Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #2

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Multiple accounts under one site (admin, etc)
    The new 'keywords showing up when logged in' function gave me an idea. Would it be possible to set up admin and 'guest' logins under one account. The admin user would have access to the account as we all do now - upload, move, copy, customize. The guest would be given a different password which would open up things like the keywords across the site, sharing photos, downloading originals. If you wanted to be really fancy, you could make each password/login customizable by the admin with options for each of these functions to be available. No idea if that is remotely feasible but a thought...
    E
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    The new 'keywords showing up when logged in' function gave me an idea. Would it be possible to set up admin and 'guest' logins under one account.
    A similar option already exists for Pro accounts - Guest passwords.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    MandyBondsMandyBonds Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 7, 2007
    What I would REALLY LIKE!!!
    I would Really like to be able to use MPIX as the lab...their quality seems to be SO much better! Just a suggestions, or a beg! :)
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    A similar option already exists for Pro accounts - Guest passwords.

Sebastian

Thanks for pointing that out Sebastian. I'll have to look at that pro option in more detail...
    E
  • Options
    DKS photographyDKS photography Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    I am with you Michael
    photobanks wrote:
    I would like mutiple currency (I am based in the UK) integrated into the shopping cart. Also, I would like the option to offer my own products, such as custom designed albums (obviously smugmug would take there cut for the payment processing), so I can fulfil custom order via the web!!

Cheers,

Michael

I am in Australia and my clients panic when they see Uncle Sam currency being forced on them. So how about it you guys, a currency selector for non US smugmugers?
    Whilst on the subject, I have a pro account and when smugmug feels it's time to send me some money from sales, I have to wait 20 working days (nearly 1 month) Pissed.gif for American cheques to be cleared in Australia and I get charged a good fee for the privilege as well.eek7.gif
    Can't you direct deposit to my Paypal account automatically?
    Make em good'n sharp
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    jennifer wrote:
    I'm not sure if this has been asked before (or maybe I'm using the wrong search criteria) but I would like to be able to cross link my galleries. For example, I just spent a weekend visiting family out of state. I'd love to be able to cross link the gallery under both Family and Vacation. Is that possible or may it be in the future?

If you are a Power User or Pro, then this is possible via Gallery Redirects (listed in the Advanced FAQ)
  • Options
    ButterflySisButterflySis Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2007
    MandyBonds wrote:
    I would Really like to be able to use MPIX as the lab...their quality seems to be SO much better! Just a suggestions, or a beg! :)

Hear, hear! I love MPix.
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Idea for alternative pricing methods
    Copied from other thread:

I'm really new here, but just a thought: could you provide a hook to the shopping cart whereby alternate pricing schemes could be implemented? The method would have to display an alternate smugger-developed screen for initial selection of the images, then return to you the quantity, size, and image id of each selected image along with the overall overridden price. Since profit is calculated by price-cost * .85, you really wouldn't need individual print prices. - Just a thought.
  • Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2007
    Ability to assign any photo to a category / subcategory thumb
    Just to have this in this forum as well:

Change the featured photo methodology to allow either:
    1) Make the featured photo an attribute of the Category / Sub-Category object - allowing any photo from any gallery to be the thumb for the category / sub-category
    -- OR --
    2) Create a new gallery type (Protected?) which would behave exactly like a Private gallery as far as users were concerned, but be visible to the Category/SubCategory Featured photo algorithm for discovery of the thumb.
    -- OR -- (less desireable)
    2B) Allow private photos to be visible as the Category / Sub-Category featured photo .

Reason this came up:

I photograph a number of dance studios... I would like to create:

Category: Dance Photography
    Sub Cat: Dance Studio 1, Dance Studio 2, Dance Studio 3, etc...
    Galleries: Within each dance studio, show a gallery for each event, etc...

I would like to apply Featured Photos within the Galleries (no problem, as is today). I would to make the Sub Cat Featured Photo be the Logo of the dance studio itself. Then I would like the Category Featured Photo to be an entirely different photo all together (since I would not want to play favorites and put just one of my customer's on the home page).

The current method of 'Featured Photos' makes it impossible to do this without exposing the temporary 'dummy' galleries needed to hold the featured photos (and logo photos) to logged in users.
  • Options
    emilyzaemilyza Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2007
    I've posted about this a while back, and I apologize if it's already been addressed, but it is something I would really love to have.

My whole site is password protected with one password. My friends and family have this password and can access all my albums. I do, however, from time to time, have pictures that I want to send to additional people that I necessarily don't want to access my entire site. I would also want friends/family to see these pics. I would love there to be a way to have two passwords... that way, the friends/family could see it using the same password, but others could view it with a different password and therefore not have access to the other albums. Does that make sense?

Right now I'm creating two albums, one with the general password and one with a different one. I've also been uploading the pictures to a free site like Kodak Gallery or Shutterfly and send that album to the people I don't want to have access to the entire site. It is a PITA though.
  • Options
    birchfieldbirchfield Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2007
    My Requests!
    just a couple of basic requests
    not sure whether these have been requested before

so here goes:

ability to choose size and no. of thumbnails on the gallery and gallery category pages
    i.e. NOT the system which it is now where if there are less than 5 galleries you get big thumbnails, and if there are more than 5 you get small thumbnails
    just a simple option in the gallery settings where you can specify the thumbnail size and no. of thumbnails per row

ability to force gallery style on popular photos and keywords page
    basically i would like to control exactly how people view my site
    also i am not sure whether first time viewers realise that the gallery styles can be changed, i know it took me a while to realise how to do it, it isn't that obvious

anyway it would be fantastic if these could be implemented and i think it would make smugmug that little bit better than it already is! thumb.gif

thanks
    james x
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2007
    birchfield wrote:
    just a couple of basic requests
    not sure whether these have been requested before

so here goes:

ability to choose size and no. of thumbnails on the gallery and gallery category pages
    i.e. NOT the system which it is now where if there are less than 5 galleries you get big thumbnails, and if there are more than 5 you get small thumbnails
    just a simple option in the gallery settings where you can specify the thumbnail size and no. of thumbnails per row
    Thanks - {JT} is working on these things as part of SmugMungous :)http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=54157 I don't know exactly how this'll pan out, but it's in the works now.
    ability to force gallery style on popular photos and keywords page
    basically i would like to control exactly how people view my site
    also i am not sure whether first time viewers realise that the gallery styles can be changed, i know it took me a while to realise how to do it, it isn't that obvious

You can do this now via your customization (e.g., I force traditional for popular view on my site....
    From the Start Here thread:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52812
    look in the advanced FAQ:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52811 #48
  • Options
    birchfieldbirchfield Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    1. Thanks - {JT} is working on these things as part of SmugMungous :)http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=54157 I don't know exactly how this'll pan out, but it's in the works now.

2. You can do this now via your customization (e.g., I force traditional for popular view on my site....
    From the Start Here thread:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52812
    look in the advanced FAQ:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=52811 #48

thanks andy clap.gif
  • Options
    BrdMan98BrdMan98 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2007
    Any chance, if there isn't one already, of having some type of "updated" placed on galleries when they are update?

I know the date shows up, but if you look at the gallery categories, on my page for example, it will say updated may 1 2007, altho there is an album in there that I put up on May 29th 2007..

If there was just a way to have a little "update" or "new" put next to the gallery categories on the front page, would be easier for people to know that there are new pictures, without having to look into every gallery.

Thanks
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Sort by Rating please
    Please offer a "sort by rating" option for galleries (the rating I apply in Adobe Bridge as 0-5 stars).

For a soccer season, I post the best 30 pictures of each kid on the team. The way I determine the best 30 is by ratings and I want to present the photos from highest rated to lowest rated (best ones first) in the gallery.

Because I can find no way to get Smugmug to sort by the rating, I have to resort to an inefficient work-around. I have to renumber the filenames in rating order and then have Smugmug sort by filename and then hide filenames from the display.

It would save me a tremendous amount of time to sort by rating. Might be useful to other event photographers too or even family galleries.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    BeltzClanBeltzClan Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    I would like metallic paper as a print option.

Gift cards. I know you have heard that a bunch. But something that works via a "code" at check out would be great. You could even make so that they could only use it once and anything left over is gone. (A competitor does this but I aint name dropping.)

A gallery CD option would be cool too. So customer could purchase a CD of everything in that Gallery for one price.
  • Options
    Jason DunnJason Dunn Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited June 11, 2007
    Better Home Page Design
    Every few months or so, I pop in here to request the same thing, in the hope that finally, somehow, this feature will be granted by the Smugmug staff (whom I think are amazing people, my #1 reason for using Smugmug is the staff and business philosophy):

*** Better Home Page Design ***

To me that means several things to enhance the overall experience of what a first-time visitor, or even a regular visitor, would see when they visit my Smugmug home page. Some improvements I'd love to see:
    1. The gallery thumbnail images are too small. I don't mean to sound insulting, but they're ridiculous - 100 x 67 pixels? For anyone with a high resolution monitor (1600 x 1200 and up) that's bordering on the "I have to look closely to figure out what I'm looking at" level. They're just too small. Especially as I add more and more galleries, it becomes important for people to be able to visually scan the page and find the gallery they want. I can't believe it's an issue of bandwidth any longer - every single friend and family member that accesses my photo site has high-speed access. 100 x 67 thumbnails belong in 1998. My ideal image size would be in the 300 x 200 range (give or take).
    2. The amount of text shown for each gallery on the home page is also too little. The limited text, combined with the limited width of the column, makes it impossible to fit even a single reasonably-sized sentence on the front page. I'd like to see double the amount of text on the home page before it goes to the "...more".
    And that's about it. Those two enhancements would make me 300% happier with Smugmug, and I imagine that every other Smugmug user would be equally happy - I can't think of a single reason why the home page has these painful limitations...Andy? Anyone?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    The Photos: photos.jasondunn.com
    The Blog: www.jasondunn.com
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    IE Upload 400 MB Limit
    I don't like having Java installed on all my Vista PCs, so the IE ActiveX uploader works well enough, but it has two problems:
    1. There's a 400 MB file limit per upload batch.I just uploaded 145 images at 85% JPEG compression, and I was over the 400 MB. Why is there an arbitrary limit? It's a hassle to have to start an upload, let it finish, then start another one to finish off the job. Can this limit be upped? 145 images isn't so many...
    2. After the upload is finished, it locks up IE7 for a good two minutes...presumably it's waiting for some sort of signal back from the server before it releases the control and shuts it down, but it's a hassle. Can this be improved?
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    StarExplorer
    Jason Dunn wrote:
    I don't like having Java installed on all my Vista PCs, so the IE ActiveX uploader works well enough, but it has two problems:
    1. There's a 400 MB file limit per upload batch.I just uploaded 145 images at 85% JPEG compression, and I was over the 400 MB. Why is there an arbitrary limit? It's a hassle to have to start an upload, let it finish, then start another one to finish off the job. Can this limit be upped? 145 images isn't so many...
    2. After the upload is finished, it locks up IE7 for a good two minutes...presumably it's waiting for some sort of signal back from the server before it releases the control and shuts it down, but it's a hassle. Can this be improved?
    You may have find better ways to solve your problem with the third party uploaders. I, myself, use StarExplorer, but there are some others too like SendToSmugmug. No upload limits. With StarExplorer, there is no Java, multiple galleries in one, unattended upload session, persistent upload list so even if the program crashes or has an error in the middle, you just start again and it picks up where it left off.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    photobyaaronphotobyaaron Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    I know this has been mentioned before, but I'd like to cast my vote for a "bulk thumbnail zoom" feature. I do not want to add a bunch of code to my website that will make it slower in order to have this feature. This should be built in. The thumbnails in the gallery look so much better when they are all squares! It takes too long to do this one by one. Please implement this feature!

Thanks! Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    specialagentdalespecialagentdale Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2007
    Owner gets access to originals, when logged-in
    I would like to be able to access and download my original images when logged in to smugmug. This could be a global preference for each site, like:

Access original Images when logged in? yes or no

This would not effect the gallery settings for all other users. Gallery settings for original images would always remain in effect for all normal (non logged-in) users. The logged-in owner of the images would be able to access his original files at his leisure.
    The reason I ask is this:

Say I am at work and I want to access one of my high-res (original) images. All of my galleries are set to NOT allow access to original images (because I don't want folks downloading my high-res images!)
    Currently, the only way to do this is to log-in, change the gallery setting to "allow original", download the original file, then change my gallery back to "do not allow original." Not only does this involve extra steps, but during the brief window where I am accessing the hi-res image, any random user could access my gallery and download my original images.

It makes much more sense to have an option for the "owner" of the site to always have access to the originals when logged in, regardless of the gallery settings. Thanks for listening.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    BeltzClan wrote:
    I would like metallic paper as a print option.
    Me too!

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    I would like to be able to access and download my original images when logged in to smugmug. This could be a global preference for each site, like:

If this were simple, we'd have it ..it's not as simple as it sounds, I'm afraid :(

But thank you for the feature request!
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    I know this has been mentioned before, but I'd like to cast my vote for a "bulk thumbnail zoom" feature. I do not want to add a bunch of code to my website that will make it slower in order to have this feature. This should be built in. The thumbnails in the gallery look so much better when they are all squares! It takes too long to do this one by one. Please implement this feature!

Thanks! Keep up the good work.
    Hi, the BZT hack doesn't slow down your site - and it works beautifully. Why not try it? I and many, many pros use it without difficulty.
  • Options
    edited June 12, 2007
    Jason Dunn wrote:
    I can't think of a single reason why the home page has these painful limitations...Andy? Anyone?
    Hang in there. The SmugSorcerers are working on some cool new ideas for this, and much more.

Thanks, as always, for posting!
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    You may have find better ways to solve your problem with the third party uploaders. I, myself, use StarExplorer, but there are some others too like SendToSmugmug.

Thanks, I'll look into StarExplorer - I haven't tried that particular one before. I'd still like to see the 400 MB cap lifted on the IE tool though, because there are occasions when I'm borrowing someone else's computer to upload photos and installing a third party app isn't realistic.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    Smugmug search is currently very simple.
    Is there any ways to search "exif".
    for example, I want to search for all the photos in my gallery which were taken with 50mm lens. Or all photos which were taken with a certain camera.
    Something like flickr camera finder, but much better. I.e. full exif search. For example I want to search all ISO 1600 shots taken by Rebel XTi and stuff like that.
  • Options
    TJcajunTJcajun Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited June 14, 2007
    Photo file names should show in the cart
    I posted this elsewhere, (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=573332&posted=1#post573332) and RichW encouraged me to repost it in this thread. I hope I'm getting this done correctly! If not, someone help me out. I've edited my original post slightly. RichW offered a solution that works for me (see his reply in above thread) but I don't feel a client needs to go to this effort.

Does anyone else wish that photo file names would show up with the photo in the cart? This was brought to my attention by a client. Here's the scenario. I have a handwritten list of maybe 30 fairly similar photos in one of my galleries (with filenames) and notes to indicate what to do on each filenamed photo, such as various cropping work done, maybe some duplicates, various sizes, and so forth, for an order. I select the photos and send them to the cart. Now I'm ready to do my editing, duplicating, etc. But it is very confusing to know which photo needs what done in the cart, because there are no filenames that show up with the photos. Sure, I can click on the photo, go back to the gallery, see what the filename is, then go back to the cart and make my edits. That's not good work flow.

All that's needed is for the filenames to show up with the photos in the cart. Any chance that this can be accomplished?

Thanks for considering this.
    TJCajun
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    Deeper breadcrumb?
    Please can we have this.
    Now its only Category : Subcategory : Gallery
    Would love to have
    Category : Subcategory : Sub-Sub category : Gallery

For example
    Travel : North America : California : "Galleries"

The current breadcrumb is a little short.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited June 16, 2007
    I am in Australia and my clients panic when they see Uncle Sam currency being forced on them. So how about it you guys, a currency selector for non US smugmugers?
    Whilst on the subject, I have a pro account and when smugmug feels it's time to send me some money from sales, I have to wait 20 working days (nearly 1 month) Pissed.gif for American cheques to be cleared in Australia and I get charged a good fee for the privilege as well.eek7.gif
    Can't you direct deposit to my Paypal account automatically?

VERY good point - I havent earned anything yet (what's new?rolleyes1.gif ) but I also get slammed whenever any transaction is from overseas it is truly a PITA!

REQUEST: could we have a DG thread that just lists the feature requests, with a POLL?

That way we could see a feature and whether we were just about to request the same thing or a version of it, and can add our vote?
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
This discussion has been closed.