Options

Shootout '07: Glacier National Park--info/lodging/signup

Comments

• Options
    jdmphotojdmphoto Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'm sorry to say that the shootout is full up. We do have other workshops, like the upcoming workshop in Shenandoah NP.

Bummer:cry
    See my photo's athttp://jdmphoto.smugmug.com/

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    What is the weather shaping up to be there? I have heard both things but I was just wondering if i need to hit up the Under Armor surplus store or not. :D
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2007
    Dean - we are going to the mountains in September...bring clohing for every kind of weather!!! Honestly, I would count on changing weather, because if it isn't changing it may well be totally miserable! or totally beautiful!

I am bringing long underwear, fleeces, rain gear and down jackets. I am bringing hiking boots and shoes, might even throw my sandals in the bag. Of course, I am driving and have the room for it all.

Be prepared, ... remember the scouts motto!

ann
    cwphotos wrote:
    What is the weather shaping up to be there? I have heard both things but I was just wondering if i need to hit up the Under Armor surplus store or not. :D
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    I haven't checked any forecasts, but I'm thinking warm gear is going to be needed.
    I watched some morning show today, they were in Yellowstone with winter coats and gloves on.
    This morning in Northern Minnesota it was 28 degrees.
    I'm bringing more cold weather clothes than I am shorts.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
    edited August 31, 2007
    davev wrote:
    This morning in Northern Minnesota it was 28 degrees.
    I'm bringing more cold weather clothes than I am shorts.

:yikes

For Dave V...

Any reason I shouldn't drive 94 (and save 200 miles) instead of using the "southern" route 90 through SD?

Does 94 close in Sept/ Early Oct. due to snow?

...Thanks...

(remember, I know nothing because I live in always-warm-and-sunny Chicago)
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    :yikes

For Dave V...

Any reason I shouldn't drive 94 (and save 200 miles) instead of using the "southern" route 90 through SD?

Does 94 close in Sept/ Early Oct. due to snow?

...Thanks...

(remember, I know nothing because I live in always-warm-and-sunny Chicago)

I don't think you'll see any snow in Mn at this time of year.
    If you go the northern route you may be in the middle of the fall colors though.

Is there really a 200 mile difference? What was the time difference?
    I have a feeling Mapquest has you running on a bunch of scenic roads that, through mountains, can really slow you down.
    With mapquest from the twin cities to billings the milage is only 60 miles different.
    We're going out the southern route, coming back the northern.
    We'll be making a stop at Devil's Tower and a few other spots along the way. (yellowstone)

I ran the Chicago to Billings route, both south and north through mapquest,
    it comes up with a 8 mile/8 minute difference in the 2 routes.
    I picked Billings because the interstates should be way faster than the 2 laners.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,192 moderator
    edited September 1, 2007
    Dave, thanks for the weather info. I used Expedia Trip Planner for the route planning. The time difference is minimal, as is the gas difference. I will miss much of Rte. 89, which looks to be quite scenic - but also might be a slower drive if I do all of 89. After 3 days in a rental car, I'll just want to get there pronto by that point. I'm staying in Great Falls (probably) the night before - it's about 165 miles away so I should make it to St. Mary mid-day.

The mileage difference comes in due to the angle out of Chicago. I had previously thought heading out I-88, then west on 80, to just before Omaha, going up 29, and then out 90 to 89 (in Montana) might be the best route. It might be more scenic as it heads past Wall Drugs, the Badlands, and Crazyhorse & Mt. Rushmore kinda, but to my surprise that wound up being ~1760 instead of ~1565.

So it looks like heading up 94 to Minneapolis and out 94 most of the way to 200 in MT saves a bit. (Anyone know about 200? Good road? Bad road?) I'll just wear warmer clothing. Hey, I've done the Wall Drugs thing and the monuments, and I don't have a spare day for the Badlands.

Devil's Tower is something I want to experience one of these years.

BTW, if anyone's counting, this is the second Shootout just off Rte. 89.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    CalfeeRiderCalfeeRider Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    ... I'm staying in Great Falls (probably) the night before - it's about 165 miles away so I should make it to St. Mary mid-day.

Hey David, Sharon and I are also planning on spending Monday night in Great Falls (coming up from Yellowstone). Holler if you want to get together and make the Tuesday drive up together - or compare notes on the route. I'll email you my cellphone number.
    Jack

http://www.SplendorousSojourns.com

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Thanks Ann. Time to start packing I think.
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Dean - we are going to the mountains in September...bring clohing for every kind of weather!!! Honestly, I would count on changing weather, because if it isn't changing it may well be totally miserable! or totally beautiful!

I am bringing long underwear, fleeces, rain gear and down jackets. I am bringing hiking boots and shoes, might even throw my sandals in the bag. Of course, I am driving and have the room for it all.

Be prepared, ... remember the scouts motto!

ann
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net
  • Options
    JaravissJaraviss Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    whoever goes to this is in for a treat
    i'm new to this site...but am actually from Browning, Montana...(now relocated to northern california)
    (about 12 miles east of the town of East Glacier, which is the eastern entrance to the park).

beautiful landscapes are waiting for you.

i was just there a few weeks ago, they were suffering from the "skyland" fire.
    when i was there, we couldn't see the sky for 3 days...on the 4th day i packed my kids in the car and made my way to the mountains.

just our luck...the smoke blew away and there was the sun and all of glacier in its glory.

anyway...you'll definately enjoy the scenery.

good luck to all.

p.s. this is my 3rd post tonight...can't sleep...but i'll be around as i learn my way around my new camera.
    p.p.s. on the way back..i drove straight for 19 hours :crazy:

-G

thumb.gif
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    I'm in for both too! I think there's some bison (buffalo) in the area, but not sure exactly where. Wouldn't mind finding them or some big-horn sheep in either in a pre- or post-shootout. mwink.gif
    i'm just lurking this thread...not sure if anyone's answered you yet as i'm only on page 19 or so...

if you exit glacier national park and go east towards Browning, just right outside the park, on the north side of the road (2-lane road) there is a fenced in area....the fence appears to be heavier dutier than the rest..because buffalo are in there.

they're big.

good luck
    -G
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    and they used to "not have a speed limit" for awhile..
    Terrence wrote:
    I really wanted to drive GTTS! Maybe we'll luck out.

I don't think there is much homework to do. If you fly in to Kalispell, you take GTTS or US2 to get to St. Mary. Or...you rent a helicopter :D

The drive around Glacier is about the same time as the drive across according to Google Maps...approximately 110 miles, 2 hours. However, the speed limit in Montana is 75, which means you can do about 85 and get away with it likely and make really good time.

Time for a rental car upgrade to a Mustang!

anyway..not sure if you mean you want to drive that fast from Kalispell to teh park or not...but you definately can not drive that fast in the park....many many curvy windy roads will limit you to 35 mph and even slower in parts.

its a trip to be enjoyed.
    :)

im so excited for all that are going (and jealous too) Laughing.gif

-G
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII
  • Options
    jdmphotojdmphoto Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    Jaraviss wrote:
    anyway..not sure if you mean you want to drive that fast from Kalispell to teh park or not...but you definately can not drive that fast in the park....many many curvy windy roads will limit you to 35 mph and even slower in parts.

its a trip to be enjoyed.
    :)

im so excited for all that are going (and jealous too) Laughing.gif

-G

I don't know how many of you are planning to drive through the park on Going to the Sun road but I'm sorry to say that won't be possible. The Sun road will be closed between Avalanche creek and Siyeh bend as of 10:00pm September 16th for road work. That means Logan pass will be inaccessible by road and Hwy 2 is the only way to get from East Glacier and West Glacier. :cry Sorry but I thought you should know.
    See my photo's athttp://jdmphoto.smugmug.com/

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited September 5, 2007
    Jaraviss wrote:
    i was just there a few weeks ago, they were suffering from the "skyland" fire.
    When you get to Northern CA, be prepared for the Lick fire :D

It's been going since Labor Day and is at eight thousand acres.

It's in South Bay area near the town of Morgan Hill.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2007
    I has been told that getting internet access that week is going to require a few big leaps and hurdles. If anyone more familiar with St Mary's can debunk this information I'll love ya forever. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    I has been told that getting internet access that week is going to require a few big leaps and hurdles. If anyone more familiar with St Mary's can debunk this information I'll love ya forever. rolleyes1.gif
    If it's urgent, you could always use the cell minutes...
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    If it's urgent, you could always use the cell minutes...

True dat. With that many techheads in one location I'm sure something can be figured out in a pinch.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2007
    schmooo wrote:
    True dat. With that many techheads in one location I'm sure something can be figured out in a pinch.
    If you think that might be an option, you will need to find a serial cable for
    your phone.
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2007
    Jaraviss wrote:
    i'm just lurking this thread...not sure if anyone's answered you yet as i'm only on page 19 or so...

if you exit glacier national park and go east towards Browning, just right outside the park, on the north side of the road (2-lane road) there is a fenced in area....the fence appears to be heavier dutier than the rest..because buffalo are in there.

they're big.

good luck
    -G

Hi and welcome! Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure to look for it as it sounds like it'll be close to the St Mary Hotel we're staying at. (right?)
    Jack

Canon 1D Mk II N - Canon 5D - Canon EF 17-40 f/4L USM - Canon EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM - Canon EF 85 f/1.8 USM - Canon EF 100 f/2.8 macro - Canon EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2007
    Hi and welcome! Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure to look for it as it sounds like it'll be close to the St Mary Hotel we're staying at. (right?)

i think from st mary's to east glacier is only like 30 miles (go south on 89)
    windy road....good views, you can go past "two medicine lake"
    then you arrive at east glacier and head east on hwy 2...and as you head east out of town, you'll cross a bridge (narrow...high) and right after you cross...maybe drive 2 or 3 miles? (not far) and you should see some buffalo lounging around on the north side of the road (left side as you head east).

i hope you find time to make this trip, if you do, post some pictures of those wonderful beasts!

good luck
    -G

:D
    equipment:
    canon rebel XTi
    18-55mm lens
    60mm macro lens
    75-300mm telephoto lens
    canon speelite 580 EXII
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Ummmmmmmmmm did I mention that there are only

7 More Sleeps to Goooooo for me clap.gif

... Skippy :Drolleyes1.gif
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Ummmmmmmmmm did I mention that there are only

7 More Sleeps to Goooooo for me clap.gif

... Skippy :Drolleyes1.gif

Hey Skippy! Looking forward to seeing you again! Have a safe trip!
    Jack

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    Ditto! iloveyou.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    TerrenceTerrence Registered Users Posts: 477 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    I can't wait to get out there!

Has anyone thought of where they are going on their day trips yet? I'm studying a topo map and guide book and it all looks awesome.

Jaraviss: Thanks for the tip on buffalo. I really want to get some images of those big boys.
    Terrence

My photos

"The future is an illusion, but a damned handy one." - David Allen
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2007

It will be nice meeting up with you and Sharon Jack :D
    Bring me a cool bug won't ya rolleyes1.gif no don't if your flying.

See you folks soon clap.gif .... Skippy :D

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Ditto! iloveyou.gif

I got a few more days up my sleeve, and I will have access to the net till I actually fly out .... see ya soon Nik :D .... Skippy

• Options
    edited September 7, 2007
    Terrence

Don't plan too much - you will want to hear what Marc, Dave and Andy have planned for each day first.

Buffalo:
    National Bison Range

http://bisonrange.fws.gov

Terrence wrote:
    I can't wait to get out there!

Has anyone thought of where they are going on their day trips yet? I'm studying a topo map and guide book and it all looks awesome.

Jaraviss: Thanks for the tip on buffalo. I really want to get some images of those big boys.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2007
    Skippy

We had a wicked, wicked thunderstorm yesterday. Day started at 22C, and really no indication that storms were coming, but beautiful thunderheads and then hail about 5 p.m, at 9 p.m., we had northern lights!

Really scary and bizarre, but magnificent.

Now, lets hope for none of that on the preshootout!!!
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    If you think that might be an option, you will need to find a serial cable for
    your phone.

Unless your phone and computer can do it over bluetooth. My sanyo will talk to my powerbook over bluetooth for connectivity. Not the fastest thing ever, but in a pinch...
    Travis
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Skippy

We had a wicked, wicked thunderstorm yesterday. Day started at 22C, and really no indication that storms were coming, but beautiful thunderheads and then hail about 5 p.m, at 9 p.m., we had northern lights!

Really scary and bizarre, but magnificent.

Now, lets hope for none of that on the preshootout!!!
    I could live with an evening shooting northern lights! Though the chances of that happening as far south as Glacier are quite slim!:cry