Options

de-lurk yourselves

Comments

• Options
    JDouglasJDouglas Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2008
    OK, I'm de-lurking myself
    I just set up a trial Smugmug account and registered here. I'm a new-ish photographer, struggling to improve.

I'll join in with comments where I can, and hope to not make too big a fool of myself. rolleyes1.gif

Now I'll go post something in ... Landscapes I think.
  • Options
    thequiet1thequiet1 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited January 26, 2009
    Hello...hello? Just uh...de-lurking myself. Woo-hoo my 2nd post. I'm an expert now. I like how the forums are organized, and I'm sure I'll be actively reading advice, and posting some too. Thanks Smug!
  • Options
    ellarueellarue Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2009
    is there an award for coolest customized smugmug site?iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    manzicomanzico Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 6, 2009
    first post...
    Just decided to give SmugMug a try recently. I've only set up a few galleries so far. Now that I'm getting acclimated I figured it was time to join a few communities and introduce myself. So here I am. You can view my galleries at http://manzico.smugmug.com/. Let me know what you think. I'll be back to post more for sure now.

Dave
  • Options
    syntec4syntec4 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    De-lurking myself! - Long post
    Hello all,
    I found Dgrin via the ADV forum and then a Smugmug account. I have been into taking pictures for a long time, probably 30 years. I started with an Olympus OM10 with a 50mm and a 80-200 Tamron. Then in the early 90's I 'upgraded' to a Minolta Dynax 500. I always found the cost of film restricted my ability to shoot as much as I would have liked, so when digital came along I initially became quite excited. However, I was soon to discover that the early 'affordable' digitals were not worth bothering with. I carried on with film until 2004 when I bought a Fuji Finepix S5000, which was at the time the best I could afford.
    This was the camera that gave me the freedom to shoot as much as I liked and really start to notice where I am going wrong. But I missed the functionality of an SLR. Late 2008 I managed to persuade SWMBO that I needed a New camera. With 3 kids and a mortgage cash for toys is limited so the best I could afford was a Nikon D40 with a kit lens. I have since bought the 70-300 VR to go with it. I take the gear with me whenever I can, even to work with me. I shoot very heavy and spend as much time looking at the results as possible, trying to figure out where I can improve. I've learnt a huge amount just from lurking here - thanks :D I got the Pro Smugmug account - mainly so that when I get the 'can you do me a print of that' from people that see me taking pictures, I can simply point them at smugmug avoid the hassle. In the unlikely event I make any money (I Haven't yet) rolleyes1.gif I will give the money to my sons football team towards some new shirts.

Anyway - time for a few pictures.

Taken yesterday at a local football match (Flixton FC) I went to watch with my eldest son. It's not that grainy, it was snowingmwink.gif

ISO800 F4.8 92mm 1/250

469828564_7Wpda-M-1.jpg

Taken the same day whilst walking the dog near home

ISO400 F5.6 300mm 1/640

469693832_6Jw7v-L-2.jpg

This is one that I captured with the Finepix.

377179760_asC7t-L-2.jpg

I also like to experiment a little bit

431840699_P6nZi-L-2.jpg

Thanks for taking the time. Comments are always welcome. More pictures on my Smugmug here

Cheers
    Lee.
  • Options
    NwestrnrNwestrnr Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2009
    De lurkified
    Hi all guess this is the place to post a first !? Been lurking here for about an hour headscratch.gif now and new to smugmug needless to say I'm luvin it mwink.gif

What I do mostly is shoot motocross not held with open arms to most peeps but its what I do and love it ,along with learning to shoot better landscape and portraits along the way...

:D
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited February 10, 2009
    Welcome n00bs!

Looking forward to seeing your MX pix Nwestrnr!

Hey Lee, got any more from the Vintage Trials event? I'm guessing that's what it's from?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    mdsdurangomdsdurango Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2009
    Truly a nOOb (what does that mean?) beginner. Entering photograpy with a specific agenda. As a home builder in a cool economic climate I need really great shots of interior and exterior architecture (residential). I come seeking advice on shooting, processing, and posting. I'll try to be a good listener with loads of questions.

Mike
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2009
    Welcome Mike!

A n00b is just someone new to something. Everybody's now and again :D
  • Options
    JcasJcas Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2009
    Another noob delurking, just thought i would check this out after receiving a cool camera strap, thanks for posting all the way to Tasmania Smugmug, even checking out smugmug too:D
  • Options
    anjelanjel Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2009
    Greetings photo friends. I'm officially de-lurked as you say. Former pro stylist & makeup artist, worked on sets and location for 18 yrs. until I got diagnosed with Lupus. Had to redirect, went to NYI for photography, finishing up last Oct. Hoping to dive into wedding work, but my real passion is in wild adventures! I have a few galleries up on smug mug, including my visit to the Daytona 500. My camera? Nikon D80 w/4 lenses. I have TONS to learn. Hope you people are patient with us ADHD types. :ivar

earth-angel-photography.com
  • Options
    tkcurtistkcurtis Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 16, 2009
    Another Delurking...
    Hey everyone! Another delurker here. I just joined, and am just getting started in photography. I'm taking classes through NYIP and hope to go pro eventually.

I've started up a smugmug account at http://www.tanyacurtis.com and am still tweaking it, but I think I have most of it somewhat functional. Laughing.gif.

I live in Northern California in the Gold Rush country, full of history, drama, and dramatic images just waiting to be captured. I recently bought a Nikon D60 camera with 2 lenses and I'm working my way up from there.

Tanya
  • Options
    scottsmugscottsmug Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 6, 2009
    I am de-lurking and so new I smell like plastic
    I may be replying to someone else, but I think I am just posting a message in the de-lurk thread as suggested by the intro email I got.

I'm moving my website along, transitioning from my old site to smugmug, still have to upload full res versions of my photos. I may post my css for review if that sort of thing is done.

http://scottmillerphotos.com

Ok bye.
  • Options
    astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2009
    De-Lurking myself, I have had my website up and running for a year now, and been here since April. I don't do this for a living(maybe someday). Right now I am a 1st Class Sonar Technician, stationed as a Fleet Responsive Training Instructor at Naval Submarine School in Groton, CT. I have a few new threads up in Landscapes as that is what I shoot primarily. I am mostly self taught, with teaching from those I shoot with also. I tend to do a lot of long exposure stuff, so if anyone is looking for help with long exposure photos, just ask, by what I do for a living right now, I better be able to teach you!

-Andy
  • Options
    MalxMalx Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 12, 2009
    <Lurking Mode off>
    Well, best get the first post out of the way.

Been on Smugmug for a few months now and still sorting out/de-cluttering my site. http://www.snappypirate.com .

Took the leap and got a Nikon D80 about 9 months ago, still working with the standard Kit lenses which will do me for a while.

Living in Scotland and work in IT. Using the camera as a good excuse to get out and about.

Right, off to check out the rest of the forums.
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2009
    do i win by default since that's my title?

:D
  • Options
    BWPBWP Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    Ok, I'll play. My first picture posts.
    I shoot mostly local racing, autocross and drags, and wildlife.
    http://bwp.SmugMug.com

522922043_7qJSA-M.jpg
    497686158_NQG75-M.jpg
    562834940_JYm9e-M.jpg
    562831816_vJN6k-M.jpg
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 13, 2009
    BWP wrote:
    Ok, I'll play. My first picture posts.
    I shoot mostly local racing, autocross and drags, and wildlife....

Nice! Welcome! clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    beyondphotosbeyondphotos Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 24, 2009
    I've delurked!!!
    Well here I am. I've delurked myself and checking in. I have a smugmug account and right now all I have on it is photos from my grandson's baseball games. I'm still learning photography, photoshop, and smugmug, so ya'll bear with me. I'm definitely a n00b! wings.gif

http://www.beyondphotos2.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    SharkBytesSharkBytes Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Don't know if I'm a lurker, since I joined and posted once already. But, I've worked up the courage to post a couple of shots here. Mostly shoot my kids swim team meets. Still trying to figure out all the controls on my camera!
    Kevin
  • Options
    thfoxthfox Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited July 28, 2009
    I'm also new here. Just joined up in the last few days.

Here's a picture from the spring. High school baseball.

500636870_dBUyM-L.jpg
  • Options
    cGreercGreer Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited September 17, 2009
    Officially De-Lurked
    Wow! The air seems crisper. Colors seem...brighter. I should have done this sooner!
    Hello all.

http://greerphotographyonline.com
  • Options
    CaroleHayesCaroleHayes Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2009
    Am I still a lurker if I've posted a few times in the wedding forum? I spend most of my time reading, 'though I'm trying to change that.... Hi! :)
    Don't cry because it's over—smile because it happened.
    - Dr. Seuss

My Smugmug
  • Options
    KixxKixx Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Still noobing, looking for comments, critiques and hints!
    These were taken this past Saturday at the Pitt/UConn game. There are more in my galleries. Please tell me what I am doing right/wrong, and anything else you can think of!

4007148869_0f23a24d37.jpg

4007914568_6d69f21b6c.jpg

4007914294_3e067a5438.jpg

4007913894_e9c406a06e.jpg

4007147473_dbebfbaa46.jpg

last, but not least, the winning FG

4007148557_ce8e8d3b51.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 14, 2009
    Welcome Carole, Kixx cgreer, thfox, sharkbyes & beyondphotos!
  • Options
    cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited October 14, 2009
    Have been lurking and learning for over a year but never really introduced myself on dgrin.

hello from SW of Pittsburgh, PA where fall and football are in full swing.

Alicia
  • Options
    MarcusPhotographicMarcusPhotographic Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited October 17, 2009
    Hi all from NYC
    Hi Dgrinners...been lurking myself...and intend to start contributing. if anyone is in NYC for the 31st - I will be shooting in the parade...let me know if you are around. Looking fwd to meeting many of you here!

www.marcussimpsonphotography.com

Just uploading about 500 shots from the Polish Parade 2 weeks ago...incredible expressions...breadth of people - young, old, wise...etc. Lots of feeling. You can see if you wish in Culture & Events, NYC Parades, Polish Parade..
  • Options
    SquelchSquelch Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2009
    I guess I'll delurk myself as well. I've been shooting for fun since 2001 or 2002. I started with an Elan 7E, moved to a 10D in March 2003, and last month bought myself a 50D and some L lenses. Here are some of the shots I've taken with the new equipment:

Army Football vs. Ball State:
    683951276_TzNNc-M.jpg

The cute little bugger who eats my wife's plants:
    683951063_MvxUy-M.jpg

Just a macro shot of an A-1 that I like to fiddle with:
    683959052_jMszJ-M.jpg

An HDR shot of West Point just before sunrise:
    683950985_dhx5H-M.jpg
  • Options
    SoCalAlSoCalAl Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2009
    Finally De-lurking.. Attn: Sports Shooters
    Hi All! I've finally de-lurked... I've been a Smugger for about two years and have thoroughly enjoyed it all and have learned a huge amount from all of you plus the tutorials. It almost feels like I know many of you. Got my 1st DSLR about 2 years ago, a Nikon D80 (how do I turn it on?). All of my adult life I have been involved with cars & racing, 46 years. The local dirt bike track was a logical place to start for me. Progressed up to a D300 and now a D3. Became the track photographer and was making a few bucks.

ATTENTION MOTORSPORTS SHOOTERS:

Sept 12, '09 got whacked by a rider coming down from a jump and landing off track. Never saw him coming, was shooting another rider. Knocked me out and threw me about 35 ft including a verticle drop of about 10 ft. No concussion & nothing broken but my whole right side still sore and badly bruised. Hope to recover this lifetime. Estimated speed 35-40 mph, rider was still in the air when he hit me. Used up 1/2 dozen lives on that one. The impact tried to rip the Nikkor 70~200 lens off my D3, broke the lens in half, bent the camera lens mount up about an 1/8" & broken connectors could be seen. I couldn't believe it but Nikon saved the camera and it works as it always has, extremely well! Been playing with my 24-70. When I showed them the broken lens at the Torrance repair center, they had a good laugh. We all gave it the salute and moved on. I am now the only one on the block with 2 expensive Nikkor Ant Burners!!! Now trying to come up with the finances to get another lens. There is an updated version coming out and they are not available yet. I'm on a forced holiday.

Just always remember there is NO safe place at the track!!! S##t happens at any track.

The kid that hit me is OK. He cracked his scapula and got a mild concussion but he will be
    back at the track in 3-4 weeks. We have emailed each other. Told him I would give him a CD with all of his images on it from that day. Just a young kid.

Aleek7.gif

http://alsphotoprojects.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    crazy7photographycrazy7photography Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2009
    Ok Ok Ok
    I just posted my first post and I'll stop lurking around..
    Canon 5D Mark II, 7D, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 28-70mm 2.8, 15mm Fish eye. etc...
    Alien Bees Strobes

Crazy Seven Photography
    www.crazysevenphotography.com