Options

SmugMug Bug Reporting Thread

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Oops, forget the attachment. It might show what I mean better.
    Notice photobar is frozen in out position also.
    That active area brings up lightbox.
    Firefox w2kp
    IE6 ok -- opp save icon not clickable
    Hi okay - got it ... I'll ask Sebastian to validate the "clickable area" thing.

The photoBar on bottom JS Variable - we sorta regret adding that, and it probably won't be enhanced to make formatting and such be perfect. I can't say whether or not we'll remove that Variable.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi okay - got it ... I'll ask Sebastian to validate the "clickable area" thing.

The photoBar on bottom JS Variable - we sorta regret adding that, and it probably won't be enhanced to make formatting and such be perfect. I can't say whether or not we'll remove that Variable.
    It's bugged.

Thx Allen for pointing that out. I think I've noticed the gap before, but didn't pay attention to it.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    It's bugged.

Thx Allen for pointing that out. I think I've noticed the gap before, but didn't pay attention to it.

Sebastian
    Thanks Sebastian, weird it's only in the video galleries.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    stats gone again
    ....this morning all my galleries are back to zero....even the individual galleries show zero. Am I the only one who wishes stats were more reliable? Seems like such a long-running problem now, wish more resources could be focused on it.

www.allensklar.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Fishead wrote:
    ....this morning all my galleries are back to zero....even the individual galleries show zero. Am I the only one who wishes stats were more reliable? Seems like such a long-running problem now, wish more resources could be focused on it.

www.allensklar.smugmug.com
    You're right, stats are currently not working and are shown as 0. I've made sure that our engineers are aware of it and they'll be looking into it as soon as possible.
    With launching our new photo sizes, the stats were back logged longer than we liked and I apologize for that. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Nitpicky
    I know this is very minor but since I found it, it may be bugging other compulsive grammarians too:

When you create a one-gallery ShareGroup, SmugMug says, "
    - 1 galleries"

Probably should just say, "- 1 gallery".

mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2008
    I know this is very minor but since I found it, it may be bugging other compulsive grammarians too:
    Oh, don't let Anne or Rogue see this. ;)
    Thanks for reporting it, I'll check on it later and will see to add it to our list.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    sstoynovsstoynov Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2008
    Pics being rotated when uploaded
    I realized recently that when i upload pics to my account at smugmug, some of the pics get automatically rotated, so i have to rotate them back using the online tool. Before I upload them I make sure all the pics are positioned fine and dont need rotation. Anyone else observerd that?
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    sstoynov wrote:
    I realized recently that when i upload pics to my account at smugmug, some of the pics get automatically rotated, so i have to rotate them back using the online tool. Before I upload them I make sure all the pics are positioned fine and dont need rotation. Anyone else observerd that?
    What software are you rotating them with before upload?
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    What software are you rotating them with before upload?
    I use the rotate tool in the context menu in windows explorer. If you mean whether they have been cached or not - this rotation function does not require "Apply" function. I just verified again the pics on my hard drive and they all look positioned fine. That rotation problem happened in the last two uploads which i did in this month.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    sstoynov wrote:
    Allen's question is very good. I assume that your camera automatically tags your photos with the EXIF orientation tag that contains in which orientation the photo has been taken. You can observe this when you view a photo in portrait orientation on your camera - it is most likely all ready rotated when you view it on your camera, but the camera doesn't physically rotate it, it does this live when you view the image. The original is still in landscape orientation.

When you now view the photo on your computer in a software that doesn't automatically displays it in portrait orientation and rotate it in that software, the EXIF orientation information will still be present and untouched. That's why when you upload the photo to SmugMug, we rotate it again.

Please check if there's an update for your software or maybe you're able to turn this automatic EXIF rotation function on in your software.

I hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    sstoynov wrote:
    I use the rotate tool in the context menu in windows explorer. If you mean whether they have been cached or not - this rotation function does not require "Apply" function. I just verified again the pics on my hard drive and they all look positioned fine. That rotation problem happened in the last two uploads which i did in this month.
    Ah, are you using Windows XP? It may not be aware of this functionality I've described in my last message. Could you view the photos in Irfanview for comparision? Irfanview supports the EXIF orientation function, but you have to turn it on in its settings.
    You can get it here: www.irfanview.com
    After you've turned the automatic EXIF orientation in Irfanviews settings, you should see the same results in Irfanview as you see on SmugMug.
    If you download the plugins as well, Irfanview will allow you in its image menu 'lossless JPG transformations'. There, you'll be able to reset the EXIF orientation tag for photos all ready rotated with your Windows Explorer, so they'll display fine in Irfanview and on SmugMug.

Which camera are you using? Maybe you're able to turn this automatic rotation functionality off if you're bothered by it.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    Ah, are you using Windows XP? It may not be aware of this functionality I've described in my last message. Could you view the photos in Irfanview for comparision? Irfanview supports the EXIF orientation function, but you have to turn it on in its settings.
    You can get it here: www.irfanview.com
    After you've turned the automatic EXIF orientation in Irfanviews settings, you should see the same results in Irfanview as you see on SmugMug.
    If you download the plugins as well, Irfanview will allow you in its image menu 'lossless JPG transformations'. There, you'll be able to reset the EXIF orientation tag for photos all ready rotated with your Windows Explorer, so they'll display fine in Irfanview and on SmugMug.

Which camera are you using? Maybe you're able to turn this automatic rotation functionality off if you're bothered by it.

Sebastian

I use Cannon SD800 IS. Maybe after consiodering what you are saying, after uploading the pics from the camera to my computer, I'd rather not touch them and transfer them to smugmug straight, so this way all orientaion should be ok. And eventually after uploading them to smugmug, i can play with the orientation, so i have them all fixed locally as well?

I'll check them with Infranview when i have a chance and will post.
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    sstoynov wrote:
    I use Cannon SD800 IS. Maybe after consiodering what you are saying, after uploading the pics from the camera to my computer, I'd rather not touch them and transfer them to smugmug straight, so this way all orientaion should be ok. And eventually after uploading them to smugmug, i can play with the orientation, so i have them all fixed locally as well?

I'll check them with Infranview when i have a chance and will post.
    Oh, yeah - this is possible too. That's actually the point of the auto rotation feature. You don't have to bother rotating them if you don't do any post processing on your computer. :)

Thanks for taking on the obvious solution that I forgot about concentrating on how to fix what wasn't actually broken.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    lunajenlunajen Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    trouble with my smumug site.
    Everytime I go into one gallery and then try to back using the links set before the gallery title, it has the wrong url list and it doesn't work.

Such as....

Jduffyphotography>Weddings>LindseyJo and Bryant

If I try clicking on either the Weddings link or the JDuffy link...it does nothing.

In the lower hand coner, when I move the cursor over the link, it has this url listed http://jduffyphotography.smumug.com

but it only works if there is written like this...

http://www.jduffyphotography.smugmug.com/

Can you explain this to me?

Update.....seems only to be causing these problems within IE6 and I have Firefox as well...no problems with that web browser.
    "Is that your way of saying I'm number one??":wink
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2008
    lunajen wrote:
    Everytime I go into one gallery and then try to back using the links set before the gallery title, it has the wrong url list and it doesn't work.

Such as....

Jduffyphotography>Weddings>LindseyJo and Bryant

If I try clicking on either the Weddings link or the JDuffy link...it does nothing.

In the lower hand coner, when I move the cursor over the link, it has this url listed http://jduffyphotography.smumug.com

Update.....seems only to be causing these problems within IE6 and I have Firefox as well...no problems with that web browser.

I don't know if you intended this or not, but:

http://jduffyphotography.smumug.com

is different than

http://jduffyphotography.smugmug.com

The latter one is a Smugmug site, the former one is smumug.com (note the missing "g") and that's what you have for the first link in your message here.

http://jduffyphotography.smugmug.com seems to work as expected for me in both IE and Firefox.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2008
    lunajen wrote:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. John has a point about the typo in your first address - it should be smugmug instead of smumug.

Looking at your code, I found some errors in your customizations. You had html code in your javascript section and even if it was technically, javascript code, it had been embedded within html tags with <javascript....>
    i've moved the code to your header section, along with the <div> code to activate your banner. This code doesn't belong in the <head> section, but in the header.
    Both of it, probably caused IE to break. Please try again and see if it's fixed for you.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    wheresboblwheresbobl Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2008
    Photo Share neurotic
    I was playing around with google pages and blogspot to see how the photo share would work for me. It worked fine the other day, now the photo only sometimes shows up. I can refresh the page and it goes away. Understand, this is not a google issue as if I copy and paste the link into the address in either Firefox or Explorer, it sometimes works, sometimes does not, even with a refresh. But, if I open "link in new tab" from the share page it has worked everytime, so far and does not go away with a refresh. BUT, if I do the same thing, cut and paste the link in the same window, the pic will show up but disapear on a refresh. It does not seem to correlate with whether I am logged in or not.

This link is one of the ones that sometimes works, sometimes does not. Sometimes if I hit refresh it disapears.
    http://lyskowski.smugmug.com/photos/248881580-M.jpg

The following links are some pages that are not working. These are just word doodles at the moment, just seeing how these work as I have always made my websites with HTML.

This one should have two bike pics. (one is in google, not smugmug)
    http://wheresbobl.blogspot.com/

This one should also have two bikes, and usually does, until I hit refresh.
    http://wheresbobl.googlepages.com/2009-08-ibr.html

The page of shared links.
    http://lyskowski.smugmug.com/gallery/share.mg?AlbumID=4250903&Page=1&ImageID=248881580
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2008
    wheresbobl wrote:
    I was playing around with google pages and blogspot to see how the photo share would work for me. It worked fine the other day, now the photo only sometimes shows up. I can refresh the page and it goes away. Understand, this is not a google issue as if I copy and paste the link into the address in either Firefox or Explorer, it sometimes works, sometimes does not, even with a refresh. But, if I open "link in new tab" from the share page it has worked everytime, so far and does not go away with a refresh. BUT, if I do the same thing, cut and paste the link in the same window, the pic will show up but disapear on a refresh. It does not seem to correlate with whether I am logged in or not.

This link is one of the ones that sometimes works, sometimes does not. Sometimes if I hit refresh it disapears.
    http://lyskowski.smugmug.com/photos/248881580-M.jpg

The following links are some pages that are not working. These are just word doodles at the moment, just seeing how these work as I have always made my websites with HTML.

This one should have two bike pics. (one is in google, not smugmug)
    http://wheresbobl.blogspot.com/

This one should also have two bikes, and usually does, until I hit refresh.
    http://wheresbobl.googlepages.com/2009-08-ibr.html

The page of shared links.
    http://lyskowski.smugmug.com/gallery/share.mg?AlbumID=4250903&Page=1&ImageID=248881580

Do you have external linking turned off in the gallery that contains the image? That's what it appears to me. This can cause intermittent behavior if you sometimes have the image in your cache from viewing regular Smugmug galleries and sometimes not or it expires from the cache.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    wheresboblwheresbobl Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2008
    Thanks
    I think that did it.

Thank you!!!
    jfriend wrote:
    Do you have external linking turned off in the gallery that contains the image? That's what it appears to me. This can cause intermittent behavior if you sometimes have the image in your cache from viewing regular Smugmug galleries and sometimes not or it expires from the cache. I can
  • Options
    jenweavernjjenweavernj Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Some things I've been meaning to mention
    Few things I've been jotting down to mention when I had time that I was wondering if anyone has brought up before as a bug:

1) When using the search by date feature--- galleries that are marked private show up. I like using the photos by date feature so people can see my latest works added to my smugmug site but I don't want people to see the photos in my private galleries.

2) I've turned off the right click save option but when you click "SHARE" and you get the selection of "sharing link" people are able to click the link and right click on the photo in that area. We are protected in our galleries from right clicking but not in the share area. Can we get that fixed so that they can not right click in share?
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Hi Jen wave.gif
    Few things I've been jotting down to mention when I had time that I was wondering if anyone has brought up before as a bug:

1) When using the search by date feature--- galleries that are marked private show up. I like using the photos by date feature so people can see my latest works added to my smugmug site but I don't want people to see the photos in my private galleries.
    Can you confirm that you are logged out of your account at that time? ear.gif
    2) I've turned off the right click save option but when you click "SHARE" and you get the selection of "sharing link" people are able to click the link and right click on the photo in that area. We are protected in our galleries from right clicking but not in the share area. Can we get that fixed so that they can not right click in share?
    That's by design, I guess, sorta; If you want to protect your images, you can't use share functions. Sharing and protecting are two opposite things, almost. It needs to be turned off. We can not protect your images outside of the SmugMug environment to begin with so if you can't get them from the share page, you can get them from the share-email.
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2008
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Jen wave.gif

Can you confirm that you are logged out of your account at that time? ear.gif

That's by design, I guess, sorta; If you want to protect your images, you can't use share functions. Sharing and protecting are two opposite things, almost. It needs to be turned off. We can not protect your images outside of the SmugMug environment to begin with so if you can't get them from the share page, you can get them from the share-email.

I feel like a big dummy! I thought I was logged out but I was logged in when I checked the photos by date feature! Silly me...sorry!! bowdown.gif They don't show when logged out. Thanks.

I never thought about the share feature that way before...in my mind I was thinking I was still in smugmug but you're right...you're in a way leaving the premesis of smugmug when you click the share link.

I leave it on because I want to be able to get the link to the pics for posting on forums and my blog but you're so right. I can turn it off so the rest of the world doesn't get to click it and get to my share links to "steal" my work. Once I do this though it makes it very hard for me to share a pic without that feature showing for me pesonally.

Is there any easy way for me to share the URL to a photo when the share feature is off besides having to turn the feature on and off all the time?

Thanks for your quick reply...I really appreicate it!
    Jen Rinaldi

Nikon D90 & D80 DSLR| Nikon 18-200mm VR | Nikon 70-300 VR |Nikon 105mm f/2.8 MICRO LENS | Nikon 50mm f/1.4 |Tokina 12-24 | Nikon SB800 | Minolta X700 SLR | Minolta 50mm | Minolta 35-105mm

The goal is not to change your subjects, but for the subject to change the photographer. ~Author Unknown
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,240 moderator
    edited February 9, 2008
    Is there any easy way for me to share the URL to a photo when the share feature is off besides having to turn the feature on and off all the time?
    Jen -
    I use the share button to grab URLs all of the time. I have it set to show when I'm logged in and to not show when I'm not logged in. Try this CSS:
    #altViews.nav,   
    .share_button
      {
        display: none;
    } 
    .loggedIn #altViews.nav,   
    .loggedIn .share_button
      {
        display: block;
    }

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 9, 2008
    Jen -
    I use the share button to grab URLs all of the time. I have it set to show when I'm logged in and to not show when I'm not logged in. Try this CSS:
    #altViews.nav,   
    .share_button
      {
    } 
    .loggedIn #altViews.nav,   
    .loggedIn .share_button
      {
    }

--- Denise
    15524779-Ti.gifclap.gif this is an awesome way to do it thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 10, 2008
    Jen -
    #altViews.nav,   
    .share_button
      {
    } 
    .loggedIn #altViews.nav,   
    .loggedIn .share_button
      {
    }

--- Denise

Denise, you are a life saver! Thank you so so so much for this awesome fix! I love it and it seems to have worked pefectly for me! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Jen Rinaldi

• Options
    Quzol1Quzol1 Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2008
    Hide Photo button
    I just ran into a problem with the "hide photo" button. By mistake I had checked it and didn't notice. 11doh.gif So when posting in the fourms, I could see the photo, but no one else could. I had to log out and flush cookies to see what was going on. Could you make that check box more obvious? Maybe a check that also give a large indicator of some sort (colored)?
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    "Map this" b0rked
    None of my photos load in the map page.

Also the ones in red don't load any thumbs.

popular maps

* rated in silicon valley
    * two wheels to terror
    * dgrin's world tour
    * eye on NYC
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    None of my photos load in the map page.

Also the ones in red don't load any thumbs.

popular maps

* rated in silicon valley
    * two wheels to terror
    * dgrin's world tour
    * eye on NYC
    Yes, these are bugged on our internal system - thanks. Working on it....
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2008
    EXT links/PICs bug?
    Getting a red x on an ext site when trying to display an image that is public and has ext links on (yes). Has the generic coding we can use changed? I'm still using the following:
    http://www.smugmug.com/photos/xxxx-L.jpg

update: here's the post in question at the ext site: http://forum.mflenses.com/white-green-tan-t5365.html

Thanks...
This discussion has been closed.