Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #2

Comments

• Options
    warrenwarren Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited April 11, 2007
    papajay wrote:
    I found that by clicking the center wheel on the mouse to "lock" it allows me to dynamically scroll up or down a long page of thumbnails very quickly..

Thanks but that depends on how your mouse is programmed. My center wheel is set to do other tricks when clicked. Allen's tip works great for me and I'll be sending all my feature requests directly to him from now on. :D
    Smugmug page is at Toronto photographer
  • Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    warren wrote:
    Thanks but that depends on how your mouse is programmed. My center wheel is set to do other tricks when clicked. Allen's tip works great for me and I'll be sending all my feature requests directly to him from now on. :D

....just offering an option. Allen is a frequent poster, and always helpful.
  • Options
    cwocwicwocwi Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 12, 2007
    address book groups
    Hello. I am new to smugmug, but I love it...and just signed on for a year.

My request is the ability to group the people in my address book. I would love to have a "family" group and a "friends" group that I keep populated with email addresses...instead of having to click on each individual address in the list.

Is this a possibility?

thanks,
    Chris
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    cwocwi wrote:
    Hello. I am new to smugmug, but I love it...and just signed on for a year.

My request is the ability to group the people in my address book. I would love to have a "family" group and a "friends" group that I keep populated with email addresses...instead of having to click on each individual address in the list.

Is this a possibility?

thanks,
    Chris
    wave.gif and welcome! Thanks for the feature request thumb.gif
  • Options
    jenna16jenna16 Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2007
    home page options
    Hi,

I posted something similar to this before, but I can be more specific now. Having spent some time on Flickr and some other places, the smugmug default home page layout is starting to look a little....um...lame. There is way too much blank space, and the layout is not elegant, not does it utilize "modern" html tricks. Other people have commented on thumbnail sizes being too small, and I agree. Specifically, I am referring to the thumbnail images for galleries, as seen on a home page. They are too small, and seem to be floating. And galleries do not need a title AND a description, if that description is only allowed to be a few words and gets cut off anyway. It's more like a title and a longer title. Either allow a description, or better yet, only show it as a rollover - like on netflix, when you roll over a movie title a synopsis pops up.

To put it simply, I would like the layout of http://bigwebguy.smugmug.com, more or less, to be available as a template for standard users. I'm assuming that this is obvious, as evidenced by the number of posts regarding how to emulate his page. There is so much support on hacking his code - why not just make something like it into a template for others to use without doing their own coding? I'm sure there are technical reasons that this is hard - but some elements could be duplicated easily. Personally, I don't need the bar along the top, but the embedded slideshow, and the more elegant looking (and two rows) of gallery images, with the nice rollover....all should be a choice for the homepage. Also, I don't need all the rounded edges, and background textures, but a layout with that kind of tightness and cohesiveness would be so nice. His slideshow does take a long time to load, but perhaps a person could make a slideshow with just a few images instead, if that is a problem. We could go on and on and in circles about the details, but you get the point, I hope. I know when I posted last time someone replied that I would be happy with some stuff in the works. any details about that?

Also, your information architecture for managing the home page and galleries is not really scaling as you ad more features to manage.

Someone posted about the very confusing places a person has to go to make changes for some things. eg - one must go to photo tools to make bulk changes to a gallery, it's almost impossible to find the email manager link without writing a new email, the feature gallery section can't be handled all a once, etc. There are some basic user-unfriendlyness issues that need to be addressed. I would imagine that a lot of people find this to be an issue, but they are not the kinds of people who would post a lot to this forum I bet.

I would love to see another one of those voluntary usability/feature request questionaires that you had a year or so ago. I wonder what the whole range of customers wants, not just the people who tend to post here, who I bet, are not your average customers (of course I don't know that - maybe i'm way off base)....but as a customer for several years, and with several referrals, I would like to see the results of such a questionaire. I know you keep upcoming releases under wraps, but a little more transparancy about what customers want - not what you're working on per se- would be fantastic.

Anyway, thanks for making the pages load faster - that was actually my biggest problem and it's MUCH improved since the big release.

Jenna
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2007
    (Nice post, jenna16.)

I had a crazy idea, given that you're already using Colour-Science's processing for your Auto feature for prints. I've got their Image Editor, while I really appreciate the rapid workflow they've promoted with their layout, as user interfaces go, it's not that great.

The Feature Request:
    SmugMug could make a complete Web UI front for i2e! That would be unprecidented, and with Adobe and others going for web-applications, it would put SmugMug ahead of the game, IMO.
  • Options
    DennisDennis Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited April 14, 2007
    Return to prior photo position in gallery from shopping cart
    I had 2 customers complain about the same thing this week ... When they are placing photos on their shopping cart, if they don't view their cart and return to the gallery, then they are returned to their previous photo position in the gallery .... However if they view their cart and then continue shopping, then they are returned to position #1 in the gallery.

They would like to return to the photo position last viewed when returning from viewing their shopping cart.

Dennis
  • Options
    OrlingrinnerOrlingrinner Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 14, 2007
    Address book download
    It would be nice to be able to download my e-mail address book into SM's address book in excel or word format. Is there any way to do it now? Thanks...Orlingrinnerthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2007
    It would be nice to be able to download my e-mail address book into SM's address book in excel or word format. Is there any way to do it now? Thanks...Orlingrinnerthumb.gif
    Hi, no there is not a way to do it now.
    Thanks for the FR!
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    I would like to be able to add the map that shows on the homepage (or would show if I had it turned it on) to show on another HTML page.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I would like to be able to add the map that shows on the homepage (or would show if I had it turned it on) to show on another HTML page.
    How about on a 2nd Homepage?

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/featured
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:

That would work!! :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Smugmug uploader on OSX
    Hi smuglovlies.

I've been reallly getting into the Smugmug uploader for OSX. But I have a couple of feature requests for it.

- Accepting filenames on launch. I use lightroom and it has an option of opening files in another application on export. I've tried putting a link to the smugmug application in the 'export actions' folder but it seems like it only accepts files that are dragged and dropped. Having it accept filenames as a booting argument would be awesome. It would also make it easier to use in automator.

-Proxy/Firewall support. At work they have a firewall that messes with the uploader. It lets me log into the app and I can even create galleries through the firewall, it just errors when it comes to uploading photos. "error Connect Failed, Connection Refused" Is there a htttp connection or some other method to upload that would work?

-Automator actions. It would be even more super awesome if you could use the automator api to be able to do things like making albums, uploading and all the other things you can do with the uploader. I've had a wee play but I'll look further into using automator directly with the smugmug api, I just thought that the uploader application would be a great shortcut to do it with.

Thanks for your time, what you guys have achieved with Smugmug amazes me everyday.
    -James
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2007
    Customer sorting of images
    I wish my customers could sort through their proofs and tag which ones are their favorites. This would make it a lot easier for them to keep track of the pictures they want to order.

Anything that increases their ability to place an order, increases sales for both myself and for smugmug. :-)
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    Packages, quantity discounts
    I know it's been said before.... packages. We need packages in order to sell to our customers.

Lacking that ... how about quantity discounts? Let us discount the pictures if they either a) buy more than X of a single image, or b) buy more than $$$ as a total purchase price.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    Fix the photographer-based orders!
    I personally placed an order on March 30th for a customer because they had already paid me (see "packages" request).

What I didn't realize until last week was that the "proofing delay" I set for customer-orders ALSO applied to *my* orders. So there the order sat, for more than a week, doing nothing. There is no "ship it" button for photographer-placed orders, so I didn't know it was waiting to ship. I only found out when I wrote to tech support asking why the package hadn't arrived yet.

I asked tech support on Wednesday to "release all of my orders" for print. The one that I placed on March 30th says it shipped today as did one of my more recent orders (I think I still have one order in a holding pattern somewhere).

This desperately needs to be fixed. Photographer-placed orders should ship immediately. No proofing necessary.
  • Options
    edited April 15, 2007
    Prices need to come down
    Smugmug's prices are getting old and out of date with the times. I've been using Adorama and a couple of other places to fulfill my orders instead of smugmug due to the cost of prints.

Adorama, for example, has 5x7" Lustre prints for 59 cents each. Even that is expensive when ordering quantity. For example, three times so far this year I have ordered packages of 600+ quantity of a single 5x7" image. On smugmug, this would have cost me $750 or more. And I have to pass that cost on to the customer. Instead, I've been ordering my high quantity 5x7" prints from other company for just 29 cents each. They are matte instead of lustre (I would prefer lustre, but they don't offer it). But at least it drops the price down to an affordable $174 (almost a $600 savings!) which I don't mind passing on to the customer while still making a profit.

Adorama's 8x10s are also a $1 cheaper, and the more I sell, the more it matters.

If lower prices aren't possible, then at least give us quantity discounts (see previous message). It's either that, or we have to keep shipping our work of to other companies and that leaves you with $0 in your pocket.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2007
    I was feeling pretty 'smug' and went to my website to view my progress on my customization. I discovered I had a message and when I opened it, it read "Your Life is a Blank Canvas". Needless to say I was momentarily 'crushed' thinking someone was commenting negatively on all my hard efforts!!!!!!!! :cry However ......... it wasn't what I thought (I'm so hard on myself!) and the news is fantastic and so timely!!! I need to order some prints sooooooon for Mother's Day! Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    dwterry wrote:
    This desperately needs to be fixed. Photographer-placed orders should ship immediately. No proofing necessary.
    Ouch, sorry you missed the gotcha explanation in our help section:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace

And also in the proof delay thread in the Pro Sales Support forum:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=39260

I wish we had a better answer for you now, but we don't.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I was feeling pretty 'smug' and went to my website to view my progress on my customization. I discovered I had a message and when I opened it, it read "Your Life is a Blank Canvas". Needless to say I was momentarily 'crushed' thinking someone was commenting negatively on all my hard efforts!!!!!!!! :cry However ......... it wasn't what I thought (I'm so hard on myself!) and the news is fantastic and so timely!!! I need to order some prints sooooooon for Mother's Day! Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    w00t :) Holler if you need any help deal.gif

Thanks for noticing, too!
  • Options
    encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2007
    Copy Photos

How about a "Copy Photos" function, exactly like the "Move Photos" one, except it copies the files to an existing, or new gallery... I think this would help people sort through their photos and collect favorites into gallery of their own, without having to go through the tedious double-whammy of "Make a 2nd copy" and "Move Photos"... It would definitly solve at least one of the requests in here already without much effort (I'd imagine)...
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    For the new canvas print options have the crop box show two boxes. One for the actual print size, one for showing print size. I know there is the help page for this but having it in the crop box would be helpful to customers.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited April 20, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    For the new canvas print options have the crop box show two boxes. One for the actual print size, one for showing print size. I know there is the help page for this but having it in the crop box would be helpful to customers.
    Down the road, we plan on it... thanks. Can't do it today.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Down the road, we plan on it... thanks. Can't do it today.
    Thanks, just thought I'd mention it so others don't make the same mistake I did.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2007
    auto email notification of gallery update to client
    well that would be cool - if any update of a gallery could bet set to automatically email a client /friend/family to tell them the gallery had been updatediloveyou.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited April 23, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    well that would be cool - if any update of a gallery could bet set to automatically email a client /friend/family to tell them the gallery had been updatediloveyou.gif
    In the meantime, educate your family/friends and clients on use of your feeds :D

Thanks for the FR!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2007
    disallow search engines indexing feeds
    It's annoying that feeds show up in search results, e.g. in google, instead of the real pages. That's been a problem since feeds were introduced. I really see no use in having them indexed and therefore count them being indexed as a bug, while it's so easy to keep them out by adding the /hack/ folder as disallowed in the robots.txt

If you're not agreeing with me, just give us the possibility to upload our own robots.txt to our site.

Currently it looks like this:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /cart/
    Disallow: /VIP/
    Disallow: /vip/

By adding
    Disallow: /hack/
    the whole issue would be solved in a couple month.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    pecheneypecheney Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Feature request Idea
    How about the ability to edit header/footer includes PER each category you create instead of site wide... You create a category called Weddings and want to make all the Weddings galleries look "weddingish." Right now, unless I am mistaken, when you upload a header include into the Customisation or Customization section your header/footers are same for EVERY category and therefore gallery, too. Make any sense?
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    pecheney wrote:
    How about the ability to edit header/footer includes PER each category you create instead of site wide... You create a category called Weddings and want to make all the Weddings galleries look "weddingish." Right now, unless I am mistaken, when you upload a header include into the Customisation or Customization section your header/footers are same for EVERY category and therefore gallery, too. Make any sense?
    You can do it now :)

1. Customization forum:
    http://www.dgrin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

2. Start Here Sticky:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52812

3. In the start here sticky, link to this tute :)
    http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1932865
  • Options
    sprynmrsprynmr Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    WebDav Support
    I would like to request some movement on the idea of using webDav for photo management.

Google is working towards this type of thing using Fuse (apparently a super easy way of writing a plugin for any filesystem).

They don't have it publicly available yet but in this video you can see them demo just throwing a folder up there, and having this create galleries.

This would make things insanely easier to manage. Especially since its a year later and I'm still trying to move my full gallery up to the site. The current mac uploader is just weak in the bulk feature area.

Even support in the mac uploader for selecting a folder (that contains subfolders with pictures) which would in turn create galleries out of all the subfolders would be a step in the right direction. Or being able to add a bunch of different folders and then click upload and they create new albums named appropriately.

But investigate fuse! Google is going to be breathing down everyone's necks with Picasa web. Currently it has like 0 features, but if they approach this product the same way they approach the others, I could see people switching in a years time.

So basically my feature request is some way of bulk uploading galleries that doesn't include having to create each gallery first and link it to an iphoto album.... which is currently the only method I know of.

BTW in the video just watch the intro, then jump to 8:45'ish. Or watch the whole thing, because the rest is dang interesting.

Best,
    Robert
This discussion has been closed.