Options

de-lurk yourselves

Comments

• Options
    krisbphotokrisbphoto Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited December 8, 2006
    I'm new to the forum, and I just got my SmugMug site up as well!

krisbphoto.smugmug.com
    I'm always open to C&C and other's post processing of my images.

Lincoln Memorial Circle, Washington, DC

115278029-L.jpg

Duck on the National Mall pond
    115280654-L.jpg
    Chris Brinlee, Jr.
    1st Year SCAD Student
    Canon 20D w/ BG-E2
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8

Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    580EX Speedlite
    (2) AB800

KrisB Photography
  • Options
    shoelessshoeless Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 1, 2007
    Happy new year all!

I received a Canon 30D for Christmas and happened upon this site while looking for ways to get started. Nice site; I think it will be a great tool for my new hobby in this new year.

Thanks to all the contributors here, I hope to de-mystify as I de-lurk! thumb.gif
  • Options
    simple4funsimple4fun Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 2, 2007
    newbie.
    I was directed to this site. I am an amateur. Trying to figure out what this site is about. I can't seem to acess it properly.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    simple4fun wrote:
    I was directed to this site. I am an amateur. Trying to figure out what this site is about. I can't seem to acess it properly.

G'day all newbie...simple4fun what is it that you are having difficulty with re: access ?
  • Options
    HannyHanny Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Probably too late for this, but since I'm new here, I'll have a go at it.

Here's one I think I'll call "Nice Try."

121232147-L-1.jpg

Whaddya think?
  • Options
    tagcavertagcaver Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited January 16, 2007
    Delurking Myself
    Hello! I just registered for Digital Grin in the past hour. I just opened my smugmug account over the holidays.

I'm just an amateur photographer. Over the years I've gradually improved my cameras from point and shoot, to 35 mm prosumer, then a Canon G1, and now a Canon E350 XT. I've started to order lenses for the camera, but so far cannot afford the ultimate "L" lens.

I was a long time caver so lots of my older photos are shot in caves. With no light but a flash these photos are difficult to make but worth the effort. Unfortanately, all of those photos are on 35mm slides and film so I'm having to scan them in, touch them up with Paintshop Pro, then upload them to smugmug. That takes time.

Nowadays I mostly run. I ran a marathon last month. I'm running a 50K trail run in mountains the last weekend this month. I work at NASA. I have a wife and 3 kids.

Tom
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    Welcome delurkers! There's plenty of room, so start postin' pic's! thumb.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    Capt.AnthonyCapt.Anthony Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 17, 2007
    Delurking
    I have had my site up for awhile but am now here to Delurk myself and start the Dgrin experience, I have found this site to be of great help.

Anthony
  • Options
    JimbojackJimbojack Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    Hello Everyone. I found out about this site from another forum, lurked around for a while and finaly registered recently. I'm looking forward to becoming a part of this community. thumb.gif
    Phillip

Just back from Europe, Eastern Turkey, Iraq and Iran, new photos coming soon!
    Over 100 Countries, thousands of pictures, one Website (being redesigned at the moment)
    www.Jimbojack.com
  • Options
    videowhiterabbitvideowhiterabbit Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 17, 2007
    My first posting
    Image title: Red Barn
    Afternoon light (5:33pm)
    White Balance set at location.
    Date taken September 24, 2006
    Midwest location
    No editing of this image was performed other than what was provided by nature, herself.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited January 19, 2007
    John™ wrote:
    I took you seriously over on ADVRider and figured I'd drop by.

Here's my submission. Too bad I didn't get the sun over the hand on the statue instead of under it, but I couldn't see!

HIya Johnny!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    allensfotoallensfoto Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 19, 2007
    De-lurk second time
    I guess need to de-lurk a second time because my first login got mesed up,and basicly my old one dissappered.. ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif . had us all stumped for a while.. so i just registered again .
    Thanks to all for letting me back in .. It's releaving to know i wasn't blacked listed or something ..
    so hello to all again from Allensfoto FKA allensphoto...
    Curtis
    Failure is not an option for me,
    So i just keep pressing the shutter and trying again.
    http://allensfoto.net
    :gun2
  • Options
    EddieEddie Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 20, 2007
    Hi
    Trawling the web I came across the Big Grin and eventually registered. This is my first post.
    I live in Cornwall, England and have done various photographic jobs over the years including weddings, schools, portraits. Apart from the occasional job for friends, I photograph what pleases me most, and that is the landscape around me, wherever I happen to be.
    I look with envy at some of the beautiful scenes of the USA and admire the imagination and creativity of the photographers
    I hope to be popping up now and then to give my opinions an airing and put something back into this community that has taught this old dog a few new tricks. I attach one of my favourite pics. I had to pitch my tripod legs among the guy ropes of a tent pitched on the shores of Loch Ness. At 5.00 am I was very careful not to wake the owners of the two large heavy-duty motor bikes parked next to the tent. (no offence any bikers out there!).

Regards
    Eddie
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    allensfoto wrote:
    I guess need to de-lurk a second time because my first login got mesed up,and basicly my old one dissappered.. ne_nau.gifne_nau.gif . had us all stumped for a while.. so i just registered again .
    Thanks to all for letting me back in .. It's releaving to know i wasn't blacked listed or something ..
    so hello to all again from Allensfoto FKA allensphoto...

Welcome back and our apologies for the inconvenience.
  • Options
    vegasphotogvegasphotog Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2007
    Yo Gangsta's..
    Greetings from the Great White North....no, that is not a racial statement!mwink.gif

I am a working commercial photog based in southcentral Alaska and been working in Photochop since v4.0.

88667274-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    Welcome AKphotog!

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2007
    Eddie wrote:
    Hi
    Trawling the web I came across the Big Grin and eventually registered.

Welcome Eddie!
  • Options
    laughingllamalaughingllama Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2007
    Testing the waters...
    Well, I am trying to post and send a picture. So far I haven't had good luck. I will try again. I am new to the forums but it looks like a cool place to hang out. I am Lauren. I have had a portfolio in Smugmug for a year. I am happy to have a place to get to know other photographers on the site. My screename is laughingllama so I thought I would post a llama photo. If I can figure this out I'll be back.

LaurenllamaSmugmug.JPG
  • Options
    laughingllamalaughingllama Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 21, 2007
    Testing the waters...
    wings.gif
    Well, I am trying to post and send a picture. So far I haven't had good luck. I will try again. I am new to the forums but it looks like a cool place to hang out. I am Lauren. I have had a portfolio in Smugmug for a year. I am happy to have a place to get to know other photographers on the site. My screename is laughingllama so I thought I would post a llama photo. If I can figure this out I'll be back.

Okay so the picture was too big. Now I am testing the editing tool. I'll get it down.

lol....Lauren
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2007
    Hiya 'llama! Looks like you've got attachments and links figured out!

Welcome aboard!
  • Options
    lastvisibleratlastvisiblerat Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 5, 2007
    Hello,

I've always loved photography, but I'm just now getting a bit more serious about it and hoping to improve my meager skills. I've learned a lot from reading the old posts here - what a great resource. :D My current camera is a rather lousy and battered Sony DSC-V1, which has a lot of problems (not related to the recall). One of my hopes is that in the near future I'll be able to get a nice starter DSLR, but for now the spirit's willing but the wallet is a bit weak. :D

Anyhow, I look forward to taking part in the discussions here and growing as a photographer.

One of my longtime favorite subjects is old textile mills. Here's a picture I took last week of one of my favorites, the Anthony Mill (1874) in Rhode Island.
    378736403_30433bf241.jpg
  • Options
    SublimeimageSublimeimage Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 11, 2007
    Quietly de-lurking...
    ...walks in ...
    :D and wave.gif to everyone.

bit O' self promotion:

126106272_96be8759a3_m.jpg

http://sublimeimage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    RearviewMirrorDCRearviewMirrorDC Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Hello
    Hi everyone! Great site!

I just typed a post and it ...disappeared... headscratch.gif

I've been an artist for ~30 years and decided to buy a digital SLR (Nikon D80) a couple of weekends ago.

I've been spending a lot of my free time reading about proper exposure and re-reading about proper exposure!

I'm looking forward to a Photoshop class I've signed up for and plan to get the software after I've had a bit of practice with it.

The attached photo was taken during a drive in the country last weekend.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2007
    Oooh, DC, you're scratching where I itch... love the Coke sign shot.

36010410-M.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    WrenTheBlurryWrenTheBlurry Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2007
    Greetings everyone!

I am convinced I am the greenest, newest, most n00bish newbie here. A few months ago I graduated from an old Canon PowerShot to a Rebel XTI. I spent weeks before that researching lenses and such, and ended up with a few really nice pieces of glass. So I basically jumped in with both feet, and sometimes feel like I am drowning; there is so very much to learn!

I have yet to move out of full-automatic mode (*hangs head*), but I will get there. The people on these forums seem so friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, that I am hoping this will become my life preserver in the sea of DSLR confusion and intimidation (and hey, motivation too, all the shots I see here are quite inspiring).

So. Now that I have finished making my Smugmug site, it is time to start posting. If all goes well, below you will see a picture of my younger son, Trevor, my backwards boy.

happy day, and thanks for reading!

wren

128003525-M.jpg

P.S.--I have it figured out now, I even posted it (and then edited the post) in three different sizes, hehe. I settled on 'medium', so as not to scare anyone.
  • Options
    PowderHoarPowderHoar Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2007
    DSC_0099.jpg

Howdy.
    I am a shutterbug-skier-artist guy living the dream in Colorado.
    I have my own radio show and I enjoy bacon.
    I'll try to contribute more here.

coffee.gif
    It's a sick world and I'm a happy guy!
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2007
    Howdy
    Some of you might know me just by my screen name. rolleyes1.gifOthers might recognize me from my motorcycle gear
    131320458-S.jpg
    That photos was a self portrait I took literally just holding the camera up and shooting. Here is the EXIF info. I have been shooting with PowerShots for about 7 years now, and just recently figured out how to go to RAW format and the difference it makes. I was hosting stuff on my own domain, but this is a heckuvalot easier and faster, so I have been uploading like crazy. I will probably be asking so so questions around every so often...
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    brutebrute Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 1, 2007
    New face
    Hey all;

I tend to be a serial lurker on these sites. I've been at Fred Miranda for a spell, but thought it was time to branch out.

I'd love to say that I've got some world-class photos of exotic places to share, but I haven't taken those photos in 5 years - about the same time that our first daughter was born.

Things change, and I find that my equipment choices have been made to match my station in life now.

Here's a picture of my muses. Needless to say, I am outnumbered.

-David
  • Options
    John PatrickJohn Patrick Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    First Post
    Hi, I'm John, and I'm a photographer.... kinda.

(Everyone: Hi, John!)

I've been into photography for two years now, since I picked up a Canon 20D. When I was a teen, I played around with my father's Nikon, and enjoyed it, but film costs were prohibitive for a teenager. Now, I have a bit more discretionary funds. :D

I'm an software and electrical engineer by education, software and electrical (embedded systems) engineer by profession as well. Engineering is nice and challenging, and I get to be creative at times, and it pays well, too. However, for the past 2 years, shooting has increased in importance.

I'm married, two kids (daughter 7 and son 5), and over the fall photographed my daughter's soccer team. To say it was a big hit would be an understatement. I had parents on opposing teams asking me when I was going to be photographing their team.

I thought about it quite a bit, and researched and discussed with others quite a bit as well. I've looked back into my past and didn't like all the "shoulda-beens" and "coulda-beens" of passed opportunities that I was too cowardly to take. So, I decided (on Jan 1) to go for it. I filed with the city, county, state, and feds. I met with the soccer league, and have permission to be a vendor for the spring season. I'm both nervous and confident I can do it.

I'm a very active member at FM.com, and have been looking for other forums for other views. Seems this may be home #3 (counting the real home as #1, of course!).

OK, an image.

This is my daughter during a game. 20D, 70-200mm f/4L @ 200mm, minimal post.

IMG_4540_edit_sm.jpg

My main interests are sports, portraiture, post processing, and the business side (especially selling prints to parents).

Hope to become more active here.

John
    John Patrick
    Canon shooter
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 2, 2007
    Very glad to have you here john..welcome !