Options

SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    EMAIL:

Dear Papajay, you should see my photos of Scotland! Click on this link :)

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=5004377&AlbumKey=rYQfZ

OK SmartyPants mwink.gif ...saw the slide show...liked the slideshow thumb.gif Did this just change?...I could swear I tried a "Get Links" query a week or so ago and found that the only slideshow option was the drop-down "style" version slideshow. Thanks Andy

NEXT REQUEST
    I tried copying a fullscreen slideshow link (from Get Links) and pasting into the body of a SmugMug email invite (so I could take advantage of my SM address book) but found that only the text pasted...it didn't convert to a link. Is there an easy way to do this?
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Alright, I'm ready...
    Hey Smugmug,

Can customers do B&W / Sepia with their print orders?

I'm very very ready for this, now that I have proof delays implemented in all my client galleries. I'd like for my customers to be able to browse a gallery, see a FEW of the B&W / Sepia images that I do custom on my favorite images, and then order ANY of their proofs as B&W / Sepia, for me to custom-convert and then replace. Processing and uploading a color, B&W + Sepia version of EVERY image in a portrait session is a waste of MY time and YOUR storage / bandwidth!

I hope this is in the works. Seems easy as heck to implement, and beneficial for both Smugmug AND photographer.

=Matt=

PS sorry I don't have the time to surf EVERY page of this to see if the feature has already been requested. If it has, then consider this an "I second the motion!"
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Seems easy as heck to implement,

Nothing is 'easy as heck' but we do want this and one day will have it - sooner rather than later, I hope.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    EMAIL:

Dear Papajay, you should see my photos of Scotland! Click on this link :)

http://www.moonriverphotography.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=5004377&AlbumKey=rYQfZ

had a gander and looks really great both the pics and the new look slidey - but just FYI Andy on Safari and from te UK , it stalled a couple of times - completely - I had to regenerate the link - but not until toward the end and again after I clicked the 'fast' button

Also toward the end, half the thumbs were not displaying
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    I tried copying a fullscreen slideshow link (from Get Links) and pasting into the body of a SmugMug email invite (so I could take advantage of my SM address book) but found that only the text pasted...it didn't convert to a link. Is there an easy way to do this?
    No, I'm sorry - you can just put it in your own email though, for now.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Nothing is 'easy as heck' but we do want this and one day will have it - sooner rather than later, I hope.
    If you ever decide to do this I hope you make it optional and not default (at least for Pros). Both BW and Sepia treatments are extremely sensitive to how you do it, and unless were talking about a bunch of snapshots it would be quite deteriorating to the image quality I'd like to present for my customers... I take pride in my BW and duotones, as I do in my color ones, so letting some one-size-fits-all algorithm to decide how my images would look like in BW is the last thing I want to see..deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    If you ever decide to do this I hope you make it optional and not default (at least for Pros). Both BW and Sepia treatments are extremely sensitive to how you do it, and unless were talking about a bunch of snapshots it would be quite deteriorating to the image quality I'd like to present for my customers... I take pride in my BW and duotones, as I do in my color ones, so letting some one-size-fits-all algorithm to decide how my images would look like in BW is the last thing I want to see..deal.gif
    Oh yes, of course, it'd be a choice, you could have our BW recipe, or not. Totally up to you deal.gif
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Oh yes, of course, it'd be a choice, you could have our BW recipe, or not. Totally up to you deal.gif
    Phew, thanks, got me scared for a second here mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I agree with this one. I am finding viewers are very confused by a black screen while an HD video is loading. The Smugmug flash player needs more initial feedback (probably some sort of animation that shows download progress). The thermometer at the bottom isn't enough and it often goes away until you mouse over it again. We need something in the middle of the video area.

While we are ultimately going to delight them with quality video, their first impression is the opposite because they aren't sure whether it's working or whether it's broken and their experience, if anything, is probably a more instantaneous startup like YouTube has. I know we can't necessarily do that with the higher quality video, but that's why we have to show them good progress while it's loading.
    Hi John, I made sure Shiz and Don saw this. Thanks very much.
  • Options
    Ryan ArmbrustRyan Armbrust Registered Users Posts: 329 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2008
    I would LOVE to be able to display larger thumbnails for my galleries.
    Thumbs the size of the 3 across style but for all galleries.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    DrDavidDrDavid Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2008
    Pro Pricing
    Would it be possible to allow for a CSV download of all pricing (portfolio, etc.. or, everything?) and allow us to edit the prices in excel, then upload the CSV and have it applied to the pricing?

I can see being able to set pricing in that way (by import/export) would be a huge timesaver.

David
  • Options
    MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    Image filename on replace photo page...
    It would help me alot and be a time saver if you would display the filename of the image whenever it comes time to replace the image.

Recently, I was reviewing an order before sending it to the printer and decided to replace the photo with a high resolution pic instead of one that had been resized smaller. When I clicked the replace photo button it displays the browse bar to go find the image. But the image filename isn't shown, just the pic. It doesn't take but a second for me to lose concentration, and more than once I've had to quit and go back to the normal screen to see what the file name is.

Hope this makes some sense.

Thanks.
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    I SimoniusI Simonius Registered Users Posts: 1,034 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    It would help me alot and be a time saver if you would display the filename of the image whenever it comes time to replace the image.

Recently, I was reviewing an order before sending it to the printer and decided to replace the photo with a high resolution pic instead of one that had been resized smaller. When I clicked the replace photo button it displays the browse bar to go find the image. But the image filename isn't shown, just the pic. It doesn't take but a second for me to lose concentration, and more than once I've had to quit and go back to the normal screen to see what the file name is.

Hope this makes some sense.

Thanks.
    Mike

I know what you mean!

Also when you click the show filename button that helps a bit until you add a caption and automatically lose the filenem - I wish it would keep te filenema unless you positively elect to delete it
    Veni-Vidi-Snappii
    ...pics..
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    EXIF data in comments field
    I miss the way Pbase puts the basic EXIF data under the picture. There is an option in customization to put Camera Data in the comment field on upload. I'd like to see the option added to put EXIF data in the comment field.

For example "1/160s f/10.0 at 35.0mm iso100".
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    TomNisbetTomNisbet Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2008
    Image filename on replace photo page...
    I Simonius wrote:
    I know what you mean!

Also when you click the show filename button that helps a bit until you add a caption and automatically lose the filenem - I wish it would keep te filenema unless you positively elect to delete it
    It would be great to always have the filenames available. It would also be nice to have the image size under each picture (in owner view) so you could easily see if a low-res image has already been replaced with a high-res image to fufill an order.
  • Options
    TomNisbetTomNisbet Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 6, 2008
    Pro Pricing
    DrDavid wrote:
    Would it be possible to allow for a CSV download of all pricing (portfolio, etc.. or, everything?) and allow us to edit the prices in excel, then upload the CSV and have it applied to the pricing?

I can see being able to set pricing in that way (by import/export) would be a huge timesaver.

David
    I was able to paste the pricing table into an Excel spreadsheet and add columns to compute the markups and profits. I found that this made it easy to understand my prices and to compare multiple price lists. The price lists still needed to be entered manually back into SmugMug, but this wasn't as bad as I expected it to be, especially since my lists eliminate lots of things like non-Lustre prints and compact prints. I'll be happy to mail you a copy of my Excel template.

The price list feature I'd really like to see is saved price lists that stay associated with galleries so that changes in the list automatically apply back to the gallery. This would ideally work just like the portfolio pricing - a gallery would use a named price list instead of the portfolio list as its default, but individual prices could still be overridden. This would make the portfolio pricing just another instance of saved price lists. THAT would be awesome.
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    batts wrote:
    This function is great but could be better if there was a save button at the bottom. It really sucks when you have a large gallery, tab through and bulk caption/keyword them, only to have to scroll up all the way to the top of the page to click "Save" when changes are made. This could be polished with a nice save button or something at the bottom if there are over X number of photos in the gallery. Try this one with 100+ photos and it is pretty clear. One could use the Home/End buttons but not sure if everyone thinks of those things.

Would also be nice if it was applied to similar functions like Rotate Photos, Adjust Thumbnails, Color Effects, etc..

I've long held the same "frustration" with this...scrolling all the way back to the top to "Preview" or "Save" in the bulk edit tool is a pain.

IDEA (...don't know if this has been suggested before):
    Could you develop a feature similar to "Freeze Windows" feature in MS Excel where you can keep the column headings in view while you scroll the rows upward underneath. In SM's bulk edit photo tool, the primary command tools at the top would remain visible as a "commands frame" (my name), while the thumbnails to be editted scroll up (and become invisible) underneath the commands frame as you scroll your way down a large gallery full of thumbnails.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    papajay wrote:
    I've long held the same "frustration" with this...scrolling all the way back to the top to "Preview" or "Save" in the bulk edit tool is a pain.

IDEA (...don't know if this has been suggested before):
    Could you develop a feature similar to "Freeze Windows" feature in MS Excel where you can keep the column headings in view while you scroll the rows upward underneath. In SM's bulk edit photo tool, the primary command tools at the top would remain visible as a "commands frame" (my name), while the thumbnails to be editted scroll up (and become invisible) underneath the commands frame as you scroll your way down a large gallery full of thumbnails.

Just a thought.

Expanded idea:
    While doing a whole bunch of caption and keyword additions in the bulk editor this evening, the following "lightbulb moment" (seems like there ought to be a "smilie" for that, but I couldn't find one):

In my workflow for adding keywords, I typically use the "add to all" or "add to selected" functionality to get the highly repetitious additions made to a large gallery. Afterwards, but while still in the bulk editor, I start at the top with the first image adding the more "unique" keywords specific only to that individual photo, then move to the next...and the next...and so on until I reach the bottom. Then I start again with captions and follow the same process.

It would be much faster to hit a "jump down to the next photo's edit box" key (Tab??, or Page Down??, Arrow Down??, something...) than removing my hand from the keyboard to locate the cursor in the next photo's edit box using the mouse.

If someone could tell me how to program a Function Key to do that, I'd do it in a heartbeat....but I think a SmugMug feature enhancement to do it would be better.
  • Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Not sure what's been said above, so please count as another vote if it's been said above...:

1). Holiday Cards for customers to put together through checkout.

2). Ability For customers to purchase items like books (from Blurb) or wallhogs directly on a gallery/smugmug page... The partnerships through club smugmug are great, but it'd be great if customers could order directly...

Thanks!
    Nate
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    natephotonatephoto Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited June 8, 2008
    Buy Button!
    Also,

Very important to me:

It would be awesome to have a "Buy Photo" button pop up over the photo in "smugmug" view, just as the size options, download photo, etc, pop up.

Thanks!
    Nate
    --
    _:nod Nate____
    Canon 1D Mark II N . Canon 20D . Canon Digital Rebel Xti .
    Speedlite 430 EX .
    Canon : 18-55 kit, 75-300 IS, 70-200 IS f/2.8 L .
  • Options
    JKLionheartJKLionheart Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited June 9, 2008
    Big List of Suggestions from a New User
    I'm new to SmugMug but I've spent over a year viewing others' galleries/features and asking around before even signing up for my 2 week trial. I have a very high opinion of the sense of community and service provided and it seems forum posts are taken seriously and respectfully, rather than ignored and forgotten. I've gone through as much of the service and menus as my Power User account allows since I started a few weeks ago, and I took notes on suggestions I hope will be useful to everyone. I did my best to comb the thread for repeats, but there's 40+ pages on the current thread! Got through about the last 20+ of 'em. If there are repeats, then please consider this an additional vote :)

I tried to give proper justification for each point I've written up so you can at least imagine where I'm coming from or what kind of usefulness each suggestion could have. Again these are just suggestions for improvement to a wonderful service!

In no coherent order whatsoever...

1) In category view, it'd be nice to:
    - know how many listed/unlisted galleries there are, i.e. Total: 10 Galleries (5 unlisted)
    - perhaps list the most recent galleries in each category in owner/visitor view only depending on preference (up to the height of the thumbnail on display)
    - or list x-number of galleries/photo-count when owner mouses over category (and if possible, give the option for visitors to do the same), this could help cut down on digging through categories to see if an album is in there or another category, while maintaining the benefit of organization in category-view.

2) Ajax in more places for menus and interface:
    - Less page loads for simple tasks
    - Drag-and-drop for homepage categories (bio, featured, most popular, etc.) rather than "Organize: Move Up | Move Down". Light dotted lines can denote moveable sections like "Bio", "Featured Galleries", etc.

3) Less pull-down menus, more menus in the spirit of those pretty boxes like the one that overlays when mousing-over photos!
    - I feel the old HTML pull-down menus detract from the otherwise smooth feel of SmugMug
    - Even if they're not mouse-overs, having things like "crop ratios" on the side listed out (assuming there's not a billion choices to cause clutter) rather than clicking a pull-down menu feels much cleaner :)

4) Consolidating some options in the Tools menus, such as Delete and Delete Photos.
    - Perhaps Delete Photos could default to the photo you are currently viewing, taking care of the Delete option at the same time with one page load.
    - Or 'Delete' could at least eliminate the page load and have a pop-up asking you to confirm (and if needed, refresh the gallery, rather than the current 2 page loads it takes to get back to the gallery).
    - Or both these! I love how SmugMug gives redundant choices that use different approaches! Perhaps letting us customize our Tools menu would reduce unused/unwanted options for the owner.

5) Color effects is fun, but an option/checkbox to have a copy (or have this as default) rather than overwriting the current photo would be great :) We have unlimited storage for a reason right?

6) Crop Thumbnail
    - Again, ratios could be listed rather than in a pull-down menu. You guys have chosen beautiful, professional looking fonts, and the HTML-style pull-down menu feels like it throws that off.
    - If my thumbnails are square, would it be possible to have the crop thumbnail default to a 1:1 square blue outline with the current focal point centered (currently defaults to full photo aspect)? Having to change the aspect to 1:1 just to fix the focal point of the thumbnail is a bit tedious, esp. doing them one-by-one. Sorry if this is something I'm personally not doing properly.
    - It's understandable that "Save Changes" takes a while to process on the server side, but fixing the focal point of every square thumbnail is tough. One suggestion is to mimic the 'Edit Captions/Keywords' page which displays all photos (user-friendly sized, SmugMug's forte!) and their correct-aspect blue crop boxes and default to the current photo in the list (if I was viewing photo #7, default to photo #7 but have all other photos ready if I wanted to fix the thumbnail crop on any others while I'm at it). This way, I could just click "Save Changes" once, and let it churn through all of them while I move onto more photos!

7) Feature Photo
    - Perhaps there are a select few I'd like to let SmugMug randomly use (such as in wedding galleries, I want only ones that have the bride/groom in them)?
    - This has been mentioned here: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=803679&postcount=271

8) Visitor View button in galleries.
    - Why do I need to go back to my main page to change to visitor-mode?
    - Useful for previewing galleries quicker when using "hide photo" command

9) Customize Gallery button should definitely be more accessible!
    - Suggestion: Gallery tools options should be up top near the gallery name, while the photo tools should stay under the photo. This gives a subtle but useful scope to what kind of tools each menu represents.
    - Again, the pull-down Tools menus detract from the overall SmugMug look. You guys have great overlay menus on top of photos, beautiful buttons in the top right corner of each gallery. Moving the entire Gallery Tools to another row of 5 buttons sitting on top of the current 5 buttons could work. Or putting a Gallery Tools button that reveals an overlay menu with choices similar to the photo overlay for PhotoRank/Photo-Sizes/etc. would be beautiful.

10) This one's pushing the limits I know, but just to humor myself: Advanced choice to have Ajax or Javascript run simple/common but computationally expensive things such as resizing thumbnails or regenerating a crop on the user's local computer and uploaded to SmugMug (without further postprocessing on the server side). This could be faster for serious users with fast local machines and good upload speeds, and also have the benefit of reducing server side CPU load. We'd also see less "Processing Image" pics!
    - Obviously most people are paying to let SmugMug handle this, but who knows if this could benefit both sides?

11) This one I feel would help all customers: Referrals based on username.
    - Even perfect strangers can do a photographer proud by earning him $10 off his next renewal if they like his/her gallery on SmugMug (and decide to join because of it)! This also makes it less likely to promote the desire to spam/hassle friends and family with your e-mail address or coupon code. They can simply input your username when they're ready to join themselves, without having to guess which e-mail you used or find that coupon code!

12) This one's stretching it again but... add a button to photos saying "I want to buy this" or "I'd buy it" for photos that are purposely not available for purchase. I personally plan to put up photos I would not want to let people buy at-cost (simply because I spent more time processing or working on them), and this type of feedback would really motivate me to consider if upgrading to a Professional account would be feasible/affordable.
    - I understand true professionals most likely would not even start with a Power or Basic account, but for a young photographer like myself that wants to test the waters, this could be a huge motivator to pursue a new career or get some pocket change :D Anybody can shoot something beautiful in this age of digital cameras, and even hobbyists could use some help funding all that equipment!

13) When in Visitor View and clicking to return to Owner View, rather than staying on the same gallery (preferred, for editing and hidden images, etc.), seems to take me back to the homepage.

14) The ability to download entire albums, assuming the download feature was enabled.
    - Related question: I need to dig further into this, because I've seen people do it (not sure if it's a pro-only feature?) but how do I allow Originals to be viewed but disable the "Download Image" button? It seems the download button goes hand-in-hand with allowing max viewable size to be Original in Customize Gallery. It'd be nice to separate these two.

15) Gallery featured thumbnails independent of gallery thumbnails.
    - This way we could have pretty square 1:1 thumbnails when viewing the gallery, but have a full aspect preview thumbnail as the featured photo displayed before entering the gallery.

16) I know this one has been mentioned but being able to have photos uploaded that can belong to multiple galleries ("virtual galleries") but tied to the same image/comments/etc.
    - The example in my head is: HDR photos that have been taken at various events grouped into a separate but related HDR gallery.
    - http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=795271&postcount=257
    - Perhaps having SmugMug sort by tags would help this, but photos without tags would get super messy.

99) One for SmugMug's benefit: Point out that membership gets you ClubSmug discounts!!!
    - This was a nice surprise that even some trial members may miss.

A lot of these topics were also covered here: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=806786&postcount=280
    Just to show that I did my best to see what's been requested :)

One thing to note, I'm coming to this service from SlideShowPro (sorry if it's not kosher to mention other services or software), which is extremely AJAX-heavy. One of the biggest reasons why I decided to switch is that they moved to on-demand publishing, which could be great, except that full-res 8MP images take forever to resize on the fly, leaving my viewers waiting and staring at a black screen for a while. Their solution: Don't upload full-res photos. Not acceptable for me. But even though the end-user/viewer suffered, their SSP Director organization, layout and interface for managing albums was gorgeous, fairly robust, and minimized page loads. If the SmugMug team hasn't seen SSP Director, there are videos outlining the interface and features on their site, and I also still have it on my personal site if someone really wanted to explore. I'm definitely NOT asking for SmugMug to mimic SlideShowPro, but I took a lot of suggestions from my user experience with them :)

Apologies for such a long list. I took my first post very seriously and it sort of blew out of proportion. If a moderator would like me to split it up, please PM me and remove the post and I'll take care of it :)

I did my best to proofread this 10+ times, but if something needs clarification, let me know! I hope this was more useful than annoying to read! Thanks to anybody who actually makes it through this post!
    Canon 5D Mark II | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | EF 28-135mm | EF 50mm f/1.8 | EF 100-300 f/4.5-5.6 | EF 100mm f/2.8 macro | Feisol CF 3301N Tripod + Kirk BH-3 Ballhead | Speedlite 430EX

Canon S95 | Panasonic FZ-20 w/ 36-432mm (35mm equiv.) | Canon SD500 | and of course my old Canon S230 =D

http://photos.jklionheart.com
    http://jklionheart.smugmug.com
  • Options
    fmedinafmedina Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 10, 2008
    Facebook integration?
    Are there any plans for a facebook app that can display Smumug photos and tag them? Right now i'd settle for an app that displayed smugmug photos consistently on FB. All the user apps I tried on FB for integrating smumug have been very iffy, working for a while, then not.

Any integration from smugmug side would be great.

Keep up the great work!

saludos,

Fernando
  • Options
    edited June 10, 2008
    fmedina wrote:
    Are there any plans for a facebook app that can display Smumug photos and tag them? Right now i'd settle for an app that displayed smugmug photos consistently on FB. All the user apps I tried on FB for integrating smumug have been very iffy, working for a while, then not.

Any integration from smugmug side would be great.

Keep up the great work!

saludos,

Fernando
    It's been there for a while already: http://apps.facebook.com/mugsmug/
  • Options
    omonra21omonra21 Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Embed slideshow in blog - like picasa
    Hi,

I'd like to request the following feature available in Picasa. More details on it here: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/getEmbed

Thanks, Vic
  • Options
    tgelstontgelston Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I agree with this one. I am finding viewers are very confused by a black screen while an HD video is loading. The Smugmug flash player needs more initial feedback (probably some sort of animation that shows download progress). The thermometer at the bottom isn't enough and it often goes away until you mouse over it again. We need something in the middle of the video area.

While we are ultimately going to delight them with quality video, their first impression is the opposite because they aren't sure whether it's working or whether it's broken and their experience, if anything, is probably a more instantaneous startup like YouTube has. I know we can't necessarily do that with the higher quality video, but that's why we have to show them good progress while it's loading.

This is happening to My mother-in-law. She is not savvy and even though I have told her to wait she tells me it is broken sometimes and works other times ;)
  • Options
    tgelstontgelston Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited June 10, 2008
    Expanded Expanded Idea
    papajay wrote:
    Expanded idea:
    While doing a whole bunch of caption and keyword additions in the bulk editor this evening, the following "lightbulb moment" (seems like there ought to be a "smilie" for that, but I couldn't find one):

In my workflow for adding keywords, I typically use the "add to all" or "add to selected" functionality to get the highly repetitious additions made to a large gallery. Afterwards, but while still in the bulk editor, I start at the top with the first image adding the more "unique" keywords specific only to that individual photo, then move to the next...and the next...and so on until I reach the bottom. Then I start again with captions and follow the same process.

It would be much faster to hit a "jump down to the next photo's edit box" key (Tab??, or Page Down??, Arrow Down??, something...) than removing my hand from the keyboard to locate the cursor in the next photo's edit box using the mouse.

If someone could tell me how to program a Function Key to do that, I'd do it in a heartbeat....but I think a SmugMug feature enhancement to do it would be better.

I follow the same basic workflow as papa and would love some type of system that lets me keep my hands off the mouse but only requires a single press to jump from field to field.

I also would LOVE to see a true BULK, as in WHOLE site, keywording tool. A way to search for all pics of a certain keyword and then add/modify/subtract keywords for that set.
  • Options
    UltrapixUltrapix Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited June 12, 2008
    Hi guys,
    Hey I'd sign up tomorrow except for one large, simple problem; self fulfillment. I operate out of New Zealand and SmugMug ticks all the boxes of what I'm looking for in a new site, except that I seem to have to get my prints done through your provider. You can understand that shipping and order for what might be a couple of 6" x 4"'s across the Pacific is not really a viable option...

I understand I can add Google Checkout of PayPal to get around this, but as far as I understand they can only be used to pay for one item at a time....or more importantly they can't be the final step in the cart/checkout process.

Shirley, something can be done? There are a whole world of people out there, waiting, salivating, twitching and fizzing to to do business through SmugMug. Couldn't you just bill our credit cards for the fee's you'd normally collect?

Andrew
  • Options
    nrshapironrshapiro Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 12, 2008
    Pricing Suggestion
    I'm starting to really use my Smugmug pro galleries, and setting them up to sell. But I'm already very frustrated with the pricing system.

I don't want my customers to have to choose from several dozen different sizes. I just want to offer a few standard sizes. And most importantly, they should be the sizes that fit the aspect ratio.

Unfortunately, smugmug makes this VERY difficult, when it could be easy.

The only way to do it now is to have the aspect ratios written down, then to go image by image (which isn't easy either--since you have to keep going back to the gallery to pick the image.) Then you have to set the prices EACH TIME. There's not even a copy from a previous image, like there is for a gallery or portfolio.

SUGGESTIONS:

Have a portfolio option to "only show prices for matching aspect ratios" that I can set. Then I can just set all the prices at once, and only the appropriate ones will show.

When nothing matches, I'll custom set them. But you need a way to "save" prices, and then apply them to an image.

And there should be a way of going image by image in the pricing screen.

Without this, the whole convenience of the online ordering system is lost to me. I might as well make my own webpage, put in a statement like:

prints are 10x15 or 11x14 = $30
    12x18 = $45
    16x20 = $75

and be done with it. I'd rather spend the time dealing with sales than struggling with these pricing pages, or forcing my customer to try and figure out what the right aspect ratio is for the photos.

Hope to see some new features making this usable real soon.

Neil
  • Options
    nrshapironrshapiro Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited June 12, 2008
    oh, and one more suggestion. I didn't want my customers to see the file names of my photos. Mainly because I put a lot of info in them they don't need to see and they look ugly.

Unfortunately, the only way to stop them from seeing it is to turn of photo info in the custom settings. But then I CAN"T SEE THEM either, or any other photo info, even in owner view.

(And I wouldn't have minded letting them see the photo information other than the file name).

Edit to add another feature request: I would love to see watermarking dynamically applied on larger views only. In other words, let them see the little sizes without an obnoxious watermark, but for the larger sizes which would be a download risk, watermark them. That would mean I could allow them to see the larger sizes, which I don't now. Why is that important: the larger sizes may help them decide if they like the details of the photo enough to buy it.
  • Options
    AngryScotAngryScot Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited June 12, 2008
    password viewable in "owners view"
    With lots of different galleries and different passwords to keep them seperated from viewers it would be great to display the password for the gallery on the owners view of the page. That saves opening the gallery and going to customize to see what is set for each one.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.