SmugMug Feature Requests #2

Comments

• Options
    deblooisdebloois Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    highest
    jfriend wrote:
    What JPEG quality are you using?
    I convert to JPG using DPP (Canon Raw software), highest quality setting (10) and save in Photoshop (after USM) in highest quality setting (12).
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    debloois wrote:
    I convert to JPG using DPP (Canon Raw software), highest quality setting (10) and save in Photoshop (after USM) in highest quality setting (12).

Photoshop JPEG quality level 12 is overkill for anything on Smugmug. There is no difference in print quality or web viewing between level 10 and level 12 yet level 10 files are 2-3x smaller.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    deblooisdebloois Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Photoshop JPEG quality level 12 is overkill for anything on Smugmug. There is no difference in print quality or web viewing between level 10 and level 12 yet level 10 files are 2-3x smaller.

I see what you mean (especially regarding web viewing), but I also chose Smugmug to have an extra backup of my best-liked photo's.
    As I cannot upload the RAW originals, I'd like to be able to upload the best possible quality JPG version (as a backup).
    The 2-3x difference in filesize implies lost image info in the lower quality, does it not?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    debloois wrote:
    The 2-3x difference in filesize implies lost image info in the lower quality, does it not?
    Not that you'd ever be able to tell, in print or on screen viewing.

Photoshop 10 is considered "lab quality."
  • Options
    mtnbikermtnbiker Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    I know it's already been posted but my request is for the Most Recent Gallery to show the most recent picture first, not last.

Thanks!
    clap.gif
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    mtnbiker wrote:
    I know it's already been posted but my request is for the Most Recent Gallery to show the most recent picture first, not last.

Are you aware that you can change the sort order in your gallery so the most recent uploads show first?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    mtnbikermtnbiker Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    Are you aware that you can change the sort order in your gallery so the most recent uploads show first?

yes but not when doing a most recent gallery...

try these two links

the way smugmug does the most recent gallery....most recent last:
    http://mtnbiker.smugmug.com/date/2007-06-20/2007-07-20

the way smugmug should do the most recent gallery....most recent first
    http://mtnbiker.smugmug.com/date/2007-07-20/2007-06-20
  • Options
    dac1117dac1117 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    full-screen slideshow link on keyword page
    .keywordPage CSS command to display the 172997451-O.jpg button/link on the keyword page template? (http://dcgallery.smugmug.com/keyword/TedAdler). This feature allows users to launch a slideshow fullscreen and in a separate window. thx!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    dac1117 wrote:
    .keywordPage CSS command to display the 172997451-O.jpg button/link on the keyword page template? (http://dcgallery.smugmug.com/keyword/TedAdler). This feature allows users to launch a slideshow fullscreen and in a separate window. thx!
    How 'bout adding the popular page to this also.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Sub-sub categories?
    Sorry, I didn't read through all 28 pages of ideas to see if I'm just repeating--but I'd like to see a deeper director structure to our sites--using sub-sub categories etc.

For example, I shoot a lot of sports. I'd like to be able to have a "lacrosse" category, "team x" subcategory, "2007" sub-subcategory, etc.

I don't know how many levels I'd like to have, but I know I'd like more than just the current two.

If I'm repeating someone else's comment sorry--but then maybe it's just a another vote to move it closer to the top of the list...

Thanks
    Regards

Will
    edited July 22, 2007
    wmstumme wrote:
    Sorry, I didn't read through all 28 pages of ideas to see if I'm just repeating--but I'd like to see a deeper director structure to our sites--using sub-sub categories etc.

For example, I shoot a lot of sports. I'd like to be able to have a "lacrosse" category, "team x" subcategory, "2007" sub-subcategory, etc.

I don't know how many levels I'd like to have, but I know I'd like more than just the current two.

If I'm repeating someone else's comment sorry--but then maybe it's just a another vote to move it closer to the top of the list...

Thanks
    It's been asked before. The reason we don't have it this way is that viewers suffer "click fatigue." We do have lots of cool ways you can organize though. Cool & clever ways to make use of keywords, date, and more. Ask on the customizing forum if you've a mind to get something set up thumb.gif
  • Options
    wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2007
    Andy:

Thanks for the quick answer. Hope your weekend is as nice as it is here in MD.

Appreciate your concern about "click fatigue."

I still think one more level would be extremely helpful--and not wear out our interpid viewers too much. Because of Smugmug's use of images along side each index entry--the experience seems somehow more rewarding at each click than on some competitor's sites I've seen--however they seem to have much deeper directory structures.

My only fatigue with them is that they often have some title-ing (can't seem to spell that word correctly) issues--like old DOS days. Therefore I'm guessing at their cryptic titles -- often incorrectly. Smugmug's real word indexes and pictures along side seem to help alleviate that...

Thanks again.
    Regards

Will
    edited July 23, 2007
    If there isn't this request already. Is it possible if when after I upload the files smugmug would automatically send an email to the client(s)?
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2007
    chrisjlee wrote:
    If there isn't this request already. Is it possible if when after I upload the files smugmug would automatically send an email to the client(s)?
    Hi Chris, thanks for the suggestion. No, it's not possible now, but we've got your request :)

The best thing you can do is send the gallery link to your clients - and you can also suggest that they take advantage of your RSS Feeds.
  • Options
    chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Chris, thanks for the suggestion. No, it's not possible now, but we've got your request :)

The best thing you can do is send the gallery link to your clients - and you can also suggest that they take advantage of your RSS Feeds.

Hmm ok interesting. I'll keep that in mind. Well I think it would be mutually beneficial for smugmug and their clients. Thanks for taking the time and listening Andy!
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options
    steve120steve120 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 23, 2007
    I'm with wmstumme on the more deeply nested sub-categories issue.

Interestingly, my big organizational problem is also with sports. For example:

Sports / Basketball / AAU / 2006-2007 Season / Tournament X / Game N

OK, that can be combined somewhat, but I think its too limiting to be restricted to a single sub-category. Will my visitors be confused by the deep nesting? Perhaps, but I think that should be up to me.
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Repoint instead of Replace
    This request is in the context of the Proof Delayed ordering system...

Would it be possible to provide an option to "Select Alternate Photo" along with the "Replace Photo" we have currently? The scenario is that I sometimes make a specific crop of my image for display, say, to a wide Pano, but then someone orders a 4x6". Currently I can either: send them their order as is with white page above and below OR I can replace the pano with an uncropped original.

The trouble with the replacement in this case is that I lose the original cropped image, which I may prefer for display, rankings, etc. However, if I could upload a new image to a private album and point to it instead the user could get the best possible crop while preserving my original posting.

Seems like the next logical step after allowing us to modify the user's crop and replacing the proof image with another.
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    rdlugosz wrote:
    This request is in the context of the Proof Delayed ordering system...

Would it be possible to provide an option to "Select Alternate Photo" along with the "Replace Photo" we have currently? The scenario is that I sometimes make a specific crop of my image for display, say, to a wide Pano, but then someone orders a 4x6". Currently I can either: send them their order as is with white page above and below OR I can replace the pano with an uncropped original.

The trouble with the replacement in this case is that I lose the original cropped image, which I may prefer for display, rankings, etc. However, if I could upload a new image to a private album and point to it instead the user could get the best possible crop while preserving my original posting.

Seems like the next logical step after allowing us to modify the user's crop and replacing the proof image with another.
    Why not make a second copy of your cropped display photo and then replace the
    orignial in the cart.
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Why not make a second copy of your cropped display photo and then replace the
    orignial in the cart.

That's a good suggestion. I do end up with an extra image in the gallery, but I suppose I could move that one into a hidden gallery.

hm....

Does the copy retain the original's ranking?
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    rdlugosz wrote:
    That's a good suggestion. I do end up with an extra image in the gallery, but I suppose I could move that one into a hidden gallery.

hm....

Does the copy retain the original's ranking?
    The ranking would disappear on the second copy. But you can always boost it
    with and few green thumbs and get it back up there. Use different browsers
    or delete cookies.

I think when it hits the cart the one in the gallery can be deleted, would have
    to verify that though.
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Let us set the name of our homepage!

SmugMug is a confused website. Sometimes it's a community, other times it's a series of unrelated storefronts where professional photographers can display and sell their work.

Flickr is a community type site. My smugmug site is a personal photo sharing website. It's mine, it has it's own domain name, and I'm the only one putting pictures on it. Why are my only choices for naming my homepage (ie the beginning of the breadcrumb) my name or nickname, in various combinations?

How does "pilotdave" signify my homepage to my visitors/customers? I want to call my homepage "Home," as if my site wasn't part of a larger community of photo galleries. I want smugmug to be the company that hosts my photo galleries. I don't want my site to be a part of something larger.

So, I changed the first name I have registered with SmugMug to "Home." It works great, until someone does a search and sees "Home's photos matching..." or whenever else my display name is shown. Will checks be written to "Home ___?"

So basically, I think we should have the option to select a name for our homepage. Seems so simple.

SmugIslands and HelloWorld seems to be a start to allowing us to disconnect from the community aspect of smugmug. I think that needs to be taken a step further. Give us the option to keep searches on our site to within our own site. Then you don't even have to say "Home's photos matching...," you can just say "Photos matching..."

Thanks for listening and sorry if this has been asked a million times before!

Dave
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2007
    pilotdave wrote:
    Let us set the name of our homepage!

SmugMug is a confused website. Sometimes it's a community, other times it's a series of unrelated storefronts where professional photographers can display and sell their work.

Flickr is a community type site. My smugmug site is a personal photo sharing website. It's mine, it has it's own domain name, and I'm the only one putting pictures on it. Why are my only choices for naming my homepage (ie the beginning of the breadcrumb) my name or nickname, in various combinations?

How does "pilotdave" signify my homepage to my visitors/customers? I want to call my homepage "Home," as if my site wasn't part of a larger community of photo galleries. I want smugmug to be the company that hosts my photo galleries. I don't want my site to be a part of something larger.

So, I changed the first name I have registered with SmugMug to "Home." It works great, until someone does a search and sees "Home's photos matching..." or whenever else my display name is shown. Will checks be written to "Home ___?"

So basically, I think we should have the option to select a name for our homepage. Seems so simple.

SmugIslands and HelloWorld seems to be a start to allowing us to disconnect from the community aspect of smugmug. I think that needs to be taken a step further. Give us the option to keep searches on our site to within our own site. Then you don't even have to say "Home's photos matching...," you can just say "Photos matching..."

Thanks for listening and sorry if this has been asked a million times before!

Dave
    I guess I'm a bit confused, because you have a navbar and you've hidden the words "pilotdave" and "home" or "Home" from your homepage via customizing.

ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    pilotdavepilotdave Registered Users Posts: 785 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I guess I'm a bit confused, because you have a navbar and you've hidden the words "pilotdave" and "home" or "Home" from your homepage via customizing.

ne_nau.gif

Yup. I don't need my homepage to say "Home" or "Home's Home" at the top. But every other page has breadcrumbs, which start with "Home >." I wouldn't mind if the breadcrumbs started with my domain name. But I'd like to be able to select from more than my first name, last name, nickname, or a combination of them. I suppose if I remove the breadcrumbs, I don't have this issue. But I like the breadcrumbs.

I don't think it would make sense to my visitors to see the breadcrumbs start with "David >" or "pilotdave >." Makes sense for Flickr or another photo community site. Visitors know they're seeing one user's page of a much larger site. But when visitors come to my site, they think they're on MY site. Why would my homepage be called "David?" Where would clicking on "David" bring them? Home makes more sense to me.

Dave
  • Options
    PBolchoverPBolchover Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    pilotdave wrote:
    But when visitors come to my site, they think they're on MY site. Why would my homepage be called "David?" Where would clicking on "David" bring them? Home makes more sense to me.

As I see it, this is mainly an issue for customised accounts, since standard accounts _are_ within the smugmug branding. And for customised accounts, it _is_ already possible to change the name of the homepage - just view it as part of the customisation.
  • Options
    mlougeemlougee Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2007
    As new school year starts soon... "photorank" for selective groups
    With summer "vacation" for schools more than halfway gone, I'm wondering again about "photoranks" (ie "voting") for selective groups of Smug viewers. I'm thinking about selective groups such as classrooms, schools, club members in a school club, youth-group clubs (scout troop, 4-H County), etc, and how voting by such group members could be useful.

An easy example might be a school camera club letting its members vote on the best submission to that month's photo competition. (Hey, it doesn't need to be a school club, I guess it could be any camera club.) Similarly, a biology class could have a competition for the best frog-in-the-field photo, taken by class members on a field trip to the local swamp. Or a scout troop could have a competition for the best graffiti-cleanup weekend, based on before/after images of the cleanups.

A key aspect for these kinds of votes/photoranks would be that only members of the appropriate group would be allowed to vote (or have their votes tallied?). The owner of the SM account would need to create a list of members, maybe, or perhaps voting would require a password, which the account owner would give to the members?

I know that this idea hasn't been very high on the priority list before, but it seems like a nice tool that might attract "groups" to join Smug, as a group. I wonder if that's a good thing, or whether it's too tangential for Smug's business model. I'd guess if it were technically easy, Smug might have already done it already! If there were some quick-and-dirty strategy to do a half-baked version of group voting, we could watch how much it's utilized, then decide whether to invest more resources and "do it right."

Thanks for listening, again. (PS I wonder if Smuggers would like to vote on their iPhones, to make things even more complex?)
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2007
    Moving to the features request thread :)
    Thanks for the request!
  • Options
    ilya1725ilya1725 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 28, 2007
    Mapping features
    I'm sorry if this question was asked before.

But are there any plans to upgrade the mapping feature a bit?
    The reason I'm asking this is that, in case there is no location data in the photos from the start, it is quite a lot of pain to get the photos on the map manually.
    1. There is no batch feature. As a result, if I made a couple of photos on the same spot I will have to enter the positions to all of them one by one.
    2. What if i don't remember or don't know the name of the place, or the search cannot find it? The default location for the map is Palo Alto and then I have to drag it to the right spot to palce one photo. The same long procedure has to be done for all photos. Will it be possible to have a large map at the top and the photos from the album at the bottom? In this case the user can just drop the photos on the map without having to go through the search procedure every time.
    3. When the great Map It feature is used, how do you guys deside on the zoom level of the map? Is it to show all the album photos or just the first one?
    Thank you,
    -Ilya.
  • Options
    CenterStageLoriCenterStageLori Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    I know it's been asked of you before, but the option of mounted large-sized prints would be lovely.

And I know everyone wants these -- photo books (printing press and bound) and proofbooks (spiral binding).

Thanks for listening.
  • Options
    mattmccmattmcc Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    Request:

Numeric watermarking (in addition to current watermarking).

When enabled, this automatically places a small but clearly visible number in one of the corners, and the numbering is done in auto increments for a gallery. For example, the first picture would be #1 and so on. Would make things much simpler for clients and sellers to communicate.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2007
    Pat wrote:
    is there a way to price a 2nd or 3rd copy of the same print at a reduced price - I have done this in the past when people have ordered 2 copies of the same print and have printed them myself. Have checked the archives, but cannot find anything pertaining to this.
    Thanks S'much
    Pat Witter

OK thanks for the FR thumb.gif
This discussion has been closed.