Options

de-lurk yourselves

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2006
    Turnbill wrote:
    Hi,

I'm new to DG, though I've been on the DPReview and Fred Miranda forums for a while. I discovered DG when someone on FM recently posted a link to a post by Rutt on Don Margulis LAB color book. It's a great thread and I was really impressed with the site.

I've been "doing" photography for about 30 years, starting with an old Canon AE-1 and switching to digital about four years ago. I've been upgrading my digital equipment almost annually, but think I've reached the pinacle with the 5D, which I purchased a few months ago (of course, there's always new lenses).

Anyway, looking forward to learning some new techniques here and to posting some pictures for comments and critque.

Bill

w00t wave.gif welcome, Bill!
  • Options
    mccafmccaf Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2006
    I may as well start here! I could use a free year!
  • Options
    KelvinsKelvins Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 28, 2006
    Winning is Grinning
    Heh, it is good to finally get set-up. I have been with smugmug since Christmas '05. Just been to busy at work to get this all up and working.

I could use some help shrinking down my avatar, could anyone point me to a link or recommend the best program to sneak it through?
  • Options
    padupadu Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2006
    Kelvins wrote:
    Heh, it is good to finally get set-up. I have been with smugmug since Christmas '05. Just been to busy at work to get this all up and working.

I could use some help shrinking down my avatar, could anyone point me to a link or recommend the best program to sneak it through?

Hey Kelvins,

Besides shrinking the avatar, what about writing with a text color other than blue thumb.gif, I was having a real hard time trying to read it until I remember to select (and invert colors) it.

Photoshop (or similar) should do a good job resizing your avatar...

Cheers

Ow... by the way, I think I'm still considered a noob here, so what's up everybody! I'm loving here (and smugmug) so far! (not sure if my boss is:D )
    http://padu.merlotti.com
    http://padu.smugmug.com
    www.merlotti.com
    Sony dslr A100, Minolta Maxxum 7000, Voighlander Bessa R and Calumet 4x5 View Camera
  • Options
    bigfredtnbigfredtn Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited October 3, 2006
    Time to De-Lurk
    Its time for me to de-lurk myself. I like this site already. It's very easy to upload photos to this site.
    BigFredTN
    Memphis area (Wish I were back in East TN)
    Canon 30D
    Canon Digital Rebel 300D(My 1st DSLR)
    Canon G3 (a very good P&S)
    Canon 85 1.8
    Canon 18-55 kit lens
    Sigma 70-200 2.8
    Sigma 2x converter
    Tamaron 28-75 2.8
    Tamaron 17-50 2.8
  • Options
    MrXpressMrXpress Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 3, 2006
    I just registered with Smugmug and now dgrin. I participate in DPChallenge and post a lot in DPReview forums, but this is my first 'real' online photo album. So far, I definitely like what I see, and this seems to be a great community and a very well-run site in smugmug. Maybe one day I'll start posting more, but I'm still quite new to all this so I'll probably lay low for a while.
  • Options
    UrbanitoUrbanito Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 11, 2006
    [I just joined Dgrin and am a member of Smugmug.
    Regards.)quote=Andy]we're giving away a one-year subscription to smugmug (basic account) to the best n00b contributor to dgrin. if you already have a smugmug account, i'll give an amazon gift certificate deal.gif

so lurkers - de-lurk yourselves, and start posting and contributing. it's easy to contribute in shots - tell the poster how you feel, you don't have to feel obligated to do a full critique (although there's a sticky in the challenge thread on how to critique) ... if all you can muster is "nice shot" well, that's okay too. but you can also tell the photographer how the shot makes you feel ...

in the other forums, contribute if you can answer a question - or if you notice something on page 2 or 3, and no replies, give it a courtesy bump so that others who may know the answer, will see it!

the mods will make nomination and we'll give away the prize in a month - and if this program works, we'll keep it up thumb.gif[/quote]
  • Options
    moorephotomoorephoto Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 11, 2006
    Hello SmugMug Community!

I'm building my site here and braving the customization options even though I've always deferred that sort of thing to my highly skilled Web Developer friends.

Why? Cause I was gonna go with LiveBooks.com, but decided to try out SmugMug and see if I can take advantage of their value pricing and customization options! Only time will tell. I decided that if I am unable to make SmugMug meet my professional needs, then I can always use it for my friends and family photo sharing needs.

So far, I find the entire SmugMug team very friendly and helpful. I'm going to need their expertise in order to tweak my site just right, but I'm braced for the work!

Thanks for hosting such a very cool website and I look forward to learning only what I need to about coding so I can focus on my imagery instead.

Lorene in Texas
  • Options
    Terry66Terry66 Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    Hey everyone...I am semi-"de-lurking". I joined about 3 months ago but have been really busy over the summer, so I haven't been able to participate as much as I would have liked. I figured I would officially delurk and introduce myself.

I am a free-lance motorsports photographer from the Midwest (Ohio). www.watsonfx.com I spend the spring and summer shooting everything from Superbikes to sprint cars to F1. During the winters, I seem to focus my "sports" photography toward my kid's hockey team. I am also an avid nature/wildlife photographer. I try to get down to the Everglades each spring to shoot.

Recently I finished up my motorsports season with the AMA Superbike Championships. I posted some of the images and got great feedback. Here is the link if you want to check it out.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=44034

With that, I'll share one of my favorite shots from this past season...Thanks!

fernando.jpg
  • Options
    cricket07cricket07 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2006
    TADAH.. introducing myself!
    I have the bug.. the digital photography bug! The more I read, the more I shoot, the better I become. I have seen some amazing shots, talent and met some really nice people in the 4 years I have been playing around with this medium. Looking forward to being a part of this community! thumb.gif
    Christine
    Andy wrote:
    we're giving away a one-year subscription to smugmug (basic account) to the best n00b contributor to dgrin. if you already have a smugmug account, i'll give an amazon gift certificate deal.gif

so lurkers - de-lurk yourselves, and start posting and contributing. it's easy to contribute in shots - tell the poster how you feel, you don't have to feel obligated to do a full critique (although there's a sticky in the challenge thread on how to critique) ... if all you can muster is "nice shot" well, that's okay too. but you can also tell the photographer how the shot makes you feel ...

in the other forums, contribute if you can answer a question - or if you notice something on page 2 or 3, and no replies, give it a courtesy bump so that others who may know the answer, will see it!

the mods will make nomination and we'll give away the prize in a month - and if this program works, we'll keep it up thumb.gif
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited October 14, 2006
    Welcome Terry and Christine wave.gifwave.gif

Nice shot Terry thumb.gifthumb.gif There are quite a few motorsports shooters who post here. Glad to have you aboard :D

Christine, we've all got da fever rolleyes1.gif You have a great philosophy thumb.gif and we'd love to see you post some pics wings.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    cricket07cricket07 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 16, 2006
    2005_0526_130938AA.jpg
    cricket07 wrote:
    I have the bug.. the digital photography bug! The more I read, the more I shoot, the better I become. I have seen some amazing shots, talent and met some really nice people in the 4 years I have been playing around with this medium. Looking forward to being a part of this community! thumb.gif
    Christine
  • Options
    henchcliffehenchcliffe Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    de lurking
    Greetings, de-lurking here.

I have used smugmug for close to a year.
    My galleries are at:
    http://henchcliffe.smugmug.com

My page is mostly a travelogue as I am rather an inexperienced snapshotter.

Enjoy!
    CMH
    60377337-M.jpg
  • Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    just found this post. been de-lurking quite extensively!

I have my own galleries and have not decided what account type I want at smug mug or if I want one at all. :(
  • Options
    Driver72Driver72 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 21, 2006
    104035872-M.jpg

First post...let's hear it. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    Driver72Driver72 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 21, 2006
    Driver72 wrote:
    104035872-M.jpg

First post...let's hear it. ne_nau.gif

Already messed up, should have posted in Wildlife I guess.
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    how does one know if they're a newbie?

- rE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2006
    Trying to De-lurk
    Trying to figure out my way around this site. Got a Canon Digital Rebel about two years ago and have been snapping away like crazy since then. Just have a cheap Quantaray 100-300mm zoom, but I'm trying to get as much out of it as possible.

Attached (hopefully) is about my favorite shot. Not sure how it will display in this thread--as it's been reduced a good bit.

Appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thanks

Will
    Regards

Will
    edited November 5, 2006
    I don't think the idea was to post your photos or information on here, was it? like...just participate in the threads in the other forums and the mods will see that you've been trying.....
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    AwfulKnawfulAwfulKnawful Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 5, 2006
    G'day all.....
    De-lurking here.
    Another from Australia.
    I shoot with a D50, but received my new D200 this week.
    Looking forward to posting some pic's and getting some honest C & C.
    Favourite lens' (atm) are my 70-200vr bowdown.gif and 11-18 sp-af.

:ivar
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2006
    De-lurking here.
    Another from Australia.
    I shoot with a D50, but received my new D200 this week.
    Looking forward to posting some pic's and getting some honest C & C.
    Favourite lens' (atm) are my 70-200vr bowdown.gif and 11-18 sp-af.

:ivar
    G'day awfulknawful...getting to be a few of us here now. Please feel welcome & join right in mate.
  • Options
    El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2006
    De-lurk!
    Hi all,

Just found this forum the other day, it looks excellent! I've been a happy snapper for 3-4 years now, but about 6 months ago I took the plunge and got a 350D, and I'm still learning how to use it properly. Looks like a great forum, I look forward to receiving advice (and giving it when I learn some more!)

Cheers,
    Colin
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
  • Options
    Jilly2Jilly2 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 24, 2006
    I am delurking!
    Ok... Time to delurk! Delurk finished lol3.gif
    :dgrin
  • Options
    StvStv Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    Delurking too ........ again
    Lifetime Minolta user .................

I've said enough already!rolleyes1.gif

Stv
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2006
    welcome guys wings.gif
  • Options
    winterhkwinterhk Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2006
    'Nuther noob
    Howdy Everyone. Just joined up here. I'm an avid ADVrider which is how I discovered Smugmug and Dgrin. Lots of good stuff here. I used to shoot alot of medium and large format film stuff, but shoot mostly digital now. Really haven't made any good images yet digitally, but I'm learning more about processing software (to add to my CS/2) and lens availability for my Rebel XT.

Anyway, just hought I'd say hi! wave.gif Guess I'll post a pic too since this is a photog site!

A film exhibition:

21002343-M.jpg

& some published, though not very good, digital work:

95745348-M.jpg

95695777-M.jpg

95695782-M.jpg
    Brian aka Winterhk
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, kit lens
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited November 27, 2006
    Hullo winterhk wave.gif

Welcome to Dgrin. We don't have a Jo Mama, but the forums can be pretty entertaining nonetheless lol3.gif

Please feel free to post additional shots in the appropriate forum(s). This thread doesn't get much traffic and your photos deserve more attention than they will garner in this thread thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    DavartDavart Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 5, 2006
    Entering the DeLurk Zone...
    Just found this site an hour or so ago....and it feels quite comfortable. rolleyes1.gif I'm at work and don't have many photos with me, but let me see what I can dig up.

I'm not sure how things work around here yet, but if the image I just uploaded appears it was taken on Mayne Island, B.C. at Bennett Bay. The rock detail and the position of the logs kind of reminded me of a heavily camouflaged military vehicle or something....
  • Options
    John™John™ Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited December 6, 2006
    Hi Andy
    I took you seriously over on ADVRider and figured I'd drop by.

Here's my submission. Too bad I didn't get the sun over the hand on the statue instead of under it, but I couldn't see!

115168430-M.jpg
  • Options
    JWilbur26JWilbur26 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited December 6, 2006
    My Entry...
    Hi All. This is just a larger version of my avatar. This is the first shot that I really like since taking up photography a short time ago. This little guy was partying at our house in Key West. Any comments and critiques are greatly appreciated

115426643-L.jpg

iguana2.jpg?imgmax=912

www.sunshinestatephotography.com

"There are 3 kinds of people in this world...those who can count, and those who can't" :scratch
    ~Anonymous

Please feel free to edit my images...I can only learn from it.