Options

Show us your mug! Introduce yourself here.

Comments

• Options
    littlebreezelittlebreeze Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    ok just did one...
    meme_sm.jpg

Greetings from the sunny tropics, [SIZE=-1]13 10' North latitude and 59 32' West longitude

[/SIZE]this is the first phot taken of me in months, and damn no makeup either! this is killing the Leo in me.

sorry that photo was huge, still new to the digital thing and sizing can be a problem sometimes.

sorry
    Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you. -Yoda
  • Options
    kara*kara* Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Um... can I skip the self-portrait part? Laughing.gif. But I'll introduce myself. My middle name is Kara and that's what I go by on the forums. I did have another dgrin login but forgot the password and it was showing up on too many google searches for my business name, so I signed up again.

I'm hoping to start a photography business within one or two years. I've only been really obsessed with photography for 2.5 years and I've learned so much. I've been with smugmug for just over a year and I love it. I haven't really posted here but I've taken advantage of the customization threads and they have been really helpful. :)
  • Options
    PiscescaraPiscescara Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 18, 2007
    hey, i'm Cara. An amateur @ best, but that's going to change!:help
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 18, 2007
    Greetings from the sunny tropics.....

Welcome! wave.gif

I see your profile says Barbados. You'll find that you need to fill all the fields above location in your profile in order for your location to show up. Even a "." in them will work, if you want. Do that, and your location will show up on the forum as it's supposed to! :D

Oh, and I like your self-portrait. Looking forward to more posts. clap.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2007
    kara* wrote:
    Um... can I skip the self-portrait part?

No. Get crackin'. :D

wave.gif

But welcome, anyway. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2007
    Piscescara wrote:
    hey, i'm Cara. An amateur @ best, but that's going to change!:help

Hey, Cara. That's why this forum is here. To help photographers improve their craft. Stick around, and you'll find your own craft much improved in a short period of time.

wave.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2007
    I'll stick around. I want to learn as much as i can! Thanks.bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited June 18, 2007
    here is somewhat of a self portrait. Hence on the quote~faith looks up!
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2007
    For some reason i'm having a really hard time turning my bitmap images into something i can attach on here. Advice anyone?
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2007
    Piscescara wrote:
    For some reason i'm having a really hard time turning my bitmap images into something i can attach on here. Advice anyone?

Yes. Take a look at our tutorial, how to post a pic. It's linked in my signature, and it's in the tutorials section linked in the navbar, right below the banner. :D
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    littlebreezelittlebreeze Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Welcome! wave.gif

I see your profile says Barbados. You'll find that you need to fill all the fields above location in your profile in order for your location to show up. Even a "." in them will work, if you want. Do that, and your location will show up on the forum as it's supposed to! :D

Oh, and I like your self-portrait. Looking forward to more posts. clap.gif

Thanks I'll go do just. :D
    Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you. -Yoda
  • Options
    JSDGOLDJSDGOLD Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 20, 2007
    First post and new to this
    Hi all
    This is my first post on this sort of forum and I very well may be making a total mess of it but if you don't try you will get no where, may be some one can help me on the right path.headscratch.gifne_nau.gif

I have placed this photo to show I am real and for those that are not shore which one is me I am the one with cloths on.

Please tell me if I am making a mess of this.
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    JSDGOLD wrote:
    I am the one with cloths on.

Thank you for that.

And welcome! wave.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    Wow, now that's a tough act to follow!

Hello everyone. I'm Lori and I am an amateur photographer currently living in Orange County, California. I happened upon Dgrin while surfing for some lighting info, and I liked it so much I decided to stick around. I was really happy to see so many active people from southern CA, and hope there will be opportunities for get-togethers and shootouts. I have so much to learn, and I'm looking forward to being an active participant.

Spent the past two weeks getting my very first website up and running on Smugmug, now it's on to the customization forum for some assistance in getting the final bugs out since I am completely new to all of this coding. I've only just started filling in some photos, have been mostly trying to work through the structure and make it pretty, but you're welcome to stop by and take a peek at what I've done so far.

I much prefer to stay behind the camera, but in the spirit of settling in I am presenting you with my very first self-portrait taken just for this thread:

165009546-M.jpg
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited June 20, 2007
    Welcome to Dgrin and Smugmug, Lori. wave.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Welcome to Dgrin and Smugmug, Lori. wave.gif
    15524779-Ti.gifwave.gif Welcome Lori and all newcomers of late
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    OffTopic wrote:
    I much prefer to stay behind the camera, but in the spirit of settling in I am presenting you with my very first self-portrait taken just for this thread:

165009546-Ti.jpg

The camera is kind to you, Lori. You should get out in front more often!

Welcome! wave.gif

Yes, we should arrange some socal outings. Many area dgrinners are members of LA Shooters.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    The camera is kind to you, Lori. You should get out in front more often!

Welcome! wave.gif

Yes, we should arrange some socal outings. Many area dgrinners are members of LA Shooters.

Awww, thank you DavidTO. You made me blush!

I will check out LA Shooters, thanks!
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited June 20, 2007
    OffTopic wrote:

He's like that you know :D

Welcome aboard!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 20, 2007
    Hehe, I knew I was going to like it here! Thank you for the warm welcomes, everyone. :D
  • Options
    MommaMiaX3MommaMiaX3 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited June 21, 2007
    Hello, :)

Thought I would take a moment to introduce myself. My name is Angela Marie, my friends call me Ange.

I'm orginally from NY, but have been residing in SW Florida for more years than I care to count!We live on a 20 acre ranch that abuts a 1200 acre wildlife preserve. Also have another home in Western NC Mountains. Which is where I will be in another week! Yippie! I'm 31 and homeschooling mom of three, youngest is 2.

I started becoming interested in photography a couple of years ago. Now I find it to be an addictive passion. I strive to better my technique, and have learned so much from being an active participant of Trek Nature. I've made some amazing friends, that encourage me in so many ways.

I know I will be inspired here as well! Look forward to getting to know you all.

Ciao,
    Ange

This is my only self portrait...also my avatar..
    156190586-Th-1.jpg
  • Options
    BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2007
    I was born and raised in New York City and currently live in the southwest United States. I am professional photographer and photojournalist who practices the craft of photography mainly as a freelancer. I was also the editor and general manager of a major emergency services newspaper on the west coast.

As a traveler, I can ask "where's the bathroom" in fifteen languages and know most of the swear words in six of those languages. mwink.gif When I'm not traveling, I will occasionally photograph a wedding, an emergency services event, and casual portraits.

I like working in both color and black & white. Although my black & white excursions are now limited to tampering with Photoshop. My first love in photography is making photographs of anything concerning the emergency services – fire, police and the emergency medical service.

I am a Master Mason and a former firefighter and EMT on the east coast. I have been making photographs for over fifty years.

Regarding SmugMug.... I had been looking for photo gallery software combined with a shopping cart for a website that I was building. I accidentally stumbled upon SmugMug, signed up for the free trial and became hooked with the pro version. I even signed up before the trial was over. I have to be more disciplined and stop playing around until 2AM every night with the software. Can't get my butt out of bed in the morning. Good thing I'm supposed to be retired.
    http://www.BELphotos.com

"Never leave home without a camera"
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 23, 2007
    OffTopic wrote:

turn and run. run fast. run far. do not turn around. do not look back. eek7.gif

Welcome Lori and all the other recent de-lurkers.

wave.gif
  • Options
    christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    meme_sm.jpg

Greetings from the sunny tropics, [SIZE=-1]13 10' North latitude and 59 32' West longitude

[/SIZE]this is the first phot taken of me in months, and damn no makeup either! this is killing the Leo in me.

sorry that photo was huge, still new to the digital thing and sizing can be a problem sometimes.

sorry

Wow! what a beautiful photo. The colours and tones and fantastic. Love it! Welcome.
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • Options
    carrollbcarrollb Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Intro
    I had this intro up for a couple of days but took it down until I had time to revise it. I didn't include my mug shot in the original post but after going back and looking at it I figured I had an obligation to properly introduce myself; so here I am!

I'm a serious amateur photographer from the Shreveport, La. area whose primary interest is in nature but I also like shooting outdoor portraits and events. If you get an opportunity to visit my site you'll see that I also have a couple of wedding galleries that I've posted there; they are to discourage anyone who wants me to shoot weddings! From time to time I get asked to shoot one and I politely refer them to my site to see my work; that usually takes care of that. I also keep a list of local wedding photographers handy for referrals.

I'm twice retired from dual careers; one civilian and the other military. I've acclimated very well to retirement and being resistant to change I have no desire to go back to work...not even for money to buy camera equipment! I'm a member of a local camera club (The Shreveport Photographic Society) and if any of you are interested you can follow the link to visit our web site; don't forget to look at our photo galleries while you are there.

Many thanks to Andy and all of you other D Grinners who have provided the tutorials that make site customization a snap. Actually, I think I like tinkering with my site as much as I do taking pictures.

161348909-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 25, 2007
    Hey CarollB! Now I saw what you had up there the first time before you rewrote it and should've replied then, but don't sell Louisiana short! I lived on the North Shore for a few years and had the opportunity to do some exploring, and that is a gorgeous state. Haha, this northeast girl (and guy) got married in Abita Springs! Some of my favorite photos are from "the swamps", but I wish I had been more serious about my photography when I lived there. I love Louisiana and have such fond memories of my short time there, but too few photos.

Why don't you have any images from Louisiana in your landscape galleries?

Lori
  • Options
    slflashslflash Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    Welcome!
    Welcome Lori,
    I am in SO. OC and would love to get a group of photogs together and plan shootouts. I know there is a group in LA, but I would love to have one down more south. If you are interested please PM me and we can see if we can get some more people interested. Hope to see more of your work.

Sheila
    OffTopic wrote:
    Wow, now that's a tough act to follow!

Hello everyone. I'm Lori and I am an amateur photographer currently living in Orange County, California. I happened upon Dgrin while surfing for some lighting info, and I liked it so much I decided to stick around. I was really happy to see so many active people from southern CA, and hope there will be opportunities for get-togethers and shootouts. I have so much to learn, and I'm looking forward to being an active participant.

Spent the past two weeks getting my very first website up and running on Smugmug, now it's on to the customization forum for some assistance in getting the final bugs out since I am completely new to all of this coding. I've only just started filling in some photos, have been mostly trying to work through the structure and make it pretty, but you're welcome to stop by and take a peek at what I've done so far.

• Options
    ob81ob81 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    True Self-Portrait
    Hello all! Looking forward to contributing to the community. Thanks for all the help thus far!
    114037626_b0123090e3_b.jpg
    ob81.com
    Canon XTi

I don't want to take regular photos!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited June 26, 2007
    Welcome new de-lurking dgrinners... carrollb, and ob81. wave.gif

ob, thats some striking use of selective color there in your portrait! :):
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    carrollbcarrollb Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2007
    OffTopic wrote:
    Hey CarollB! Now I saw what you had up there the first time before you rewrote it and should've replied then, but don't sell Louisiana short! I lived on the North Shore for a few years and had the opportunity to do some exploring, and that is a gorgeous state. Haha, this northeast girl (and guy) got married in Abita Springs! Some of my favorite photos are from "the swamps", but I wish I had been more serious about my photography when I lived there. I love Louisiana and have such fond memories of my short time there, but too few photos.

Why don't you have any images from Louisiana in your landscape galleries?

Lori

Hi, Lori.

I don't have a good answer for you. Until about 2 years ago I shot film and while I still have those images I have no interest in scanning them; guess I'll just have to go back and re-shoot La. I did some shooting down at Melrose Plantation in March and have a couple of shots from there on the club site.

Photographically Louisiana has a lot to offer but let me see if I can create a mental image for you. Imagine, if you will, a lush green field (not unlike the grass farms in Abita Springs) with a fence running down the middle of it. Now imagine two cows, one on each side of that fence, with their heads stuck through the fence, each straining to get to the grass on the other side. Same grass but it's on the other side of the fence so it must be better, right? We are that way too; I just like shooting on the other side of the fence.

Let's see, northeast girl and guy, married in Abita Springs...is (was) there a Michoud connection?

I went and looked at your site and I really like it; can't see much of your work because of the locks but what I saw was great.