6931677-S.jpg

Not Me

eek7.gifeek7.gif :roll biggrinbounce2.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    Yeah, must have been someone who hasn't been here the last couple of weeks.

Hope they don't post flowers, hehe

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    Let's get serious now...
    Attention Rutt, Spockling, Ginette ...

Here's another ..... Convention Center... What do you think?

6932522-M.jpg
  • Options
    AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    Bravo... Snappy!
    snapapple wrote:
    6932522-M.jpg
    SNAPPY... Very nice conversion.... I like the warm colors, and I do think that the crop enhances the overall image, drawing you into the lines and curves. also filling in the round windows with the tangerine color helps draw the eye to the curves... I like it!
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2004
    snapapple wrote:

6932522-S.jpg

you put a lot into this shot, and it shows. nice job.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    Snappy, I sent you a message. I really like this one, your work on the convention center. I like the colors, your crop, and I have always liked the trees.

It all looks very professional.

ginger thumb.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    SNAPPY... Very nice conversion.... I like the warm colors, and I do think that the crop enhances the overall image, drawing you into the lines and curves. also filling in the round windows with the tangerine color helps draw the eye to the curves... I like it!
    ginette
    [/center]

Thanks Ginette,
    I looked through my stuff for a good sky with warm colors. The red circles in the windows were already there. I just had to do some orange glow effect on the building and paste in a new sky. I'm not sure if the building is still too bright for the sky. It does have some pop though.

Where's "Rory's Bum"? I'm waiting to see some work on that. I know that's a good one. Unless you don't want to compete with "Rutt's Butt". Heheheh
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    Nice Ginger... Simple and on target.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    6931677-L.jpg
    Not Me
    GINGER... I really like this one, the s-curve, the shadow, the lines of the clapboards... Clean, simple and to the point....
    But... (boy do I hate to add this...) Maybe, rotate it a bit so that it is straight on the horizon line?...
    6934673-L.jpg
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    Thank you Andy...
    andy wrote:
    you put a lot into this shot, and it shows. nice job.

I appreciate you taking the time to comment. It's OK if you have something negative to say too. I can take it. :) I do want to keep improving. I am pretty pleased with this picture now. But, I've looked at it for so long, I could be missing something that's obvious to someone else.
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Thanks Ginette,
    I looked through my stuff for a good sky with warm colors. The red circles in the windows were already there. I just had to do some orange glow effect on the building and paste in a new sky. I'm not sure if the building is still too bright for the sky. It does have some pop though.

Where's "Rory's Bum"? I'm waiting to see some work on that. I know that's a good one. Unless you don't want to compete with "Rutt's Butt". Heheheh

SNAPPY... Nice on the windows... What ever you did worked. I think it "pops" nicely, and like it. But that's only mo, and may not hold up against the others.

Did I miss something on the thread about RuTTs BuTT? I messed with it, but never saw a comment, so moved on... But I think he really hit on a winner there... It works, and works well.

RoRy's BuM... Just not sure what I am going to do there. Not sure there is or was enough interest. I think you are one of the only ones really interested in that one. I have a couple of more thoughts, and may yet find some time to implement them. I love the challenge, but it's not what drives me (with the twins (12) home for the summer... they tend to drive me.)rolleyes1.gifStill, I'm working at it... trying to find the right mix... Will have to see what comes. RoRy's BuM or something else...
    Thanks for all of your kind words though... It's nice to get comments now and again.

ginette
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    6940673-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    snapapple wrote:

Well Done....thumb.gif Now you've got me jealous!
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    Lines and Curbs
    Lines and Curbs what think ya?
    6943361-L.jpg

To simple I dunno I kinda like it . But I have been known to have tastes that are bubble off plumb.rolleyes1.gif
    It is between this one and the one below I have not done a lot of shooting lately.
    6815981-M.jpg
    Tim
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    Looks like a cartoon, in its perfection, IMO
    There are lines and curves! Also it is an historical park, a very old house and grounds.

6931052-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    Lines and curves, a fence and a road
    6931042-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    OK, so it is fruit, lines and curves? Well, I love it!
    6931047-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    Thanks for straightening the photo, I was turning them out like an assembly line.

Two simple pictures here, and I might be through for today. Tonight, I mean, have no idea it is 2:30 AM.

6931053-M.jpg

I love white on white. Simplicity, I also love the very complicated, busy one might say. Andy, I am afraid to look at the pictures of wide angles, am afraid I would try to copy them.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Lines and Curbs what think ya?
    6943361-S.jpg

To simple I dunno I kinda like it . But I have been known to have tastes that are bubble off plumb.rolleyes1.gif
    It is between this one and the one below I have not done a lot of shooting lately.

Tim
    I like lines and curbs, myself. And I am not going to get onto that thing about does it, or doesn't it. I am a bit tired of that. It probably doesn't, but I like it.

ginger
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    6940673-S.jpg
    Sid, I love it, another one where I am not sure of the curves, but that is just a myth anyway. One or the other, Andy said, and I am sure his word is true, he is an honorable man.
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    Curves coming and going
    I forgot this. They are a locally owned and operated store, the original is on the other side of two bridges.

6944898-S.jpg

6944701-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    AltPro wrote:

SNAPPY... Nice on the windows... What ever you did worked. I think it "pops" nicely, and like it. But that's only mo, and may not hold up against the others.

Did I miss something on the thread about RuTTs BuTT? I messed with it, but never saw a comment, so moved on... But I think he really hit on a winner there... It works, and works well.

RoRy's BuM... Just not sure what I am going to do there. Not sure there is or was enough interest. I think you are one of the only ones really interested in that one. I have a couple of more thoughts, and may yet find some time to implement them. I love the challenge, but it's not what drives me (with the twins (12) home for the summer... they tend to drive me.)rolleyes1.gifStill, I'm working at it... trying to find the right mix... Will have to see what comes. RoRy's BuM or something else...
    Thanks for all of your kind words though... It's nice to get comments now and again.

ginette
    I liked Rory's bum.

First I had to figure out what a bum was, the other kind.

The more I looked, the more I liked it, and when Snappy mentioned tweaking it a bit, I thought of what a truly good picture it could be.

g
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    Not eligible, I didn't even take it
    This was featured on FM this morning:

25354257827-med.jpg

I just thought it put my daisy effort with the fly in perspective. The daisy's lines and curves are really beautiful here, no? Oh, and I guess when the shot is this good, I have to accept the frame, though I wouldn't have done it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    This was featured on FM this morning:

I just thought it put my daisy effort with the fly in perspective. The daisy's lines and curves are really beautiful here, no? Oh, and I guess when the shot is this good, I have to accept the frame, though I wouldn't have done it.
    I have to say, that as frames go, this on is pretty good. It's very simple, almost like HCB's (RIP) black borders with his signature outside. If I bought a print of this, I'd want a real signature, not just digital text. A real framer could work with this, though they really prefer plain white borders with signature pretty close to image, below. Simplify, simplify, simplify, no?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    6940673-S.jpg
    Sid, this is a beauty. I'm jealous of your night shooting technique. Colors seem very true, which never happens to me at night. How you do that?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    snapapple wrote:

6932522-Th.jpg
    Yes. BTW, if you only have elements, you cannot reproduce what I was doing anyway. LAB in only in full PS. But I think you have nailed it, so don't worry.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    dugmar wrote:
    Just throwing this one out there...

6909416-Th.jpg
    I like this a lot, but agree with Eric that we can make it jump with a little post work.

How about this version:

6948200-L.jpg
    1. Adujstments->Shadow/Highlight. 19/31/85/0... Color correction +20, clipping both .01 This brings up the details in the water and person.
    2. Mode->LAB
    3. Adjustments->Curves
    Here are the curves I used:

6948203-S.gif
    6948201-S.gif
    6948202-S.gif

What's going on here? The L curve is doing almost exactly the same job it did for Ginger in the Turner Sky picture. I have made it very steep in the highlights in order to bring out the sky details (the rainbow in this case.) Then my problem was to bring it in for a soft landing, flatten it so the whole image didn't end up being too dark. I sacrificed some shadow detail in order to keep the curve fairly steep on the water surface. The detail in the trees is distracting anyway, IMHO.

I started off by just steepening the A curve by 12 in each direction as well. But the boat is some hi-vis color that is already very magenta. Steepening the magenta side of the A curve where the boat lives, just put it over the top, out of gamut, almost an impossible color. So I had to treat the two sides of this curve differently. I definitly wanted the green side steep to make the forest look alive and make the lilly pads jump. But I had to bring the magenta side in for a soft landing. The middle of the magenta side needed to be steepend to make the rainbow colors more vibrant. But we had to put things back on track before the boat colors in the deep magenta.

The B curve is simpler. I just steepened it by 12 on the left (yellow) side and 15 on the right (blue) side. I used this asymetric steepening in order to move the sky and water a bit toward the blue side. They were pretty neutral before. This curve has made the forest a bit yellow for my taste. Perhaps the yellow side of the curve should be softened a bit (as I did with the magenta side of the A curve.)

Is this working for this image?

The B curve was just steepened, but a little asymetrically. The left end (yellow) came in by 12, but I brough
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    one or the other or both!
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Sid, I love it, another one where I am not sure of the curves, but that is just a myth anyway. One or the other, Andy said, and I am sure his word is true, he is an honorable man.

honor, is my middle name mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2004
    AltPro wrote:
    RuTT... I played around with your "BuTT" shot... Had fun... Still, I think I may like the original best.?. Again, Great Shot!
    6871910-M.jpg

6871885-M.jpg

ginette
    Sorry I didn't respond here. There has been A LOT of playing around with this shot, here, on FM, and also on DM's CT mailing list. I've gotten many different edits and technique suggestions. Isn't it great when learning is fun?

My three favorite dicisions with this image were:
    1. Lose the arm. The curve is too beautiful in the middle upper torso and the arm really distracted. She could be standing arms akimbo, or with one arm raised, so it doesn't look unnatural.
    2. Lose the sand and simplify and strengthen the waves. The sand was just distracting. No lines or curves there. And actually a little ugly by comparison to the woman. It just wasn't adding anything. On the other hand, the strong simplified wave sets a sense of place. Yes this is a sexy picture, but she is looking out at the ocean into infinity. This would be a good time to come up behind her and put your arms around her, don't you think? She might be open to it. I think that's a large part of what makes it so sexy.
    3. Seeking out professional help on FM and CT with the post processing. There are very different knowledge bases on these two places, but in both cases, we're talking world class. Some were willing to share their techniques (and I've posted on the PS forum) and others won't (I think you might have to pay, like for a magic trick.) Anyway, I've learned a ton from the pros about what to do to make flesh both more beautiful and more realistic at the same time.
    So I guess that your two edits went in the opposite direction of decision #2 which I'm pretty sure was the right thing. Thanks, though. Your ideas are always interesting.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    6940673-S.jpg
    Sid,

I don't know about this one. It's a good shot, the exposure is spot on, but it just doesn't grab me the way that most of your shots do ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    6940673-L.jpg
    Sid I love this shot.. its got WXWX written all over it. Love the colors as, very cool indeed.clap.gif