Options

>>> challenge 18 - comments and critiques thread <<

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    So I actually put this one as a submission... but I really would like some comments. I know this combines the last theme with the new one, hopefully that is ok.

2476_govpuddle_sf_S.jpg

I've been thinking about this one, cmr. Not sure what my feelings are. I know that I like the creativity and the unlikely pairing and placement of images. I think I like that the sky has clouds, although I'm not positive.

Maybe what I'm feeling is that I can't really see the building to the left. Which means that the picture is only about the brick sky. Maybe I'd like it better if I saw the full building, because then the shot would be about a building with a brick sky over it. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    And some water droplets on my fennel plant

6748018-S.jpg

Cool shot, Gubbsie. I agree with cmr, a little cropping might help focus the attention. Maybe a little contrast too? The basics may be there for a really nice submission.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    6746645-S.jpg

Nice shot, Ginger. I really like the composition. I wouldn't blur the petals, I don't think. I think I'd work on the colors and the exposure.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    OK, Andy's begging for more people to submit stuff for the challenges. (It's kind of embarassing actually... geez Andy, where's your dignity?) So here's a beginner's effort for you, inspired by Ginger I might add.

Don't spare the criticism please, I'm a big boy and I have no illusions about my skilllllz! :D I lurk here to learn.

6753246-S.jpg

The idea is funny, DJ. It definitely has lines and curves. And the composition's pretty good. One thing it's missing is the photographic 'wow' factor. Things that make you go 'wow' are lighting, unusual perspectives, unusual subject matter, unique moments. That sort of thing. From that point of view, the shot is rather plain. Maybe at sunset the same shot would have long shadows, and the little ridges in the wood would have some depth, and the ball would have an elliptical shadow? Maybe not, but that's the sort of thing that would elevate a shot. I frequently find myself thinking that a shot has two have at least two levels to be really appealing.
    Sid.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    sid - you nailed it!
    wxwax wrote:
    The idea is funny, DJ. It definitely has lines and curves. And the composition's pretty good. One thing it's missing is the photographic 'wow' factor. Things that make you go 'wow' are lighting, unusual perspectives, unusual subject matter, unique moments. That sort of thing. From that point of view, the shot is rather plain. Maybe at sunset the same shot would have long shadows, and the little ridges in the wood would have some depth, and the ball would have an elliptical shadow? Maybe not, but that's the sort of thing that would elevate a shot. I frequently find myself thinking that a shot has two have at least two levels to be really appealing.

dj - the tennis ball shot at sunset, with a looooong shadow caused by the low sun would make this a stunning shot. of course, you could fake it with a simple spotlight held by a helper, too :D

sid - great critique - helpful, and explanatory, and you gave a suggested improvement. good on you! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Lime:
    6751311-M.jpg

Are any of these worth anything? Better or worse than the buildings?

Nice lime, 'apple. :D Great vibrant color. The framing may be a bit off - the empty space at the bottom detracts a bit, and it's almost cut-off at the top. I wish the persimmons had the light, instead of the background being so bright.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    andy wrote:
    dj - the tennis ball shot at sunset, with a looooong shadow caused by the low sun would make this a stunning shot. of course, you could fake it with a simple spotlight held by a helper, too :D

sid - great critique - helpful, and explanatory, and you gave a suggested improvement. good on you! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks Andy! :feelgood
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Comments anyone?

6725577-S.jpg

Or the original one...

6692422-S.jpg

Snapella, I think you got it right, that black buttress is in the way. Not sure the problem can be fixed without a reshoot. Pity, because the rest of the shot is wonderful - elegant and attractive subject, great sky color, nice shape.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I ripped off the ankle brace and drove myself back to this waterfall and there were men fishing!!! so I pushed them in.. no just kidding.. I went back AGAIN and retook the shot. I'm not sure whether to crop the top out more.. is it any better?? and is it any good? don't worry bout my feelings.. it's all a learning curve for me..:D

I've taken shots like this many times, and have never really been satisfied with the results. For some reason, I find that the fall is a difficult dividing line with which to compose. Right now it more or less bisects the shot, so the shot isn't really about either side of the falls. More of an emphasis on one side or t'other would enhance it.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Hey, I've gotten no feedback on this one. Does it really just not work? I thought it was a pretty cool take on the theme. My skin is thick, negative critiques are just as welcome as positive ones.
    Hey Rutt, you make really nice shots, so I agree this isn't up top your Yellowstone quality (you made awesome shots there.) Here's my take: the subject is centered, no context, no tension in the framing. The yellow center of the flower is muted, and the whites aren't very bright. So the image lacks any pop or visual richness. It feels sorta plain.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    winger wrote:
    5549096-S.jpg

Yowza, now you're talking! Maybe lighten up a wee bit of the detail in the super dark areas, and increase the saturation a tiny bit? Very cool shot, winger!
    Sid.
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    Pretty... Pleasant to the eye.
    snapapple wrote:
    ... Oh well, so much for the lines. How about some curves?

I noticed you guys were shooting flowers, so I went outside. Not many flowers since we've had a long stretch of 100 degree heat. But the fruit is starting to ripen.

Fig and Leaf:
    6753135-M.jpg

Persimmons:
    6751310-M.jpg

Lime:
    6751311-M.jpg

Are any of these worth anything? Better or worse than the buildings?
    Snappy... I really like the first two here... While the lime has potential, I think that there is just a bit too much white. I think the first one is my favorite, though. I like the leaf detail, and the curvature of the fig and droplets. Quite pretty. Nice to the eye.

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    WINGER... I Love this one.
    wxwax wrote:
    Yowza, now you're talking! Maybe lighten up a wee bit of the detail in the super dark areas, and increase the saturation a tiny bit? Very cool shot, winger!

I LOVE this one too... Love the detail in the wood work, the lighting is fantastic. I really can see this in an executives office or Lobby.

ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2004
    apologies to snappy
    snappy,

i inadvertently commented on your pic in the entry thread, thinking i was here in the comments thread. i apologize. fwiw, my comment essentially echoed sid's comment that he's posted above.

11doh.gif
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    The Daisy is Rutt's daisy shot, I just play with it!
    Just got back from a blue moon night. Great clouds, but no moon because of clouds, but we stayed! And suddenly the clouds broke, and the blue moon was there. Oh Rutt, there were all sorts of skys, but the most beautiful Turner sky.

Of course I had no tripod, and also I know from days of yore that moons are the same as daylight, but I shot anyway. Blur and all, will see what I got.

It was a glorious experience. Great night on earth, for me.

But Sid, that is not my daisy shot, I just borrow it when I am bored.

Thanks anyway,

ginger:D

Oh, the Turner sky, a lot of yellow, I thought, it kept photography red.....
    Must be a reason for that. Since I did not expose for the moon, it will be interesting to see if I got anything of that.

I have a few curves for you all, but don't know about tonight.
    Went to a different place, there was a super tide, totally different from the other night, so no rippling sand. :cry
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2004
    Does she do that on purpose...
    ... probably

6763316-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 1, 2004
    So ..... I've been reading and following all week long watching the great images of lines and curves get posted. Finally I don't have to go to work today and I want to go out and shoot some lines and curves. AND WHAT DO I SEE EVERYWHERE??? Reflections!!

6769208-L.jpg

So I wander around and keep looking.....
    Here are some interesting lines and curves but the view out the window does not add to the image
    6769212-L.jpg

Here are more lines and curves of a sort....

6769207-L.jpg

But so far I think I prefer this.....

6769209-L.jpg

Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated. lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2004
    2476_govpuddle_sf_S.jpg
    wxwax wrote:
    I've been thinking about this one, cmr. Not sure what my feelings are. I know that I like the creativity and the unlikely pairing and placement of images. I think I like that the sky has clouds, although I'm not positive.

Maybe what I'm feeling is that I can't really see the building to the left. Which means that the picture is only about the brick sky. Maybe I'd like it better if I saw the full building, because then the shot would be about a building with a brick sky over it. headscratch.gif
    You do realize that this is a single shot straight from the camera with just some levels and color saturation changes. I don't think I will get a chance to reshoot since the conditions will not occur again anytime soon.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    So ..... I've been reading and following all week long watching the great images of lines and curves get posted. Finally I don't have to go to work today and I want to go out and shoot some lines and curves. AND WHAT DO I SEE EVERYWHERE??? Reflections!!

So I wander around and keep looking.....
    Here are some interesting lines and curves but the view out the window does not add to the image

Here are more lines and curves of a sort....

But so far I think I prefer this.....

Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated. lickout.gif
    Love the sloose (?) box!!!! Wouldn't touch it:D
    6769209-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Boy, is that ever nice! I see the lines and curves. I love the composition. This is one of the best flowers that's ever been posted in dgrin, IMHO.
    I like this image too, but really, Rutt have you been here recently?Laughing.gif
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=882

• Options
    edited August 1, 2004
    spockling wrote:
    Love the sloose (?) box!!!! Wouldn't touch it:D
    6769209-S.jpg
    I was concerned if it would be recognized as a sluice box or not. Thanks for your encouragement. I just finished an alternative image
    6770329-L.jpg

Not as dramatic in tonality, but it certainly has lines and curves as a thematic element.

• Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2004
    Rutt I had a go at your suggestions with the bud, but I don't think I'm getting anywhere, still trying though!
    I'm learning as I go so its probably just me, but I'll keep playing.

Here's a cropped more contrasty version of the fennel, its getting a bit noisey

6771822-M.jpg

and a completeley different picture trying duotones as an alternative

6771828-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2004
    6769209-Th.jpg

I like this, especially the gnarly legs. Is it cropped?
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2004
    6769207-Th.jpg
    I like this as much, but thought the hoop needed a bit more space around it.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2004
    Sid's ballpark shot in color
    Probably not as good as B&W and I didn't spend a lot of time trying to find the sweet crop that you got, but it's a testimony to the power of LAB curves:

6772951-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2004
    "They don't scream "curves"....
    andy wrote:
    i'm impressed with the leaves/fruit. nice work. exposure, focus, water interest, all spot-on. but - they don't scream "curves" to me. i like them, though, as photos that stand on their own :D

Perhaps some people need glasses. The whole reason for the tight framing (on purpose, in the camera, not cropped) is to emphasize the lines and curves. I quote, "...the lines could be a big player in the image, or a supporting character...". In this case I think they are a big player. The veins are white. I don't know how they could be more obvious. The leaf is heart shaped. Is that not curved?

6774184-L.jpg

I give up. You just can't please some people. I have withdrawn my entry.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2004
    challenge 17 comments for finalists.. done
    challenge 17 comments on the finalists are done.

they're right here
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2004
    to snappy
    snapapple wrote:
    Perhaps some people need glasses. The whole reason for the tight framing (on purpose, in the camera, not cropped) is to emphasize the lines and curves. I quote, "...the lines could be a big player in the image, or a supporting character...". In this case I think they are a big player. The veins are white. I don't know how they could be more obvious. The leaf is heart shaped. Is that not curved?

6774184-S.jpg

please, please don't give up! if by "some people" you mean me, you don't have to please me. remember, each photograph is judged against the other entries, not against my tastes. and we have guest judges each challenge to ensure that it's not just me reviewing the entries.

what else can i do, snappy? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2004
    There is value in a whisper, over a scream
    Snappy, I hope you don't withdraw your entry... And I'm sure, having watched your work that there is a good chance this won't be your final... Yet, if it is, I think it is a very nice photo, and I while it may not "scream" lines and curves, I am not sure that "Screaming" is necessarily a requirement. Sometimes there is effect in sublety, the quiet whisper... Having to look at an image for discovery has value.

I still think it's a beautiful shot.
    ginette
    snapapple wrote:

6774184-S.jpg

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    Snappy, I hope you don't withdraw your entry... And I'm sure, having watched your work that there is a good chance this won't be your final... Yet, if it is, I think it is a very nice photo, and I while it may not "scream" lines and curves, I am not sure that "Screaming" is necessarily a requirement. Sometimes there is effect in sublety, the quiet whisper... Having to look at an image for discovery has value.

I still think it's a beautiful shot.
    ginette
    Well, Ginette, you write very well. That is my first thought.

I will admit that I was very surprised re Andy's thoughts on Snappy's beautiful photo. However, I do think he was only trying to be helpful, from his perspective, and his perspective is one element in this whole thing, for some of us. I love knowing his perspective.

Snappy, if that shot is your last shot, or your first, whatever, it is gorgeous!
    I agree with Ginette on the "whisper". But I have noticed that the finalists usually scream with the assignment. That may be due to the fact that there can only be so many finalists, that has been what I have been saying..... to keep on the positive side.

On the other hand, our shots are our shots. We are the ones to love them, and since we will not all be chosen every week, I still think the best thing to do is say............well, I can't, it involves the F word. Anyway, that is how much I want to love my shots. So as not to be devastated that it does not get into the finals.

I, personally, love subtlety, and I love your "home" shots, particularly the one in question. It screams to me, and I would like to be able to look at it. I am sure, I know, others here feel the same. I would let it stand, for you, and for us, unless you come up with something you love better.

I would give Andy's comment the weight that you would give anyone else's. We treat him like god, but sometimes we have to remember that he is a very good photographer, a nice person, but his opinion is only that. Photography, as we are doing it is an art form. By nature art is subjective.

So his comments are very, very important, I want to know what he thinks on two levels. He and someone else pick the finalists, so it is important, and informative to find out how he does it, for me. The other thing is that he is good, so are others, but Andy stands out in his visibility. But he does have wisdom to impart to us. So do others. In the end, we are our own judges in this, IMO, as their wisdom is very useful, something to ponder, but not something written in granite. Kind of like a book critic, a movie critic, a music critic. Sometimes we agree, and sometimes we don't. If we are the ones who did the movie, book, etc, we have to grow thick skins, come into ourselves, by giving everything some weight, but giving their opinions the weight as part of a whole recipe. At the end, I like my fudge grainy like, and most critics like it creamy. It is all a matter of taste.

I would not pull your entry. I can understand that you would be upset. As an artist, you would Have to be upset. I would be upset. But give it a couple of days. Remember me, the burning and the rainbow. Some disagreed with the burning, others did not. Yes, it did not go in, but the photo in there did not come out, and that was about the only sane thing I did for a couple of days, I was so angry. I had three photos to rotate. Very different, and I rotated the other two, but would not put the rainbow back in, so I can see how you feel.

If you do pull your entry, or if you did, please stay involved with the discussions, that is the only way I could come out of my funk, or deal with it. Also I could vent, and I did. Plus we need you, I need you. I love your feedback.

Chin up, nose to the grindstone............ and other impossible positions. hehe, I love your photo, that only carries the weight that I love it.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.