Options

The Car Talk Thread

Comments

• Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Great. That means I can send back the box of fancy lights that just got delivered here to the house, with $600 worth of smoke-colored lights for your current car. You won't be needing them. It's fine, Zach. No problem at all. I could use the $$$, there's a new, obscenely overpriced lens from Canon coming out this month, and I want it, bad. Now, with the $$ from your Christmas gift, it's a no-brainer!
    Coal! you're a generous dad - at least you can heat the house in the winter with coal. I used to get a potato! lol3.gif

I had some gasoline driven excitement yesterday. Not a car, but suitable for car-talk... I brought a friend to one of my favorite places yesterday. He came home with this:

114392745-M.jpg

iloveyou.gif

I came home with a sweet new R69S t-shirt for bringing them another customer (I'm easy to please these days), and they sent me out on the demo bike while they signed paperwork.

Wow. Ian, have you experienced this jet-fighter yet? Wow!

Since I have a rather ample garage, I was kind enough to offer my friend space there for the the bad winter weeks. He agreed. naughty.gif

Maybe she can teach my GS a few tricks. lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,916 moderator
    edited December 3, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

I came home with a sweet new R69S t-shirt for bringing them another customer (I'm easy to please these days), and they sent me out on the demo bike while they signed paperwork.

Wow. Ian, have you experienced this jet-fighter yet? Wow!

Since I have a rather ample garage, I was kind enough to offer my friend space there for the the bad winter weeks. He agreed. naughty.gif

Maybe she can teach my GS a few tricks. lol3.gif

I haven't ridden an S. But I did ride this:

k1200gt.jpg

Which is essentially the same thing with bags. Syonara RT is all I have to
    say.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    antriebantrieb Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Great. That means I can send back the box of fancy lights that just got delivered here to the house, with $600 worth of smoke-colored lights for your current car. You won't be needing them. It's fine, Zach. No problem at all. I could use the $$$, there's a new, obscenely overpriced lens from Canon coming out this month, and I want it, bad. Now, with the $$ from your Christmas gift, it's a no-brainer!
    They would still work with any car I would want to get. 3, 5, 7 series of that era.
    Photography runs in my blood :andy

http://zwilliams.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    They would still work with any car I would want to get. 3, 5, 7 series of that era.

Well...if you won't get a 6 get a 7. They've depreciated like nobody's business so I bet you could get something ok for 6k, plus it'd be stylin'.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Too bad, I sent it back because you sold the car :haha
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    And the worst liar in history award goes to....ANDY!
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    And the worst liar in history award goes to....ANDY!
    :nah I'm serious as a heart attack...
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    Totally OT but does anybody know the word for the measure of public opinion of certain jobs (union leaders and lawyers rank very low, teachers and doctors are pretty high), I know there are polls on this, but I can't think of the proper word to google.
    Nevermind, I got it.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    :nah I'm serious as a heart attack...
    Ian, I don't think the lad believes me.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:

I'll put it this way: I didn't know heart attacks are such poor fakers.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    I haven't ridden an S. But I did ride this:

Which is essentially the same thing with bags. Syonara RT is all I have to
    say.
    You know, I can't warm up to the looks of the new GT. While that engine is amazing, I actually much prefer the looks of the RT. Well, that and I realize I don't need all that power - the new R1200 goes plenty fast enough for me. I like to lope around anyway.
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Foolish boy.

Yup 'spike. I think the classic English term is "he's not s*ing you."
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Foolish boy.

Yup 'spike. I think the classic English term is "he's not s*ing you."

I guess we'll know in 22 days.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    You know, I can't warm up to the looks of the new GT. While that engine is amazing, I actually much prefer the looks of the RT. Well, that and I realize I don't need all that power - the new R1200 goes plenty fast enough for me. I like to lope around anyway.

The GS is running better/smoother now. They worked on the steppers
    that control the TB's. But the RT is definitely a goner. I don't ride it as
    much any more. I haven't decided if I'm gonna get something else or
    not.

Like you, I prefer to lope around. The attraction to the GT is more the
    smoothness of the motor than speed. But it is pretty damn fast and it
    is easy, too easy, to find yourself running the triple digits. But I kinda
    like the look of the GT. It grows on you.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Even if I did sell the car (which I won't) the lights would still fit the next car I get. Didn't I say this?

• Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    This is all Teh Smurf is good for these days...

114535132-L.jpg

114535579-L.jpg

114535214-L.jpg

114535369-L.jpg

114535456-L.jpg

"Drifting" around my friends fields. Good times right there.

And a short video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij1ZSnGtj6Q

• Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Even if I did sell the car (which I won't) the lights would still fit the next car I get. Didn't I say this?

See my posts.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    See my posts.
    Except I don't like 6ers.

• Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    This is all Teh Smurf is good for these days...
    Get some farm plates for that thing. lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    antrieb wrote:
    Except I don't like 6ers.

No I mean see my posts about not believing your dad.

And you don't like 6ers????!!!! Andy, did you drop the boy at some point? Probably the only BMW I will ever buy is an M635csi.
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    No I mean see my posts about not believing your dad.

And you don't like 6ers????!!!! Andy, did you drop the boy at some point? Probably the only BMW I will ever buy is an M635csi.
    Meh they just don't do it for me.

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2006
    I haven't really been following this thread, but I need the advice of guys used to nice cars so may I break in for a sec? deal.gif

I just bought a new vehicle, nothing fancy but I'd like to protect the front from the sand and rocks of the upcoming New England winters. Have any of you guys ever used the Xpel paint protection stuff? And if so what did you think of it - was it easy to install? It's not cheap, and I don't want to waste a bunch of money if it isn't worth it...
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    Word to the wise: never install a clearbra yourself. In fact, don't even let an inexperienced professional do it. It's not fun, and it ain't easy. I believe the 3M version is the preferred, but I don't know much about them because the way I see it is who am I saving the car for.
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I haven't really been following this thread, but I need the advice of guys used to nice cars so may I break in for a sec? deal.gif

I just bought a new vehicle, nothing fancy but I'd like to protect the front from the sand and rocks of the upcoming New England winters. Have any of you guys ever used the Xpel paint protection stuff? And if so what did you think of it - was it easy to install? It's not cheap, and I don't want to waste a bunch of money if it isn't worth it...
    I'm with Spike, this stuff is only good if done by trained installers.

How long do you keep cars? Is the showroom finish important to you? The finishes are new cars are pretty durable these days. I just sometimes wonder, why we put so much effort into our daily drivers? It's a car, drive it.

If you want to be good: 2 or 3 times a year, take a saturday to give it a good cleaning and waxing and you're fine (obviously a quick wash as necessary). A can of really good wax will cost you a fraction of what a clearbra will cost, and it'll last the life of the car.

Also, here's the thing about clearbra's and similar products: the clear coating catches all the road crap and scratches, etc. So it very quickly looks dull and crappy. Sure the paint underneath is protected but the car looks bad. Are people that concerned about resale that you will look at a dull car while you own it, only to uncover it so you can say "showroom finish" in the FS ad? I've just never gotten bra's, clearbra's, etc. IMO, you're better off saving your money up front and buying an car with an already beat up paint job.

Sorry for the rant, DJ. It's a snowy yucky morning, got nothin better to do. :D
    Erik

• Options
    edited December 5, 2006
    I keep my cars for 8-10 years generally. I have a '92 Camry right now with 206K on it and it looks great except for the paint chips in the front. No matter how much I've tried to keep after them, they ended up rusting. I do a lot of highway driving and the sandblasting in winter is brutal. This replacement vehicle (Corolla S, 40+ MPGclap.gif) may be a daily driver and I'm not the most anal person around, but I'd like to keep it looking decent just the same.

I can't stand the regular bras for cars, they look stupid AND they trap crap under them. Get a little grit under there and let it rub around a bit in highway driving? No thanks.

I was hoping this would be a better alternative. I haven't heard about how they look after a few years, though they are warranteed for 5 and they are UV protected so they shouldn't yellow. headscratch.gif

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts, guess I have some more investigating to do. thumb.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I was hoping this would be a better alternative. I haven't heard about how they look after a few years, though they are warranteed for 5 and they are UV protected so they shouldn't yellow. headscratch.gif

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts, guess I have some more investigating to do. thumb.gif

Lots of people use them on their 350z's over at zcar.com go ask in the 350Z section on that site to get some peoples opinions.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2006
    Lots of people use them on their 350z's over at zcar.com go ask in the 350Z section on that site to get some peoples opinions.

E46 guys use clear bras a lot too. The nice thing is some can be taken off pretty easily to get a new one applied. The E46 guys with the more permament solutions have had great results too, and they look great (invisible in pictures)
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I keep my cars for 8-10 years generally.

8-10 years? Phsaw. My car we bought new 21 years ago, another one of our cars was bought new 12 years ago, my brothers new 8 years ago, and the final one is a baby at 4 years old. None of them have any end in sight. No bras either. Are the Japanese car makers still not Zinc coating the bodies?

I'll see if I can dig up the post over at the Porsche rennlist where one of the guys who runs a clear bra company that only installs on fleets and offers 3 different brands gave his honest opinion. Though, IIRC he said none of them are good for any longer than their warranty (i.e. soon after warranty goes out they start to yellow and look bad).
  • Options
    edited December 5, 2006
    How do you guys keep car so long?

[Zip, flame suit on]

• Options
    edited December 5, 2006
    8-10 years? Phsaw. My car we bought new 21 years ago, another one of our cars was bought new 12 years ago, my brothers new 8 years ago, and the final one is a baby at 4 years old. None of them have any end in sight. No bras either. Are the Japanese car makers still not Zinc coating the bodies?

I'll see if I can dig up the post over at the Porsche rennlist where one of the guys who runs a clear bra company that only installs on fleets and offers 3 different brands gave his honest opinion. Though, IIRC he said none of them are good for any longer than their warranty (i.e. soon after warranty goes out they start to yellow and look bad).
    :lol Well, I guess New England winters vs. North Carolina must be the difference! The 92's still in good shape other than the chips, and some rust from the inside out at the top of the windshield that seems to be typical on this body style - at least up here...

Thanks for the continuing info, folks.