Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #2

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I don't put my email address on either of my sites because I don't want it to be harvested by SPAM bots, but I would like my viewers to be able to contact me with questions.

I have a link to my email that is not harvestable by bots, and it works great. I followed the instructions here, and you can see it at work on my Guestbook page. Follow the "Me" link in my signature, if you want to see that.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I have a link to my email that is not harvestable by bots, and it works great. I followed the instructions here, and you can see it at work on my Guestbook page. Follow the "Me" link in my signature, if you want to see that.

I appreciate the reference to another way to do this, but the whole point of this feature request is that we thought it would be useful to make it easy for all of your users (not only the ones with advanced accounts and advanced customization skills) to be able to do this with something as simple as a checkbox in a customization form. I often worry that dgrin is sooo slanted to the power user at Smugmug that we sometimes lose site of how less sophisticated the majority of users and the majority of viewers are.

I don't use mailto links because as much as half of my viewership uses webmail, but your point is taken that I could use JavaScript to generate my email address and "most" bots wouldn't go to the trouble of capturing it (though they could if they wanted to). It would still reveal my email address to any actual person viewing my site and my feauture suggestion has the added benefit of not revealing my email address to anyone I don't reply to.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    John pointed out here that a smugmug gallery doesn't show up when JavaScript is disabled. Could you please add a < noscript> fallback that at least shows the gallery page in the old browsing style instead of showing nothing? The user temporarily could change to another view, but this might not work forever as you're also migrating the other view styles to the new method and honestly I don't want the user having to change anything to view my galleries.
    Also a small note that JavaScript is required for the site to be fully functional would be a nice touch.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    This is done and live.
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    jmpsmash wrote:
    i would like to request a "copy photo" feature. this should allow one to select one or more pics from one gallery, and then copy them into another gallery.

this will in effect be a "make 2nd copy" + "move". but it will be much more convenient to do it in one step.

Here, here.

It's a royal pain moving things around using the "make 2nd copy then move" steps. Computers are supposed to automate steps, get rid of manual labor.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    dwterry wrote:
    Here, here.

It's a royal pain moving things around using the "make 2nd copy then move" steps. Computers are supposed to automate steps, get rid of manual labor.
    Mass Make 2nd Copy Utility?
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/SmugMugHacksAndApps
  • Options
    dwterrydwterry Registered Users Posts: 209 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Andy wrote:

Umm... no. I prefer to be able to see what I'm doing. I'm not doing "mass copies". That's what makes it hard. I may pick and choose only 3 or 4 images out of a couple hundred, make copies of those, and then have to HUNT THEM DOWN (visually inspecting the gallery looking for duplicates) in order to move them. And I'm always fearful that I'll forget about one and leave the duplicate behind.

It'd be so much easier to do it all in one step. Via smugmug, not an external utility.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    This is done and live.
    Great, now people at least have a clue where to look for when a problem occurs. Looks like my timing was just right with the maintainance night coming up. :)

I guess also to include the whole old smugmug browsing style as a fallback would blow up the code too much, doesn't it?

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2007
    Great, now people at least have a clue where to look for when a problem occurs. Looks like my timing was just right with the maintainance night coming up. :)

I guess also to include the whole old smugmug browsing style as a fallback would blow up the code too much, doesn't it?

Sebastian
    Yeah Jimmy considered it but it just wasn't working out. Thanks Sebastian!
  • Options
    alixmilesalixmiles Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    I would like the ability to manually remove a picture from the most popular.
    Right now I have one in mine that I have even replaced...and I cant get it to go away.

I would also like the ability to "RESET" the entire popular photo group.
    This could be an immediate change or one that changes based on a frequency input by the site owner.

Maybe weekly or monthly.

Thanks
    Barry
    www.lawsonimages.com
    www.lawsonimages.com

Will trade 2 crisp examples of the "Kit Lens" for a 400mm 2.8
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi John, ouch, I'm sorry that our Stats are falling short for you. I'll make sure that our Product Manager, Ben, sees your comments. To get the views you are looking for, you'll need to add the stats up for each gallery, for the originals from those galleries.

I'm sorry I do not have a better answer for you.

Here are some of the ways it falls short:
    • Random gallery order (or at least it seems random to me).
    • No way to see category or sub-category name of a gallery or view by category/sub-category. I have multiple galleries named "Highlights" because each of my events usually has one. I also have lots of galleries named "Sara" because that's a player's name that is often on the teams I'm shooting. I can't tell any of these apart in the stats page. I can sometimes guess by activity or by what other galleries appear to be near it, but I shouldn't have to guess.
    • Having to go to the control panel, click on more details, find a gallery, then manually add up numbers is not the best UI for this.
    • I should be able to go to a category or a gallery and select "View Download Statistics" from a menu and see statistics for just that part of my site. And, when I do, I should get some sub-totals and totals for that scope.
    • I should be able to set a timeframe of interest that goes back at least 90 days and not have to manually add up a bunch of numbers and not only be able to see one calendar month at a time.
    Has anyone done anything useful with the stats info available through the API? I've tried the stats stuff in StarExplorer several times and ended up feeling like I had to learn how to use a new database and run queries in it just to answer a simple question.

A simple tree view of my categories, sub-categories and galleries and images in the galleries and sizes of those images that rolled up sub-totals and let me expand/collapse the tree as I liked and define the time period I was interested in would be perfect. I could get hits by size on a sub-category with just a few clicks and I could drill down to find out which gallery and which images were contributing the most. I wouldn't have to do any manual addition and I wouldn't have to go find things and I wouldn't have to learn a database. The UI here could be really simple and could scale effectively to thousands of galleries.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    {ideas on improving stats from John}
    Great and very valid post! I give all of you ideas my vote, John. thumb.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    More Update Buttons Please
    I think it would be a big help to add the 'update' button at the bottom of all the text areas on the customize page. When ever I make a change to one area I always have to scroll all the way down. This would really help the UI.

Cheers!
    David
  • Options
    encosionencosion Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    dwterry wrote:
    Umm... no. I prefer to be able to see what I'm doing. I'm not doing "mass copies". That's what makes it hard. I may pick and choose only 3 or 4 images out of a couple hundred, make copies of those, and then have to HUNT THEM DOWN (visually inspecting the gallery looking for duplicates) in order to move them. And I'm always fearful that I'll forget about one and leave the duplicate behind. It'd be so much easier to do it all in one step. Via smugmug, not an external utility.
    Agree, as I posted earlier, my suggested implementation would only require a slight modification to the 'Move Photos' command...

One of the ways in which I like to use the "Make a 2nd Copy" and "Move Photos" functions is cropping - This enables me to crop a couple of photos and move the original un-cropped photos into a separate private gallery as a backup... With my current gear (see signature), I need to crop more often than I'd like, as what I see through the view finder, isn't what I end up with! For some reason, I'm getting more subject matter into each frame than I desire, thus requiring a crop in some cases...
    Canon EOS 500D (Kiss X3)
    85mm f/1.8, 17-50 + 28-75m
    f/2.8 lenses
    iMac 24" 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, 4Gb RAM, OSX 10.5.7
    http://encosion.com/ | http://encosion.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    reverse sort pics in showRecent(days)
    I followed this post and went to see what happens when I play around with the showRecent script and a discusion about flip-flopping the order of the images:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52921&page=3

This would be a feature request then.

I tried this URL:
    http://davidweaver.smugmug.com/date/2007-5-15/2007-04-30

Error nicely trapped BTW :D

This URL :
    http://davidweaver.smugmug.com/date/2007-4-30/2007-05-15

is basically what the function produces.

When I send XXXXX.smugmug.com/date/startdate/enddate
    where startdate and enddate are formatted YYYY-MM-DD
    The code only understands startdate <= enddate and returns the images in order from startdate to enddate.

Okay. I understand that logic.

What we'd like to do is request from enddate to startdate. that way the images would be pulled in the order we want them displayed.

Sound right?
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    I just wondered whether it might be an idea to have a function whereby if you are logged in you could click a button to prevent ANY orders/prints/downloads witha little message to explain: just while you made a few changes yourself, as I have read here and there instances where people have needed to make changes and commented that they ahve had to keep their fingers crossed that no one orders at that exact moment to take advantage of what they wewre doing (i.e. the temporary changes tey made to adjust things before setting them back
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    andreasandreas Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    Hi,
    being one of your german users here, i have a problem with keywords containing umlauts like "ä"," ü", "ö" and "ß".
    Many german expressions contain these, and if german customers search for a specific expression containing an umlaut via my own search on smugmug or using a search machine like google, lycos, yahoo etc., they hardly find my photo. This is because smugmug changes a keyword with umlaut to a keyword without umlaut, like "weiß" (the german expression for the color white) to "wei".

I wonder if smugmug could help those users not just to delete an umlaut in a specific keyword but to change it automatically to a variant spelling that is also found by search machines. At least google states to find words with umlaut and the variant spelling in the same way.

We can do a test, to find out that this is true. Example: the german expression for "white christmas":

-> let google search for "Weiße Weihnachten" (approx. 59100 hits right now)
    -> let google search for "Weisse Weihnachten" (approx. 59100 hits right now)

Now we aren´t surprised that the search for "Weie Weihnachten" (the expression, like smugmug would change these two words automatically) won´t be that successful - you will only find typos!

-> let google search for "Weie Weihnachten" (36 hits right now)

So, for german users it would be great if the smugmug keyword script would change

"ä" to "ae"
    "ö" to "oe"
    "ü" to "ue"
    "ß" to "ss"

Of course one can do this manually. Usually i copy my captions text into the keyword section and edit it afterwards. But one has to be careful not to forget something.

Any way to implement this script change?
    As far as i can see, it wouldn´t affect english writing users at all.
    And i bet it is only a very little code change ;-)

I´m sure there are other (non-german) examples out there in the smugmug community.

Best wishes from germany and thanks for the great support from smugmug team so far.
    cheers,
    andreas
    www.andreaswerth.net

• Options
    edited May 20, 2007
    andreas wrote:
    So, for german users it would be great if the smugmug keyword script would change

"ä" to "ae"
    "ö" to "oe"
    "ü" to "ue"
    "ß" to "ss"
    This gets my vote, because I'm also a German user having faced this issue.

Thanks for reposting it in the actual feature request thread. I know now why Andy hasn't moved your other post yet. He's taking a couple days off for a photography workshop.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited May 20, 2007
    Provide option to change the size of the thumbnail
    NugBlazer made a request in this thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=61696 that is something that I've wanted for a long time.

I would like to be able to indicate which size of thumbnail is shown. I don't want to use the zoom thumbnails hack because I'd prefer to have the thumbnail reflect the shape of the photo. But I prefer the look of the larger thumbnail that is used if the page has <= 5 thumbnails.

I'd love to have the ability to set this preference.
    from ivar's post in the original thread:
    The thumnails on the 3 pages listed, are a different type of thumbnails as opposed to the one page with 3 thumbs.

If you have =< 5 thumbnails showing on a page, they will be bigger (and classed .albumLarge)
    --- Denise
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    I'd like to request that the developers add class="passwordPage" to the body tag on password pages.

I know that it is possible to add this via a Javascript function like
    function checkPasswordPage()
    {
       if ( YD.getElementsByClassName('passwordPage', 'div')[0] ) {
          YD.addClass(document.body,"passwordPage"); 
       }
    }

but having the class there by default would make customisation of password pages much easier.
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2007
    I just decided that I didn't want photoranking after all - now I have to go the=roiugh EVERY gallery and customise them ONE AT A TIME

I wish there wa s away to add global settings like 'Default' themes or something
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2007
    Simon King wrote:
    I just decided that I didn't want photoranking after all - now I have to go the=roiugh EVERY gallery and customise them ONE AT A TIME

I wish there wa s away to add global settings like 'Default' themes or something

Hi Simon, nope, you don't. From our help page:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/search-online-photo-album

add this to your javascript box:
    displaySmugPopular = false;
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Simon, nope, you don't. From our help page:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/search-online-photo-album

add this to your javascript box:
    displaySmugPopular = false;

OH cool - thanks
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    xentarxentar Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 23, 2007
    It looks like the only way to "feature" a keyword gallery is to do some major code hacking so it will appear into the featured section with other featured galleries.

But it won't appear unless you first feature a gallery, and only then the keyword gallery will appear. Otherwise it remains hidden even if you have the 'feature' section turned on.

The only problem with this is, I don't want to 'feature' any of my galleries, I simply want a keyword gallery. (Along with recent photos featured gallery)

MY REQUEST:
    So I was thinking.... wouldn't it be great if I could simply click on a keyword, which will then take me to a keyword gallery (ie: nickname.smugmug.com/keyword/example) and once loaded, you'll see the 'tool' option beneath the photo:

<keyword tools>
    Edit this Caption/Keywords
    Edit Captions/Keywords (bulk)
    add this!--->Make featured gallery

I think this would be a great way to quickly make keyword galleries appear on the main page without any code hacking or using only the direct link/url (navbar, or html page)

I figured this would be easier to implement considering the 'virtual' or 'smart' galleries are not yet available on smugmug.
  • Options
    edited May 23, 2007
    Andy's got a keywords gallery I'm sure ;-)
    xentar wrote:
    It looks like the only way to "feature" a keyword gallery is to do some major code hacking so it will appear into the featured section with other featured galleries.

But it won't appear unless you first feature a gallery, and only then the keyword gallery will appear. Otherwise it remains hidden even if you have the 'feature' section turned on.

The only problem with this is, I don't want to 'feature' any of my galleries, I simply want a keyword gallery. (Along with recent photos featured gallery)

MY REQUEST:
    So I was thinking.... wouldn't it be great if I could simply click on a keyword, which will then take me to a keyword gallery (ie: nickname.smugmug.com/keyword/example) and once loaded, you'll see the 'tool' option beneath the photo:

<keyword tools>
    Edit this Caption/Keywords
    Edit Captions/Keywords (bulk)
    add this!--->Make featured gallery

I think this would be a great way to quickly make keyword galleries appear on the main page without any code hacking or using only the direct link/url (navbar, or html page)

I figured this would be easier to implement considering the 'virtual' or 'smart' galleries are not yet available on smugmug.
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    zerobuttonszerobuttons Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    I searched for a way to do goal conversion including the cart checkout page, with Google Analytics for my SmugMug site. I found this thread:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=46910

It seems that there is no way to do that right now, since the checkout page is a SmugMug page outside of the gallery owner´s domain.
    It also seems to me that other gallery owners than me wish that it would become possible to do this in the future.

Are you considering anything like this?

Best regards,
    David List
  • Options
    jcloudmjcloudm Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 25, 2007
    Facebook
    I know this isn't a traditional smugmug thing, but I would like to see a smugmug widget developed for the Facebook API. This could help people who look at my facebook profile to see my pictures without having to upload them to the facebook photos app.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2007
    SmugIsland
    Added KW's to passworded galleries and they show in main keyword list logged
    in and not logged out. Great!

What's needed is when logged out the KW list would contain KW's for
    passworded galleries after password in entered. In other words any gallery
    entered with password, it's keywords are amended to list. Without this the KW
    list is useless for family PW'ed galleries.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited May 29, 2007
    Request for thumbs down LHS - get more that way than
    STYLE like the filmstrip but- Request for thumbs down LHS - get more that way than going across, likened unto this 'ere gallery - Der LINK - merci beaucoupmwink.gif
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    EriktankEriktank Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2007
    I'd like to see a thumbs up/down counter. How many thumbs up and down have my "popular" photos gotten? Any way to enable this feature?

Thanks in advance,
    Erik Tank
    http://www.TanksDigitalEffects.com/
  • Options
    epettiepetti Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited May 30, 2007
    "Map This" shows 150 most recent unique?
    From observation only, it appears that the map feature (which I love) shows 150 most recent pins, but counts each photo that is geotagged as a unique pin, so if you took 150 photos in one spot you quickly limit the number of different spots that you can have featured on your map. Two possible great features that would be nice to improve the mapping feature would be:

- Have a way to detect and collapse non-unique locations -- say you tagged 200 photos with the same location, then that would only show up as one pin. This could greatly increase the number of unique locations on your home page map.
    - Allow you to tag which picture or set of pictures will be featured on the map, sort of like how you have featured galleries. I think I'd prefer the first option.

I do like how when you map a single photo it seems to show the other photos from that gallery (or at least from the area you are currently displaying) rather than from all of your photos.

Thanks.

Ernie
This discussion has been closed.