Options

> The Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges - General Discussion

Comments

• Options
    SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    Jenn:

Reading the manual will give you some insight, but what works even better is trying different things. Play around. Take quite a few shots of the same image, but change the settings and lighting around as you go. Take 100 shots if you must. Then load them on your computer and go through them. You'll be able to see what worked and what didn't. When you find the one that looks the best, work with that one.

Do you have an external flash?
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    I think there's a grave danger of overthinking all of this, at which point all the fun is squeezed out of it and it's hard to know what to do. So my advice is....

Go out. Take pictures. Have fun doing it. Look at other people's work. Have fun doing it. Read the manual and try things you haven't before. Have fun doing it. Post shots for feedback. Use every photographic assignment you undertake as a chance to expand your skillset. Oh, and... have fun doing it (do I sound like a broken record yet?!). Ultimately, that's the REAL prize in doing the challenges - the enjoyment of the process, the knowledge and skills gained.... as well as friends made, and wonderful sharing of ideas that benefits the entire community. Anything else (ie "winning") is icing on the cake..... or chocolate chips in the ice cream, if you prefer :D
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    ... So my advice is....

Nice way to sum it up! My favorite part is "have fun doing it"
    Now why didn't I think of that? mwink.gif
  • Options
    JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited June 17, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Jenn:

Do you have an external flash?

Nope ... I have a flash light tho. lol
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2010
    divamum wrote: »
    I think there's a grave danger of overthinking all of this, at which point all the fun is squeezed out of it and it's hard to know what to do. So my advice is....

Go out. Take pictures. Have fun doing it. Look at other people's work. Have fun doing it. Read the manual and try things you haven't before. Have fun doing it. Post shots for feedback. Use every photographic assignment you undertake as a chance to expand your skillset. Oh, and... have fun doing it (do I sound like a broken record yet?!). Ultimately, that's the REAL prize in doing the challenges - the enjoyment of the process, the knowledge and skills gained.... as well as friends made, and wonderful sharing of ideas that benefits the entire community. Anything else (ie "winning") is icing on the cake..... or chocolate chips in the ice cream, if you prefer :D

For me, (and maybe AndMan can identify with what I'm going to say...) when I get the assignment right... that's when it gets fun. If I can't do that the frustration just sets in. headscratch.gif

Can't ya'll just tell me what to do, how to set my camera to achieve it so I know how to get from point A to point B? ....(pauses)

Well... it was worth a try to ask.. wasn't it? :ivar
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    Ha - it doesn't quite work that way. Anyone could give you a setting, but if your conditions are not right for that setting, it will be off. You just have to practice and find what works best.

What do you consider "getting the assignment right"? If you are happy with your end result, then it is right.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    SeascapeS wrote: »
    Ha - it doesn't quite work that way. Anyone could give you a setting, but if your conditions are not right for that setting, it will be off. You just have to practice and find what works best.

What do you consider "getting the assignment right"? If you are happy with your end result, then it is right.

What I like, no one else seems to like. I'm more of a graphic artist and photography is just a hobby. When a picture doesn't come out right, I fix it and add effects to it until I see something artistic that I like. I'm guessing that most of ya'll don't like that sort of graphics?
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2010
    Jenn wrote: »
    Nope ... I have a flash light tho. lol

I have gotten some interesting effects with flashlights. You might also consider candlelight.
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2010
    WhatSheSaw wrote: »
    I have gotten some interesting effects with flashlights. You might also consider candlelight.
    I think I'm giving up. I don't have the lighting you guys want to see, and I just cut my leg trying to position myself to take a photo of these silly paper flowers.eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    JR303JR303 Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    !!
    I have been trying to figure out how to add exif info under the file (have seen others do it), and have exif saved in a text doc, but can't figure out how.

Any help?

Please?

Thank You,
    John
  • Options
    VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2010
    John,

Check this thread... http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1363209&postcount=609

and this... http://wiki.smugmug.net/display/SmugMug/How+To+See+Exif

that should explain everything for you... :D

Winston
    JR303 wrote: »
    I have been trying to figure out how to add exif info under the file (have seen others do it), and have exif saved in a text doc, but can't figure out how.

Any help?

Please?

Thank You,
    John
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    Once again.. I'm just not good at this not measuring up stuff. Didn't make the cut.. not even a favorite of anyone.. and at this rate I probably never will be .. I'm totally outclassed by professionals who have better equipment, studios, and even people to model for them.. (NO FAIR, I say!) eek7.gif What about us regular people who just have a digital camera with a few minor bells and whistles..? HUH HUH? :patch We don't stand a chance next to all of these photogs who have the big advantage over us little people in the photography world. {{mumbles}} It's so frustrating to try and re-try and edit (and injure onesself trying to get that perfect angle).. and get a 'you've improved' and a "good job!" AND STILL NOT make the cut.... {{mumbles some more :patch}}

Ok .. whens the next challenge? (Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment!! mwink.gifnod.gif :crazy)
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    Once again.. I'm just not good at this not measuring up stuff. Didn't make the cut.. not even a favorite of anyone.. and at this rate I probably never will be .. I'm totally outclassed by professionals who have better equipment, studios, and even people to model for them.. (NO FAIR, I say!) eek7.gif What about us regular people who just have a digital camera with a few minor bells and whistles..? HUH HUH? :patch We don't stand a chance next to all of these photogs who have the big advantage over us little people in the photography world. {{mumbles}} It's so frustrating to try and re-try and edit (and injure onesself trying to get that perfect angle).. and get a 'you've improved' and a "good job!" AND STILL NOT make the cut.... {{mumbles some more :patch}}

Ok .. whens the next challenge? (Maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment!! mwink.gifnod.gif :crazy)

One of the images that made the cut was taken with a Kodak Z712. I bought one of those cameras about 6 years ago, and it was not top-of-the-line back then. :shrug EDIT: oops, I must have a different model, as the Z712 came out a few years after I bought mine. Still, the Z712 isn't exactly new...

Oh, it's definitely more fun to have nicer equipment, but you'd be amazed at what can happen with a point and shoot, a gooseneck lamp, some foamcore, and some black felt. (for example) thumb.gif

PS: you actually got some very nice feedback in the gallery!
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    Re: DSS #54 Unofficial Feedback Thread (Visual Cliché)
    My entry into the recent megachallenge was taken with my phone! I didn't win, but I loved the image.

Its always refreshing to me to hear of big name photographers shooting really simply with basic gear. Its really not about the gear!

LiflanderPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    MarkR wrote: »
    Oh, it's definitely more fun to have nicer equipment, but you'd be amazed at what can happen with a point and shoot, a gooseneck lamp, some foamcore, and some black felt. (for example) thumb.gif
    hey.. that's still more equipment than I can come up with even tho my husband is a huge pack rat. One would think I'd find something I could use in all of his collection of junk.. but no satisfaction there. headscratch.gif All I had was a black robe, a round jar, and some swiped pennies off my sons bedside table. :D
    MarkR wrote: »
    PS: you actually got some very nice feedback in the gallery!
    I'll have to go look ... my problem is that everyone says something different about what makes a good photo, so I think I'm doing it right according to the feedback ... but it still doesn't measure up. One person didn't like one image cuz it was a bit grainy, and another fellow liked it despite it being a bit grainy. I have to admit each time I do this and don't get past "go" I get very disappointed and want to quit trying.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010

I'm glad you're going to stick with it. thumb.gif I have been frustrated on occasion when I didn't make the cut. But then I went back and looked at the top finishers and realized I had a ways to go. Keep working at it.
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010

Jenn.... I have a point and shoot Kodak, an old one at that. It has taken over 10, 000 photos and is wearing out fast, but it is what I have and I make do with it. The camera does not matter, the equipment does not matter. It is learning to use them to the best they can be. That comes from taking picture after picture after picture until it looks the way YOU think it should look. I don't have photoshop. I use Picasa and Gimp, both free downloads. I asked questions and learned and didn't get into the voting round for at least 6 months after I started on here. My point is not to win, though sure, it would be nice. Getting to the voting round this time after not being on here much in months was a win for me. The real point is to learn something new, take a photo of something I might not have thought to do. Most of all it is to have fun with some great people I have met on here.
    I hope you don't give up and I hope you can learn that it is nothing personal to you. Everyone here is more than willing to help you learn as long as you are willing to let them help.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    lkbart wrote: »
    ... haven't commented for a very similar reason - I can't always say what might be technically wrong or skewed with a photo, but can tell it's just not quite right, so many times it's hard to give good C&C.

i highly recommend commenting as an exercise. It has really helped me to improve my own work and develop an eye for the nits that prevent a good photo from being a great one.

I may sometimes be off the mark or be able to say only that something is off. Making the attempt to articulate it will result in improvement in the ability to do so.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    dnie wrote: »
    ...It has taken over 10, 000 photos ...

Slacker! :D
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    I'm glad you're going to stick with it. thumb.gif I have been frustrated on occasion when I didn't make the cut. But then I went back and looked at the top finishers and realized I had a ways to go. Keep working at it.

the next challenge should be "disappointment" ... I'm getting good at that topic. I'm really not good with watching everyone else succeed while I fail.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    hey.. that's still more equipment than I can come up with even tho my husband is a huge pack rat. One would think I'd find something I could use in all of his collection of junk.. but no satisfaction there. headscratch.gif All I had was a black robe, a round jar, and some swiped pennies off my sons bedside table. :D

I'll have to go look ... my problem is that everyone says something different about what makes a good photo, so I think I'm doing it right according to the feedback ... but it still doesn't measure up. One person didn't like one image cuz it was a bit grainy, and another fellow liked it despite it being a bit grainy. I have to admit each time I do this and don't get past "go" I get very disappointed and want to quit trying.

Everyone does say something different. Get a dozen photographers in a room and they'll argue about the color of the sky (literally!). You just have to learn to filter the talk, seperate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak, and build on it.

Concentrate on getting one person excited (and by excited I mean ecstatic) about your next picture, just one. You won't win the contest, but what an awesome feeling when someone connects with your message. Then figure out how to get your message communicated to everyone else.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    Slacker! :D

Laughing.gif, I know! I think I need to find a way to buy the new Kodak and start all over. :D (I wish!)...I have 3 photos in a gallery show this month... maybe if they sell...
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    the next challenge should be "disappointment" ... I'm getting good at that topic. I'm really not good with watching everyone else succeed while I fail.

whew... that would be a hard one!
    Don't give Sean any ideas :uhoh
    :D
  • Options
    liflanderliflander Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    Hey Jenn,
    Please stick with it!
    What got you interested in photography? If you're like me, its the inspirational work of other photographers that I saw. To this day, I still aspire to make photographs as incredible as the work of so many others that I admire.
    When I'm feeling like a not-so-great photographer, I like to look at others' work to remind me of what I might be able to achieve some day, and that totally inspires me to keep going.
    I think its like playing a musical instrument. I'm such a frustrated musician. Can't seem to play any instrument. But I shouldn't expect to be able to play because I don't practice regularly. You gotta practice regularly to be good at any instrument, right? The camera is no different. Keep practicing!
    Cheers,
    Mark
  • Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010

I'll echo everyone else's sentiments and say 'please just stick with it' and add 'be patient.' It was over a year (maybe even 2) before I ever made the voting round and even then it didn't get but a vote or two. I keep trying even though I don't always have time for an entry (like this week--work & weather interfered one week and now we're travelling with limited computer access). You never know what the judges will like or dislike. Judging is very hard. I did it once and it was AGONIZING!!! Just because your photo did not make the top ten doesn't mean that it wasn't a good photo. Sometimes it just come down to personal preference of the judge.

The best thing to remember is to go out and have fun! Work with the theme, take a bunch of shots, post a few for critique, and go from there. Once you have the photo to the point where it pleases you and is the best you can do with it, enter it and then forget about the challenge part!! The goals should always be to have fun, learn something, and improve your photography and/or post editing skills. If you achieve that, you win whether the judge chooses your shot or not!! Please yourself first.

It IS disappointing to work hard and not make the cut. I know, because that is usually MY story. :D If I'm honest with myself, I can usually see that the chosen shots were better than my own and that lots of other great photos didn't make the cut either. It motivates me to try to do better next time. Don't let it get you down because that takes the fun out of it.

Good luck!

Sherry
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    We should have a Point-n-Shoot or, better yet, a Camera phone contest!
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2010
    Jenn, I totally agree with Sherry! I didn't make the cut, either, but when I look at all the entries, I can see that mine didn't have that "wow" factor. When you look at the photos that were selected, you will see that they all have something special going for them: they were taken from an unusual angle or maybe extremely close-up, various elements were put together in a creative way, the light was incredible, the idea was shocking, the story was amusing--there's always something that makes you look at the photo and think "WOW", and makes you want to linger on that photo. Mine didn't have it. Jenn, yours didn't have it. We need to read the comments, take the feedback for what its worth, and KEEP ON TRYING. Go have fun with your camera, and try to find something that will set your next photo apart in its uniqueness.
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    liflander wrote: »
    Its really not about the gear!
    I totally agree here. In fact I did a shoot last night with my iPhone and found it both fun and refreshing.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    dnie wrote: »
    Don't give Sean any ideas :uhoh
    :D

Too late wave.gifcavig
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2010
    Jenn - ha - sometimes injury or risk of goes along with it. I've had some seniors want their pictures taken on top of a very high pile of rocks or down a cascading stream of rocks. They wanted and were willing to do it, so I climbed right up or down the slippery slopes with them. If you want the shot, you do what it takes to get it.

Last winter, I was trying to get a shot of steam coming from an exhaust. Why? I don't know, the mood possessed me. To get it, I had to walk down a very icy alley. I slipped and fell flat on my back. Also cracked my camera on the ground. I sat up and noticed I was right next to the steam, so I sat there and got the picture. My friend thought I was hurt and couldn't get up because I just sat there, but no, while I was near it, I took advantage of the moment. Was it worth it? Heck no, it wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be. I did get a shot of the outline of my body on the ice after I got back up the hill. That was much more exciting.
    SandiZ