1111213141517»

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    rutt wrote:

My 8 cents. :D
    Your 8 cents are worth a lot to me. Thanks. I took Damon and your advice. It really was the same advice I gave Sid. The postcard shot was a perfect postcard shot, but so what. FTITCTAJ, right?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Well it's after 12.. these challenge results are gonna be so interesting. Such great shots from everyone. Seems to me everyone is trying harder and harder at each challenge and getting better and better. And yer know what?? yes there will be an ulitmate winner and he or she or it will deserve it completely but we are all winners in this forum.. we win at every hard earned shot.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

good luck all :D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Whoever is out there, I have 4 very different candidates that I like for different reasons. They are so different. I need some advice in the next 40 minutes or so:

Lighthouse self portrait:

7272647-S.jpg

The Optimist:

7506155-S.jpg

Miller Time for the Nantucket Commercial Fishing Fleet:

7594496-S.jpg

Old South Warf:

7594502-S.jpg

Sarah's Hair:

7652112-S.jpg
    Rutt - I prefer the Old S outh Warf - nice colors. Sarah's hair is cute, but not sustaining to me.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Rutt - I prefer the Old S outh Warf - nice colors. Sarah's hair is cute, but not sustaining to me.

It would have been my second choice, but I opted for the more personal statement. You know, in the end it came down to choosing the shot I felt closest to.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    I like this .I also like the iso 800 which gives it such a perfect grain ala Film quality.
    7634612-S.jpg

Well done awsome picture.thumb.gif

Tim
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Sid, I just had a thought. On the baseball stadium, you can reshoot it, you certainly know how, and enter it in something else, if you need a last minute shot.

ginger (Things that don't move can be reshot, people are never the same again, nor sunsets, etc............ If in doubt hold back the ones that will be there, and go with the ones that won't.)

I personally am very tired, emotionally.
    Tried to start out with songs this am, my car wouldn't start, walked to a creek, it was a loss............
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Whew!! Oh my!!
    Everyone,

I guess I missed all the excitement.

Rutt, you posted your entry minutes before the deadline. That's really taking a chance. What if your DSL, satalite, or whatever went down? What if your post didn't work for some reason? Whew, you made it. FWIW, I would have made the same choice. That's been my favorite shot from the start.

Ginette, I'm just floored by your beautiful portrait of your son. Great shot. And last minute too.

Lynne, I love your new picture of your horse. It has all the qualities of the previous one with the same pose, but even much better.

Lynn, I'm sorry about your last minute forced change, but your final entry is wonderful. It's more unique than the first one. Those placid lake shots are kind of postcard. Anyway, just trying to make you feel better. Frame the first one and hang it on your wall.

Doug, good choice. Would have been my recommendation, FWIW.

Sid, good choice also, and I especially love the title.

Spockling, you worked real hard on your shot and it shows. Excellent job. Nice black and white work.

In a way, I'm glad I didn't have as much time to shoot this challenge. I didn't end up with that last minute choice. I don't think I like that much tension, my blood pressure surely can't take it.

I love all the entries, I really mean that. I will have a hard time voting no matter which are the finalists. Good luck all. clap.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Rutt, translation please...
    Is it printable? I may be dense, but what do the letters stand for? FTITCTAJ, and FEITCTAJ.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Is it printable? I may be dense, but what do the letters stand for? FTITCTAJ, and FEITCTAJ.
    Not exactly G rated. F_ Them If They Can't Take A Joke or F_ 'Em If They Can't Take A Joke. I think it was the motto of a place I once worked (that didn't exactly end up on the A list.)
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Rutt, sorry old man, I posted and ran to work. I'm afraid I'm getting back to you too late to help.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Not exactly G rated. F_ Them If They Can't Take A Joke or F_ 'Em If They Can't Take A Joke. I think it was the motto of a place I once worked (that didn't exactly end up on the A list.)
    rolleyes1.gifrofl rolleyes1.gif Rutt!!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited August 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Fire Them if they Can't Take a Joke??? Seems kind of severe, Rutt. No wonder you were unhappy there!!rolleyes1.gif:Drolleyes1.gif

Do you REALLY think this is better than the sepia tone one I posted?
    7410087-M.jpg

And there is nothing wrong with taking postcard pictures if that is what you like to do - I certainly do like too clap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Fire Them if they Can't Take a Joke??? Seems kind of severe, Rutt. No wonder you were unhappy there!!rolleyes1.gif:Drolleyes1.gif
    Actually it was the most fun job I ever had. Silicon Graphics in the early 90s. I can take a joke. And if I'd meant "fire", I would have written it instead of "f_".
    pathfinder wrote:
    Do you REALLY think this is better than the sepia tone one I posted?
    7410087-M.jpg
    I had something more like this in mind:

7662174-L.jpg

But I still like the first vertical graveyard shot. You have to be careful shooting graveyards, though. Leads to meloncholia. But the real problem with graveyards in sepia is that that's what everyone thinks of.
    PATHFINDER wrote:

And there is nothing wrong with taking postcard pictures if that is what you like to do - I certainly do like too clap.gif
    I agree. If you can get a postcard as good as Penelope's, well that's a hoot, isn't it? I loved my Old South Warf postcard this time. It really was a finger twitch away from being my entry. But I think it was cool that I picked a more "edgy" shot and that it made the finals.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I agree. If you can get a postcard as good as Penelope's, well that's a hoot, isn't it? I loved my Old South Warf postcard this time. It really was a finger twitch away from being my entry. But I think it was cool that I picked a more "edgy" shot and that it made the finals.

Rutt; you do know what i meant earlier, right? I thought it was a wonderfull picture, but the window shot is a league of it's own..this one could not be mistaken for somebody elses!

I find it a tough challenge developing my own style. Something i would like to get rid of is that postcardstyle, of mine that is, but i bring that opinion with me when i comment on somebody elses work, and are more drawn to the edgy work.

I agree, there certainly is nothing wrong with it, if that's what you like to do. (I wish it paid for my new D70 i got today!) :D
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    Good luck to all the finalists, I haven't had time to keep up with the thread let alone take pictures, anyway I did't want to get my camera wet. The weather is awful here :cry

'Song titles', not sure I thought that through when I posted the idea, it's huge headscratch.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Rutt; you do know what i meant earlier, right? I thought it was a wonderfull picture, but the window shot is a league of it's own..this one could not be mistaken for somebody elses!

I find it a tough challenge developing my own style. Something i would like to get rid of is that postcardstyle, of mine that is, but i bring that opinion with me when i comment on somebody elses work, and are more drawn to the edgy work.

I agree, there certainly is nothing wrong with it, if that's what you like to do. (I wish it paid for my new D70 i got today!) :D

New D70? I bet you are excited, and ready to shoot! Are you finding yourself singing?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    Is every body humming tunes to themselves or is it just me...rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2004
    SeeMoon wrote:
    Thanks for the compliment! I thought it was an incredibly useful critique.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    Guys, I know that Andy would like to see more entries, and I agree completely.

But man oh man, the submissions keep getting better and better. Just look at the quality of the shots that we're voting on. I could easily have voted for three of four different shots. Congrats to whoever wins, but no-one should feel like a loser. The quality is really high. Ya'll should be proud of yourselves. clap.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    I haven't been following this thread or challenge much because I've been swamped, but I just looked at the finalists and voted. Lots of great shots as usual, I ended up voting for Cletus just because of the emotion it captured.

But then I saw the voting results so far... Lynn, I cannot believe that nobody has voted for yours yet. I went back and forth between yours and Cletus' before choosing his. And my 3rd choice was Mitchell's, and he only has one vote so far!

I admit I'm no pro, but I continue to be surprised by the voting in these challenges.headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I haven't been following this thread or challenge much because I've been swamped, but I just looked at the finalists and voted. Lots of great shots as usual, I ended up voting for Cletus just because of the emotion it captured.

But then I saw the voting results so far... Lynn, I cannot believe that nobody has voted for yours yet. I went back and forth between yours and Cletus' before choosing his. And my 3rd choice was Mitchell's, and he only has one vote so far!

I admit I'm no pro, but I continue to be surprised by the voting in these challenges.headscratch.gif
    rolleyes1.gif I'm used to it DJ... no one ever does, well maybe one or two in the past. I'm going to start voting for myself (I never do, obviously) so at least it wont look quite so sad.. this is my response
    blbl.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif I'm used to it DJ... no one ever does, well maybe one or two in the past. I'm going to start voting for myself (I never do, obviously) so at least it wont look quite so sad.. this is my response
    blbl.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Just be proud you made the first cut and seem to quite often. You shoot great stuff and I hope you have fun doing it. Thats what matters the most.

These challenges are tough. So much great stuff.
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    blbl.gifrolleyes1.gif

I don't vote for my own ever--considered it bad form. Or is it assumed that we'd vote for our own when we make the cut?

Lynne
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2004
    Lynn's only kidding... lol3.gif Bad form, I think, to vote for yourself. But it's a personal choice. No biggie either way.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Lynn's only kidding... lol3.gif Bad form, I think, to vote for yourself. But it's a personal choice. No biggie either way.
    yarp.. iza kiddin.. my sick past life British sense of humor kicking in...:D
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2004
    lynnesite wrote:
    I don't vote for my own ever--considered it bad form. Or is it assumed that we'd vote for our own when we make the cut?

Lynne
    It is actually against the rules...
    Andy wrote:
    7. other rules remain the same:

* in the spirit of good competition, please do not vote for your own photo
    * let your creativity and imagination run wild. any and all photoshop etc :ps is allowed
    * photos must be fresh, shot during the contest period. (exif available)
    * photos must be not longer than 800 pixels on their longest side, and not more than 150K in size (smugmug users please link "medium" size for horizontal photos and "large" size for vertical photos).
    * you must give a unique name to your photo, so everyone can vote on it
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2004
    Well, there you go, then.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Well, there you go, then.
    Right ... I second that...:D