Options

de-lurk yourselves

Comments

• Options
    entropysedgeentropysedge Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Hi, Louise St.Romain here... someone over on SVRider.com suggested that I come over here (and SmugMug) after I had been grumping about how much of a pain my own website had been in regards to photos ... I had built the site myself and have really outgrown it.
    I've been shooting digital for about 4 years now, moving from a Fuji A210 point and shoot to a Fuji S20Pro to now a Fuji S5Pro which is my first dSLR. I don't know alot in regards to being able to take advantage of the S5 capabilities so I'm hoping that I'll pick up a bit :D I currently have a AF-SVR Nikkor ED 24-120mm and a Sigma DC 18-50mm EX Macro for the S5 however I would like to maybe look into getting a nice telephoto at some point.
    Currently I've been doing some portrait work as well as photographing a couple of local businesses for advertising use. I also go off on one of my motorcycles and just shoot whatever takes my fancy thumb.gif , I always have a camera with me since you never know what you may find. :D
  • Options
    Twisted_WhispersTwisted_Whispers Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 25, 2007
    Greetings.
    I still consider myself a relative n00b to photography. I have some training and experience due to working on a base newspaper while in the military. I've always shot digital (as I can't load film to save my life). I started in training using a Nikon D1x. At my first base I moved to a Fuji somithing...we didn't have it long, then to a Nikon D70. After seperating, I got a Nikon D50.
    I tend to do a lot of spontanious potratis and landscapes or pets. I don't really have a specific area I'm attracted to, just a general style. I like to take photos all the time, and love to have a gothic/macabre/dark/horror/fetish flair. Though that only seems to come out in my digital art and not my photography, I'm still learning and trying to find a style that works best for me to get the result I want.
    I'm getting ready to (finally) start college in a couple of months (almost exactly two actually). Not sure what my major will be...photography or communications, maybe both as a dual major. I'm a freshman (yes, at 24 years old, I will only be a freshman...) so I've got time to decide.
  • Options
    S. HortonS. Horton Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    De-lurking appears to require a baseball shot. ne_nau.gif So, here goes!
    149339729-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    vetkrazyvetkrazy Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    Okay so I guess it's time to come out of the lurking closet. I am semi retired now, but have over 40 years of experience in making mistakes. I still provide photo's for the local college and that and my cars keep out of too much trouble. Any way here are a couple from this spring.

BRJ_9404.jpgBRJ_7710-01.jpg
    Fast Cars : Fast Glass : and an understanding wife

www.vetkrazy.exposuremanager.com
  • Options
    MrsCueMrsCue Registered Users Posts: 412 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    WOW! Some awesome shots here!

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking for a few days and thought it was time to come and say hi.
    Not much to say about myself really, except that I have 8 children and I love photography. Natural light Portraiture especially.

Although, I am new here, there is at least one member here that knows me. He just got a semi finalist in the LPS, and blew his own horn about it, so that's why I'm here.
    Good on ya Aaron and good luck in the next round! thumb.gif

I MIGHT come up with something to join in with the next challenge :D

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, 50mm 1.8 MKII prime lens, 17-40mm f/4 L lens, 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS lens, 430 EX speedlite, Tungsten Continuous studio light, Pocket Wizards, Gary Fong Lightsphere, Stofen Omni bounce diffuser, 5in1 reflector

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited June 28, 2007
    Here goes...

The name is Jake, since it wasn't obvious. :andy

I've just been shooting for a couple years, but I've already been lucky enough to find myself having been published,
    having won some local contests, and having co-founded a growing wedding and portrait business.

I'm not gonna lie, the big contest is what drew me to the site.
    But, I'll stick around to hopefully learn a lot and maybe help out some.

My two sites are in my sig if anyone is intersted.

:D
  • Options
    Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2007
    Another Noob De-lurking
    Hello all, I'm Jeff. I have been taking pictures for as long as I can remember, up until about 4 years ago as an advanced hobbiest, until one faitful day I was taking pictures of my daughter at her first horse show (she was 4) and a women me if I was a pro and could I take pictures of her kids in the rink. Explained to her that I was not a pro but would be happy to take some pictures for her, long story short she loved them, I started getting phone call after phone call from word of mouth, and before I knew it "Forever and a Day Photography" was born. I still don't consider myself a pro, as i still have a day job, but just someone who loves to take pictures and never stop learning about this fine art.

I had spent the first 35 years of my life on the on the east coast until that pesky day job asked me to relocate to the left coast about 10 months ago, and every day since I have been wondering why I had not done this years ago. So many beautiful things to point a lens at out here. I look forward to learning from all of the great Photographers here and hopefully contributing some too.

In keeping with Baseball theme, here is a Baseball card I created for my day job softball team, the name has been blurred to protect the innocent.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • Options
    ABCapturesABCaptures Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2007
    im delurking
    Ive been reading here for quite sometime, seeing your photos made me very intimidated to post my own as they arent as developed and skilled as the rest of you here.. how ever i would like to someday have my own studio and start building a web based portfolio so i need all the help i can get.

My name is Ashley, I live in sunny south florida, USA with my fiance of 5yrs and two sons Elliott (3) and Ethan (15mos) I love taking photos of wildlife best, followed closely by my family and other people ;) I received my second Canon at Christmas 06' I had a 35mm Canon Rebel that was broken well over two years ago and couldnt get it fixed (couldnt find anyone to do it, the Ritz guys wouldnt even touch it) so I found myself purchasing a Canon Rebel XTi which I love so far. I just recently got a 75-300mm lens and am learning how to use it properly. Ive had a 18-55mm but found myself really needing to move forward with a bigger lens to do the work Ive always dreamed of. I look forward to learning more here.. My most recent favorite photo is a few I took of the blue moon this last weekend. Some of my work can be seen at my temp website through flickr, in my signature.
    Hi, I'm Ashley
    *Love every creature*
    Gear: Canon Rebel XTi 18-55mm & 75-300mm

• Options
    mattmacfmattmacf Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2007
    Been checking out the dgrin fora for a bit now, finally decided to de-lurk myself. The name's Matt, and I'm a 20something student from New Jersey. Took my first photo class over the summer using some of my dad's gear and I think I'm pretty well hooked.

There's a whole lot of really good stuff from what I've seen, I can only hope some of it is contagious :D
    Matt =)

Canon 20D | 17-55/2.8 IS | 28/1.8 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | 24-70/2.8L | 24-105/4L IS | 580EX | 540EZ(x2) | Sigma 12-24/4.5-5.6
  • Options
    DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    New here. I am using a D70s or D70. I thought I had broken the D70 went out and got a 70s. Turns out the D70 was covered under the current advisory (http://www.nikondigital.com/main.html click "Additional Service Advisories"). Now I have two camera bodies.

Most of my public shots are of cars, but I take the normal "daddy" set of family pictures. Recently - and also the cause for my lurking - I have been asked to take pictures at a wedding. A very good friend has a daughter getting married. I will not be the only photographer - but they are not going out for a pro. I have a SB800 flash, the kit 18-70 Nikor, and a 70-300 Tamron (not the fast one), 3 each 1 gig and one 2 gig memory cards. I shoot using jpg large (I know that RAW is better - but only in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing).
    some pics (more to learn how to post, not because they are that noteworthy):

From the 2003 (first) MINI gathering in NC/TN
    128425191-M.jpg

Autocrossing:
    128497687-S.jpg
    Nephew:
    138411105-S.jpg

Family in sports:
    127478859-S.jpg

I like playing with slow speeds and the flash.
  • Options
    DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2007
    trying to delurk...
    this time no pictures.
    edit:::::
    I see that my fist try got in, even though I got a message it was not allowed.
  • Options
    fiatsurffiatsurf Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2007
    Hi. De-lurking
    New to dgrin/smugmug. Surf photos, etc. at my site: fiatsurf.com

Cheers,

Toby
  • Options
    ob_3ob_3 Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 19, 2007
    Hello All ~
    I just took delivery of a Nikon d50 and a Nikkor 18-70 lens. I have been into photography for about 20 years now, film slr and digital p&s, so this is my first venture into dslr photography.
    I am looking forward to getting used to the camera starting this weekend.

Great site by the way.... I look forward to logging on each day !

regards

tom
    -say cheese !

Nikon d200w/ grip, 18-70 Nikkor , 85mm 1.8 , 50mm 1.8, tokina 12-24
    Nikon n80 w/grip, 28-200 Tamron
    Fuji z6900
    old school Olympus OMG-1
    Sony DSC-H3 point and shoot
  • Options
    Tu13esTu13es Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 28, 2007
    Hi all.

I bought my first _real_ camera a few weeks ago - a Nikon D40 with the kit lens. Been having lots of fun learning the camera, some techniques for taking and touching up photos, etc.

:)
  • Options
    kisikisi Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    hey everyone, finally de-lurking myself. i'm a hobby photographer and i've been serious about photography for a few years now. i am also recently engaged, so i'm really interested in looking at the myriad wedding photos and photographers that are around (even though i've already hired one, heh). i dont have many photos up on my smugmug since i'm still sort of replenishing my photo stores from a hard drive crash a while back (and now i am OBSESSIVE about backups!!) but here are a couple recent ones.

174626935-S.jpg

180855323-S.jpg

ps. the selection of smilies is reeeeally intimidating :):
    Kimberly Salem Photography
    food, portraits and weddings :D
  • Options
    kisikisi Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited August 20, 2007
    oh... i just realized this is in the sports section of the forum.
    in that case: rugby!

172097949-S.jpg
    Kimberly Salem Photography
    food, portraits and weddings :D
  • Options
    gregkendallballgregkendallball Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    De-Lurking
    Actually, this is my second post in about 5 minutes, so I don't know if I still count as a lurker. I've heard about DGrin for some time, but only now got around to joining.

You can see my photoblog at: kendallball.com
    Or my Flickr stream at: GKB's Flickr

Peace,
    GKB
    KendallBall.com

Canon 40D
    Canon 30D
    Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS
    Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L
    Canon EF 50mm 1.4
    Canon 580EX II
  • Options
    GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2007
    Continually frustrated with my shoddy photography, and consistently outclassed at ADVrider, I come here in search of knowledge. Knowledge of cameras, and focal lengths, apertures, ISO, and all that other photographical stuff... headscratch.gif

My dodgy photos are all at grainbelt.smugmug.com. The majority of them are visual reminders of places I've been as I've traveled on my motorcycle -- problem being, they don't always look like what I saw when I was there. Here's a (washed out by excessive light) representation of central Saskatchewan.

99038403-M.jpg
  • Options
    jtfrazerjtfrazer Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    De-lurking
    Hi All,

I'm enjoying setting up my smugmug site. I got interested in photography over 40 years ago and wanted to be a professional at that time. Family obligations prevented that, but now my family is grown and I'm retired. Smugmug is giving me the opportunity to display (and hopefully sell) my photographs.

It's great to be here! You can find me at http://jfrazer.smugmug.com. The site is early in its construction phase but I'm working on improving it.
    Jim Frazer
    http://www.neo-photography.com
    Olympus E-5
  • Options
    Katie BethKatie Beth Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    de-lurked
    Hi, I delurked a week or so ago. :ivar I've had my Smugmug account for over a month and love it and I'd been lurking more and more in this forum. I've been taking pics all my life but really began to get serious about learning technique when I bought my first DSLR this spring and began taking pics of our aquatic team for a fundraiser. There are some great people here...a few are just way over my head though in the way they look at pics. I like to tell a story but sometimes I just take pics of things because I think they're pretty! :D Anyway, I'm really enjoying the forum!

20070707-0286-1.jpg
    Katie
  • Options
    CheriegCherieg Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    Hi this is my first post. New to photography but ready and willing to learn!
  • Options
    HVMedicHVMedic Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited September 16, 2007
    De-lurking
    I'm a big fan of this site and Smugmug as well. I recently stepped up to a Nikon 70s and really enjoy taking pictures for the fun of it.
    This is one of a couple I shot this morning.
  • Options
    tjl1388tjl1388 Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    This is such an addicting site. I really love it.
  • Options
    snaptie2002snaptie2002 Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    Dang, 36 pages of lurkers..........maybe I'm not paranoid after all:D

Well here I come out of the bushes..........I started shooting with a polaroid when they were considered cutting edge technology. My eyes were open to new possibilties when a friend loaned me a plastic 35mm that they used to give away when you subcribed to Time Magazine. Not long after that I bought a Nikon FG at the outrageous price of nearly three hundred dollars.

That satisfied me for a while and then making a living and birthin' babies (well I was the daddy) took center stage for many years and I just took progress photos at work.

Then here comes digital. Started all over with a fuji point and shoot packing a mind boggling 3 mega pixels!

Well, to make a long story just a little longer.......it has snowballed from there. We now have a small business consisiting of myself, my wife and my 13 year old son.

Business is good and we are having a blast.

You can see some of our stuff at www.binghamfreelance.com

Thanks,
    Marty
  • Options
    scottcolbathscottcolbath Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    Well, I would have been here a long time ago, had I known about this place. I just saw a post by VelvetRide over on the Adv board about dgrin, so I signed up.

Anyway, here's a pic for you, taken with my Canon 30D.
    196299716-L.jpg

(Edit.....Wrong pic at first)
    S.C.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited September 22, 2007
    Welcome n00bs!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    XTi GuyXTi Guy Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 23, 2007
    Another noob here.Have been dabbleing in photgraphy for some time now but am really starting to get the bug after going digital about a year ago.Found this site not long ago and figured I`d better say HI.Between work(non-photo related) and my daughter playing high school volleyball and softball I will try to get some images posted up.Until then I`ll just be lurkin.
  • Options
    steplimsteplim Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2007
    Introduction
    Hi

I am new to Smugmug and this Digrin.rolleyes1.gif
    I like nature and love to capture beautiful landscape, macro and people shots. Will try to post some shots in couple of days.
    Best Regards
    Stephen

http://steplimnature.blogspot.com/
    http://steplim.smugmug.com
    A Nature Lover :lust
  • Options
    jcranejcrane Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited September 29, 2007
    beginner grin
    Hello, World! clap.gif In joining smugmug and DG I hope to develop my photography skills--that means y'all are going to have to critique my work some time or other. Looking forward to meeting everyone and seeing all your fine work. Thanks for the forum to do it in!

I'm first on the 37th page, cool!
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2007
    Hello from Vegas
    Hello world!

I haven't been here lurking long, but it's already time to de-lurk. So, a little about me I guess.

Was really big into photography back in the 90s and worked on my college newspaper as a sports and current events photog (won some prizes too!). Got distracted by life (work) and then my camera walked away. Fell out of the photo game for a while.

I'm back now! Actually have been busy taking pictures with digital cameras for years, but just recently finally picked up my first dSlr. Very excited about it and all the forgotten things are coming back to me.

Been looking for a good photo community - this one looks great. I've also been looking for a clean site for hosting pictures and smugmug is just awesome!

Anyway, I babbled here. My smugmug page is the same username as my forum name here - not a lot up there yet, but more will come.

Lisa

:photo
    ~ Lisa