Options

SmugMug Feature Requests

Comments

• Options
    photobrandophotobrando Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2008
    Prices, Setting Prices, Price Sheet
    Perhaps it's just me, but when viewing the price list page, to set prices for a gallery, the page looks like a screen door.

Is it at all possible to have the size of the prints broken up from one another by a space of nothing? Looking at that price sheet makes my eyes go cross. I'm thinking:
    4x6 Gloss
    4x6 Metallic
    4x6 Matte
    4x6 Lustre
    ***Space***
    5x7 Gloss
    5x7 Metallic
    5x7 Matte
    5x7 Lustre
    ***Space***

It would also be nice if the price sheet was categorized from cheapest to priciest per what we are charged from EZ Prints.

I hope this could be done. That would be super awesome!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2008
    Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    edited October 23, 2008
    Wingr wrote:
    Hi,

I've seen this asked in several ways but I haven't been able to find an answer. I would like to have watermarks show up on the larger size images, not on the regular album size image. Can this be a feature?

Thanks!
    Chris
    What's a 'regular album size' image? We have 8 display copies: http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-quality

We watermark all 8, you can choose to have the watermark on the thumbs or not.

Sorry it's not possible to say which of the others get it or not.
  • Options
    WingrWingr Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 23, 2008
    Having an option to treat the medium size just like the thumbs would be nice. It is less likely for someone to take this size to print it for other uses. They could still put it on another site as their own image, but some that do that don't even remove the watermark/copyright stamps. At least viewers could look a smaller, clean image to review before choosing to purchase it.

Regards,
    Chris
    http://kuiphoff.smugmug.com/
    Andy wrote:
    What's a 'regular album size' image? We have 8 display copies: http://www.smugmug.com/help/display-quality

We watermark all 8, you can choose to have the watermark on the thumbs or not.

Sorry it's not possible to say which of the others get it or not.
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    OHHH PLEASE!!!!

Please add a checkbox to the 'move to another gallery' feature to make a new copy instead of move. Its so many steps to first copy the image, write down all the image numbers you made copies of, then move then images.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    agalliaagallia Registered Users Posts: 541 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    JohnBiggs wrote:
    OHHH PLEASE!!!!

Please add a checkbox to the 'move to another gallery' feature to make a new copy instead of move. Its so many steps to first copy the image, write down all the image numbers you made copies of, then move then images.
    Good idea! But, to avoid confusion on 'move" tool, suggest just adding a new tool that says 'copy to another gallery' and leave 'move' tool as is.
    Acadiana Al
    Smugmug: Bayou Oaks Studio
    Blog: Journey to the Light
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    RobinivichRobinivich Registered Users Posts: 438 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2008
    I just ordered my first batch of smugmug prints, and I was thinking a little more information would be helpful when choosing shipping options, and also with regards to the confirmation e-mail. Like giving estimated ship times and waybills (if available), especially for those of us outside the US deal.gif

Thanks!
  • Options
    JPWhiteJPWhite Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 26, 2008
    Add downloads to statistics
    Can we have a record of the number of downloads are made on the statistics pages?

Thanks

JP
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2008
    JPWhite wrote:
    Can we have a record of the number of downloads are made on the statistics pages?

Thanks

JP
    What downloads are you referring to?
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2008
    Map This - Open in new window?
    Map This is a great feature...but has one problem. It needs to open in a new window, not same window. Now, when a viewer clicks on Map This while browsing a gallery, there is obvious way to get back to the gallery. Sure, they can usually get back via the browser toolbar "back" button, but many casual viewers may not readily think of this.
    • Simply having the Map open in a new window easily solves the problem.
    • Also, adding a "back to gallery" button on the Map would do it too.
    Acadiana Al
    "Serendipity...the faculty of making happy, unexpected discoveries by accident." .... Horace Walpole, 1754 (perhaps that 'lucky shot' wasn't really luck at all!)
  • Options
    twincitiesphototwincitiesphoto Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2008
    ian408 wrote:
    Have a look at thread. Though it doesn't give you the lens used, it does give you the focal length as described in the EXIF info.

Is that something you could use?

Ian408 - thanks for the info - but since your idea is limited to FireFox browswers - it wasn't quite what I'd like to see - but thanks.
  • Options
    lucasauslucasaus Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2008
    Coupons, mailing list, special offers
    Hi out there, I know this has been mentioned before, but my take on it is a little different perhaps.

As regards coupons, I would like to be able to create:
    - One coupon code that is reusable, perhaps for a percentage off (like a 10% off), that can be used by many people (repeatable)
    - One coupon code like the above, that has a limited date validity, that can be used by many people (repeatable)
    - One coupon code that is a one-use only, and deletes itself after its used by someone
    - A range of unique coupon codes that are created in bulk, and all have the same options as above - either with limited date availability, or permanently available, but that expire (die) after being used once..

Ideally any of the above coupons could be special offers, like buy 3 get 10% off, or buy 4 get the 5th free, or they could be for one free print of their choice (cost covered by photographer), or even more handy, a coupon for one free digital download of their choice (to spark some interest)..

To wrap all this together, I would like to be able to have a mailing list controller, have people signing up to my special offer mailing list on my smugmug page (and maybe have an applet so they can sign up on other pages, like my personal website), and from there be able to email any of the above coupons to my email list.

Especially useful would be the ability to create a bulk set of one-use coupon codes and have the system email one code to each person on my mailing list.. wow that'd be cool.

I'd also love to have a buy 4 get one free, buy 3 get 10% off, etc, kind of flexibility.

These things are the sorts of things my web development clients want and need on their osCommerce (and other assorted shopping cart websites), and really to be selling from SmugMug is basically to be using it as an alternative to using an alternate shopping cart system, so I would love to see this sort of functionality mirrored.

And last but not least on the wishlist, a Facebook App which would let me Facebook message each of my friends with a bulk-generated, unique, one-use coupon code and a friendly message to go with it, along with a link to my site. Now that'd be some nice integrated marketing.

Thanks for listening!!
  • Options
    foreveryoungphotoforeveryoungphoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 28, 2008
    Thando wrote:
    Got an idea? Give it to us here. All of the SmugMug crew read this thread so feel free to share your ideas. Go ahead, give us the requests.

Here are mine:

~ Tool that customers could do side by side comparisons of photographs.
    ~ Customers could choose to order a color image printed as black and white or sepia.
    ~ Ability to make a customized ULR for each gallery. For example smithwedding.smugmug.com instead of the crazy long URLs for some galleries.
    ~ Ability to give gift certificates to clients that they could add in a coupon code, discount code for their order.
    ~ more tutorials about customizing your site to make it look unique.

Thanks!
  • Options
    redshadow01redshadow01 Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited October 29, 2008
    Bulk deletion of photos tagged as "hidden"
    Just got an answer in the support forum saying this is not possible, so here it is as a feature request.

I would like a function where I can press one button for a gallery to see and be able to delete all images marked as "hidden"

Thank you,
    red
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2008
    How about make the new "Buy" button drop downs match the style of the flyout on the SM style.... Also how about making the width of the dropdown match the button width? That way I would not have to try to hack it and drive myself nuts....
  • Options
    nantenanantena Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 2, 2008
    lucasaus wrote:
    Hi out there, I know this has been mentioned before, but my take on it is a little different perhaps.

Thanks for listening!!

I think my request is along the same lines of yours, I would like to see photographer gift certificates or print vouchers that we can set for a specific amount and give to our customers to order with. I like to include print vouchers with portrait and wedding packages, and it would be easier to give them a code to use in checkout rather than have to take a seperate order to fulfill package prints.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Right now you can only make a copy of the current image. Then, you have to do that for multiple images. But you can move multiple images to one or more galleries at one time.

It would be nice to have the ability to choose multiple images and have an option to create copies of these images into another gallery rather than have a multiple-stepped process.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    agallia wrote:
    Map This is a great feature...but has one problem. It needs to open in a new window, not same window. Now, when a viewer clicks on Map This while browsing a gallery, there is obvious way to get back to the gallery. Sure, they can usually get back via the browser toolbar "back" button, but many casual viewers may not readily think of this.

In windows, you can actually open the Map This! in a new window by holding the shfit key when you click (this works on any weblink that normally does not open a new tab or worksheet). Don't know if it works the same on a Mac.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2008
    digismile wrote:
    In windows, you can actually open the Map This! in a new window by holding the shfit key when you click (this works on any weblink that normally does not open a new tab or worksheet). Don't know if it works the same on a Mac.
    Thanks, Brad. And holding the "control" key opens in another tab. But doubt if most "visitors" know that or remember it anyway. Still would be very nice to implement my suggestion in some form.
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2008
    Suggestion for Copy feature upgrade
    RogersDA wrote:
    Right now you can only make a copy of the current image. Then, you have to do that for multiple images. But you can move multiple images to one or more galleries at one time.

It would be nice to have the ability to choose multiple images and have an option to create copies of these images into another gallery rather than have a multiple-stepped process.
    Hi, David. Please see my post #217 this thread on this subject. Suggestion for feature upgrade
    • Tools/This Photo - Suggest adding a "Copy to Gallery" tool.
    • Tools/Many Photos - Suggest adding "Copy to Gallery" and "Copy to Multiple Galleries" tools.
    Hope Smugmug team can do!
    Acadiana Al
  • Options
    HaraldEHaraldE Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2008
    Sound Recordings stored in Smugmug
    Morning,

Today I use Smugmug to store my archive of images. Later on I will have a go on film. I also need a place to store my Sound Recordings and would very much like to have them also in Smugmug ... all in one place.

So my feature request is a possibility to store also the media of sound

Regards, Harald
    ==================
    My focus is on digitizing memories
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    HaraldE wrote:
    Morning,

Today I use Smugmug to store my archive of images. Later on I will have a go on film. I also need a place to store my Sound Recordings and would very much like to have them also in Smugmug ... all in one place.

So my feature request is a possibility to store also the media of sound

Regards, Harald

Hi Harald. You can store sound files. It's not included with your regular SmugMug membership though. SmugMug recently started a service called SmugVault for storing files of any type:

http://www.smugmug.com/price/smugvault.mg
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    agallia wrote:

Al -- what browser are you using?

I just tested this with Firefox 3, IE 7, and Chrome. In Firefox and Chrome, clicking on "Map This" opened up the map in an new tab.

In IE 7, a new window was opened for the map.

I have not changed any of the defaults for opening windows/tabs.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Add another option to the photo tools. "Copy this photo to other gallery". It
    would be for the single photo so no bulk abuse would be involved. But would
    be faster then the confusing making 2nd copy and moving.

Uber-Thread for "Copy To Gallery" / "Virtual Gallery" Feature Request:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=110537
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Keyboard Shortcuts for Hide, Crop, Delete, Replace, etc.
    SmugMug should implement single-key shortcuts a la Lightroom (hello Wade) or Gmail keyboard shortcuts. If you're in a gallery and you're not in a text input field, the keyboard shortcuts would be "live".

You can already flip through your photos quickly with the left- and right-arrow keys. You can also go forward and backwards through pages of thumbnails by holding down shift and using left/right arrows (cool, huh)?

Even cooler would be if the "H" key hid the photo you were currently looking at.

And how great would it be if "D" prompted you to delete the photo, and if instead of taking you to a completely different page, it simply popped up an overlaid window to confirm it (OK or Cancel).

Think about how quickly you could whiz through an album, hiding and deleting images, thereby saving SmugMug valuable bandwidth and storage!

"R" could fire up Replace, "A" would take you to Arrange, "C" would Crop, and so on.

Please discuss this feature in this separate thread, lest your comments get buried here.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    lest your comments get buried here.
    Curious how you feel that comments are 'buried' here in the sticky Feature Requst thread, that we all subscribe to, and from which we've gotten many, many awesome features from over the years? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    agallia wrote:
    Hi, David. Please see my post #217 this thread on this subject. Suggestion for feature upgrade
    • Tools/This Photo - Suggest adding a "Copy to Gallery" tool.
    • Tools/Many Photos - Suggest adding "Copy to Gallery" and "Copy to Multiple Galleries" tools.
    Hope Smugmug team can do!
    Yeah - I have seen this request many times. Heck, I have probably posted in the past, too. Just adding my $0.02 to this request.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Curious how you feel that comments are 'buried' here in the sticky Feature Requst thread, that we all subscribe to, and from which we've gotten many, many awesome features from over the years? ne_nau.gif

The thing I don't like about posting in this thread is that it's impossible to have a focused discussion about a single topic in this thread. After all, by defintion, this thread is conglomeration of a zillion topics.

It's also impossible to have a meaningful thread topic line that will attract other people to comment on your posting because the thread topic line is already fixed for the feature request thread and it's generic. If people aren't "in" to reading all the feature requests, they will never see your posting.

I get that you're trying to make it easy for Smugmug employees who don't regularly read forum postings to browse feature requests and I suppose that's a good thing, but certainly you can also understand why some people want to have their own focused conversation about a new feature that isn't interleaved with all the other postings in this thread and somewhat "hidden" in the forum because it doesn't have it's own thread subject line in the forum.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    The thing I don't like about posting in this thread is that it's impossible.

You could do like Darryl did, and start a discussion and then put a pointer or dupe here... otherwise, I'm moving the Feature Request here :)

Thanks!
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited November 6, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    You could do like Darryl did, and start a discussion and then put a pointer or dupe here... otherwise, I'm moving the Feature Request here :)

Thanks!
    Yep, that's what I've done on occasion. You asked what how we could every not like to have our full discussion in the feature requests thread, so I was answering that question.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
This discussion has been closed.