Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    What's with the captions in fullscreen slideshow overlapping the slides? This doesn't look good at all.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    What's with the captions in fullscreen slideshow overlapping the slides? This doesn't look good at all.
    Known and reported bug - thanks for showing it to us and we will get it fixed Allen - thanks.
  • Options
    gblottergblotter Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Hey Folks,

I reported these problems in another thread (see http://digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=97390&page=9 ) but I wanted to make sure it was registered here on the appropriate thread.

I am noticing several things that have gone wrong - just started tonight. I can only assume it is somehow associated with the June 21st change/rollback. My gallery pages (with Smugmug elegant format/Carbonite theme) display mostly fine under Firefox 3.0, but are terribly broken under IE 6.0

Sample page: http://www.blotter.info/gallery/4750...81536699_Y2g4G

View this page with both Firefox 3.0 and IE 6.0 and you will start to see the problems.

Problem #1: Thumbnail jiggle when hovering over the thumbnails. The jiggle seems to exist under both Firefox and IE. Haven't we seen this one before - and it got fixed a long time ago? I have been doing a lot of customization work on my SmugMug site over the last week, so I am fairly certain I would have noticed the thumbnail jiggle before if it was a pre-existing condition (or maybe I am just going insane - entirely possible). The return of the thumbnail jiggle is an annoyance but not a serious problem.

Problem #2: Image #1 in the gallery does not display under IE 6.0 when you first bring up the page for viewing (there is just a big blank spot on the #mainImage section of the page - no photo is displayed). You need to navigate back and forth between images in order to display the first photo in the gallery. This is only a problem for IE 6.0 - Firefox 3.0 seems to display fine.

Problem #3: If I move my mouse off the page, the gallery image (#mainImage) seems to completely disappear from view. This is only a problem for IE 6.0 - Firefox 3.0 seems to display fine.

Problem #4: The gallery image (#mainImage) seems to be misplaced on the page and covers up part of the caption box. This is only a problem for IE 6.0 - Firefox 3.0 seems to display fine.

I agree with the rest of the civilized world that Firefox is a vastly superior browser, but given the wide-spread use of IE, these represent some serious bugs that have been introduced.<!-- / message -->
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    gblotter wrote:
    Problem #4: The gallery image (#mainImage) seems to be misplaced on the page and covers up part of the caption box. This is only a problem for IE 6.0 - Firefox 3.0 seems to display fine..
    I noticed this also and added a small top margin to the captions yesterday. I
    saw this in both FF2 and IE6.

.caption {
    margin-top: 5px;
    }
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    gblotter wrote:
    Hey Folks,

Greg, I moved your post and notified you by pm - these aren't bugs - customizing issues :) We'll sort you out in the customizing forum, thanks!
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Greg, I moved your post and notified you by pm - these aren't bugs - customizing issues :) We'll sort you out in the customizing forum, thanks!

User error is certainly a distinct possibility with anything I touch. Problem #1 (thumbnail jiggle) does seem to go away when my customizations are removed. I'll followup over on the customization forum for that one.

However, problems #2-4 persist even when all my customizations are removed.

I created a duplicate copy of the gallery here:

http://gblotter.smugmug.com/gallery/5228784_ioXWQ/1/317606353_HgJfq

There are no customizations in place for this example. Everything views fine with Firefox 3.0, but problems #2-4 persist in IE 6.0 (at least on my computer).

It seems like Allen has independently confirmed problem #4 at a minimum. These could all be related manifestations of the same bug. Perhaps if problem #4 gets fixed, the others will go away as well. I guess you are rolling something out later today ... I'll check back again later.

It's certainly nice to have such responsiveness. Just knowing that your comments/concerns aren't going off into a black hole makes a big difference.
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    gblotter wrote:
    User error is certainly a distinct possibility with anything I touch. Problem #1 (thumbnail jiggle) does seem to go away when my customizations are removed. I'll followup over on the customization forum for that one.

However, problems #2-4 persist even when all my customizations are removed.

I created a duplicate copy of the gallery here:

http://gblotter.smugmug.com/gallery/5228784_ioXWQ/1/317606353_HgJfq

There are no customizations in place for this example. Everything views fine with Firefox 3.0, but problems #2-4 persist in IE 6.0 (at least on my computer).

It seems like Allen has independently confirmed problem #4 at a minimum. These could all be related manifestations of the same bug. Perhaps if problem #4 gets fixed, the others will go away as well. I guess you are rolling something out later today ... I'll check back again later.

It's certainly nice to have such responsiveness. Just knowing that your comments/concerns aren't going off into a black hole makes a big difference.
    Greg, those are Carbonite Theme issues in IE6. We can probably fix them but IE6 is so bad I don't know :( For now, use a different theme, will see what I can do about Carbonite umph.gif
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Greg, those are Carbonite Theme issues in IE6. We can probably fix them but IE6 is so bad I don't know :( For now, use a different theme, will see what I can do about Carbonite umph.gif

I certainly hope the Carbonite issues can be fixed. I have all my site customizations designed around the Carbonite theme, so I'd hate to redo all of that.

In the mean time, I'll try out the caption margin fix suggested by Allen in post #275.
  • Options
    pavepave Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited June 22, 2008
    Automatic keyword extraction from filenames
    Andy wrote:
    Did you find a bug? Ooops, tell us all about it!
    After the recent changes that you made to smugmug, it will now automatically create keywords from the names of the files I upload. This doesn't really go well with my file naming scheme and the infered keywords don't make much sense, so they look ugly when displayed below my photos. There should be an option to disable this behavior (or maybe there is and I'm just blind?). If I really want keywords, I will set them in IPTC before uploading.

Thanks,
    Pawel
  • Options
    edited June 22, 2008
    pave wrote:
    After the recent changes that you made to smugmug, it will now automatically create keywords from the names of the files I upload. This doesn't really go well with my file naming scheme and the infered keywords don't make much sense, so they look ugly when displayed below my photos. There should be an option to disable this behavior (or maybe there is and I'm just blind?). If I really want keywords, I will set them in IPTC before uploading.

Thanks,
    Pawel
    It has always since Day 1 (years and years ago) been that we make keywords out of filenames. It's only been a bug for a few months, and we finally fixed it. Sorry!

Reference: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=76328

And our help page:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/keywords-tags

Sorry :(
  • Options
    blazerblazer Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 22, 2008
    Little Progress.......
    While I find it encouraging that someone did finally get on this issue and do something about it. I am wondering if it is actually fixed correctly. I mean, if you click on a keyword, say on your homepage, you will see all the photos with that keyword on the whole site through multiple galleries if set that way. So you SHOULD be able to Edit Bulk Captions/Keywords of just those photos you pulled up with the keyword. The way it is set up now is that you can click on the edit part but it takes you to the gallery that the photo is from, NOT just the photos by the specific keyword you were just looking at. You end up with bulk editing photos you don't want.
    What's the use of this? I mean, I can do that through the original gallery. It just makes no sense.
    blazer wrote:
    I find it completely UNACCEPTABLE that this issue has yet to be addressed. This could save a ton of my time. This should of been fixed by now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blazer
    When logged in and on a keyword page. (for instance I click on one of the "Top 200 Photo Keywords from the homepage). Clicking on 'Edit this Caption/Keywords' OR 'Edit Captions/Keywords (BULK)' under the keyword tools just goes to a blank page.

I am using the latest version of Firefox on Windows XP and I have a pro account.

Example For admin's. (Must be logged in to get the Keyword tools Drop Down menu.)
    http://blazerphoto.smugmug.com/keywo...75208597_CHsXp
  • Options
    jedi6jedi6 Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Hide photo now working?
    I have a few pictures hidden and when trying to hide one more it isn't saving my selection. Also If I try to unhide one I previously hid it does not unhide it. Is this an issue anyone else can reproduce?

Thanks

http://mikejeide.com/

Sorry Just noticed the title is wrong. It should read "Hide Photo not working?"
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    jedi6 wrote:
    I have a few pictures hidden and when trying to hide one more it isn't saving my selection. Also If I try to unhide one I previously hid it does not unhide it. Is this an issue anyone else can reproduce?

Thanks

http://mikejeide.com/

Sorry Just noticed the title is wrong. It should read "Hide Photo not working?"
    Hi it looks to be working fine here for me - please give a link, and browser details for your site, so we can check okay?
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi it looks to be working fine here for me - please give a link, and browser details for your site, so we can check okay?

http://mikejeide.com/gallery/4625194_rU8VJ#272945663_robGS

Here is a link to one I was trying to unhide. I click on the checkmark and then wait a few seconds and click on another picture and then back on this one and the checkmark is back. Same is true with any other picture if I try to hide it. It acts like it works, but then I go back to that picture and it is back to how it was originally.

I am using ff3 and have checked on both win xp and os x with the same results. Is it possibly something that has just come up with ff3?

Thanks for your help Andy.

Mike
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    jedi6 wrote:
    http://mikejeide.com/gallery/4625194_rU8VJ#272945663_robGS

Here is a link to one I was trying to unhide. I click on the checkmark and then wait a few seconds and click on another picture and then back on this one and the checkmark is back. Same is true with any other picture if I try to hide it. It acts like it works, but then I go back to that picture and it is back to how it was originally.

I am using ff3 and have checked on both win xp and os x with the same results. Is it possibly something that has just come up with ff3?

Thanks for your help Andy.

Mike
    Validated, FF3 bug, we'll see what we can do. It works fine in other browsers though.
  • Options
    edited June 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Validated, FF3 bug, we'll see what we can do. It works fine in other browsers though.

Great. Thanks!
  • Options
    blazerblazer Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 25, 2008
    Smugcards
    Ya know, I really like Smugmug. I really do! :D 98% of the site is absolutely perfect. I believe Smugmug is the only site that actually has it right. bowdown.gif I've been extremely happy with my experience so far.

However, it bugs me that some things still don't work since I signed up in April. The whole smugcards thing. Still doesn't work for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? But it just freezes at "Click 'Categories' Below and Choose and Occasion"

And don't get me started with the whole bulk keywording thing.... scroll up...

Anyway, I've never been able to see this and I would really like to. I am using Firefox 2.0.0.14 With WinXP and sometimes Vista. Neither works.

So I just wanted to once more say how much I've enjoyed my Smugmug experience and look forward to a bright future with them. :encore
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    gblotter wrote:
    I certainly hope the Carbonite issues can be fixed. I have all my site customizations designed around the Carbonite theme, so I'd hate to redo all of that.

In the mean time, I'll try out the caption margin fix suggested by Allen in post #275.

I have been using Carbonite theme with IE6 for quite some time, but these problems just popped up with the June 21st release/rollback.

The best/easiest workaround I have found is to turn off "stretchy" functionality for my galleries. Perhaps SmugMug should temporarily disable stretchy for Carbonite until the theme can be fixed.

Life was good even before stretchy, so I guess I can live without it for a while. If possible, please post something here when a Carbonite fix becomes available. Thanks.
  • Options
    Bill_PadorBill_Pador Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    pave wrote:

Thanks,
    Pawel
    I'm also having a problem with the File Names / KEY WORD feature along with doing BULK Keywords. When SmugMug tried to add the key words from the file name it will not work, for some reason it is adding a ";" after the first word of the file name and then nothing comes up in the key word field until I go in a manually delete the ";" (ie.) it looks like this:

fishing; boat

Also when I go into BULK Edit Captions / Key Words, I'll choose the photos or ALL that I want to key word then "ADD Key Words To" Chosen or All, type my key words in, hit preview and then save. Well the Key Words are visible in the BULK page box's for each photo but it's attaching a ";" at the end of the string of words and then they don't show up under the photo until I physically go in and delete the ; symbol from EACH photo end of the key words.
    It Looks like this:

smith wedding April church reception;

The ; symbol is keeping the key words from being registered and when you have 300-400 photos from a party or event this is not something I wanna be doing all day. So for now I have several client galleries without any key words attached because of this. Can some tell me if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong, (ie.) should I be ADDING something to the KEY WORD STRING when I enter it in the BULK LINE to get this to work?

Oh I use IE7 if that's important
    New Jersey Photographer
    Professional Photographers Association & National Photoshop Professionals Member
    www.billpador.com
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 25, 2008
    Bill_Pador wrote:
    I'm also having a problem with the File Names / KEY WORD feature along with doing BULK Keywords. When SmugMug tried to add the key words from the file name it will not work, for some reason it is adding a ";" after the first word of the file name and then nothing comes up in the key word field until I go in a manually delete the ";" (ie.) it looks like this:

fishing; boat

Also when I go into BULK Edit Captions / Key Words, I'll choose the photos or ALL that I want to key word then "ADD Key Words To" Chosen or All, type my key words in, hit preview and then save. Well the Key Words are visible in the BULK page box's for each photo but it's attaching a ";" at the end of the string of words and then they don't show up under the photo until I physically go in and delete the ; symbol from EACH photo end of the key words.
    It Looks like this:

The ; symbol is keeping the key words from being registered and when you have 300-400 photos from a party or event this is not something I wanna be doing all day. So for now I have several client galleries without any key words attached because of this. Can some tell me if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong, (ie.) should I be ADDING something to the KEY WORD STRING when I enter it in the BULK LINE to get this to work?

I am also having problems with this feature and its getting frustrating. I have to go into bulk and remove the " and ; and the file names out of keywords. My file names are numbered with my inicials by the number...so what I see in every new photo I want to add keywords to is something like... jmm ; xxxx . I remove this by manually deleting each number in bulk settings then preview then add my own keywords to all and preview again then remove all " then preview again then save. When I go to the album I might see a couple of the keywords or all of them...but I still see the jmm too. Very frustrating! It wasn't like this a couple months ago....and I am spending way to much time correcting this manually.

I work with IE 6
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2008
    JAG wrote:
    I am also having problems with this feature and its getting frustrating. I have to go into bulk and remove the " and ; and the file names out of keywords. My file names are numbered with my inicials by the number...so what I see in every new photo I want to add keywords to is something like... jmm ; xxxx . I remove this by manually deleting each number in bulk settings then preview then add my own keywords to all and preview again then remove all " then preview again then save. When I go to the album I might see a couple of the keywords or all of them...but I still see the jmm too. Very frustrating! It wasn't like this a couple months ago....and I am spending way to much time correcting this manually.

I work with IE 6
    That is the SAME EXACT Problem I am having JAG to a "T" ! and like you said this is only recently that this problem has arrised, never happened before and now all of a sudden I can't list bulk key words or captions because of this, I gave up for now. I just do not have the time to edit each individual photo this way especially on galleries containing hundreds if not thousands of images at a time :(
    New Jersey Photographer
    Professional Photographers Association & National Photoshop Professionals Member
    www.billpador.com
  • Options
    PhotobycatePhotobycate Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Cannot Pull Up Website
    I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, but yesterday and today when I try to access photobycate.com or photobycate.smugmug.com the page does not display correctly and I cannot navigate through it. I am trying to access this from my office laptop that uses IE. I checked and the Smugmug site is not blocked. But I want to check on your side to see if there is a glitch of some sort.

Thanks,ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Bill_Pador wrote:

fishing; boat

It Looks like this:

BUMP - ANDY or any other SmugMug Rep. can you help us out with this situation please ?
    New Jersey Photographer
    www.billpador.com
  • Options
    ThandoThando Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Bill_Pador wrote:
    BUMP - ANDY or any other SmugMug Rep. can you help us out with this situation please ?

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the problems. How long did you say this has been happening? Can you point me to one of your galleries where the keywords have not been manually changed by you so that I can take a look? If you don't want to give a link, you can just tell me the name of the gallery and I can find it.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2008
    Thando wrote:
    Ouch. Sorry to hear about the problems. How long did you say this has been happening? Can you point me to one of your galleries where the keywords have not been manually changed by you so that I can take a look? If you don't want to give a link, you can just tell me the name of the gallery and I can find it.
    Here ya go Thando, this gallery is one of the latest this problem occurred and is the same as it was the day I uploaded the photos and the key words are still in tact like they were with the ";" in them preventing them from showing

http://billpador.smugmug.com/gallery/5048134_Rd5fc/1/315750761_AWpQt
    New Jersey Photographer
    www.billpador.com
  • Options
    hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    Slideshow captions truncated?
    I've found that some captions are cut off on my slideshows. It doesn't appear to be related to length, and I don't see that it's related to special characters in any way. For an example see this picture:
    http://monkeytales.smugmug.com/gallery/5147803_JBgHs#313635151_3ML28

Note the caption and then go to it in slideshow. I've got others with much longer captions that display properly and I can find other examples of the bug if necessary. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    anglotexiananglotexian Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2008
    New Problems with Carbonite?
    Today I observed two problems that were not present a couple of days ago:

1. In any gallery when choosing to view a larger version of an image the new image used to open in the same window by replacing the gallery being viewed. Now it tries to open the new image in the same window but positioned below the gallery. I say "tries" because a large blank extension is added to the page. Scrolling way down into the blank space sometimes reveals the image at which point it jumps back up to the top, but mostly I have to stretch the window horizontally to reveal it. Either way, this is unacceptable. Same effect in both Safari and FF.

UPDATE: Problem #1 appears to have been fixed overnight - thank you! Problem #2 remains:

2. Bump the posting above - some captions in slideshow are now truncated. There's no pattern to it, appears totally random.

www.ianangel.com
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited June 28, 2008
    Rotate problem
    Every so often I need to rotate an image that is put into an album. Lately (I would say for about a couple of weeks) I notice that I will rotate them...wait for over 20 minutes...and they are still not rotated. Once I waited an hour. So I have to go back in and rotate them a second time before they will start to turn up in the right direction. I once had to do the same picture 3 times before it actually rotated. This was not like this when I joined up.

As of now...I am still waiting on a new album to rotate the pics I selected for rotation. I have gone through the rotate tool 2 times and its been over an hour since the first time. They have not changed yet (as of the time of this post).
    http://jagcreations.smugmug.com/gallery/5281519_6fy3c#321748957_Hd7Ws

Another problem I have noticed lately is that when I add a picture to an exsisting album...then click view the album....almost all the pictures have disappeared as thumbs and as a larger view (in smugmug view). It will show in the count that all the pics and pages are there...but the pics are not viewing (even the existing ones). I have found that if I leave the gallery all together and click on a seperate gallery....then go back to the one I added the pic....all the thumbs return except for the new ones...they are still processing but will turn up eventually. headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2008
    hyachts wrote:
    I've found that some captions are cut off on my slideshows. It doesn't appear to be related to length, and I don't see that it's related to special characters in any way. For an example see this picture:
    http://monkeytales.smugmug.com/gallery/5147803_JBgHs#313635151_3ML28

Note the caption and then go to it in slideshow. I've got others with much longer captions that display properly and I can find other examples of the bug if necessary. Any thoughts?
    Known issue, we'll get it fixed soon I hope.
  • Options
    kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    no 'save' or 'cancel' buttons when editing captions
    When I edit captions, there isn't a 'save' or 'cancel' button to do so. It's been this way for at least 3 days that I know of. ne_nau.gif

Thanks!
    Lindsey
This discussion has been closed.