Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

Comments

• Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Arrange this photo
    When I upload a new photo to a large gallery it is dropped at the end of the gallery.
    If I use "arrange this photo" to bring it to the top, it doesn't work.
    I have to use "arrange photos" instead.
    If I use "arrange this photo" on a photo that hasn't just been uploaded, it works.

Also is there a way to have the uploaded photos dropped at the top of the gallery without changing from manual arrange?
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    When I upload a new photo to a large gallery it is dropped at the end of the gallery.
    If I use "arrange this photo" on a photo that hasn't just been uploaded, it works.

Also is there a way to have the uploaded photos dropped at the top of the gallery without changing from manual arrange?

In the customize gallery screen, change your gallery sort order to be by "date uploaded", descending order. The most recently uploaded photos will always be at the front of the gallery.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    In the customize gallery screen, change your gallery sort order to be by "date uploaded", descending order. The most recently uploaded photos will always be at the front of the gallery.

Thanks, but if I do this aren't the pictures strictly sorted by date, which I do not always want?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Two bugs/issues that would save some support encounters
    From this thread.

Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by Fun Dude
    Thanks for the feedback.
    I have tried several times to RENAME the category from
    + FRIENDS
    to
    FRIENDS
    and each time it processes the SAVE button / command
    but when I go back to the main page
    the category is shown as still being
    + FRIENDS
    and the above problem still remains.

Is there a support are who can make this change happen ?

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Aha, so there may be two Smugmug bugs here:
    1. When you try to rename a category to the same name as an existing category, it doesn't give you any kind of error message to tell you that. Instead, it just silently fails.
    2. It lets you put a + sign in the category name, but when you do that, the category doesn't work.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Broken keyboard shortcuts for SmugMug, Lightbox?
    Ok, so I know that when you're in Lightbox, the arrow keys take you forwards and backwards. I know this also works in SmugMug Style.

But what does L do from SmugMug Style? When I inadvertantly hit that key, the Lightbox comes up but then seems to be loading... forever. Is it supposed to be Large?

S works for Small, O works for Original, A works for Auto. But M and L seem broken for me. X properly exits Lightbox.

(BTW, it'd be nice if you underlined the first letters, like <u>S</u>mall * <u>M</u>edium * <u>A</u>uto (a la Windows keyboard shortcuts), so that people can nore easily see that they're shortcuts.

Oh, I get a JS error in Firebug. Check it out:
    photoInfo[ImageKey] has no properties
    keyDown(keydown charCode=0, keyCode=77)gallery_ajax-min-... (line 22)
    CustomEvent(keydown charCode=0, keyCode=77)

Also -- I *love* the arrow key shortcuts in both Lightbox and SmugMug Style, but I *hate* how you're also hijacking the Alt-Arrow keys such that I cannot navigate within Firefox normally. I don't know enough about JavaScript to know if you can trap for arrow keypresses without catching alt-arrow keypresses, but if you can, that'd be swell.

Thanks guys!
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    Please give us a link to the gallery where you see this happening.
    How about setting the sort order to descending? That should make new photos show up at the beginning rather then at the end of a gallery.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Ok, so I know that when you're in Lightbox, the arrow keys take you forwards and backwards. I know this also works in SmugMug Style.

But what does L do from SmugMug Style? When I inadvertantly hit that key, the Lightbox comes up but then seems to be loading... forever. Is it supposed to be Large?

S works for Small, O works for Original, A works for Auto. But M and L seem broken for me. X properly exits Lightbox.

(BTW, it'd be nice if you underlined the first letters, like <u>S</u>mall * <u>M</u>edium * <u>A</u>uto (a la Windows keyboard shortcuts), so that people can nore easily see that they're shortcuts.

Oh, I get a JS error in Firebug. Check it out:
    photoInfo[ImageKey] has no properties
    keyDown(keydown charCode=0, keyCode=77)gallery_ajax-min-... (line 22)
    CustomEvent(keydown charCode=0, keyCode=77)

Also -- I *love* the arrow key shortcuts in both Lightbox and SmugMug Style, but I *hate* how you're also hijacking the Alt-Arrow keys such that I cannot navigate within Firefox normally. I don't know enough about JavaScript to know if you can trap for arrow keypresses without catching alt-arrow keypresses, but if you can, that'd be swell.

Thanks guys!
    Confirmed, we'll bug it internally and {JT} will fix it.... thanks Darryl.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    Please give us a link to the gallery where you see this happening.
    How about setting the sort order to descending? That should make new photos show up at the beginning rather then at the end of a gallery.

http://www.dennismullen.com/gallery/3112001_6uQKL#292921725_q6s2G

Thanks, but I need to arrange them manualy. I do not always want the pictures arranged by date.
    There are several hundred pictures in the gallery and it is tedious to always have to move the uploaded pictures to the front.
    This really augments the fact that "arrange this picture" doesn't work after uploading a picture.

I'm also having an issue here...

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=837965&postcount=2745

thanks for the help,
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2008
    http://www.dennismullen.com/gallery/3112001_6uQKL#292921725_q6s2G

Thanks, but I need to arrange them manualy. I do not always want the pictures arranged by date.
    There are several hundred pictures in the gallery and it is tedious to always have to move the uploaded pictures to the front.
    This really augments the fact that "arrange this picture" doesn't work after uploading a picture.
    Please give it a try and set the 'sort direction' to descending. Leave the autosort set to no and you should be fine.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    Please give it a try and set the 'sort direction' to descending. Leave the autosort set to no and you should be fine.

Sebastian

thanks for the reply,

I tried this on a gallery with a small amount of pictures and it rearranged all the pictures on me.
  • Options
    edited May 30, 2008
    thanks for the reply,

I tried this on a gallery with a small amount of pictures and it rearranged all the pictures on me.

It does let you arrange the photos after this though. I guess I have to face the music, make the change, and rearrange all the pictures again.
    In my opinion, if you have auto sort off, changing the sort direction shouldn't change the order of the existing pictures.
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    I'm afraid my problem with the upload buttons missing is not over. The crashing has stopped since I uninstalled the .dll from CanonEasyPrints and uninstalled Adobeflash9. But I still can not get to any uploader as I see a blank box with no buttons. I can work my way around the popup text to find most of them and get to the IE uploader but there is no button to upload the photos after dragging them into the box. Can anyone take a guess as to what I have missing to enable the button scripts on that page? Is it active X? Or should I try downloading an older version of adobeflash like 8? Thanks for the help. :yikes

I meant to add also, since I uninstalled CanonEasyPrints from the PC my canon Pro9000 printer is back to wonderful color, that matches my screen like before. So if anyone had a color change for some unexplainable reason, try uninstalling that program. It made the colors too dark and too red. I messed with it for months. Now I'm back to enjoying printing!
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    File order changes by its self

Sebastian

I'm still having a problem with this. I have set the sort dirrection to decending and autosort to no. Every once in a while the file order will invert all by its self, usually after uploading a file, and using "arrange files" to reverse the order will not work. The only way to correct the order is to change the sort order to ascending, then use "arrange files" to reverse the order, and then to put the sort order back to decending.

I must repeat that logic says if autosort is set to "no", changing the sort order should only change where future files are placed and not the existing ones. This could be at the root of this problem. Here is a gallery that is having the problem.

http://www.dennismullen.com/gallery/3319757_6FD46#185556714_a64ne
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    Still doing it
    I'm still having a problem with this. I have set the sort dirrection to decending and autosort to no. Every once in a while the file order will invert all by its self, usually after uploading a file, and using "arrange files" to reverse the order will not work. The only way to correct the order is to change the sort order to ascending, then use "arrange files" to reverse the order, and then to put the sort order back to decending.

I must repeat that logic says if autosort is set to "no", changing the sort order should only change where future files are placed and not the existing ones. This could be at the root of this problem. Here is a gallery that is having the problem.

http://www.dennismullen.com/gallery/3319757_6FD46#185556714_a64ne

Not only is this still happening, but the arrange mode checkbox doesn't work either. If I manually rearrange the pictures it seems good. But if I hit refresh, the pictures go back to the arrangement they were before, or worse get all scrambled up. Now it is almost impossible to arrange the order of my pictures. This is very frustrating. It took me a long time to set up the order in galleries with hundreds of pictures and now they are all scrambled and can't be corrected. :(

http://www.dennismullen.com/gallery/3120742_VFxEQ#292609445_5v9bP
  • Options
    Bill_PadorBill_Pador Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Unable to change gallery THEMES?
    Dear SmugMug Gurus,

I'm having a problem with my galleries for the last 3-4 days now. I am unable to change the THEMES on any of my pages. When I click on THEMES button it brings up the list of available themes but when I click on any of them to change the them it reloads the page but keeps the same theme that is in place and does not display the proper theme I have selected for that gallery.

Example is my Photo of the Day gallery, I have it set to EARTH and it says EARTH as it's chosen theme but it displays a plain black theme (smugmug default I guess), then if I click on any other them the page reloads as if it were going to preview it but it's still just black.
    You can see it in this gallery http://billpador.smugmug.com/gallery/5096918_U69ki
    It says CURRENT THEME: EARTH but it's just plain black.

I use IE 7 and have never had this problem until a few days ago. I actually changed a few themes last Tuesday or Wed. with no problems but since then I can't change anything. I have tried to reboot IE7, logged out then back into my smugmug account and also rebooted my computer thinking this may help to no avail.

Also along the same lines I am unable to use the ARRANGE MODE, I click on the box, move my photos around and then unchecked box but the photos return to their original position after the page refreshes.

Please help I have a PRO account and this is very frustrating since I'm trying to change the look of my site now along with making a new wedding gallery and a party gallery for 2 clients and I'm unable to complete the necessary tasks with this problem. I am a PRO account user. Thank You for your help & time.

Bill Pador
    New Jersey Photographer
    Professional Photographers Association & National Photoshop Professionals Member
    www.billpador.com
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    Bill_Pador wrote:
    Dear SmugMug Gurus,

I'm having a problem with my galleries for the last 3-4 days now. I am unable to change the THEMES on any of my pages. When I click on THEMES button it brings up the list of available themes but when I click on any of them to change the them it reloads the page but keeps the same theme that is in place and does not display the proper theme I have selected for that gallery.

Example is my Photo of the Day gallery, I have it set to EARTH and it says EARTH as it's chosen theme but it displays a plain black theme (smugmug default I guess), then if I click on any other them the page reloads as if it were going to preview it but it's still just black.
    You can see it in this gallery http://billpador.smugmug.com/gallery/5096918_U69ki
    It says CURRENT THEME: EARTH but it's just plain black.

I use IE 7 and have never had this problem until a few days ago. I actually changed a few themes last Tuesday or Wed. with no problems but since then I can't change anything. I have tried to reboot IE7, logged out then back into my smugmug account and also rebooted my computer thinking this may help to no avail.

Also along the same lines I am unable to use the ARRANGE MODE, I click on the box, move my photos around and then unchecked box but the photos return to their original position after the page refreshes.

Please help I have a PRO account and this is very frustrating since I'm trying to change the look of my site now along with making a new wedding gallery and a party gallery for 2 clients and I'm unable to complete the necessary tasks with this problem. I am a PRO account user. Thank You for your help & time.

Bill Pador
    Hi Bill,

Galleries that are associated with a Community, or where you have selected 'hide owner' to 'yes' are not able to select custom themes/looks, I'm sorry.
  • Options
    Bill_PadorBill_Pador Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited June 7, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Bill,

Galleries that are associated with a Community, or where you have selected 'hide owner' to 'yes' are not able to select custom themes/looks, I'm sorry.
    Thanks for the quick response Ivar - Turns out that's EXACTLY what it was! I had recently converted some of the galleries to belong to communities as is the PTOD one and after I disabled that feature in my regular galleries I was able to change the theme along with moving things around to my liking.

That kinda stinks though that if you associate a gallery with a community your custom options are then limited for your main site, but at least now I know not to join a community with a gallery if I want to customize it.

Thanks so much for the help!

Bill
    New Jersey Photographer
    Professional Photographers Association & National Photoshop Professionals Member
    www.billpador.com
  • Options
    ScottKnightScottKnight Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 11, 2008
    Video Thumbnails Won't Change
    First post here, but I have been lurking for a few days. Hopefully I am not rahashing something here, but I can't find any other references to the issue.

This week, I upgraded to a Power account and started uploading video. It's really quite exciting to see the quality difference versus YouTube and even Google. When I created my first gallery and uploaded the first video, it defaulted to square thumbnails. I prefer the original aspect ratio, so I changed to original and uploaded three more videos to the gallery. Now, no matter what I do, the thumbnails will not change. The first one remains square and the other three remain 1.5:1. I have repeatedly changed the settings on the gallery from square to original over the last few days and they remain:
    http://scottknight.smugmug.com/gallery/5129392_YTqqA

I would rather not upload the 164Mb file again since it appears to be fine, I just want the thumbnails all the same aspect ratio, preferably not square. Is this a bug or am I missing some way to force a new thumbnail?

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    ThandoThando Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2008
    I hope you don't mind. I'm tinkering around for a bit. I'll put things back the way they were soon. I just want to test a few things and see if I can figure it out for you.
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2008
    I would rather not upload the 164Mb file again since it appears to be fine, I just want the thumbnails all the same aspect ratio, preferably not square. Is this a bug or am I missing some way to force a new thumbnail?

Ok, I'm done tinkering. I've put everything back to the way it was except for the thumbnail is no longer square.

Honestly, I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it is something we are forced to do because of something else. I suspect a bug though.

And no, you don't have to re-upload that video or any in the future if you want to change the thumbnail. But you have to go through a few steps to get where you want to be. Here's the work around:

Step 1: Add a photo to the gallery so that you don't just have videos. There are photo tools that won't show up for video and you need one of them.

Step 2: Copy the Image ID and the Image Key from the browser's address bar for the video that you want to adjust.

Step 3: Go to the photo that you added and use that photo to access the photo tools menu. Select Crop Photo from that menu. This is a tool that is not there for videos so you will have to select it for the photo.

Step 4: You will see the photo and a crop box to adjust on the screen that comes up. In the address bar, you will see something like this:

http://nickname.smugmug.com/photos/tools.mg?ImageID=XXXXXXXX&ImageKey=XXXXX&Type=Album&tool=newthumb

Swap out the corresponding X's with the Image ID and Image Key. You'll then see the crop box on your video instead of the image. Just set that how you want it and save it and it will adjust the thumbnail for you. As far as I know, this is the only thumbnail adjust tool that will work for video.

Anyway, I'll make sure that this gets put in the right place so that our engineers are aware. I'm pretty close with the Bugman at SmugMug so I'm sure it'll get taken care of.
  • Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    I have a problem. Someone was viewing some of my galleries. They can see them fine:
    314624129_ZLfLR-M.jpg

When he clicks on any of them to view, he can not see any photos in the galleries.
    314624112_QRnLC-M.jpg

I am sure this is a problem on his end because nobody else seems to have the problem.

He says "I have tried this with IE, Netscape & Mozilla as well as on multiple different machines. I am hoping it's just a firewall deal."

Any suggestions on what I should ask or do next?
  • Options
    TPBinKCTPBinKC Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2008
    TPBinKC wrote:
    I have a problem. Someone was viewing some of my galleries. They can see them fine:

When he clicks on any of them to view, he can not see any photos in the galleries.

I am sure this is a problem on his end because nobody else seems to have the problem.

He says "I have tried this with IE, Netscape & Mozilla as well as on multiple different machines. I am hoping it's just a firewall deal."

Any suggestions on what I should ask or do next?

Apparently he can see them fine now. Wants to know how I fixed it...
  • Options
    blazerblazer Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 17, 2008
    Unacceptable
    I find it completely UNACCEPTABLE that this issue has yet to be addressed. This could save a ton of my time. This should of been fixed by now.

blazer wrote:
    When logged in and on a keyword page. (for instance I click on one of the "Top 200 Photo Keywords from the homepage). Clicking on 'Edit this Caption/Keywords' OR 'Edit Captions/Keywords (BULK)' under the keyword tools just goes to a blank page.

I am using the latest version of Firefox on Windows XP and I have a pro account.

Example For admin's. (Must be logged in to get the Keyword tools Drop Down menu.)
    http://blazerphoto.smugmug.com/keyword/military#275208597_CHsXp
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2008
    blazer wrote:
    I find it completely UNACCEPTABLE that this issue has yet to be addressed. This could save a ton of my time. This should of been fixed by now.

We're sorry that this has not been addressed yet. We've got your attention now. We're hoping to get it taken care of quickly. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.
  • Options
    rich56krich56k Registered Users Posts: 547 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2008
    strange new quirk - help!
    Just noticed this tonite - all my smugmug gradient grey galleries (98% of my site) are showing this weirdness: mouseover the right side pic in any gallery and instead of the 'drop-down that used to say "small medium large" now its a 'skinny' version with NO words!

http://rich56k.smugmug.com/gallery/3405727_XJMqa#190559287_kv2Lw

Even more baffling - and potentially troubling is when I'm logged and try: the drop down shows only "save photo" (!!!) which I never enable!!

This is in both safari and FireFox ( I don't use IE)

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    rich56k

Also just noticed when I go into something like "delete photos" or "move photos" they (the thumbnails) are no longer numbered !! this makes it much harder to utilize when in large galleries - when did this happen and how to change it back?
    http://HooliganUnderground.com
    Member: ASMP; EP; NPPA; CPS
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 21, 2008
    rich56k wrote:
    Even more baffling - and potentially troubling is when I'm logged and try: the drop down shows only "save photo" (!!!) which I never enable!!

Rich,

As the logged-in owner you will be able to download the original image without having to turn on Originals to do so.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    Rich,

As the logged-in owner you will be able to download the original image without having to turn on Originals to do so.

Cheers,

David

David,

Thanks for the info...:D

Is there somehow I can disable the drop down all together for viewers so they don't see the new empty "sliver" ??

rich
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    rich56k wrote:
    David,

Thanks for the info...:D

Is there somehow I can disable the drop down all together for viewers so they don't see the new empty "sliver" ??

rich

I can't talk for the other quirks you are seeing. We are in the process of testing a major new feature on the live site. Once that's done, I'm sure JT and some other will look at these issues.

Hang in there thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    I can't talk for the other quirks you are seeing. We are in the process of testing a major new feature on the live site. Once that's done, I'm sure JT and some other will look at these issues.

Hang in there thumb.gif

Got it !

Think I'll enable 'photo info' in the mean time so it doesn't look so 'empty/skinny' mwink.gif

Thanks David thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 21, 2008
    rich56k wrote:
    Got it !

Think I'll enable 'photo info' in the mean time so it doesn't look so 'empty/skinny' mwink.gif

Thanks David thumb.gif

yeah, it's weird...it was working fine for me
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
This discussion has been closed.