Options

de-lurk yourselves

Comments

• Options
    MoniMoni Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Option1 wrote:
    ...Unfortunately, I haven't had (or haven't made) much opportunity to shoot sports for the past year or so, but I intend changing that. Trouble is it's hard to find outdoor sports to shoot here in Ottawa in winter! ...

Did you try the indoor soccer and indoor ultimate at that little arena beside the civic centre/landsdowne on the CCE grounds?
    I think they play fri and/or sat night. Or at least they used to.

And you'll have the skaters on the canal soon.

Good luck with the pics...
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Camryn, Neil,

Welcome! wave.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    Option1Option1 Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited December 3, 2007
    Moni wrote:
    Did you try the indoor soccer and indoor ultimate at that little arena beside the civic centre/landsdowne on the CCE grounds?
    I think they play fri and/or sat night. Or at least they used to.

And you'll have the skaters on the canal soon.

Good luck with the pics...
    Good point Moni, especially given I live within a short walk of Landsdowne. I must look into that.

Thanks for the welcome both Moni and David.

Neil
    :: Sports: CompetitionImages.com :: Words: Blog :: Nature: www.motifwebs.com ::
  • Options
    cmphotoworkscmphotoworks Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 5, 2007
    I guess I've been lurking long enough. I truly enjoy all forms of motorsports so I posted a bunch of my best shots on smugmug. My site is www.cmphotoworks.com feel free to comment on the pics, actually please do.
  • Options
    roscowgoroscowgo Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    anti-lurk and crappy camera pic.
    pic of my new pup from a 1.3 mpixel cybershot.

228981854-L.jpg

She's a sweetheart. And that crappy lil camera surprised me by taking such a good pic.

Howdy all. I look forward to picking your collective noggins about cameras.
  • Options
    lowflyerlowflyer Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 5, 2007
    unlurkification
    Okay, I am unlurking. wave.gif

I am a complete n00b at photography as a hobby. I know very little about anything that is not auto mode. However, I have snapped thousands of pics with my cameraphone and my Canon Elph. I am a motorcycling nut and found my way here via Advrider. I ride a Buell, so that means I will likely have to go Nikon when I make the plunge for a DSLR since nearly everyone else has a Canon. I am eyeing a D80, but I also seriously need a P&S upgrade. I think I have settled on a Canon G9 and am planning to pick one up on Friday. My rationale is that the G9 will be a good unit for learning and will replace my Elph as the tank bag camera. I plan to spend a few months learning myself how to turn the knobs on it and then see what kind of deal I can get on a D80 (body-only) and maybe start with a cheap 50mm lens.

Oh, and I have held and played with the equivalent Canons and Nikons and have concluded that the Nikon feels better to my hands. I even tried it with my eyes closed. nod.gif

Am I all screwed up?

Here's an example of my work. I call it "Get off the grass!"

img0110jx7.jpg

Shot with no regard for depth of field, composition, or bokeh by a Canon S230 in full auto. I can't wait to figure out what all of that means.
  • Options
    jrbechtholdjrbechthold Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2007
    I came over to de-lurk, and now I can't stop laughing!
    I love the expression in Keep Off the Grass. I can definitely relate. That face is just great.

I too am relatively new to the wonderful obsession of photography. I have always loved photography from a window shopping point of view - but now I hope to really learn and expand my experience so I can aptly portray what I view as art.

I just got my first Digital SLR (first SLR for that matter) a Nikon D40. I love the camera. It is advanced enough for me to learn on and reasonable enough, price-wise, that my wife hasn't killed me. (I tend to have some rather expensive hobbies - golf, macs, mountain biking, my kids)
    I have a free account over on flickr, but I really like the layout here. I am going to Japan for 10 days and I will be using the free trial during that time. From what I have seen so far I am sure I will be getting a full blown SmugMug account.

So there it is, I also have a blog that evidently only I read, and I like to post pictures there too... if you are bored, stop by and say hi - especially if you have a blog too.
    And so it goes...

Thanks!

Jeremy
  • Options
    lowflyerlowflyer Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2007
    I love the expression in Keep Off the Grass. I can definitely relate. That face is just great.

I too am relatively new to the wonderful obsession of photography. I have always loved photography from a window shopping point of view - but now I hope to really learn and expand my experience so I can aptly portray what I view as art.

I just got my first Digital SLR (first SLR for that matter) a Nikon D40. I love the camera. It is advanced enough for me to learn on and reasonable enough, price-wise, that my wife hasn't killed me. (I tend to have some rather expensive hobbies - golf, macs, mountain biking, my kids)
    I have a free account over on flickr, but I really like the layout here. I am going to Japan for 10 days and I will be using the free trial during that time. From what I have seen so far I am sure I will be getting a full blown SmugMug account.

So there it is, I also have a blog that evidently only I read, and I like to post pictures there too... if you are bored, stop by and say hi - especially if you have a blog too.
    And so it goes...

Thanks!

Jeremy

That face was funny to me because I told him to show me his war face (from the movie "Full Metal Jacket"). He, of course, has never seen that movie, but he did have a war face for sure.

Nice blog! It looks like you are already pretty talented. I love the snow pics.

Here is another one of mine. I call it "Sugar Hell."

0506071922pm1.jpg

Shot with my phone.
  • Options
    waldo647waldo647 Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    De-lurking...
    Hello, I'm de-lurking and testing out the Avatar on my bio...

Lots of amazing resources here! Now to pick a forum appearance that will minimize being noticed at work... Thank goodness for Spaces in Mac OS 10.5!

Funny how this all looks a lot like advrider!!

Best,
    - Chris mwink.gif
    waldo647images.com
  • Options
    Digital EphemeraDigital Ephemera Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 10, 2007
    Time to Delurk
    Hello! My name is Matt...um.. Long time lurker, first time poster. Here is a picture of me with a chinchilla on my head. No, this is not a common occurence for me :D

chinchilla.jpg
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited December 10, 2007
    Welcome Chris and Matt!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jrbechtholdjrbechthold Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 11, 2007
    Sugar hell is right!
    lowflyer wrote:
    That face was funny to me because I told him to show me his war face (from the movie "Full Metal Jacket"). He, of course, has never seen that movie, but he did have a war face for sure.

Nice blog! It looks like you are already pretty talented. I love the snow pics.

Here is another one of mine. I call it "Sugar Hell."

0506071922pm1.jpg

Shot with my phone.
    Thanks for stopping by the blog.

Take care,

Jeremy
  • Options
    Mr SheenMr Sheen Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 11, 2007
    I am John, 61 years old, retired in Thailandne_nau.gif

I re-started photography early this year, and it keeps me busy and happy.

My nickname: I have the same dome as the guy on a cleaning product mwink.gif
  • Options
    JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2007
    Hi All,

I'm Theresa from AZ, aka JavaLover, while I do like coffee, this Java is my puppy. iloveyou.gif

I've posted in a few places but thought I would officially intro myself. I've been taking photos for a long time, mostly family and landscape. Went digital in '02 with a PS. Started underwater photog in '00 went digital there last year '06. Then this year for my early Christmas my honey surprised me with a Canon 40D! So I'm learning all over again! rolleyes1.gif

So here's my baby and my 'name sake'.

2092639872_1e0d4f99d2_m.jpg
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jeff318jeff318 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    Hi, I'm Jeff... I'm a college student currently working on starting a small business scanning print photos for families. I've done a lot of research and see that SmugMug is the right service for me. You can see the website for the service at www.shoeboxsavior.com, and my SmugMug site (under development) at shoeboxsavior.smugmug.com.

:D
    Jeff
    www.shoeboxsavior.com
    shoeboxsavior.smugmug.com
    digitizing your family's memories
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    jeff318 wrote:
    Hi, I'm Jeff... I'm a college student currently working on starting a small business scanning print photos for families. I've done a lot of research and see that SmugMug is the right service for me. You can see the website for the service at www.shoeboxsavior.com, and my SmugMug site (under development) at shoeboxsavior.smugmug.com.

Jeff
    Welcome and good luck! Enjoy the forum.
  • Options
    edited December 14, 2007
    Welcome John, Theresa and Jeff!
  • Options
    waldo647waldo647 Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    jeff318 wrote:

Jeff
    Hi Jeff,

The password you supplied isn't working on your gallery.

Great concept! I know someone locally who might be interested. It's in the SF Bay Area and she has a lot of photos.

Best.
    - Chris
    waldo647images.com
  • Options
    jeff318jeff318 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 14, 2007
    waldo647 wrote:
    Hi Jeff,

The password you supplied isn't working on your gallery.

Great concept! I know someone locally who might be interested. It's in the SF Bay Area and she has a lot of photos.

Best.
    - Chris

I've fixed the password issue. I made a batch settings change to my galleries and forgot to exclude that one. I only have one photo in there at this point, but will be selecting more gradually.

I've seen several similar services out there, and some of them are located in various places in California. Unfortunately, most of them aren't priced at a level where it would be feasible to scan an entire archive of photographs. I can get around that, since I'm keeping it local at this point (Rochester, NY area) and handling all of the web development and promotional work myself. (After all, just about any income is better than the $7.15/hour I make on campus!)

I don't have the equipment yet, but I am looking into using the Kodak s1220 scanning system because the Kodak name still means a lot to people in the Rochester area. Kodak uses the same system for their Kodak Gallery Scan Van, but I knew I didn't want to put the photos on a website where the customers would have to pay to download full-res images.

Thanks for the feedback. Let me know if you have any more thoughts.

Jeff
    www.shoeboxsavior.com
    shoeboxsavior.smugmug.com
    digitizing your family's memories
  • Options
    daveRendaveRen Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2007
    Newbee in?
    OK, I guess I am in with a first posting in "cameras".
    I am really looking forward to participating along with the great photographers found here.
    I haven't yet figured out how to post individual photos into a multi-contributor gallery (or do these exist.)
    Can anybody comment on how to get started posting landscape and travel shots. I have some good (non-beach-drinking Mexico shots.)
    Thanks, ............. Dave
    http://dave.rd123.ca
    .... a road less traveled
  • Options
    evokingimagesevokingimages Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 15, 2007
    De-Lurking
    I'm de-lurking... I am thrilled to be a part of such a talented and witty group of people here. A couple of friends of mine have been SmugMug subscribers for a couple of years now, so, I knew about it. But, shame on me...I never tried it myself. Now, I can't get enough of it! I'm customizing my home page, trying banners....now I'm trying to tackle the flash thing. Wow!

Nice to be here!
    clap.gif

http://evokingimages.smugmug.com

By the way, I can't seem to figure out how to adjust the pricing on my pro site for the greeting cards. It keeps defaulting to the SmugMug basic price. Has anyone else noticed this? I may be overlooking something, but, I keep going over and over it and just can't see it from here.
  • Options
    craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2007
    Hey all! I'm new to the forum but have had my gallery for two years. I love smug mug by the way...mwink.gif

i've been shooting Nascar for three yrs. and love every minute. I've developed so many incredible relationships in that time.

So How does this contest work? Is it still going on?
    Tracy :rofl
    Canon Stuff
    www.craftgirlcreations.smugmug.com
  • Options
    babyblueutbabyblueut Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2007
    De-Lurking
    Hi there, im new to these forums and to smugmug.

Just saying hiyas!!

sandy

http://babyblueut.smugmug.com
  • Options
    suspendedtimephotosuspendedtimephoto Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 18, 2007
    Hi everyone. I've been using SmugMug for a while and I finally just signed up for the forums. Check out my site at http://suspendedtimephoto.smugmug.com

Adam
  • Options
    GergGerg Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 25, 2007
    Damn, I've been a member for a while but never got around to hanging here much, until now. I've posted here before but it seems as though it got deleted. Probably when they had the AdvRider influx, unruly group as you've heard I'm sure. Long time Smugmuger and Adventure Rider.

Been shooting with the point and shooters for a long time. First was a Kodak DC260 then to a Canon S500 then a S600 (a gift). Now I'm shooting with a Canon 40D. LOTS to learn! The last SLR I used was my Pentax and all you had to do is set the film speed and center the needle, my how things have changed.

Me and Scooter the killer cat.
    142917508-L.jpg

As soon as I figure out how to take decent picutes with the new Canon I'll post up.

Greg :rutt
    (That's the :gerg smiley over on AdvRider)
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2007
    Welcome Gerg wave.gif
  • Options
    Matt336Matt336 Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2007
    Hello fellow Dgrinners!

My name is Matt, I'm 20 years old and am an accounting major in college. I have a Nikon D200 and have been into photography for a few years now. I shoot both for fun and for a local paper. I hope to learn a lot and have some fun.

Thanks,

Matt
  • Options
    deidrejohnsondeidrejohnson Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 30, 2007
    De-lurking
    Hello all,

Been pokin through the fence for awhile, thought I'd come over and introduce. My name's Deidre and I'm in Texas. Work mostly on landscapes, but enjoy snapping just about anything.

Made my first sale of this photo to other than family & friends today!clap.gif

223383504-S.jpg

I have been working to get this photo to POP!
    237143344-S-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2007
    Hey Matt!
    Welcome Deidre!
  • Options
    bikingbetsbikingbets Registered Users Posts: 160 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Backwards de-lurking
    I think I should've posted here before I put my first post over in Sports....anyway, I'm a digital slr noobie, getting my feet wet with girls' high school basketball until warmer weather returns. Here's a sample:
    Copy2ofIMG_1411.jpg
    Canon 40D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, 24-105mm f/4L IS, EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM , 580EX ll