

I may not post much but I will try.

425471223_SMQBD-O.jpg

David
    http://www.davidstallardphotography.com/

Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2008
    Welcome, Nick, Jay and David. clap.gif

Nick: Take a look at the tag lines of each form on the main Dgrin page. They should help you start to learn your way around. It's not hard, but it takes some time to figure out where everything is. The Search dropdown box on the main navigation bar is also helpful. Your first two questions might be found in Cameras or Accessories. The third would probably be addressed in Digital Darkroom Gear or Finishing School.
  • Options
    David-StallardDavid-Stallard Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2008
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome.

I will no doubt have many questions but for now I will just lurk / read. I spent an age looking at various photo hosting sites and ended up on Smugmug, joined the same day - I may be new to all this but I do know a good thing when I find it.

.DAVID.
    http://www.davidstallardphotography.com/

Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints
  • Options
    HalffastpaddlerHalffastpaddler Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 17, 2008
    Sorry that I haven't got a smug-mug account going yet, so have to link from Picasaweb. This was intended as a snapshot as a reminder of the creek. I found out on that day why it's a bad choice to trail jog at 7,500' when you live at 400 (or whatever my town is at...).

ColoradoVacationJuly2007#5189643526262822690

If the img thing doesn't work, here's the link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/HalfFastPaddler/ColoradoVacationJuly2007#5189643526262822690
  • Options
    jdorseydesignjdorseydesign Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2008
    Hey guys, I'm a new smugmug pro member and a new member here. I've had my Nikon D40x DSLR for a little over a year now, I'm starting to get some lighting equipment and I'm almost ready to upgrade to a better camera body. I'm not a pro, I'm definitely still an amateur, although I've done some free gigs here and there to get experience.

Here's a corny photo of me hiding behind the camera. Manually focusing my 50mm f/1.8 in the bathroom mirror.
    430592423_ZigSr-M-2.jpg
    J Dorsey Design Photography • jdorseydesign.com • Facebook Fan/Friend • Twitter @bartdorsey
  • Options
    greg.newmangreg.newman Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 19, 2008
    Hello all. I was pointed over here by a friend and it looks like a warm community.
    I'm Greg, a self-employed artist/programmer from PA, USA. Looking forward to participating in this community.
    I'm game for the self portrait shame; here's mine.

2195527422_3e08b5af5e.jpg
  • Options
    MarieMcMarieMc Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 20, 2008
    Marie here, all the way from Scotland.
    To put it simply I love taking photos (and I dislike PP and leave all my pictures original, but each to their own :) )

This is me, photo is the work of my better half
    2429497901a9272080015o.jpg
  • Options
    inspiredartsinspiredarts Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 28, 2008
    Me and my MUG
    I have several MUGs and none of them would really scare anyone away except for me - I don't like my picture taken - odd wouldn't you say? So let me see what I can find in the vaults:

Ok, just found out I can do one photo at a time so we'll start with my 15 minutes claim to fame - my graphic design was chosen for one of the trashcans downtown San Diego when we had a spruce up the downtown gig.

I'll pull out some others now and again as I get used to what's where - who's who and just plain not getting too lost.