Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    I had sand on the sensor, the parachute would not keep still and I thought I was shooting RAW not JPEG. so not much went right for me but for what it's worth... let me know
    WOW!!!! is what I think!!! fantastic shot as far as I'm concerned Stan.. I absolutely love it. Wow again..clap.gifthumb.gif
    Hey! I just realized you come from Cambridge! used to be my stomping ground, lived in Willingham just down the road.. Buchanan's Farm, brother is still a pilot round there.. fancy that.. and you being such a talented photographer as well. Go to the Black Bull in Willingham and have my brother Andrew buy you one..tell him Lynny sent you 1drink.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 2, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Is is neat Erik.. very neat.. It has lines but I would never have seen the curves. You don't have to have both tho ya know... if you don't want to. I just looked at it again and I like it.:D
    well thanks, and I kinda thought so too about the lines and curves. But since you were the only one to respond so far, do you like it better than the mini/parking lot shot?
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Hey, leave me alone, I am just playing. My dogs are hungry now, but I can get pretty nasty, too. In fact with what is going on here, my own husband goes to the store for a paper and it takes him hours. I am not in a pleasant mood, but my shot is up, can't I put some up that are at least as off topic as the rest of you are.

You gotta get it, shoot a pretty picture! Or something urban, urban is Andy's thing. But only if you know urban. Shoot something the judge likes. Andy is not the really bad guy. The other one is, because all he has to go on is the assignment.

Andy, I would like to clarify this, most of yours, if not all, could be said to have both lines and curves. Is that one of the criteria, you said it wasn't, but I am thinking about now that it is.

If Rhett were to shoot an artistic nude, with curves galore, or maybe a luxurious "big" nude, with lots of curves, is that on topic, or ..........

don't make me say it.

Do there have to be lines, too?

ginger

I think there is some confusion. I was just playing with Johnny Cash. I take a gazillion pictures, if I have a camera in my hand. When the guy told me to go away, I was definitely taking the picture with me. And the curved bookcase lacks WOW, but I am the type photographer who has to "warm" up on any given day, to a better shot. And some days go better than others, but I definitely shoot mediocre, before I shoot good, and the guy kicked my
    A@# out of there, or my camera anyway.
    geezus ginger! by my count thats the 3rd "my dogs are hungry" post... get out of here or we'll hear about a dog mauling on CNN tomorrow.
    rolleyes1.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    DoctorIt wrote:
    well thanks, and I kinda thought so too about the lines and curves. But since you were the only one to respond so far, do you like it better than the mini/parking lot shot?
    Well now.. I'm kinda partial to minis, having raced coopers in my younger days (when they were first out and had guts) so I do kinda like the mini but I like this latest one too. I think you need more opions than mine if you are not sure. I think for the lines and curves the mini probably has it.. I can't really see the curves part of the clouds unless you can bring them out a bit.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    I'm so busy answering posts I can't get one in rolleyes1.gif methinks this may be too "busy" but I thought I'd throw it up for grabs...
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I'm so busy answering posts I can't get one in rolleyes1.gif methinks this may be too "busy" but I thought I'd throw it up for grabs...

Good soft vertical lines, with the water curving a path for the eye to follow into the photo. Very viewable, if that's a word headscratch.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    Good soft vertical lines, with the water curving a path for the eye to follow into the photo. Very viewable, if that's a word headscratch.gifclap.gif
    yeah but I keep going back and looking at that parachute... I love that shot..hey! dont' forget to go to the Black Bull and con a pint off my brother will you.. show him that shot and he'll buy you one before you can askrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    WOW!!!! is what I think!!! fantastic shot as far as I'm concerned Stan.. I absolutely love it. Wow again..clap.gifthumb.gif
    Hey! I just realized you come from Cambridge! used to be my stomping ground, lived in Willingham just down the road.. Buchanan's Farm, brother is still a pilot round there.. fancy that.. and you being such a talented photographer as well. Go to the Black Bull in Willingham and have my brother Andrew buy you one..tell him Lynny sent you 1drink.gif

And I thought you were a welsh beauty queen rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Its so easy to get the wrong impression of people :D I live the other side of Cambridge but will be sure to visit when I pass. My agronomist lives there
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    yeah but I keep going back and looking at that parachute... I love that shot..hey! dont' forget to go to the Black Bull and con a pint off my brother will you.. show him that shot and he'll buy you one before you can askrolleyes1.gif

1drink.gif1drink.gif1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    Stan wrote:
    And I thought you were a welsh beauty queen rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Its so easy to get the wrong impression of people :D I live the other side of Cambridge but will be sure to visit when I pass. My agronomist lives there
    Your agrowatsit is probably my brother.. and I am a Welsh Beauty Queen as well, born in Wales so have all the mystical powers but dragged to the fens against my will and forced into farm labour. Any way I wont clog up this thread anymore with my heritage.. great shot Stan bowdown.gif
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    43 pages.. oy
    how is one supposed to keep up? You people need to take a break and go shoot some pictures :-P
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    screams and whispers
    rutt wrote:
    Remember someone else who did that? Snapple showed us and then Andy said great shot, but you had to show me the lines and curves. As people have been saying to me, there are lines and curves here, but the shot is not about lines and curves.

Your earlier shots were much more on message. This is a very nice shot, but I think Andy is saying that it has to scream lines and curves. This one doesn't.

i'm *not* saying that it must scream at all. subtle whispers are okay and often quite pleasing.

cheers ---
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    lynnma - the esssssssss curve water
    lynnma wrote:

you are sooo close here. love the ess curve. can you mess with it in post and feature the water more and the grass less? a real challenge ... i know ... try putting it up in cletus' dd assignment, which is exactly what this week's assignment is!
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i'm *not* saying that it must scream at all. subtle whispers are okay and often quite pleasing.

cheers ---
    OK, now I'm really really frustrated. My reflection shot has more than subtle whispers of reflections, but didn't scream reflections and didn't make the finals, but you said it would win wide angle. My child portrait had plenty of lines and curves and you said they weren't strong enough. I saw the lines and curves in Snapple's shot; I'd even say they were stronger than whispers. So I thought I'd learned that a whisper is not OK. I thought I had learned the lesson you were teaching, but apparently not.

Please impart more wisdom.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    you are sooo close here. love the ess curve. can you mess with it in post and feature the water more and the grass less? a real challenge ... i know ... try putting it up in cletus' dd assignment, which is exactly what this week's assignment is!
    Hmmm really? I liked it but was unhappy with it also...ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    ************ i'm gonna say it again ****************
    rutt wrote:
    OK, now I'm really really frustrated. My reflection shot has more than subtle whispers of reflections, but didn't scream reflections and didn't make the finals, but you said it would win wide angle. My child portrait had plenty of lines and curves and you said they weren't strong enough. I saw the lines and curves in Snapple's shot; I'd even say they were stronger than whispers. So I thought I'd learned that a whisper is not OK. I thought I had learned the lesson you were teaching, but apparently not.

yeah, whisper, scream, both can work. just look at most fine photography. seriously, there are great examples of both.

when we judge the photos for finalists, they are judged against each other and against the theme. this is important. in the last challenge, there also weren't 10 finalists becuase there were only like 16 entries or something close to it.

here's a "whisper" of a reflection, courtesy of elliott erwitt:
    1654104-M-2.jpg

here's a scream of a reflection, by me:
    1555768-M.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    yeah, whisper, scream, both can work. just look at most fine photography. seriously, there are great examples of both.

when we judge the photos for finalists, they are judged against each other and against the theme. this is important. in the last challenge, there also weren't 10 finalists becuase there were only like 16 entries or something close to it.

here's a scream of a reflection, by me:
    1555768-M.jpg

Andy, I have been meaning to ask, in another place, could you please do a tutorial, even a paragraph, on that photograph. There are three elements, as I see it, and the fact that there are three, the third being the "in focus" music stand, is confulsing to me. Since I would like to take that shot, hahah, I would love to know what is straight on, what is the reflection, and if any of it was done in post.

I think the bldg is a reflection, maybe the music stand is not, but the doll?, where would that reflection come from? I am just stuck on that photo, I love it. I have seen that famous mirror shot before, in my younger days, it took awhile to come back to me. I have seen others this person did, it is a distinctive style, and I didn't like it. But I love your reflection "screaming" photo.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    rutt wrote:

Rutt I like your photo a lot however my 9 year old daughter looked
    quizzically at me and asked" Dad Why would anyone take a picture of half a bum?"rolleyes1.gif

Challenge photography .. its all about nailing it eek7.gif Um er I mean finding what your audience /judges want.Taste can be fickle. A popular vote might find your "Bikini lines and curves" an awesome take on the subject. However a discerning eye might be looking for something else.
    I think we have to put our best effort forward and thats it . I dont think we should ask judging to much of rules and of their perception.

Your photos kick ass dude(pardon the pun) but asking the judge to totally define his taste or prerequisites sort of defeats the purpose of the challenge.
    IMO.

PS this is the most half assed thing I have ever spouted off on rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    Tim
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Rutt I like your photo a lot however my 9 year old daughter looked
    quizzically at me and asked" Dad Why would anyone take a picture of half a bum?"rolleyes1.gif

Challenge photography .. its all about nailing it eek7.gif Um er I mean finding what your audience /judges want.Taste can be fickle. A popular vote might find your "Bikini lines and curves" an awesome take on the subject. However a discerning eye might be looking for something else.
    I think we have to put our best effort forward and thats it . I dont think we should ask judging to much of rules and of their perception.

Your photos kick ass dude(pardon the pun) but asking the judge to totally define his taste or prerequisites sort of defeats the purpose of the challenge.
    IMO.

PS this is the most half assed thing I have ever spouted off on rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    Tim

Shakey, I love your post!

Rutt, how could you go ahead and post that shot, or any other. We are going to lose our "fun"!

I must say, and I hate to, I am straight, I think that is one H of a sexy photograph. Am I picking up on the feelings of the photographer? Nah, it is just one H of a sexy photograph. I know there are lines in the bathing suit, et al, but Curves is the name I would have given that shot.

ginger

OK, next............... I really would like to have fun here. Rutt pulled out, good gosh, can't say nothin' with that photo in mind.rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    Shakey wrote:

but asking the judge to totally define his taste or prerequisites sort of defeats the purpose of the challenge.
    IMO.

You're probably right. I've entered the half assed thing and now I'm going to chill and work on some other projects that are less competitive.

But the dgrin challenges are just trying to become something worthwhile. So far they are very valuable (at least to me) because there is so much useful feedback. That's the thing we have now, compared to other online photo sites. But our group is small, and we don't have a lot of history. So this is an exciting time, a pioneering time. Part of that fun is contributing to defining how we do things. I've been helping myself to a little of that fun. But it's probably been too much of a good thing.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    after you enter, do what ginger does ....
    keep shooting and posting lines n curves! and keep helping others. and, most importantly, go and recruit some new folks. find the orphans and other posts in "shots" that have gotten a few or 0 replies, and respond to them. encourage them to lurk here in this challenge, and/or participate, and for sure to get in on the next one!

rutt- i'm so glad you are learning and find this worthwhile. we're going to keep this format for a while. pioneering - i like that. well, let's get some more cowboys and girls on this here trail ride! we've got horses (lynnsite) and half-butted, half-nekkid women! what an adventure!

your benevolent host has spoken....
    rutt wrote:
    You're probably right. I've entered the half assed thing and now I'm going to chill and work on some other projects that are less competitive.

But the dgrin challenges are just trying to become something worthwhile. So far they are very valuable (at least to me) because there is so much useful feedback. That's the thing we have now, compared to other online photo sites. But our group is small, and we don't have a lot of history. So this is an exciting time, a pioneering time. Part of that fun is contributing to defining how we do things. I've been helping myself to a little of that fun. But it's probably been too much of a good thing.
  • Options
    edited August 2, 2004
    i'm o.o.p. on tuesday
    heading to beantown for the day. jam-packed from 8am on so i don't expect to be online much, if at all.

play nice together, y'all!
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    andy wrote:
    heading to beantown for the day. jam-packed from 8am on so i don't expect to be online much, if at all.

play nice together, y'all!
    Would you like to meet for coffee or drinks? There are a lot of us here in Beantown.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Shakey, I love your post!

Rutt, how could you go ahead and post that shot, or any other. We are going to lose our "fun"!

I must say, and I hate to, I am straight, I think that is one H of a sexy photograph. Am I picking up on the feelings of the photographer? Nah, it is just one H of a sexy photograph. I know there are lines in the bathing suit, et al, but Curves is the name I would have given that shot.

ginger

OK, next............... I really would like to have fun here. Rutt pulled out, good gosh, can't say nothin' with that photo in mind.rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

:roll
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 2, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I agree with Jim (aka Pathfinder) that the arm is a distracting element. I didn't like it when I was shooting, but I couldn't get her to stand comfortably with it out of the way. So here is the first move, PS the arm away:

6823930-L.jpg

Better or worse? I think better and more sexy (in this case more sexy equals better.) Am I right?

OK, now there is the issue of the background. Both Sid and Jim think it's distracting and I do agree. But I want a little context. She is at the beach and she is looking out at the ocean. But maybe the sand isn't working. No lines and curves there, really either. So what about losing the sand and keeping the waves:

Watch for a PS post. (And/or an appeal to the pros at FM and Dan Margulis' CT mailing list.)
    \

John - Have you forgotten our discussion of how to change a background, by cloning in a new one? Instead of trying to arm wrestle this poor quality background into shape, why not just clone in a nice Hawaiian beach scene with an azure ocean behind it?

This is not documentary photography, but how to make Rutt's Butt look good! Nothing like a nice Hawaiian beach for that thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2004
    Looks can be deceiving... May not be what you think...
    Wow... Like I said earlier... this challenge is moving with all of the comments. Really have to work to keep up.

• STAN: I had sand on the sensor, the parachute would not keep still and I thought I was shooting RAW not JPEG. so not much went right for me but for what it's worth... let me know
    STAN... WoW on the parachute... Great lines, great curves, but what really makes it IMHO is the lighting. Very nicely done.thumb.gif

• Lynn: methinks this may be too "busy" but I thought I'd throw it up for grabs...
    Lynn... I like your water scene... I caught the vert. lines and the gentle curve of the creek... Also like the smooth surface of the water... Hmm, another reflection?clap.gif

Here are two copies of what I've been working on today... I'm fairly happy with the results, (although I realize that it may cause a few raised eyebrows at first. Things are often not what they may appear to be at first glance...)
    I am fairly certain that I prefer the tri-tone image... But I would really appreciate comments on this.

ginette

Color

6855876-L.jpg

Tri-Tone

6855878-L.jpg
    "RoRy's Bum"
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    I like it, especially the curve of the water.

lynnma wrote:
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Another one......
    lines7.jpg

This has a lot of promise, Spockling. Those color bands are very interesting. The curvy path leading up to them is almost too much! It needs some tweaking and a minor cropping, IMHO, but has the makings of an excellent final product. Nice work. Where'd you shoot it?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    Ginger, this one is for you...
    You said, because of where I live, I can *just* go out and find two hills and I would have a curve. Well, It's not quite as easy as you might think, but here it is.

Sunrise

6849829-M.jpg

Even though I really need some rest, I just couldn't stop myself from taking pictures. I'm still hanging in there. :)
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2004
    This is really a terrible photograph...
    But, it looked like a good subject from far away and I took a shot anyway. I cropped this out of a much larger picture. I had zoomed in as far as I could go and took it in TIFF format, but there is still not enough resolution. Maybe I can get back before the end of the week. It's not too far from the office. I'll have to figure out how to get up close.
    Lots of lines here -

Steps

6853680-M.jpg
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog