Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    OK Here is a simple choice for the viewers - which is better Blue or Orange? Or am I wasting my time with either of them?

6770329-M.jpg

6786275-M.jpg
    This looks like you might have settled into a deep LAB curve groove. True? Or it some other tool?

In any case, I also like the second one better. The first on has a blue cast (check the values on the asphalt, blue asphalt is an impossible color that is often the result of some sort of PS move), which makes me think the second was closer to the original. True? The ground just to the right of the lamp posts is a little disturbing. I'd either like to see this in complete shadow or be able to see more detail. Now it looks like it's in fog or something or perhaps just didn't get the attention it deserved (or perhaps too much attention). But somehow, it doesn't seem quite real.

I like the composition. Nice vertical wide angle.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    I suppose I'm left with a question. What about the daisy?

6698407-S.jpg

Forget for a minute about the quality of this shot (and the fact that Ginger has found some interesting crops of it.) Is this on message for Lines & Curves? Is there room for reasonable people to differ? I don't think so, but I'm still learning (and trying to overcome a tin ear, apparently.) I'd especially like to hear from Andy.[/QUOTE]
    Remember that some reasonable people are also talking about the WOW factor. I don't know about the daisy and lines and curves,but it is so obviously a daisy, but I don't think the judges will buy it.

And maybe someone else will tell you why. I, actually don't know. I don't think, given choices, that they would have bought any of my offspring using that daisy either, though "House of th Rising Sun" really got to me as a title.

I would just do what Andy suggested, I don't know that area, nothing about it, but I would get that out of the way. If it works for you fine, if it doesn't, you can show how it didn't. I have learned that if I ask for advice, I might be stuck doing something I don't want to. Maybe not the first time, but eventually, I have to show "intent" or whatever it is called, in order to continue to get the people to work with me.

So I would try it.................so you can throw Andy a bone, T-Bone or dog bone.....or green tennis ball. (I have not seen the place, but I do like the advice)............maybe it is a cliche, don't know, but it is worth a look shoot. Use all your memory cards on it, sunset, sunrise, an hour before, after, use all lenses........ throw in the kitchen sink. I would honestly do that.

I stayed up all night, couldn't sleep but an hour, my eyes hurt. I copied a bunch of files to disk, then deleted files and folders, gained about 2% of space on my computer. (Sorry, just had to vent a bit, a little give and take here, smile)

hehe,
    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    She was a great found model and I had a lot of fun shooting her. There are more of here (along with some other stuff, some much less appealing) in this prooofsheat gallery. Here is are a few to catch your interest. Let me know if you think one of the others might be a better starting poing. Thank.

6809690-S.jpg
    Good gosh, Rutt, when you are turned on by a subject...............

Now stop it! Or go all the way, have her take her clothes off, backlight her in sweet light, is that light still called sweet, but make the photograph about the curves not the sex...............even I can feel the sex.

HAHAHAHHAHAHa, ginger
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    ginger, yer killin' me!
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Good gosh, Rutt, when you are turned on by a subject...............

Now stop it! Or go all the way, have her take her clothes off, backlight her in sweet light, is that light still called sweet, but make the photograph about the curves not the sex...............even I can feel the sex.

HAHAHAHHAHAHa, ginger

you one funny lady. way funny. uber-funny!
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    That doesn't look like a grey sky to me, Ginger, it looks like a blue sky late in the day with a very thin layer of clouds.

Whatever color the sky is, I like the water color better now, but that is just me.

ginger

We often get haze here in the summer, don't know if that is what you would call it, I have been extremely fortunate in my shooting weather. Haze sucks. (I hate writing that, one of my best friends name was Haze, and he died.) Haze is not a fog, it is ............ something else, often mentioned as not the best weather for photography, except it doesn't throw the strong shadows while taking portraits.

Right now the sun is coming in and out.

I have mellowed a bit on my exceptance of "blue", since looking at a bunch of coffee table type photo books with beautiful dusk time blue photos.

But that did look a bit off to me, looks better now, but that is just my humble opinion.

g again.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    but make the photograph about the curves not the sex
    Hey I just managed to get on message. Curves and lines, right? Well, and sex for wow.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    ...............even I can feel the sex.
    I think that means it's working.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Nicely done Tim. Nice effect. Was it Heritage Park?
    Ya, just 1/2 way up the hill.

I found a couple hours to go shooting and somehow ended up here.

Tim
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    Banging my head against the wall...
    Rutt... "RuTT's BuTT"--Great catch on the lines and curves... You really are on target there!

Pathfinder... Beautiful architecture on "Gnarly Legs" I agree that you would have to PS out the wire... Does make you wonder why not bury them though, eh?

I'm having fun looking at all of the posts and comments... (Ginger, you can be a hoot.) But wow, so many so fast... Seems like I need to be able to get online several times a day to stay on top of the posts...

Here are four of the concepts I came up with over the weekend...

"Monument Methodist Church" -Portsmouth, Virginia

6832318-L.jpg

"Lightship Portsmouth" -Portsmouth, Virginia

6832495-L.jpg

"Life Ring" -Lightship Portsmouth, Portsmouth, Virginia
    6832547-L.jpg

"Cannons" -Portsmouth, Virginia

6834576-L.jpg
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Rutt... "RuTT's BuTT"--Great catch on the lines and curves... You really are on target there!

Pathfinder... Beautiful architecture on "Gnarly Legs" I agree that you would have to PS out the wire... Does make you wonder why not bury them though, eh?

I'm having fun looking at all of the posts and comments... (Ginger, you can be a hoot.) But wow, so many so fast... Seems like I need to be able to get online several times a day to stay on top of the posts...

Here are four of the concepts I came up with over the weekend...

"Monument Methodist Church" -Portsmouth, Virginia

"Lightship Portsmouth" -Portsmouth, Virginia

"Life Ring" -Lightship Portsmouth, Portsmouth, Virginia

"Cannons" -Portsmouth, Virginia

ginette
    Hi Ginette.. I really like the Lightship Portsmouth and the Meth Church window. I thought the ship maybe said more about curves and lines for me, the window maybe said more about light? just my free associating again:D
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    I've been offline for a few days, I have to go back and see what everyone as posted. That one up there looks pretty nice. :) Here's a couple that I snagged this weekend in Portsmouth, NH. Comments welcome. Thanks!

-Doug

Hi Doug, I think out of the two shots I like the dashboard the best. I think it maybe could do with a little curving and contrast maybe.. just a tad. I'ts a wee bit faded. I quite like the concept of the lines and curves in it though.:D
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    I believe it's time to jump into the forum. I went to Santa Fe last weekend and returned to find my dog very ill. Now with that under control I will post some pics and add some comments.

LANDING
    Hi Sandy, welcome back. HOpe doggie is well again now. Your shot of the wing and winglet is a different take on lines and curves.. knowing your shots I think you may be able to do better.:D
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I played with vignetting, too. Whaddya think?

6812359-L.jpg
    Sid I really like this, I think Path is right the burn is a little harsh (did Ansel Adams really say that??) I like this version better than the later one that you cropped. I hate to say this tho.. but I'm forced to cos it's you Sid.. YCDB.
    and ya know what that means..:D
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    The Man In Black: I have been a Johnny Cash fan
    Just about all my life. Driving three hours to Charleston every Sunday night, so I would be here for school Monday morning, I would belt out "I walk the Line", or whatever Cash song was playing, and there always was one.

This might not be obvious as curves and lines, I can certainly see the lines,
    and I thought I was thrown a "curve" when I was told that I was not allowed to photograph in the Barnes and Noble. I guess they thought I was steeling Johnny Cash. I don't know if this is the one with noise in it, or not. (Noise, hehe)
    6837529-L.jpg

You might prefer it in color, the man in black. I call it, hate to do it, but I don't think he would mind, I call it, "On The Shelf".

6837554-L.jpg

Photography by ginger
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Anything?????
    Definitely spock.. I like this for lines and curves. Good job!clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    6837529-S.jpg

Might win a Nobel Prize, but you still fail WW I term paper assignment with this one, IMHO.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    Another mediocre attempt...

6821991-L.jpg
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 2, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    6837529-S.jpg

Might win a Nobel Prize, but you still fail WW I term paper assignment with this one, IMHO.
    I second Rutt's call here... cool shot, but (to use our new term) not on message.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Hey I just managed to get on message. Curves and lines, right? Well, and sex for wow.

I think that means it's working.
    I like where this is going, and I recall someone else mentioning - B&W, I think thats the ticket for this shot. The colors steal me away from the curves (e hem, yeah right) but you know what I mean.

Or how bout a slightly closer crop? Less beach and less lower thigh. Simplify, simplify!
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    The Term Paper is On the Board, for better or worse,
    Here is another term paper, ............... not as good, but the d thing curves, etc. This is before I became public enemy #1.

Kinda subtle, but if someone would loan me their crayon, I can point out the curve and the lines.

6837531-L.jpg

or

6837534-L.jpg

I did have a better black and white copy, but it wouldn't download, I suspect I need to flatten the layers. But here it is, the curve is more obvious in the color one, if it is at all obvious.

I have to go feed the dogs, think I would prefer the Grammy, or whatever.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Here is another term paper, ............... not as good, but the d thing curves, etc. This is before I became public enemy #1.

Kinda subtle, but if someone would loan me their crayon, I can point out the curve and the lines.

I did have a better black and white copy, but it wouldn't download, I suspect I need to flatten the layers. But here it is, the curve is more obvious in the color one, if it is at all obvious.

ginger
    work on that BW some more... I think you lost some curve in your conversion. The bottom of the one bookcase there leaves a nice curve shadow in the carpet. In BW it got so dark that it went away.
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Remember someone else who did that? Snapple showed us and then Andy said great shot, but you had to show me the lines and curves. As people have been saying to me, there are lines and curves here, but the shot is not about lines and curves.

Your earlier shots were much more on message. This is a very nice shot, but I think Andy is saying that it has to scream lines and curves. This one doesn't.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    So we're harping on the subject matter here... there are strong lines in this image, but the curves (in the clouds) are subtle. Does this one have a chance? I have some work to do with the conversion - it was hard as heck, shot at night, high ISO so high noise, but the end effect is neat...

2004-07-31.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I second Rutt's call here... cool shot, but (to use our new term) not on message.
    See I like it so well, I don't care. Just wanted to share, and I do love looking at it.

You guys are going nuts with this message thing.

I will give you a hint: monotone, not your interest, not because you happen to be there, but go where the curves and lines are, or notice them on your way, because they probably won't be where you are going.

Rutt, don't, please, don't cut her leg off. Good gosh, whoever said that must not be a leg connoiseur.

Get the bathing suit off and backlight her, no girl, just curves, but you won't have any lines, except the ones you use to get the bathing suit off.

Oh, right on with the simplify, though, watch those backgrounds. And buttresses, and thick lines that can't be cloned out.

Gotta feed the animals, they are starting to morph into frightening beasts.

ginger

Rutt, the heck with what Andy wants, I would love to see those places he is talking about your going to shoot.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Get the bathing suit off and backlight her, no girl, just curves, but you won't have any lines, except the ones you use to get the bathing suit off.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

or

ginger
    I like the color version Ginger.. also, say hi to the dogs.. I miss mine.Mary Chapel and Skye. xx
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    So we're harping on the subject matter here... there are strong lines in this image, but the curves (in the clouds) are subtle. Does this one have a chance? I have some work to do with the conversion - it was hard as heck, shot at night, high ISO so high noise, but the end effect is neat...
    Is is neat Erik.. very neat.. It has lines but I would never have seen the curves. You don't have to have both tho ya know... if you don't want to. I just looked at it again and I like it.:D
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Remember someone else who did that? Snapple showed us and then Andy said great shot, but you had to show me the lines and curves. As people have been saying to me, there are lines and curves here, but the shot is not about lines and curves.

Your earlier shots were much more on message. This is a very nice shot, but I think Andy is saying that it has to scream lines and curves. This one doesn't.
    Hey, leave me alone, I am just playing. My dogs are hungry now, but I can get pretty nasty, too. In fact with what is going on here, my own husband goes to the store for a paper and it takes him hours. I am not in a pleasant mood, but my shot is up, can't I put some up that are at least as off topic as the rest of you are.

You gotta get it, shoot a pretty picture! Or something urban, urban is Andy's thing. But only if you know urban. Shoot something the judge likes. Andy is not the really bad guy. The other one is, because all he has to go on is the assignment.

Andy, I would like to clarify this, most of yours, if not all, could be said to have both lines and curves. Is that one of the criteria, you said it wasn't, but I am thinking about now that it is.

If Rhett were to shoot an artistic nude, with curves galore, or maybe a luxurious "big" nude, with lots of curves, is that on topic, or ..........

don't make me say it.

Do there have to be lines, too?

ginger

I think there is some confusion. I was just playing with Johnny Cash. I take a gazillion pictures, if I have a camera in my hand. When the guy told me to go away, I was definitely taking the picture with me. And the curved bookcase lacks WOW, but I am the type photographer who has to "warm" up on any given day, to a better shot. And some days go better than others, but I definitely shoot mediocre, before I shoot good, and the guy kicked my
    A@# out of there, or my camera anyway.
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    I had sand on the sensor, the parachute would not keep still and I thought I was shooting RAW not JPEG. so not much went right for me but for what it's worth... let me know

6840014-L.jpg