Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #2

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    sprynmr wrote:
    I would like to request some movement on the idea of using webDav for photo management.

Google is working towards this type of thing using Fuse (apparently a super easy way of writing a plugin for any filesystem).

They don't have it publicly available yet but in this video you can see them demo just throwing a folder with subfolders up there, and having this create galleries with sub-galleries.

This would make things insanely easier to manage. Especially since its a year later and I'm still trying to move my full gallery up to the site. The current mac uploader is just weak in the feature area.

Even support in the mac uploader for selecting a folder (that contains subfolders with pictures) which would in turn create galleries out of all the subfolders would be a step in the right direction.

But investigate fuse! Google is going to be breathing down everyone's necks with Picasa web. Currently it has like 0 features, but if they approach this product the same way they approach the others, I could see people switching in a years time.

So basically my feature request is some way of bulk uploading galleries that doesn't include having to create each gallery first and link it to an iphoto album.... which is currently the only method I know of.

Best,
    Robert
    Great post, thanks - have you by chance looked at SmugBrowser?
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/SmugMugHacksAndApps
  • Options
    sprynmrsprynmr Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Great post, thanks - have you by chance looked at SmugBrowser?
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/SmugMugHacksAndApps

I haven't, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    It's annoying that feeds show up in search results, e.g. in google, instead of the real pages. That's been a problem since feeds were introduced. I really see no use in having them indexed and therefore count them being indexed as a bug, while it's so easy to keep them out by adding the /hack/ folder as disallowed in the robots.txt

If you're not agreeing with me, just give us the possibility to upload our own robots.txt to our site.

Currently it looks like this:
    User-agent: *
    Disallow: /cart/
    Disallow: /VIP/
    Disallow: /vip/

By adding
    Disallow: /hack/
    the whole issue would be solved in a couple month.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    I had to move it, Sebastian, sorry - it's not a bug (though you may think so).. so I've moved it to feature requests. And I've let our Product Manager know, too :D
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I had to move it, Sebastian, sorry - it's not a bug (though you may think so).. so I've moved it to feature requests. And I've let our Product Manager know, too :D
    Thanks, Andy. It kind of depends on the viewpoint on where to put it, but I''m okay with your decison. :D

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    spootspoot Registered Users Posts: 11 Beginner grinner
    edited April 26, 2007
    Custom SmugPro Cart
    I would like to request a new feature called something like the custom SmugPro cart. Basically this cart allows a pro photographer to create a custom cart with custom products that customers can purchase and the pro photographer processes the photos with any lab they choose. The purchase would utilize the current cart system and all monies received would go to the pro account. Smugmug would keep a percentage of the total order.

The pro users account monies from customer orders could be used for purchasing more features with smugmug, tranferred to a checking account, or transferred to a commercial paypal account. Any money transferred or remaining in the account at the end of the year would be reported to the IRS via a 1099.

The biggest challenge with this feature is ensuring the customer/photographer relationship does not involve smugmug since smugmug is only the infrastructure provider for the photographer.

I have the following ideas on how this can be accomplished utilizing the following feature set.

The SmugPro cart should have a view in the control panel to set the following required items:
    - The pro account user must set contact information that will be sent to the customer after the order.
    - An order state feature would allow the smug account holder to set the status of the order from something like processing, shipped, finalized after the order has been placed. After setting the state an automail would be sent to the customer letting them know that the order state has changed from x to y.
    - I think the pro user would be required to enter state sales tax data in this section as well.
    - Smugmug will send receipts via email after an order and show in the cart after purchase.

The other super challenging and most likely the biggest sticking point to implementing this type of feature is determining if smugmug is responsible or invovled in anyway with customer refunds. I think for ease of implementation the pro account holder must accept the responsibility for all refunds. This would mean that the smug pro account holder would need to accept a contract/license agreement for this if they choose to use this feature. I also think that the customer purchasing process must have a digital signature method for the customer to agree that smugmug is held harmless for picture quality, refunds, litigation, etc.. between the customer and pro photographer.

Now, if we can get over those challenges somehow then I think the cart should be implemented in the following manner.

The pro account holder would create the items to sale in the custom SmugPro cart control panel view. The account holder would only be able to customize the following fields:
    - Item name
    - Item number (this could be an auto generated number that the smug system creates)
    - Item price
    - price list name

I do not think a description field is necessary since this can be done using the critique view or written into the caption field. The pro user should be able to create many price lists.

After setting up a custom cart then each gallery can be assigned the custom cart price list name. The other important feature for success on this pro custom cart is to ensure that the specialty items and digital downloads can be offered for sale as well.

That is all I can think of for now and I am sure many more requirements and legal stuff would need to be worked out to implement this feature. This feature would allow me to not have to create a custom paypal solution to sale pictures I only want printed using our lab and I would be more in control of the customer interaction and picture quality. Keep up the good work and thanks for reading all this :-)
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Thanks, Andy. It kind of depends on the viewpoint on where to put it, but I''m okay with your decison. :D

Sebastian

I agree with your notion Sebastian. A customer's perception is that anything that doesn't work as expected is a "bug" regardless of whether it's working as the development team intended and regardless of whether the actual developer would call it a bug. I personally like the customer's definition, not the developer's definition, but both ways of looking at it exist.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    Initial flash view with password link to real gallery
    I'm still a bit worried about putting family photos up for the world to see, but I would like friends to be able to see most of my galleries from the main page. So I would like to have public galleries with minimal user abilities, but have additional actions for the same gallery (i.e. download, purchase) protected with a password.

For example, the initial view after clicking on a gallery link could be something that protects the content (i.e. all low res, no downloads, no purchasing) maybe like the flash content produced by simpleviewer. Then if the user can provide the password, they would be forwarded to a link of the standard private gallery where they could have all the permissions I want to grant. This "semi private" gallery would allow users to see that these galleries exists from my main page, and preview this content without having anything other than "screen capture" abilities of low res images without any public keywords to search.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    "Save Photo" not discoverable enough
    After putting a bunch of photos online from the school talent show with full resolution originals available, I got several emails like this one:

Hi John,

I'm sorry to have to bother you. I have browsed the talent show photos at http://friend.smugmug.com/School/303266 and ordered several prints. They have arrived and they look very good. Thank you very much.

Now, I would like to download the high resolution files to keep in our digital album, but the above website does not have the facility for me to do so. I can only download the 67x100 pixel sketchy thumbnail version.

Would you please give me the direction for accessing the original high-res photo files?

Thanks,
    Edmund
    This tells me that first time Smugmug viewers are having problems discovering the floating toolbar that contains the Save Photo option. I still think this problem needs to be addressed by adding something that is visible in the screen without having to hover the mouse over the photo. A first time viewer scans the screen and if they don't accidentally cross the main image with the mouse, they come to the conclusion of this viewer that it isn't possible to view other sizes, see EXIF info or save originals.

In this circumstance, I can't explain why they didn't find the hover menu, but obviously they didn't and concluded that my gallery (and by extension, the Smugmug site) was much less functional than it actually is. If they didn't happen to have my email, we would have never heard from them either.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    jmpsmashjmpsmash Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited April 27, 2007
    i would like to request a "copy photo" feature. this should allow one to select one or more pics from one gallery, and then copy them into another gallery.

this will in effect be a "make 2nd copy" + "move". but it will be much more convenient to do it in one step.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    jmpsmash wrote:
    i would like to request a "copy photo" feature. this should allow one to select one or more pics from one gallery, and then copy them into another gallery.

this will in effect be a "make 2nd copy" + "move". but it will be much more convenient to do it in one step.
    try this:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=35684
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    After putting a bunch of photos online from the school talent show with full resolution originals available, I got several emails like this one:

Hi John,

I'm sorry to have to bother you. I have browsed the talent show photos at http://friend.smugmug.com/School/303266 and ordered several prints. They have arrived and they look very good. Thank you very much.

Now, I would like to download the high resolution files to keep in our digital album, but the above website does not have the facility for me to do so. I can only download the 67x100 pixel sketchy thumbnail version.

Would you please give me the direction for accessing the original high-res photo files?

Thanks,
    Edmund
    This tells me that first time Smugmug viewers are having problems discovering the floating toolbar that contains the Save Photo option. I still think this problem needs to be addressed by adding something that is visible in the screen without having to hover the mouse over the photo. A first time viewer scans the screen and if they don't accidentally cross the main image with the mouse, they come to the conclusion of this viewer that it isn't possible to view other sizes, see EXIF info or save originals.

In this circumstance, I can't explain why they didn't find the hover menu, but obviously they didn't and concluded that my gallery (and by extension, the Smugmug site) was much less functional than it actually is. If they didn't happen to have my email, we would have never heard from them either.
    John, thanks - we'll certainly look at this. It's not something we hear too much of, but we certainly want to make it easy for folks.
    In the meantime, how about making some really easy to follow instructions and put them in your album description? We can help, if you want, just say the word.
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    John, thanks - we'll certainly look at this. It's not something we hear too much of, but we certainly want to make it easy for folks.
    In the meantime, how about making some really easy to follow instructions and put them in your album description? We can help, if you want, just say the word.
    I think you should consider a design enhancement that makes the options in the floating palette easier to discover. This is real feedback from my viewing audience. I've been worried about this since this original design change and the issue is now clearly happening to some of my viewers. This particular viewing audience is generally fairly computer literate so it probably happens even more often to an average cross section of viewers.

As to your specific work-around suggestion, there are 44 albums in this particular presentation (one for each act in the school talent show) and the description already contains the names of the people in the act. I don't think it would work to add "save photo" instructions to each of the 44 album descriptions.

Though it would be a lot more work (that I don't have time to do right now), I'd be more inclined to write some JavaScript that would insert a glyph (probably below the photo or to the left or right) that would invite a user interested in more options to click on it and have the click on the glyph bring up the floating palette. IMO, the page needs a visual object that the user will see when they scan the page with their eyes and it invites them to click on it and then they'll see more options. This makes it so that a user doesn't have to "accidentally" discover the floating palette in order to know it's there.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Though it would be a lot more work (that I don't have time to do right now), I'd be more inclined to write some JavaScript that would insert a glyph (probably below the photo or to the left or right) that would invite a user interested in more options to click on it and have the click on the glyph bring up the floating palette. IMO, the page needs a visual object that the user will see when they scan the page with their eyes and it invites them to click on it and then they'll see more options. This makes it so that a user doesn't have to "accidentally" discover the floating palette in order to know it's there.

Seconded. I've thought this is how it should be handeled all along. No reason for a feature to remain hidden without any obvious affordance.

-Russ
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    Sym links
    Here's a big request... The ability to put galleries in more than 1 main category... a la ebay.

The easiest way for this to happen would be to upload the gallery in one category, then have an option in the gallery tools to "make symbolic gallery" or something like that.

Here's the thing.... I have pictures from my friends cottage that I want to put under friends, but my dog is in a lot of the pictures... so I want to make a symbolic link under his category.

Maybe this is possibly now and I missed it. Sorry if this has been requested already.

~Bob
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I would like to be able to add the map that shows on the homepage (or would show if I had it turned it on) to show on another HTML page.
    RichW worked it out thumb.gif
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=540458#post540458

We'll add it to the advanced FAQ.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    sprynmr wrote:
    Here's a big request... The ability to put galleries in more than 1 main category... a la ebay.

The easiest way for this to happen would be to upload the gallery in one category, then have an option in the gallery tools to "make symbolic gallery" or something like that.

Here's the thing.... I have pictures from my friends cottage that I want to put under friends, but my dog is in a lot of the pictures... so I want to make a symbolic link under his category.

Maybe this is possibly now and I missed it. Sorry if this has been requested already.

~Bob
    For now, you can use keywords to categorize them... smart galleries or virtual galleries are something that's on our list, but we've not started on them yet, thanks for adding your voice!
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    Plugin for Lightroom
    And while I'm in the asking mood.... what about a plugin for Lightroom to upload directly. :D

A decent separate batch uploader would be more useful though.
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2007
    sprynmr wrote:
    And while I'm in the asking mood.... what about a plugin for Lightroom to upload directly. :D

A decent separate batch uploader would be more useful though.
    I'm sure someone will make one as soon as the SDK from Adobe is available thumb.gif
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    sprynmr wrote:

This is already possible for Power and Pro Users - #70 in the Advanced FAQ. (Andy is a bit behind the times rolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2007
    PBolchover wrote:
    This is already possible for Power and Pro Users - #70 in the Advanced FAQ. (Andy is a bit behind the times rolleyes1.gif)
    And the funny thing is, I have that implemented on my own site! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    And the funny thing is, I have that implemented on my own site! rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the workaround. Would be nice to see this implemented into the system though.

Thanks again,
    Robert
  • Options
    photobanksphotobanks Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    I would like mutiple currency (I am based in the UK) integrated into the shopping cart. Also, I would like the option to offer my own products, such as custom designed albums (obviously smugmug would take there cut for the payment processing), so I can fulfil custom order via the web!!

Cheers,

Michael
    Michael Banks

www.banksy.me.uk - main website
    http://galleries.banksy.me.uk - smugmug site
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    JavaScript disabled --> defaulting to old browsing
    John pointed out here that a smugmug gallery doesn't show up when JavaScript is disabled. Could you please add a < noscript> fallback that at least shows the gallery page in the old browsing style instead of showing nothing? The user temporarily could change to another view, but this might not work forever as you're also migrating the other view styles to the new method and honestly I don't want the user having to change anything to view my galleries.
    Also a small note that JavaScript is required for the site to be fully functional would be a nice touch.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    I can add this today.

John pointed out here that a smugmug gallery doesn't show up when JavaScript is disabled. Could you please add a < noscript> fallback that at least shows the gallery page in the old browsing style instead of showing nothing? The user temporarily could change to another view, but this might not work forever as you're also migrating the other view styles to the new method and honestly I don't want the user having to change anything to view my galleries.
    Also a small note that JavaScript is required for the site to be fully functional would be a nice touch.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
  • Options
    jwilkinsonjwilkinson Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    displaying our contact info
    One thing that struck me today as I was browsing a friend's SM site... we typically don't have a set place to list our contact info in SM. So many of our sites don't seem to have an email contact or form or anything (except photo comments, which aren't great for private communications)

In most webdesign, having at least an email listed is normally vital.

Anyway, yes, I know we can put that info into our bio section, which unfortunately shows up in your face on the homepage, or we can customize other areas.

However, it might be good to have some options built-in that would let us specify a means for visitors to contact us, and some options to control how that info is displayed. (and it should be in the Standard account, not just something we can only do with advanced or pro accnts)

So, what do you all think?

later,
    jeff

p.s. sorry if this has been discussed before. I didn't see anything on it. If it has, please post a pointer link.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    jwilkinson wrote:
    One thing that struck me today as I was browsing a friend's SM site... we typically don't have a set place to list our contact info in SM. So many of our sites don't seem to have an email contact or form or anything (except photo comments, which aren't great for private communications)

In most webdesign, having at least an email listed is normally vital.

Anyway, yes, I know we can put that info into our bio section, which unfortunately shows up in your face on the homepage, or we can customize other areas.

However, it might be good to have some options built-in that would let us specify a means for visitors to contact us, and some options to control how that info is displayed. (and it should be in the Standard account, not just something we can only do with advanced or pro accnts)

So, what do you all think?

later,
    jeff

p.s. sorry if this has been discussed before. I didn't see anything on it. If it has, please post a pointer link.
    Hi, thanks for the request, we appreciate it! For now, the bio box is where it can go for all customers :)
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    re: "Save Photo" not discoverable enough
    jfriend wrote:
    renstar wrote:
    Seconded. I've thought this is how it should be handeled all along. No reason for a feature to remain hidden without any obvious affordance.-Russ
    It's got my vote too.
    IMO, finding additional info and features and original photo downloads is important enough to make it easier to find. The glyph or small link to instructions or to activate the popup seems like an excellent solution.

(And I *hate* anytime I have to put instructions into the gallery description where they have to show at the top of the page and in the homepage or category pages. Frankly I wish I had a bottom-of-gallery-view editable text block I could use for things like this, or for notes about allowed uses that I sometimes put into the gallery description now. Feel free to add that to feature requests too.)

thanks,
    jeff
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    re: displaying our contact info
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, thanks for the request, we appreciate it! For now, the bio box is where it can go for all customers :)
    Yeah, it *can*. I think probably far too many people just forget since there isn't anything else...

Anyway, please put a little thought into it, and how it might be made better. Even adding a couple of options to the control panel to specify adding a mailto link on the page bottom for 'email webmaster' or 'email photographer' would be an improvement...

Of course the other way would be to allow visitors to send a note via a form that would go as a site message to the SM site owner. Like comments, but not tied to a particular photo and not showing up publicly. Then the message is viewable via the normal SM messages and we can get email notifications. I'd think that would be useful and maybe easier for you to support since you have most of the functionality in place already.

(BTW, your email notifications on comments would be better if they included the comment and who it is from, not just a link to view it via the SM site.)

thanks,
    jeff
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    {JT} wrote:
    I can add this today.
    Awesome as always - thanks JT! thumb.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    jwilkinson wrote:
    Of course the other way would be to allow visitors to send a note via a form that would go as a site message to the SM site owner. Like comments, but not tied to a particular photo and not showing up publicly. Then the message is viewable via the normal SM messages and we can get email notifications. I'd think that would be useful and maybe easier for you to support since you have most of the functionality in place already.

(BTW, your email notifications on comments would be better if they included the comment and who it is from, not just a link to view it via the SM site.)

thanks,
    jeff

This is a GREAT idea. I don't put my email address on either of my sites because I don't want it to be harvested by SPAM bots, but I would like my viewers to be able to contact me with questions. It also seems that Smugmug has all the infrastructure elements already deployed to solve this problem for us.
    • Offer an optional feature that let's viewers send the site owner an email. It could be per gallery or per site, depending upon how the UI is expressed
    • Protect the feature with a captcha just like comments to prevent or deter SPAM
    • Let the viewer send the site owner a plain text message (no HTML)
    • Ask the viewer for their email address so the site owner can reply
    • Use the same infrastructure you have for sending email announcements since you already have that in place for sending emails on behalf of customers
    • Send the email to the email address on record for the account
    --John
    HomepagePopular
This discussion has been closed.